Furnace oil in a gasoline engine

Long story short I'm visiting my father and needed to use his truck. Fuel indicator was low, saw a jerry in the box of the truck and asked him if it was gasoline (gasoline engine truck). He said yes so I proceeded to empty the jerry into the truck but noticed it wasn't the colour of gasoline (it was red) and realized it was furnace oil lmao. I put in maybe about 250mL roughly 1/3 of a quart, and obviously haven't started the engine since. I know some folks use heating oil in Diesel engines, though this greatly reduces the engine life. If the furnace oil is diluted enough with gasoline, will there be any discernible issues?

it's diesel, the truck will probably be fine

Are you sure it isn't just petrol with red dye in it?
high octane fuel is normally red where i live.
since when is diesel ever red?

Putting petrol into a diesel car can seriously fuck up an engine, but luckily a bit of diesel or fuel oil accidentally finding its way into a petrol engine won't do any harm. It'll probably still run (it might be a bit rough or throw out a bit more smoke than usual depending on how little it's diluted), and if it doesn't start you can just drain the tank and fill with petrol as normal.

It won't do any damage to any of the engine components, and with the miniscule amount you put in, I'd be surprised if you notice any difference in the engine at all if you top the tank up with petrol.

Here in the UK, you can buy 'red diesel'. It's identical to standard diesel, except it's dyed red and is taxed much less than standard pump diesel because you're only allowed to use it in construction and agricultural vehicles.

>red?
For any off-road use, taxed less.

huh what the actual fuck?
that is the weirdest shit i have ever heard.

Furnace oil = diesel pretty much everywhere in the world

I'd fill up the tank completely again and just run it. 250ml of diesel/furnace oil in a full truck tank shouldn't really do much, especially if its an older truck

Croat here, same, ours is 'boat diesel'

The heating oil is diesel. They are the same thing. But the gov't adds red dye to the heating oil to make sure you aren't using it in your gas tank, because Diesel sold at the pump is subject to a road tax.

We used to have ours dyed red too, but now its dyed blue/greenish

No clue why

so do you have like diesel police that check that you aren't being sneaky lol?

Dept Of Transport checkpoints on major routes sometimes yeah, they'll pull trucks over and dip their tanks.

It's a gas truck

Yeah, cops in the UK sometimes carry out roadside checks to make sure you aren't using red diesel in your shitbox.

A bit of diesel in a petrol engine won't hurt it. I used to run my shitbox (ecotec 3800) on 80/20 petrol/diesel mix. It made it hard to start from cold and smokey but never hurt it.

For what purpose? Not rubbishing the idea or anything, it just seems odd to me and I can't imagine any real benefit to it.

drain the tank then drive it in reverse so the fuel in the lines goes back to the tank.

Like others have said, it's diesel. I used to always fill up my truck on company fuel.

Well not the same user, but Diesel is a lubricant, so that may have something to do with it.

It's for agricultural purposes mainly. Imagine getting raped by the sales tax on a 1,000 gallon fillup. Farmers are already subsidized because they lose a shitton of money depending on crop demand and weather patterns. If they lost any more money for daily operations then the industry would die and the economy would suffer greatly.

The difference with normal diesel and furnace diesel is the it does not have the lubrication properties of standard diesel.

Otherwise farms would be using furnace diesel over red agricultural diesel in their machines because of the significant saving

However 250ml diluted in a full tank of gas should be ok