Guys how do I heel-toe downshift without dislocating every joint in my leg?

Guys how do I heel-toe downshift without dislocating every joint in my leg?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=liXoz9EAni0
youtube.com/watch?v=LzM0VCcahXY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

you don't need to do that on the road ever

Use the sides of the foot rather than heel and toe. That is if your pedals are close enough, mine aren't and as I like sit too close my leg doesn't bend to use toe on brake and heel on gas and heel on brake and toe on gas is stupid and the heel doesn't hit the brake

>Heel toe technique
Isn't the only goal of this technique to save your brakes by using the engine to decelerate? I mean I much rather drop the gear in neutral, brake, put it into gear and rev match/unclutch near the apex...

The point is when going fast to downshift in a way that avoid that huge bump coming from the engine not being in sync with the tires.

By not actually using your heel. Its more like a toe-toe downshift.

You're still using the brakes though.

Rev matching gives you smoother and faster downshifts, that's it.

It's not necessary on the street but Veeky Forums thinks they're Initial (X)D so there you go.

>you don't need to do that on the road ever
Sure and I bet you have never delivered tofu.

It's useful not to freak people out when engine-braking.
Rotate your foot the other way.

The method for those driving cars with smaller pedal boxes:

Place ball of big toe on brake, use edge of toes to flick throttle. Both use the "heel toe" system, which is really just rev-matching while braking. I use it every day, it's fantastic on snow covered roads so you can always be engine braking as you are slowing down.

If you're "freaking people out" with engine braking you're clearly doing something wrong.

First off, that pic is retarded.
You use heel on brake, toe on accelerator.

normies think you're speeding if your engine gets loud.

Get wider pedals, and have the gas extend below the bottom of the brake by a fair amount. Also, ignore everyone who says to not heel toe on the street, I do it all the time and have only scared a few innocent people with loud noises. It's fun to get it right and that's all the reason you need to do it.

Tbh if someone complains about your driving you should think about why they're complaining and do something to alleviate it from happening again.

Engine braking at 5k rpm is fine on the touge but not when you're driving mum to the shop for a pint of milk and a loaf of bread.

you sound like a pussy and I do it all the time so that I can smoothly slow down but always be in the right gear at the right RPM if I need power for whatever reason
it's for assisting your brakes, yes, but also so that you can quickly and smoothly get back on the power when you need it. it's particularly useful when driving japanese rwd shitboxes.
mum gets annoyed if I go slow. sorry about your dumb crybaby family full of grey prius drivers who wag their fingers at anything remotely resembling fun.

>my parents are impatient therefore that justifies my argument

Fun is relative dear, there's a time and a place for everything.

>you sound like a pussy and I do it all the time so that I can smoothly slow down but always be in the right gear at the right RPM if I need power for whatever reason

youtube.com/watch?v=liXoz9EAni0

underrated

AHH HHAA HA AHAA HAA HAAH AHAAA

One of the biggest advantages of manuals is engine braking. I can brake so late into corners its ridiculous. Autos might "might" have a slight advantage in a straight line but corners are where manuals win the race.

Fucking morons.

You are a fucking mongaloid. You can engine brake an auto dumbass. What do you think the numbers below D are

shifting into a lower gear is not engine breaking you fucking retarded monkey

youtube.com/watch?v=LzM0VCcahXY

>>having the motor mechanically disconnected from the wheels any longer than needed

HEEL TOE DOWN SHIFTING ISN'T ABOUT ENGINE BRAKING YOU FUCKING MORONS.
You heel toe downshift because you want to be in the powerband for then you begin accelerating out of a corner.
You fucking idiots.
Why is Veeky Forums obsessed with engine braking?
I heel toe every fucking single time I drive my car.
Not because I need to on the street, because you can fairly easily just rev match without braking, but because it's truly the optimized way to drive, and because it's fun and I like driving so I like improving my skills.
Heel toeing is pretty brainless after you do it for a while.
Just fucking try it rather than bitching and moaning you fags.

You're actually wrong.

Rev matching is purely to allow the user to have smooth and (relatively) quick gear shifts.

How and where you employ it is separate from what it actually is.

Rev matching is not "downshifting to be in the power band", that's just changing down a gear. Rev matching is simply using the throttle to bring the engine rpm up instead of the clutch and heel-toe is just describing one way of doing this.

Why is it that every time a read a heel toe thread there are so many people that try to justify it using the smooth downshift excuse?
I'm a yuropoor, manual is the standard here and everyone I drive with has no problem downshifting without shaking the car apart, pretty much nobody knows heeltoe even exists too.

Are you guys really this much disabled that you can't downshift without people hitting their head on the windshield?
I mean, I'm all for some "immersion" when you want to spirited driving, but don't try to tell me you can't fucking downshift smoothly without heeltoe when my 80 years old grandma can do it.

Reread my post kike boy.
You misunderstood it.

>Rev matching is not "downshifting to be in the power band"
Rev matching is almost always meant as revmatchin downshifting.
Because revmatching is inherent in upshifting.
And you downshift to get into the power band, that's why you downshift you fucking moron. You can go everywhere in 5th gear if you want, but you won't have shit for power.

I think you're misusing the phrase rev match.

The context of the rev match does not define it.

Obviously you downshift to get into the powerband but it's not synonymous with rev matching. You could just as easily not rev match and let the clutch out slowly to bring the engine speed up instead.

Hell, unsynchronised gearboxes require you to rev match to shift up as well as down.

I find it difficult in my exige because my leg is too long to fit under the steering wheel. In my old STI it was really comfortable.

>Hell, unsynchronised gearboxes require you to rev match to shift up as well as down.
REVMATCHING WHILE UPSHIFTING IS PASSIVE
If you have any experience driving at all you are already perfectly rev matching your upshifts.

Rev matching an unsynchronised gearbox to shift up is most definitely not passive.

Yes it is you moron.
Have you ever up shifted clutchlessly?
Same thing.
If how you're shifting normally wouldn't work clutchlessly, then you're shifting wrong and are an incompetent fucking retard.

My pedals are positioned in a way where its almost physically impossible to do it like this. Instead, i use my heel on the brake and toe on the throttle. Try it OP

It's just so you can brake and downshift at the same time instead of braking then downshifting. It just saves some time. I do it sometimes if I need to go right at a light fast before it turns red but I generally don't use it.

Place your foot the rightmost you can so you dont need to rotate it that much,

yes because the only car you ever need is an automatic ff crossover

you fucking busrider retard

Name one (1) situation where heel-toe is the only technique that can pull you out of that situation in a road car built in the last 50 years and with a working manual transmission, on public roads.

Only one, user, prove it that you really "need" heeltoe and you don't just like the feeling of doing it.

Being on/off the brake pedal is confusing to people behind you.

Do you even drive you projecting raceboy piece of shit

You dont need to, but it's more fun and is easier on your breaks

There is no need to H&T in anything except high-performance manual RWD cars, which I suspect you do not own.

>is easier on your breaks

But it's not

Starting the car uphill with a girl in the car.

>autotragic owners and bussriders salty
lmao why are you on this board if you're offended by driving

>This mad over not being able to find an objective advantage of heel toe on public roads beyond muh feelings.

Dude, nobody is saying you shouldn't enjoy doing it, I enjoy doing a lot of pointless things that make me feel better, but I don't go around trying to lecture people into thinking pointless things have actual advantages.
I like it, you like it, but things work perfectly even if we don't do it and you can't deny that.

Another European here. I almost always rev-match, like 99% of the time, because it makes it downshifting much faster and I'm too impatient to release the clutch slowly.

Is there a point to rev match you super autisto retard busrider?

Practice and do what is comfortable and gives you the most control. Disregard:
What works for you is the way I would recommend doing it. I've only done it and even felt that I should do it on a track. Sure you can practice on the street but it's pretty pointless on public roads.

Also, if you really want to learn something about anything, do research elsewhere, don't ask Veeky Forums. Half the people arguing in here probably can't even drive a car with a manual transmission.

it's different for each car. for example, i've recently switched from fwd shitbox to miata. i was heel-toeing with middle of the foot in old shitbox, but miata brake pedal goes deeper and so now i'm kinda using upper part of side of the foot to blip the gas.

just try until you get it right. it takes time to time to do it comfortably.

>I mean I much rather drop the gear in neutral, brake, put it into gear and rev match/unclutch near the apex...
But why not just change gears and revmatch while breaking, what for more faster

Also, when coming to a stop while in gear, the fuel injectors are off as the wheels keep the engine spinning, but when you put it in neutral the car has to use fuel to keep the engine idle. Heel toeing lets you stay in gear longer and everywhere for the best mpg's

>tfw double clutch heel toeing in my 35 year old clunky shitbox
>shifts smooth like a hot knife through butter
>busriders and benchracers will never know this feel

learn to drive retard
I know you americans get no drivers education and thanks to that prefer manual but fucking google this shit idiot

>>tfw double clutch heel toeing in my 35 year old clunky shitbox
>>shifts smooth like a hot knife through butter
>>busriders and benchracers will never know this feel
this
>modern synchronized gearbox
>change gears and revmatch
>it just slides in smoother than cvt

Third Yurofag weighing in, I heel and toe every day, it does just make shit easier, plus the getting it real smooth each time is nice, kinda makes me feel more connected to the car.

Nobody here does it though, I only know one other dude who can do it, and even he thinks doing it in every day driving is stupid.

You tell me, you benchracer wannabe-dagumi

>doing it in every day driving is stupid.
why? i mean, it doesn't cost you anything. i guess it can be pretty difficult to bop the gas just right when you're driving at low revs, but it's matter of days if you want to get it right.

there might be no reason to do it on daily driving, but i fail to see the reason to not do it either.

Yeah the low revs get me every time. Its so much smoother driving fast. Fucking slow normies REEEEEE

Out of all only 4-5 actually addressed my original question

idk, just watch some tutorials or just go to the middle of nowhere where nobody can see you failing and keep practicing til you get it right?

I do toe-toe, the pedals on my car aren’t designed for heel-toe. It’s smoother, sure, but I really only do it to save gas.

OP:
>heel-toe

Entire thread:
>What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills.

I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words.

You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands.

Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue.

But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it.

You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Nice greentext fail, loser.

And at least 1 of them is a furry with video evidence of him spinning out

>he doesnt rev his tiny 4 banger at normies all the time

oh boy for a second i thought i was on reddit

Try putting the left side of your foot on the brake and press the accelerator with the right side. That's the only way I can do it, I don't even have space to twist my foot like you're supposed to. It's also possible that your car just has a shitty pedal setup that makes heel toe downshifting near impossible, in which case RIP

Oh, you get the point.