Manual Steering vs. Power Steering?

My friend is trying to convince me to remove the power steering unit from my miata for better turn ratios and "muh race car road feeling" since you can feel the road better. However, having owned a manual steering MR2 in the apst I'm a bit weary. While it does have it's pros and cons, I feel as though the ease of power steering on a daily trumps the benefits of better donuts and skids on friday nights and empty intersections.

Should I remove the power steering from my miata? Or should I keep it? Anyone with a manual steering miata on here? How is it to daily?

If you remove the pump you need to depower the rack which involves a bit of welding, do you have a welder?

>my friend who doesnt have to drive the car every day wants me to make my car a pain in the fucking dick to drive every day because he read somewhere on the internet it would be cool

Its your daily driver. Obviously it would be a really stupid fucking idea. A track car? Sure. But doing this to your DD is just dumb.

There's
difference in a legit manual rack vs a broken power steering rack.

You are retarded if you listen to your friend. Because you are pretty much talking about breaking your own vehicle, and expecting it to feel "BETTER"

Power steering is a awesome thing to have. If you want more power, buy some cams, or an ecm.

1 of my 7 cars has power steering, my truck doesn't even have power steering.
It's not that bad.
My Miata came without power steering from the factory.
The best thing OP could do here is just get a manual rack from the junk yard unless he wants to depower his power rack, but you need a welder to do it properly.

Well firstly removing the power steering isn't such a straight forward affair unless you can easily source a FACTORY MANUAL rack for your car.

Your friend does have a point though: Why the fuck do you need power steering in a Miata?

Well, the power rack has a quicker steering ratio than a manual rack so a depowered power rack would be superior to a manual rack, but I don't know if OP has the tools or skills to properly depower an auto rack.

Gay
Gay
Gay

Power steering, IS better.

>quicker ratios
>superior

Nah, you'd get more control and feel out of a factory manual rack.

manual rack is nice on the track but sux dik for normal driving

On an ~800kg 1.6 litre car? With what? 185/60/r14 tyres? What are you a woman?

>quicker steering ratio is worse
Uhh....

Well go on dickhead, why is it better?

Bro even with my fucking noodle arms I don't have any issue, these fucking soyboys are scared of manual steering in a fucking Miata holy shit lol

Less input needed to make steering corrections

as if you have any room to talk about being able to make steering corrections, furfaggot

I suppose I can see why that would appeal to you, since counter steering isn't exactly your forte.
Meanwhile for those of us who know how to wheel the stock manual rack will do just fine with it's superior fine control and higher mechanical advantage (for the noodlers worried about heavy steering).

You asked why, I gave you the answer, sperg more loser weeb

>superior fine control
How?

god damn, look how easy it was to trigger him

now watch as he goes on a 2 hour sperg episode again

Logic would dictate that "slower" ratios would add the capacity for superior fine control since that's how mechanical advantage works.....
You know science and stuff.

>2.8 vs 3.3 ratio steering rack
The difference isn't even big enough to matter.
You realize F1 cars go full lock without even a full turn of the steering wheel and they have no issues with going straight
Sperg more

Next thing your gonna say is a miata with broken abs and a.c. is better.

GaY
Lol kid. You are an idiot.
Counter steer into ops butthole. And fine control his balls on your chin.

Gay!!!!!

Ok do not destroy your already gay car.
You might as well put the top down, and rock the Mr clean bald head. Looking gay

depowering rack > manual rack
has better ratio

Magnificent

Gay
Gay
Gay
Bench racer champion

there he goes!

We both know it's true but these weebs can't stand that I'm right so they are playing devils advocate

Mazda designs a rack to work with power assist.

" o dudez remove the seal and flux weld it brotha itz jdm mad tyte"

Mazda designs a manual rack for the miata.

"Dude that's gay"

>a furfag
>that almost killed himself because he doesn't know how to steer
>talking about steering

kek

he will sperg at this post

The differences between the two racks are small, one has a hydraulic assist which is easy made non-operational, the same operation and design is shared between the two racks and the powered rack has a better ratio when depowered correctly, I've depowered racks before, it's simple and effective.

If I poop in my pants, will that make my miata faster?
You know, because I want to drive to the toilet quicker.
Is there a way to make a methane injection system that uses my farts as boost?
Maybe a vape injection so my exhaust smells like cinnamon toast crunch?
Are you gay?

Don't ever let your friends talk you into something related to cars
>duuuude cut your springs
>get some 20" wheels on that civic
>a small steering wheel would be awesome
>get manual steering even though you have power steering

>but the difference is minor
Shifting goalpost, you were the one who claimed quicker was superior.

>muh F1
If your Miata is setup to be as twitchy as an F1 you've probably done something wrong.

The difference is minor when it comes to "fine control"
There are no fine control issues from a ratio, otherwise every powered Miata would have issues with said fine control would it not?

>A.B.S
Can't say, never owned a car with it.
>AC
>on a 100hp no torque engine
I seriously hope you don't do this...

what exactly do you know about "fine control"? you can't even take a corner at 20 mph

shut up furry, learn to drive then comeback

Not an argument

go away

Dude, don't take pictures of your dad's dildo

sperg more

Not an argument

The difference in control is as minor as the difference in "fast steering corrections" - since again that's how ratios work.

>Increased speed = decreased sensitivity
>Increased sensitivity = decreased speed
It's pretty simple stuff and there's a reason Mazda chose a different ratio for the manual rack - they considered it to be the best balance between sensitivity and speed.

not a good driver

Not an argument
Not an argument

he is sperging now

There is a difference however.
It all depends on what you want out of your car, Mazda knew the car would be driven on the road, if you wanna drive it on a track you want the quicker ratio, simple as that.
Same reason the Mazda speed Miata gets an even quicker rack than manual or powered racks of base model miatas.
Mazda knew people would be racing it so they gave it a quicker rack.
Not an argument

If you've never had abs, you must be either Russian, or 100% broke as fuck, and always drove broken cheap ass cars.
If I had a miata I would keep the a.c. and remove the belt for the a.c. while at the track, or just not turn it on. You do know the a.c. pulley freewheels until activated.

You sound like some kinda parker.

You are gay indeed

what go pro mount do you use. mine always pops off from that angle

that looks like Yosemite
where you at fag

>REEEE IF IT DOESN'T HAVE ABS IT'S SHIT

1990 SW20 MR2 at the mo, got a few other sweet non-abs cars sitting around too.

You got a youtube for that shit? I want to hear your retarded or non-existent throttle input.

I doubt, a 21:1 vs 20:1 difference in ratio translated to even 1/10th A second improved time

Quick ratio steering is usually only a gay autocross mod used for the gayest of people who love picking up dudes and cones. When they gay it up for auto x they use one of these dildos

Haha now we're getting somewhere!
>It all depends on what you want out of your car
Won't argue with you there, if you'd said something along those lines in the first place you could have saved us both a lot of typing.

I did say that though
I even said he should just put a manual rack in too.
Also, Mazda sold the MSM as a street legal car with an even quicker ratio than either of the base models, even Mazda acknowledged that a quicker ratio would be safe and precise in standard road going conditions.

The mr2 is gay af.
Might as well just fuck dudes now.

A real car has a turbo, 4wd and abs.

Compelling argument friend.

Mc crummy is a gay furry that can’t drive
CANT DRIVE
A
N
T

D
R
I
V
E

WORSE THAN HOON
O
R
S
E

T
H
A
N

H
O
O
N

Refer to
You got btfo and have no argument lol

Nigger what Gopro mount do you use

Your friend is a fag. I looped my p/s lines on my roadster back when I owned one and it wasn't that good. Undid it after a week and enjoyed power steering. If you really want more "road feel" and feedback, increase the fucking caster.

Come on brah post the youtube for your heaps pro touge driving!

Mr2 means

Mr. Times 2
So it literly means dudesx2

It's so gay, balls have touched and formed 1 sack with 4 gonads in it

Panavise suction cup and a magnet base, video was with the suction cup on my back window

Ah
I use the dual cup one on my moon roof but it dosent hold on my back window

Thanks m8

>i cant drive manual steering therefore its shit
t. this entire thread

I had to scrape my defroster off the window with a razor blade to make it stick, otherwise it just falls off after 5min

Don’t you need those

I don't but you might want it

It's not the 1980s anymore jerry

Why

It dosent involv welding
Look it up on YouTube
Ezpz

Good power steering is always better than no power steering.
that is retarded is electric steering.

If you don't weld the assist valve the steering will have play in it, why even depower if you're not gonna weld it?

Why even bother putting a go-pro in your car if you're not gonna post the video for Veeky Forums to laugh at?

That doesn't make sense in this context, I did post the video.

Do you like girls with big or small vaginas?

It's terrible, I can barely drive without power steering and parking is a nightmare.

>you'd get more control and feel out of a factory manual rack.
just like i get more control and feel from accidentally shifting from 5th to 4th, or burning my clutch?
smaller steering ratio is better because for any movement (assuming your hands are fixed in place) your hands travel less.
meaning, you can make a sharper turn without taking at least one hand off.

people were stripped of "full and direct control of their cars" in early 1930s when first brake boosters were made

The less you steer the faster you're driving - didn't you watch the Gumtape Deathmatch eps?

>that's not how you drive
>didn't you watch the anime
>didn't you play the video game

who cares as long as their pussy lips don't touch.

You know I've never once thought to myself:
>I wish I could steer faster

I know you have however....

I mean if you just drive a civic to work and back at McDonald's or Walmart yeah you won't

Or if you just don't counter steer way to late and spaghetti arms it up......
Turns out that if you counter-steer on time the castor basically does all the work for you! Who would have known?

Ok mr race instructor lmfao
Go back to your cheeto dust covered controllers holy shit lmao

Compelling argument.

>However, having owned a manual steering MR2 in the apst I'm a bit weary

If you can't handle an MR2 without power steering, an MX-5 is only going to be worse since you have the weight of the entire engine sitting on the front wheels.

And yet I never crashed and kept my car on the road, feels good
God I love this car

>because you were going so slow you really have no excuse for losing control in the first place

Why did you even greentext that?
Hitting the brakes in a turn will cause a spin, I was going about 45mph, plenty fast for the ass to come around

Gunna need full footage with audio to properly analyze your retardation.

The purpose of power steering is to assist in parking end of story. Once you go down the road at speed the pump provides less assist since only slight move of wheel turns the car.
Removal of power steering is for weight saving only your not gonna make huge power just free up 1-2hp

>The purpose of power steering is to assist women and soyboys in parking end of story
ftfy

The funny thing is, I'm a soy boy and I have manual steering and a manual transmission.

If even I have manual steering and you still choose to have power steering, you're just a total faggot.

Geez get a load of this faggot

No you don't, typically you just need to loop the rack.

My NSX has manual steering and is much heavier than your Miata and it's not bad to daily. Multi-point turns and parallel parking are a bit more annoying but it's fairly rare to have to do either of those things. In a car like a Miata you'd barely even notice it since it's so light.