Car designer

>be me
>graduate with automotive design degree
>finally get job at major auto company
>literally dream about job
>go in
>spend next 2 years designing a glovebox stop for an econobox

did you expect to design a new 2-seater, v12, 800hp, sportscar from the ground up, as your first job?

>I have a wel paying job and an in-demand degree
>whaa why am I not designing bigger dildos to fuck myself with :(

Same
Have a brake master

>glovebox design
Hey, you know what would earn you a spot in the automotive hall of fame? Designi a glovebox with an access panel that allows you to remove the heater core and blower motor without pulling the entire dash. People would build statues of you and shit.

Hey man I watch The Grand Tour as well

design a glovebox that doesnt stop

think outside the box

Holy fuck this. Had to replace Air Distribution Actuator on a Fucking Volvo XC60.

Step #1: remove Dash. FUUUCK

2 years? Really? Are you designing the side stops, or the little pneumatic arm that prevents it from falling all the way forward?

The best design is Hyundai newer twist off ones in my opinion. But the extendable arm still has the stupid pinch release.

Here's a new idea that will earn you millions. Use a mini cotter pin to hold the extendable arm on a plastic stud molded to the glove box. The hole for the pin can either be the injection machine noozle or the form guide pins.

Wow that was hard. Next project.

1980s Ford ranger and the Bronco 2 already did it my friend, probably a cocaine fueled day at Ford headquarters in celebration, charge $200 for 10 minutes of labor in the dealership service department.

I'm actually about to replace mine in my '89 Bronco 2 next weekend.

Designing the arms that stop it from from falling all the way forward. I'm gonna try to steal your cotter pin idea though.

ya dingus you got too specialized a degree
best of luck tho, it's only your first job anyway

You forgot the last part
>fuck it up completely

>Designi a glovebox with an access panel that allows you to remove the heater core and blower motor without pulling the entire dash.
>implying Ford wouldnt assassinate you for doing this
I had to pull the entire dash from a 2014 F150 TO CHANGE THE FUCKING TEMPERATURE ACTUATOR.

Your IP has been logged and sent to Ford's elite death squads.

If they can keep them running, your head will be crushed by V6 GTs.

Here's another. Pioneer the use of Robertson screws. Canadian invention and they are the least prone to strip next to torx and other specialty screw bit designs.

One of Canada's largest exports are car parts. I have 2 Robertson screw drivers in my toolbox but never use them. The lumber industry uses them even though everything is measured using the imperial versus metric.
Production design costs are obviously a factor but they don't have to be high quality metal if they don't strip as often.

why does it take two years to design a fukken stop

Shit you can also reuse the old arms stops that used to be for the pinch release since it's just a open circle.
You just have to redesign the glove box and make a new mold for the plastic injection mould. Not really your job but that will cut costs as well and no more breaking the stop arm prying it off the stiff pinch release. Damn you op you might get a pat on the back because of me.

Im currently pursuing a mechanical engineering degree. I hope my job doesnt suck as bad. I want to help design parts of the engine

If you'd like to go become an engineer, go for it. My first job is admittedly a bit mundane, but who knows what could happen for you?

Id be honored if i could even design the bolts that hold the heads on

>design the bolts
You aren't going to design a bolt, it's going to be picked from a supplier.

Check out Integration and Mechatronics if you want to be involved in a tangible, large piece of auto engineering. A degree alone is meaningless no matter what it's in, but a ME or EE degree along with lack of ambition is not going to lead to doing anything exciting no matter what.

You've never serviced enough things that have a square drive(Robertson drive).

I find stripped out square drives all the time in electrical work, Mexican landscapers change a bulb in a garden light and use an Allen wrench of near size to remove screws. You now have a specialty screw that is a round-drive.

Fucking people, I'm going to start using security torx for everything.

If you can't afford a $3 specialty driver-bit set, fuck you, you shouldn't even be touching tools, let alone own any.

the joke was funnier on the show anyhow

No shit. Design is boring as fuck.
All I see designers doing at work is stirring at a desk all day spinning models around and drawing brackets or pipe runs.

Mechanical development or engine performance is where it's at.

That's how it's always been with Volvos, you fool.
>1. build frame, wheels, suspension
>2. attach heater core and related HVAC components
>3. build the rest of the fucking car

>bashing on what is literally my dream job
Fuck you OP

Robertson heads basically don't strip as long as you use the right size of driver. Only undersized drivers strip those things.

Torx are better but only for larger bolts. They're not great for screws since you can't really put any angle on them without fucking the head, and there isn't enough material in small, weak, shitty screws/bolts like found in car trim etc to avoid stripping a Torx.

My e30 basically had plastic cotter pins for that

>got a Biomedical Engineering Degree
>dream was to design state of the art dildos
>ended up designing prosthetic arms
ITS NOT FAIR

Still made enough to buy an RX7 though

post rx7 pics