Winter Driving

I don't completely understand why people are so inept when it comes to driving in the snow. I was born in the South, so I'm surrounded by people who wouldn't dare go out in the snow (even if it's less than a "dusting"), but I don't have a problem with it. The first time it snowed after I started driving, I thought I would try it out in my Astro van, which had the back seats taken out; I had a difficult time driving (and it was a little scary at times), but I kept doing it just to gain experience since it doesn't always snow in the winter.
Today, 10 years later, I treat it like I would if it was raining hard: keep driving like normal, but remain cautious and be ready for anything to happen.

Why can't people down here be more like me and drive in the snow and ice with confidence?

because people have terrible sense of feel of road conditions. if you take driving seriously you can feel the road through the car. normies just assume that the tires and traction control will do everything for them so they drive like nothing has changed. or they go into ultra cautious mode and drive like a god damn coward.

I live in VT, it snows hard here and no one buys winter tires.
When its snowing and there is like an inch of snow on the ground, with like 8 projected for the night, you will slide easily. Plenty of people dont know how to handle it.
Im talking about your rear end sliding out when youre going 15mph and making a right turn, or your tires spinning when trying to creep forward when the lights turn green.
Go play dirt rally and turn off all the assists and go in a snow or dirt track in the lancia fulvia. Most realistic simulation of driving in the snow I can recommend.

Usually you need to go 10 under the speed limit since your brake distance gets fucked, plenty of people eating red lights in their 8000lb SUVs or nu-"sports" cars.

These are people that have lived here all their lives.
What I'm getting at is, you cant "outskill" your way out of your car simply not having the traction because of the snow. If you drive like normal when its snowing, youre asking to get in an accident.

But I've never been in an accident whenever it snowed -- wait, I'll take that back - I once spun out and ended up on a turning lane across the road, when I drove over some black ice going 55 mph when it didn't rain or snow; apparently some water was running off on the side of the road and it got below freezing that night.

It happened 7 years ago, at 4am.

> Ultra cautious mode and drive like a coward

I personally feel more accidents are caused by these people irritating others who would normally have been fine into taking risks just to get around at a reasonable pace.

in the south, temps are more likely to teeter around freezing than just stay snow or water.

and ice, esp black ice, is a whole different animal.

Shhh!
You're gonna make people question why women are "safer" than men if they realize that the slower drivers is the cause for accidents.
They'll looked further into it and realize that having 100 dents on your car equals you causing 100 accidents that would've gone unnoticed until now and thus making women almost 100 times more dangerous than men in traffic since they can't even handle their cars in slow speeds.

>retards have no self control and drive like shit out of anger

Captcha fucking related

newsflash, dipshit. some people can't afford to wreck a daily driver just going out and fucking around trying to 'gain experience' driving in snow. big deal, you made it happen. do you feel brave? who gives a shit. your type is the worst. the safest way to drive in the snow is to stay home when you don't need to fucking drive. nobody cares that you drove to mcdonalds and back while it was sleeting in atlanta.

What posted

>
>you missed the part about not driving didn't you. if its a medical emergency sure, if you're starving to death fine, but i'm just gonna go ahead and go with not driving when you donj't have to due to the other shitty drivers and also its pretty much unnecessary bc snow in the south lasts about 5 hrs maximum. wait it out, who cares.

So, what are you going to do if you do need to drive out in the snow, for an emergency, and lack the experience to drive on the snow?

>mfw I live in the great white north and people still suck at driving in the snow

>The absolute state of American driving education
Here you fail your driving test if you can't drive your car in icy conditions.
Car culture in USA is a joke.
Everyone has a car, but almost nobody knows how to fucking drive, even less so with a manual.

I find snowy/winter driving in the city comfu because everyone is more cautious and drives slower. I really enjoy just cruising around 10 under the limit with traffic at night

I kind of hate driving with people at all unless they're up for some honing.
Being behind so many people, I just want to go out in a monster of a truck and ram the fuck out of people whos driving I don't like, and after a good 3 or so weeks, spend the 4th week of the month driving around with peace of mind knowing that less of those shitheads are on the roads.

more people drive in america with a manual than the entire driving population of most yurop countries

Might as well go all out and carry around some RPGs and fuck shit up.

A country with 326 million inhabitants having 20 million driving manual is still worse than a country with 20 million inhabitants and 10 million driving manual.
Quantity vs quality.

This.

Snow isn't scary, it's ice that's scary. It doesn't matter what assists you have, what kind of drivetrain or what kind of tires, you will slide on ice. There is no predicting it, there's no stopping it, if you hit ice at the wrong speed or angle, you cannot recover until you're off it regardless of driving ability. I think that is what scares people into driving slow the most.

>8h drive in southern/east ontario
>2 flipped cars, a burnt-down semi and a Volvo in a ditch
Tis the season

People are too stupid to use winter tires.

Everyone I know in washington drives a manual unless they have children

Do you drive a Subaru?

The best tires in the world aren't going to help a dumbass driver. Slam on the brakes like most people on ice and you'll eat shit with even the grippiest rally tires.

Is it true that USA don't have mandatory ABS since 1995?

>The best tires in the world aren't going to help a dumbass driver.

>Here you fail your driving test if you can't drive your car in icy conditions.

I know, that's why you prevent idiots from having a license if they can't handle their cars in icy conditions.
Your driving school should have mandatory ice track tests to see if people are competent enough to drive cars.

Tell the hosers to take off.

The 401 is always a shitshow though

The fanciest modern traction control and ABS systems will still lock the wheels if you mat the brake pedal on a sheet of ice. Your average ABS system is just a vibrator for the brake pedal.

I guess my old SAAB 9-5 is above average then.
But still, it's easy to fix if the problem is dealt before they get their licenses.

I think my dad put it best when he said "Its not your driving that you have to worry about when out in the snow, its other peoples"

We just had a recent snowfall and as I was going down the highway in the far right lane at 60km/h in an 80 zone (I have an econobox, thing is like an Iceskate) there were people passing at 100km/h. THOSE are the danger.

Because assisted steering systems remove any road-feel.

Humanity no longer needs to adapt fully to survive, and therefore they cannot adapt to low-friction surfaces

All drivers should be forced to drive a 1977 Moskvitch with C4 triggered by g-forces for their first three years. First then can our roads be purified

>implying normies even think as far as tires
I love how christmas brings out everyone's hopeful attitude towards humanity

this would level every city in the world in the first 10 minutes of the program

This.

A worthy sacrifice for the betterment of humanity.

>tfw you can't make it up hills on ice
Fuck Pittsburgh

A sacrifice I am very willing to make

How bad is it?

But less people would eat shit, and when you do you eat far less shit.
Have you even tried proper winter tires? You sound to me like a self entitled driving expert just because you are so badass that you drive in the snow with summer tires. We have winter half the year around here, cant just make society and industry run at half speed that time. We put on winters and keep on driving.

are you the fag that tries to weave in and out of traffic going over 10mph everyone else's speed only to brake hard when you end up at the same red light as us?

What? I can't afford to wreck my daily since it's my family's shared civic. I also didn't know how to drive in the snow until it snowed where I live in 25 years and I handled it just fine. You just fucking suck.

>inb4 non-burger

I learned in Commiefornia.

It's bad enough that they test the self driving car program here.

Their statement:

"Pittsburgh presents a unique situation of street design and weather that we wouldn't find anywhere else."

It's just so many one ways, bridges, merge points, tunnels, and absolute shit that they couldn't find anywhere worse.

>Usually you need to go 10 under the speed limit since your brake distance gets fucked

This. Or better yet, go find an empty lot and practice braking on snow.

Accidents happen because crazy broads expect the DOT to just 'make the roads right' with plows and tons of salt. And refuse to adapt to road conditions.

Americans have pussified recently. Friendly reminder, that people in 80s didn't have winter tires and any stability systems. And yet everyone drove cause they were not a bunch of wimpy retards.

>Everyone I know

snow tires r for pussy

r u pussy user?

Because they put estrogen into water and let people with glasses reproduce.

Use chains then you don't have to worry about taking the road less traveled.

Why don't you stop sucking your own dick and accept some people are pussies when it cones to driving in difficult conditions

>snow
>difficult
Found the cuck

2/10, try again

Pents of truth. Fuck people who don't take shit seriously.

>From the south
>Snow is on the road
>>Driving like normal

Stay off the roads

>Taking a 90 degree turn at over 10mph when there's snow on the ground

Winter tires or not, better safe than sorry. Go slow in the corners.

>what's the handbrake
rip it and give it some throttle

>be me
>buy winter tires for rwd sports car
>can now drive places that AWD SUVs are getting stuck
>can stop on snow fast enough to make seatbelts lock
>half the time I try to drift it just hooks up around the corner in slush and snow

Winter tires are not just a meme people, fork out the big bucks and you'll actually stand a chance in snowy conditions

My winter tires+wheels cost more than my car did. Worth every fucking penny.

Nice

Most people don't know the limits of what their car can do and can't be bothered to find out
When I start up my car in the winter I usually check if my wheels lock up while braking (on an empty road ofc) and adjust my speed to the results
I also think it's a good idea to go to an empty parking lot and see what your car does in emergency situations just to be ready for them
Ofc most of the retards just assume that the car will spin out if they go over 40 kph and never ever touch the brake to avoid locking the wheels

so you drive a manual and your mom an automatic
good job user

You know a 'period' ends a sentence, right?
Here's one for you: .
Feel free to copy it and use it at the end of your own sentences.

>are you that fag who overtakes everyone doing 10mph over and then makes the yellow light that everyone else gets caught on red?

Your statement is only true until it isn’t

Thanks man, you're so cool for taking care of my grammar

You nigger faggot

Get rekt

Added reddit spacing just 4 u

Fuck you, man - if I want to power slide my god damn FWD Kia shitbox through snow-covered roads, I'll fucking power slide my fucking FWD Kia shitbox through snow-covered roads.

wasted

I live in Maine and we just got hit with about 7 inches and like an inch of freezing rain after.

All this seems second nature to me and when I see people in the south just fuck up so badly, I can't fathom it. When you're in conditions you're not used too, drive slowwe.

Veeky Forumssis when

I was in Pittsburgh once, and my GPS became completely useless -- I'd pull up to a 9-way intersection and it would say "go kinda sorta to the left" and I'm like "the fuck is this"
How do you burghers deal?

Heavy Drinking.
Did you notice the abundance of bars compared to anywhere else?

>Europoors
>Quality
Topkek

Test

>Everyone I know in washington drives a manual unless they have children
Almost every single person in Washington drives an automatic.
At least anywhere within a 100 mile radius of Seattle.

Ironic coming from someone OBSESSED.