So Veeky Forums, what's the fastest yet still reliable car to get for less then 7k?

So Veeky Forums, what's the fastest yet still reliable car to get for less then 7k?

Other urls found in this thread:

honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/d/1995-corvette-holiday-special/6392181616.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

a 3k civic with 4k in mods dumped into it.

>less then 7k?
sorry, i meant 3999 in mods.

Lexus SC400
High mileage 350Z
New Edge Mustang GT
9C1 Caprice
This $2k 90s Corolla with $5k in the motor

How would i go about finding these built civics and corollas? All the ones i see are stock

Not on CL nigga, and I'm saying buy a Corolla DX manual for ~2k, get a 4A-GZE or one of the 20V engines and swap that shit in, get some cams and a MS2 with a tune and a 2.25" exhaust and that shit will be reliable and fun for a FWD

Other than that just try and find a Lexus SC400 cause those engines roll on forever

Any W body for ~$500
Turbo build for ~$600
Supporting mods for the turbo ~$800
Trans upgrades for ~$800-1k? (alot less if you build it yourself)

There, a car that can outrun new 5.0s for about 3k

3 8 0 0 S T R O N K

What about an 8th gen civic si? They only have like 197 hp, but you can find them in good shape for $5-6k, and still have money left for mods.

No dont buy a built car. build it yourself that way you know what has been done to it and the issues that can happen down the road with what you put in it.

that's what that kid did in the "sleepers" documentary.

A have a buddy who did this exact thing, finished his turbo build about a month ago. Thing gaps 5.0s and G8s and he's got alot more room to tune and add more boost

Wouldnt doing this stuff make it unreliable, I'm looking for a car that'll be my daily driver.

It's insane how much that 90° hunk of pig iron will make, shame about the exhaust though
Not if you follow what I said to do with the Corolla, 4As are some of the most reliable engines on the planet and parts are cheap for them

The 3800 is so reliable its a meme, my buddy dailys his turbo Grand Prix because he is poor and cant afford any other cars. His also lives outside and looks like shit but he wants to go fast

Also you could just get a factory supercharged one and build it that way, alot more reliable and easy to mod that way. Shit ton of vendors makes parts cheap and plentiful to go fast. Also W Bodies are everywhere so any OEM replacement shit is easy and cheap to find

When you say W body you mean cars like the Pontiac Grand Prix right?

Grand Prix 97-03 or the 04-08 bodystyles
Buick Regals 97+
Chevy Impala 00-05
Chevy Monte Carlo 00-05

Most people do the Regal or the GP, I loved my 04. Had 194k when I sold her to my brother and it did have a single issue. Would trust it to run to 250k no problem

4th gen f-bodies

werent the 3800s recalled?

this. i had 175k on mine when i finally threw a rod..it still made it 30 miles home on 7 cylinders.

P71

Cobalt ss.

4th gen legacy gt

>"""simple mods""""

It was for engine fires, in some scenarios the rear valve cover could leak oil onto the spark plugs and start a fire. If you go to the dealership all they do is clip the spark plug wires together.

Instead of going through the hassle of doing that, don't let your valve cover gaskets get bad enough to the point where they are literally pouring oil on the spark plugs

so i could take the car to a dealership and they would fix the problem and I would be good to go?

If it falls under the affected VINs and it hasn't already been taken care of, yes

Most of the ones still around have had the gaskets replaced with the superior felpro ones so they won't ever leak again. As said, you can go to the dealer and they'll either replace the gasket with a shitty oem that'll go bad again or install a catch can.

My 04 is still technically under recall but I replaced the valve cover/intake gaskets 3 years ago so I'm not going to bother taking it in

The correct answer. Both under 9k

Wouldnt a 05 stang gt be just as fast, and i can get one for 5k and put 1k of mods into it?

Suzuki with a low boost turbo.

Fucking this

Ls catfishes are always above 10k. Lt1s can be had for under 10k all day tho. 99-04 mustangs can be fast if you put a 150 shot on the stock motor. 05-09 stangs worth having are gonna be above 7k. My friend got an 07 for 3k but its a massive pile. We have had to do a lot of work to make it driveable.

>Ls catfishes are always above 10k
I bought mine for 4k.
>Wouldnt a 05 stang gt be just as fast, and i can get one for 5k and put 1k of mods into it?
A cheap 3v Mustang is probably a time bomb.

Fish Camaros and Firechickens

Volvo 240/740/850/940 with a manual turbo

Eh we did some engine work and it runs like a top. Has all the power. 164k miles. One of the lifters seized and chewed up on of the cam lobes and made a loud ass ticking noise.

Also anytime ive seen an ls catfish that shit is priced fucking outrageously high. Maybe rural kansas is just full of boomers who know what they gor.

I've posted this pic of my mustang a million times but you can get these new edges looking good for fairly cheap.

I've had it for years and the 2v has never given me any problems. I think the biggest thing I've had to do was change an alternator. I barely drive it anymore and it sits in the garage but it used to be by daily driver for seven years. The two valve isn't relevant by today's standards but they are still really weigh light little cars and you can have tons of fun in them. Mine is a 2004 premium gt with only 88k on the odometer and it's a fun weekend car to cruise through the Rockies with.

List of shit I've done with price to make it look like that:

Eibach springs: 300 (this was over 7 years so they're probably way cheaper now)

Maaco paint job: 1200. A lot of people give maaco shit but I've had that paint two years and it still looks good. Could have gotten lucky but I also don't leave it outside and take care of it. I didn't want to pay more than the car was worth for a paint job at a legit shop so maaco worked.

American muscle wheels with nitto tires already on: 800

So for basically two grand and some change the car looks good as fuck. I get compliments from little kids to older folks on it. There aren't many new edges still around that are well kept and I think that adds to the appeal.

The only suggestion I would make is to be sure to get the premium gt or at very least the gt. Imo stay away from the garbage v6, the styling isn't as good and most are in absolute horrid shape. 2004 had the best power output of the new edges. The mach 460 audio is still pretty relevant and sounds great. It isn't my 17 Durango r/t system but it's better than most cars are putting out these days.

I'll sell you this for 9k. Sentimental value and all and the interior looks new. Power seats work flawlessly and everything is still in exceptional shape. "Second owner. No low ball offers I know what I got, see habla Espanol." Lol

maybe for you they aren't

Motorbike

mid 5's on 0-60 for pretty much all years, great exterior, removable top and pop-ups.

What's not to like?

>Turbo build for ~$600
oh fuck off nigger

a 2V mustang is probably what you are looking for. You will find 3v mustangs (2005-20010) in that price range, but they'll likely have a lot of wear or a rebuilt title

2bh

will a 99-04 still be reliable with a 150 shot plus a CAI and new exhaust?

dont have 9k:/

You in CO? Wanna trade for a Convertible black stang? Probably not.

Is your 04 sporting the 4 link or the 3 link rear?

>He doesn't know how cheap the aftermarket for 3800s are

I've seen multiple used turbo kits for ~600 and I have a buddy who just finished putting his turbo on his grand Prix which totaled to just under 600

It's not like new kits are even that expensive. ZZP sells them for 1-2k

7 grand fuckface

yea unless I go really old i dont have the budget for them unfortunately.

You can get a Pontiac GTO for around that.

Since everyones talking about 3800's ill chime in
>cheap craigslist fiero
>3800 II maybe new headstuds
> pontiac f40 6 speed transmission
> 2 t5 turbos from volvos
> intercooler from the same volvo or whatever else u can find for cheap
> a friend that can weld
Slap all that together and including parts youll probably be somewhere around 5k if youre a cheapass like me. Maybe less.
Ittl be stupid fast, maybe even in the 9's on a quarter mile.

BMW 330

>9's on a quarter mile.
>9 second fiero with two (why) T5 turbos and about the equivalent of exactly fuck all flow over the intercooler
>Not to mention the cost to fab something like that even doing it all yourself.

Woah boy.

>Dad
Why did you knock my mom up then not tell her you were married to another woman then when you were found out you vanished for most of my life only to end up here on the anonymous nigger hosting service?

Sounds like a stand up kinda guy

Fast doesn't always equal fun to drive on the street. Just find a sporty car for around 4k, and upgrade various things to increase the ride quality and get it to where you want it to feel. That doesn't mean adding hp, but you could squeeze some with some bolt ons. Having good tires, suspension, and brakes, as well as comfort will go a long way in enjoyment for a dd. Especially tires, dont skip on good tires!

Just get a car that you can make faster later if you want. Something with a huge aftermarket, like a celica, civic, or miata.

fpbp

Yeah the springs. Lol na man.

Get those eibachs and bring it down 1" or 1 1/2. Throw some 18" black/chrome bullits on it. Lowering the new edges does a lot for the looks. The black with chrome brings a good contrast out on black cars like ours.

Mine also just has headers to straight pipes. It isn't obnoxiously loud but is deep and sounds mean as fuck. Doing a custom exhaust with flow masters or an equivalent is a couple hundred to a thousand. Mine was a 100 bucks at a local Midas to cut exhaust pipes and mount them.

Convertibles aren't my thing but you can make that thing look cool as fuck.

Sorry for the million tag posts.

I forgot to add to this. I had all black saleens on it but the contrast wasnt there. They looked good on the original screaming yellow but I didn't like them after I painted it black, it didn't look right. The chrome on the edges of the bullits really bring the paint out and break up the black.

Pic related is before I painted it.

Honestly, don't know. How would I figure it out?

It would be whatever came stock on the 04 gt premium. I'm unsure if it would be different from the regular gt, I'd assume not.

Ye, having a drop top wasn't my choice, but it was a decent deal. 4500 for a car with 100k on the body, and 45k on the motor. Being said the last guy blew the original motor after he threw a blower on it, and in the process blew out his rear end, so I have a junk yard rear end. But yeah there's a lot I can do with her.

If you honestly wanted to buy it and your in Colorado and will take care of the car id work something out with you. My very first car was a 68 Chevelle I bought from the original owner. Another guy showed up with double the cash the same time I pulled up and the old man pretty much told him to fuck off that the car was going to the kid (me).

Where you at in CO? I'm 719

Pic related. Never got to finish it. Joined the military a few years after getting it and spent most my career overseas. Went through a really bad custody battle and had to sell it to fund my lawyer. Originally was gonna keep it and pass it to my son one day. I was the second owner, bought it from the original owner. He even gave me the original pink slip and a pic of him buying it off the lot in 1968.

I'm fucking up this thread with all of my responses and not putting them in one post.

If you got under it, and there are upper and lower control arms on both sides of the rear, then you have a 4 link
If not, 3 link

Same. Constitution and marksheffel. No try to steal pls, I have guns and camera system on my house. Jk, that bitch stays in the garage.

Nah, I wouldn't haha. I live on the west side. You ever go to Street Scene?

I went out and tried to get a picture. I can't see clearly without jacking it up a little or moving it out of the garage. Too cold and I'm in my underwear so I'm not moving it.

Is that the Nationwide productions guys meets up in Denver? If so, always say I'm gonna go but haven't.

If it's something different but local where and what days/times is it? I'll roll by.

Nah 719 Street Scene, down here in the Springs, pretty much a weekly car meet around 9PM on Fridays and Saturdays, google them. Pretty cool, and after every one is done at the parking lot they typically go drag race on some straight away until cops come.

unfortunately not in Colorado, suprised by the number of people from co,.

To a certain point. Realistically you wont be using nitrous all day every day. Stock internals are good to handle 390-400hp reliably. The 4.6 modular loves boost.

Jesus christ thats a beauty shame man. You seem like a nice guy that fucking sucks

Oh idk, that CAI may kill your car bruh. Don't overpay for the CAI, seriously, it is the biggest meme ever. If you gotta do it buy cheap piping and put on a K&N filter. Look into buying used bolt ons. Things like under drive pullies, CAI, etc won't really do crap. You're better saving for a used blower if you want power, or just going nitrous for drag racing.

The problem is that with nitrous i would only be using it at the track, and this would be my DD. The CAI on the new edge stangs adds like 35 hp and 55 lbs of torque with a tune. On AmericanMuscle the one im talking about with the tune is only 400$.

That is a meme. Just about anything American Muscle says is not true. A tune will not really effect HP, Ford pumped all they could out of the 4.6 from the factory while making it reliable, so messing with the ECU and stuff wont really get much out of it, maybe better fuel economy. You would be better off with a slightly rougher cam, that would net you decent HP for a similar price. With the 4.6 2v drive it around stock for awhile, especially if it is your first "fast car", spending money on mods like a CAI won't really help you. I'd recommend tuning up the suspension, and saving for a blower of turbo, or a 4v / 5.0 swap, but that is hella expensive. tldr: American Muscle is the Walmart of Mustangs, google around for a 2v build guide if you wanna know what you will get out of every mod.

Under 7k fucker face.
honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/d/1995-corvette-holiday-special/6392181616.html

Nice car and mods man. What did you mean by 04 made the most power? I know too damn much about these cars and have never heard that.

Also i agree with many previous posters
1. New edge gt -3-6k depending on mileage. Mine is right under 200k with no motor issues. Has been a real factory freak. Kept up with my exhaust m6 ws6
2.4th gen f body- varies so much. An early lt1 camaro isnt worth much compared to a 2000 ws6 optioned out trans am. Good motor and trans here. Ls1+t56 lasted 200k for me before it got sold with no problems.
3. 3v stang- these are quite reliable as well...maybe you could get a 100k mile one for 7k plus tax.
4. 96-98 cobra - could be a good starting point. Teksid block and B heads with a light 5 speed. Definitely do not get this bodystyle GT with 4.6. Pre PI heads/cams are so doggish. But the cobra B heads excel over 8k rpm. And the block is famously strong and light. Plus you get an 8.8 to start with on the stangs as well

Thats mostly it for the price range. People keep posting stuff like the gm 3800 v6, 4 cyl hondas (with a few simple mods ofc), volvos and random shit. Heres the difference...

Look man, its like this. An LS or mod motor car is usually reliable as fuck. Change the oil and raise hell every day to 200k+. The tremec trans you can get with them is a massive bonus. Youre gonna make 300-370 hp with int/exh/tune and go forever. And this nonsense about forging a 3800 with that measly 1 liter eaton....or turboing a honda. Fucking insane. Youll have an unreliable project car with 200 hp...maybe 300 after you do it all. V8s on the other hand will make more without even trying.

And to the people saying a totally buily forged FI honda or v6 will outrun this and that...guess what a forged bottom end FI V8 will do? I made right under 600whp and torque from a blower on stock 4.6l. Went 130k, put forged pistons in, and im dailying it now at 21 psi and 142k miles. A turbo or better newer blower and id be 650-750 at same psi

Could someone explain this please as I am a total noob. They did a dyno test on the site showing the difference and it was a very noticeable one. Did they fudge the results? Put in more stuff then they said they did?

An ls swapped miata.

Honda Prelude
Catfish Camaro
Honda Integra
Mercedes CLK

A 4k F-body with 3k in it. If budget power and reliability is all you want, you cant beat an sbc in dollar per hp.

A lot of people hate on it but I've used them for years and never had any problems.

Id say mustang of camaro v8, but at 7k you might be looking at some reliability issues. Not really sure the prices on them.

You could try a miata with a turbo. BMW 3 series.. or a saab 9-3 viggen or saab 9-5 with exhaust and tune.

why do they hate on it thought?

Yeah, if you want to sound and look like a raging homosexual with your fart cannon'd ricemobile.

I'm new to cars, but holy crap, those particular ones do look like a damned catfish. Now I want one.

I think most just wait things they hear without really having any personal experience with the company. Some may have had bad ones but the people I know use it and cjponyparts and have never said anything negative. It's Veeky Forums someone's it just hate for the sake of hate. That dude may have had or heard of some crazy shit happen to them, idk, I like them though.

But automatic impala is my guilty only car

American Muscle, CJ Pony Parts, LMR, are all gonnah sorta fudge and exaggerate their gains with "bolt on parts". Like I said find a 2v guide on how to get power, there are plenty of guys who have actual unbiased results for all of these mods, and you can pick and choose what is the best bang for your buck. I'm not against buying a CAI and Bama Tune, it is just not very economic. Considering this is meant to be a budget car I gave my opinion. Overall those website I listed are all very good, and can provide just about every part you could need for your Mustang, but they are marketed towards the more normie side of things. However if you plan on doing mods beyond CAI, such as rear gearing, exhaust, cams, etc, having the tuner with free tunes for life will pay off, as some mods will require a tune, and that is a cheap and easy way to do it. There's plenty of forums full of 4.6 modular guys, look there, the New Edge and SN97 are probably the easiest and cheapest way to get into Mustangs. I didn't mean to come off negative at first, just lookin out for you, hope you join the Stang Gang.

someone got beat by a civic and is now butthurt >.>

Fast in a straight line or being able to drive fast anywhere?

Straight line a DSM, despite the stories they are reliable if you dont take modding shortcuts.

Driving fast around corners just get a Civic from 96-00, (or 01-08 Si only)