Would my kid be good in a 2000 V6 Mustang w/ 160k mi?

Would this make a good car for my teen?
jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-ford-mustang-5-speed/6433018974.html
>Pros: great price, great interior, seller seems to know what he's doing maintenance-wise
>Cons: high mileage, it's a V6
I think a teenager with a 15 mile daily commute/45mph speed limit really doesn't need a V8. I may be wrong though, which is why this post exists. Also don't say 3k civic

3k toyota camry

don't say that

Florida fag here from the same area, I could be wrong but I bet he's going to crash the shit out of that thing thinking he's in some race car.

yes but if he paints a punisher skull on the hood immediately light it on fire

post pics of your teenager

maybe. kid's pretty responsible though so we'll see
hah, that's funny because he called me a fag for using a punisher dust cover on my ar (in a joking way)

yours first

PS what's the average cost to hire a mechanic for an hour and inspect a car?

Teen with a v6 here
At this point in time v6 and v4 don’t mean much
Since the v8 of 1990s has the same amount of horse power as a v4 now

Power is good because it can save your ass if you need to get out of a dangerous situation quickly

There are 2 types of safety in a car
>slow but a tank so not giving a shit if you get hit
>fast and can avoid wrecks

An old car won’t stand up in the tank build like a new car
So the best way to do it is be too fast to be hit to begin with

Your kid will drive crazy no matter what
Everyone does

Worry more about gas mileage and miles

Cylinders arnt everything
It’s about horse power
A v6 from 2000 has the same power as a 4 cylinder from now

thats what my first car was, worked fine for me

When did it give out? I feel like 160k is too high

100-150 for thorough inspection

It's RWD and a bit light in the back. Not ideal for a learning driver/teen who will do stupid shit, but not terrible, certainly better than a pickup.

19 year old with a V6 here
>I’m going to say as long as he’s only driven 4 cylinder slush boxes like I have the V6 will be enough to put a grin on his face

You guys are fucking morons. A Mustang GT of that same generation won't be much more money, and it'll have an infinitely better engine. V6's in Mustangs have always been trash, and the V8 redeems the rest of the problems the car has.

You have to be objectively autistic to pay real money/actually drive a fucking V6 Mustang

inb4
>hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr le new veeeesix makes as much huuursepower as le old veeeeeight

best post here

listen to this guy op

You seem to keep ignoring the driver and his needs. It's a fucking teenager

What I really want to know is about this car in particular. Do you think it'll be a junker with such high mileage? Should we try to get it for less? Or hold out for something else to come along?

Pros: Decent handling, 5 speed and traction control off should be fun enough for a kid. No loss to automotive society if it ends up in the crusher. Cons: shit exhaust manifold, mediocre gas milage. Leaks like a sieve (fuck Ford for the drain routing on these tubs). Jew him down to $1500 and go for it.

Your point? Might as well spend money on a solid car rather than burn a pile of cash on a rolling piece of dog shit

>Do you think it'll be a junker
It's a V6, it can't be anything other than a junker.

Wear my ass boyo

>V4

Go look at it and see if it’s taken care of
I have a Honda with 160k miles and it’s nothing because it was owned by a grandma
It’s all according to the previous driver

But when old cars 80-90s were made
Planned obsolition wasn’t a thing
They were made to last forever as long as they were taken care of

160k miles is nothing
You need to worry about miles around 200k

Thanks
Holy shit if you're this asshurt about the fact that other people with less of a budget appreciate your vehicle of choice you should just leave

Easy to type
Fuck off nigger

>cool enough son will like it
>slow enough he can’t actuly race it besides regular hooning he would do allready
>old enough that he can work on it himself without computers

Cons
>possibly owned by another kid that beat the hell out of it
>gas mileage

It all about looking at the car

I want filthy boomers off my board.

Op seems cool fuck you nigger

Could have been
>oh user it’s a mustang you can’t get those
>why don’t you get this nice 4 door Kia, it’s slow cause it’s safe hur dur
>you DO NOT NEED TO BE GOING FAST! I don’t care what you say about avoiding an accident! You are my little baby and you will never drive over the speed limit!!!
>oh we can’t get that one it’s red, you would want to race it

>cant take another second to type 4 cyl
>calls others niggers
?????

its cool that youre buying your kid a fun car but mustangs arent too practical so maybe that should be a consideration. there's plenty of fun cheap cars in the sticky if you care to take a look

You buy a teenager a car assuming they will crash it.

this. and with that in mind
this

>kid's pretty responsible though so we'll see
every parent thinks their kid in an angel. morons.

>v4
>hurr the modern turbo 4 makes as much power as an older v8 therefore the old v6 is somehow as good as the old v8 even though in reality it's slow as dogshit

They don’t want it to be fast you fucking kike

What the faggoting fuck is the point of a car if it isnn't the fastest thing on the road??

To get you where you need to go, not how you do it.

Get back on the bus

It's good- 190hp stock, but more like 150-160 at the wheels. The way it's built, you can only do a one tire fryer, no burnouts even at a light. It has enough to feel slow car fast if you really want to gas it.

The V6 is bulletproof as far as reliability goes, you can drive it like you hate it, and it'll still putter along. I still got my 2000, roughly 222K and counting on the odometer.

If he's that responsible, have him keep up with the maintenance on it. They're easy to work on. Lots of parts if something does break, and you can jew people down on the price because who wants a V6, even if it's a parts car?

No, your kid would not be good with a car that's older than he is.

what other maintenance do you have to do in these things besides oil changes? he wants to learn I think

It’s only 2k and a v6. Don’t worry about how high the milliage is, as long as it’s gets him through the rest of high school then I’d say you did good. Even if it breaks before then, repairs will be cheap as hell considering how readily avaliable parts are for a late model domestic

It's a good first car if he's looking to get into wrenching- your standard stuff keeps it running fine- fluids, check for leaks, checking hoses, belts, fuse box, tire pressure checks (good tires make a difference on a stock New Edge's ride, let alone lowered springs/sway bars).

If you do your own brake work, it's a good car to teach with. Easy to get on/off and change out.

When I was totally clueless about cars, but wanted to learn, my dad had me go work at a local car wash and pick up on some of the cosmetic things and basic detailing- teach him some of that stuff if he's interested too- you get to see results right away and it keeps you wanting more. If it's an older vehicle, have him learn how to clean/restore headlights, change the bulbs, remove the light assembly. They're really easy on these. Same goes with the 3rd brake light, since those tend to be all hazy on older vehicles.

Mind you, you can do all of this with any vehicle, but make him own the car, but in a way that makes him enjoy the upkeep too.

Almost forgot to add, 99-04 models improved the reliability under the hood along with the added HP- 94-98 had head gasket issues among other things. I'd try to talk the seller down a bit, but 2K if it's well kept is worth it. You can read a lot on Mustang forums how v6s last well into the 200Ks before encountering issues and needing a replacement tranny/motor.

V helpful, thx anons

Like any other car: ignition, tranny, diff, brakes. It’s not a very complicated engine.

Wouldn't lots of that already be done at 160k? When are the 2nd intervals?

Stop pretending to be your Dad

To be honest most V6’s are much more taken care of than their V8 counterparts since the V8’s are usually driven like corner store whores whereas the V6s are slower and therefore the owners usually don’t thrash on them as there’s no point

>V4

>v twin
>v6
>v8

But not v4

The system is flawed

This is a good point too, a lot of the GTs are either modded to shit, or people had their fun with them. V6s sit unloved, often in garages or elsewhere, a dime a dozen.

Hell, I've seen a good amount of CL listings where they outright say they want to sell the v6 because they got something better.

But that user was arguing that v6 mustangs were good.
Have you ever stopped to think about what the names might represent? Like layout and cylinder count for instance?

Can one ever recover from being called a busrider on Veeky Forums? Asking for a friend.

he's got a point, user
even outside of a power perspective a v6 is much worse than a v8 because the v8 has a lot less stress put on all the cylinders. Also mustangs with v6 engines were produced as economy tier so expect everything else about it to be cheaped out on by ford.

no
if you cant afford a car now even if you get the fabled 3k civic you'll go back to being a busrider when anything goes wrong on it

Don't buy your kid this shitty car. It literally drives like a boat and makes 140hp while getting 17mpg.

Guess I know what to do then.