What does Veeky Forums think of the possible self driving car future?

what does Veeky Forums think of the possible self driving car future?

Cars will never be completely self driving. You still need to be able to pilot the car manually for drive thru's, parking lots/garages, driveways ect. So even if all vehicles are "self driving" in the future there will always need to be a manual driving option.

Why would you assume that autonomous cars can't navigate drive-thrus, parking lots and driveways eventually?

I'm sure they will/can but the car can't read your mind to know what spot you want to park in or which window you need to stop at the drive thru

it reeks of communism

Fast food chains could very easily retrofit drive-thrus to tell autonomous cars where to stop, and you could even send your order beforehand and then immediately pick it up.

Parking lots could be digitally managed for used spaces, and then the car would drop you off at the store entry and autonomously find the nearest space to wait for you.

Definitely possible but it would take 150 years for people to embrace that kind of technology comfortably and who know's if we'll even still have cars then.

I don't want to be the future equivalent of today's "horse people" but I want all the shitters to stop driving their own cars because they're so bad at it.

Oh well, guess I'll wait for it to happen and then not worry about it anymore.

Transportation pods

I hate it. Of course that's coming from a hardcore car enthusiast.

I'll stick to driving myself and not letting a robot do it for me.

That's what people said about trains. It's silly and impractical and dangerous, it'll never catch on in a hundred years, yada yada.

>self driving are the future

A FUTURE I DON'T WANT TO SEE

PLEASE KILL ME

If cars become fully autonomous, I'll just fucken take the train and bus, no more need for a car if I don't have any control over it

>t. minority complex who was abused and bullied

This, available through a monthly subscription program

I'm not saying completely autonomous travel is out of the question but I really can't see it happening in our lifetimes. Or maybe when we're 90 and the outlaw anything that runs on gas and/ or doesn't drive itself.

>be 90
>god damn french and elon musk ruined everything I love
>at least maybe someone stepped foot on mars or aliens found us or something cool

Basically, not anytime soon. Camera based driving tech is severely limited in applications, Tesla Autopilot for example is a joke that is only autonomous in perfect conditions. In a world where self driving cars are a thing, two things exist that we don't have. The first is a method for every car is be in constant communication with every surrounding car. The second is a way for the road to tell the car where the lines are and what the signs say. Until both of those things become feasible, cars will need be autonomous.

It's unlikely they will have a too much of a negative effect on people who want to drive themselves and actually understand the concept of driving beyond higher insurance costs. I have been wondering recently about what will happen to CB radio when trucker's jobs become automated though, considering they're the main reason it's alive at this point.

I don't know what decade you love in but truckers are in no way sustaining the cb industry

Is there actually that much CB use by people who aren't truckers, outside of people who enjoy offroading? I figured it was mostly just truckers today, but I guess I never asked them.

>autonomous vehicles take over
>everyone has to get rid of their ICE cars but can't get shit back for them because nobody wants them
>government steps in to help the burden by letting people turn in their gas guzzlers for cash
>set up out front of cash for clunkers PART TWO and buy up dream cars for marginally more than the government credit
>hoon forever

The future is bright boys, we'll have our pick of every car ever to beat the shit out of

>Manually driven cars deemed illegal in 2040
>Poor and middle class required to buy a new car or retrofit their old one for a price
>or the old cars are grandfathered in so you'll be driving for 30+ more years

What is it with people thinking that human driven cars will be outlawed because of autonomous cars? You can still drive cars from before WW1 legally, and you can still ride horses on the road despite them having been rendered obsolete for a century. There's absolutely no indication pointing towards any kind of ban.

>it would take 150 years
Seriously? It takes people a couple years to embrace new tech. Planes, trains, internet, cell phones, PCs, iPads, all that shit had a period of a few months where people were confused, but it became routine in barely any time once it was rolled out on a massive scale.

Yes. This is brilliant! All the old cars will be grandfathered in, encouraged to die off. I just need to learn how to make my own diesel and Petrol. Then I can just sell to car guys all day and hoon past faggots in their plastic smart cars all night.
On a more serious note, I like driving and don’t want to have self driving cars ruining my fun. Although every modern car maker seems determined to give me the shaft by marketing to women anyway.

It's the boomerism creeping up on them. They don't even realize it.

Because they don't actually think about the situation and just spout off whatever comes to mind. It's the same reason why people try to shoehorn the trolly problem into discussion about self driving cars when it would be easiest and make the most sense to just have them programmed to follow the rules of the road. Only negatives effects I can see happening are slightly higher insurance rates (given actual drivers will likely end up being responsable for a higher percentage of accidents) and the US ceasing to hand out drivers licenses in Cracker Jack boxes since the people who needed those extremely loose licensing standards now have an alternative to driving themselves even if they live in a city with shit public transportation.

You don't get the own the car lad. You call it up like an uber. Parking lots won't be a thing.

makes sense desu. Regular people use their cars 3% of the time. makes no sense to own one outright

>I just need to learn how to make my own diesel and Petrol
I heard they're working on oil-producing bacteria, no idea if it's vaporware tho

I want self driving cars to be comparable to that as public transportation.
Turn it into UberPublic.

Gettin anywhere in a autopilot car would suck and be slow as shit.
Imagine 0830, monday, huge ass jams everywhere, getting from point A to B wold take literally 20 minutes normally and 5 minutes via shortcut, what route do you think auto car would chose?
And do not forget impossibility to break any rules, like "Sorry mr. owner we cannot turn right here even thoug its empty road at 4 a.m. we sgould make a huge detour"

Trains are for cargo. The exact moment that car and aircraft technology advanced enough, trains were a dead form of transport. People either want to be in control at all times or get the journey over as quickly as physically possible.

I don't even like using cruise control in my car when on long (cross country) trips. I will delay having a self driving car as long as I possibly can.

Also, desktop PCs, phones, gaming consoles, etc. mess up from time to time and need to be reset, would not like this to happen with my car at 75 mph.

If it's not me in the drivers seat I'm uncomfortable.

Considering it would be stupid and damn near impossible to completely ban regular cars, I'm not concerned. In fact, I'd hope most people get electric self driving cars so there's more gasoline left for people who actually care about driving.

Who needs to park?

Trains are currently experiencing a comeback as roads and airports are overcrowded and particularly car transport is becoming slower instead of quicker.

You know how in navigation systems you can already set preferences between shortest route, quickest route, most fuel efficient route and balanced route? Why would the same not be possible in autonomous cars?

I think it will be cool in the general sense that futuristic technology is always interesting. I could think of a dozen moments right now I'd switch the car into auto and just chill out.
Albeit a multi-million euro prototype, Renault already has a level 4 autonomy setup (no driver interaction period) at least for the roads they're testing on in France.

I don't see wide proliferation happening any time soon, at least in the US. Autonomy in some form is going to be exclusive for newer vehicles which the vast majority of the country doesn't even have on their radar because of economic hardships. These systems are proprietary and excluding Tesla will primarily be offered on high trim or on generally luxury class cars.

The only way you're getting more people on board in terms of personal vehicles is if the Comma.AI guys or a similar project can get the tech good and cheap enough so that any OBD2 standard vehicle can be upgraded. Rideshare is going to be interesting. Assuming legislation and other legal bullshit doesn't get in the way I could see the Uber and Lyft style services completely removing the driver in some circumstances, same goes for public transpo.

Assuming America doesn't have a total economic collapse in the near future, over-time autonomous vehicles would become the norm. However I don't see manual driving being illegal or anything like that. Neither the Corpoliticals nor the USG are going to subsidize this technology for every American, and because the profitability of the ride share model breaks outside of major metro areas we're not going to see a future where few individuals own automobiles any time soon. There is no political situation for the next 100 years where a majority of the US would be ok with a few hundred million vehicles and the personal freedom that comes with them suddenly being banned from public roads would fly.

In summary, in the immediate future autonomy will be an awesome feature for those with means.

If the tech could proliferate and get cheap enough to be a retrofit kit for anything OBD2 complaint I could see most people who really don't give a shit about driving converting over, leaving the roads open to enthusiasts.

We don't have the money to upgrade the roads to make this feasible. The end. Come back when all formerly public roads are owned by corporations or we have finally created hypothetical communist utopia with no corruption.

I'm not incredibly happy about it because I enjoy driving, even if it's just daily driving, but at the same time I know that by the time it finally catches on I'll be much older and tired of it that I'll understand the demand and convenience of it more. Plus there's also the chance that it'll create a boom for the track industry, once regular cars get to the point that they are no longer socially acceptable, legal, or safe to use in the self-driven world. Plus it isn't the death of all things, rally and any kind of offroading should be safe. Motorsports in general aren't being threatened, but right now we are at a bit of a tipping point where people can't figure out if they want their car helping them out or if they want an all human experience. This is why we're still arguing over things like automatic vs. manual transmissions, abs, traction control, etc... a human won't do as nice of a job but that's not the point. You can't just have your car, say, do all of the steering for you and then be like "LOL MANUAL STEERING KEKS BTFO, CHECK OUT THIS AUTOMATED STEERING NIGGERBURGERKING LAP TIME" because that doesn't really say anything. Sure, the feeling of "cruising around town" will no longer exist, but the demand for these things is most potent in cities, which are hell to drive through anyway. Rural areas and small towns are going to be safe for a long time, until they eventually develop more. Then they become self-driven too. Give it 100 years or so and we're already going to be approaching WALL-E territory. But whatever. I love you all

>"This route is not supported due to outdated map files. Please, visit certified service center to install "Explorer(tm)" map pack only for 899$"

I prefer driving and i don't trust computers, but damn it would be nice after i go out and get smashed to just lay down in the back seat of my car and let it drive me home.

look at how many people own new cars on the road and then think about a business investing in 1% of the drivers who probably aren't eating fast food or the like.

Allowing humans behind the wheel is extremely dangerous and will be view upon by history as archaic and foolhardy. I look forward to the day when a driving is license is reserved for highly capable drivers like myself. The general public, and this includes most of Veeky Forums, has no business navigating a 4000lb monolith through crowded cities at lethal speeds.

I'm gonna start casually blowing through red lights because the autonomous shitmobiles on the other side will probably sort it out

I'd love for all normies to get inside of these capsules that will prevent them to doing anything stupid towards me.
New generation of Americans are pussies who doesn't care about cars and don't want to drive anyways.

and be recorded by dozens of cameras while doing so? lol

On one hand you will be entirely stuck with the 15kph autonomous plastic EXTREMELY ANGERY electric cucumber 100 percent owned by megacorporations and/or the state, but on the other hand there would be no women or minority drivers

I look forward to it because I hate driving. Hopefully they tax manually operated cars to death because they will be a huge liability.

>hates driving
>hates cars

why are you on this board baitfag?

I like cars.

I unironically don't understand. Why bother buying a car that is *yours* but you won't be driving anyway? Isn't better take uber, taxi or even a bus?

Police and paramedics. Firefighters and forest rangers. Hell, even NASCAR just to name a few

Obviously for the same reason you buy a car now. Cheaper than taxi, more practical than a bus and faster than both because no waiting time

Sounds amazing. I ride a motorcycle and cagers endanger me every day. Self driving will finally put the cager cuckolds in their place.