I currently drive a 2012 Hyundai Accent and I want something that's not a shitbox from 2005 but also fast and...

I currently drive a 2012 Hyundai Accent and I want something that's not a shitbox from 2005 but also fast and affordable.

I found a good condition 2012 Dodge Challenger V6 for $16k with 22k miles.

Is this good? My father-in-law keeps suggesting a Challenger but literally every car he owns is Dodge so I feel like he might be a tad biased. I just wan't something 250hp+ for under 17 grand, that won't brap out on me in 2 years or require heavy maintenance.

Other urls found in this thread:

cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d292&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c27153&zip=32765&distance=50&searchChanged=true&lostFilters=Trims&maxMileage=54000&modelChanged=true&filtersModified=true#listing=192953212
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Correction it's the V8.

What about the Camaro or mustang? Also 370z, g37, focus st, c5 Corvette, etc. Lots of options for 250+hp under $20k

Sounds like a fair deal op
Keep in mind those hemis aren't cheap to tune up. Unsure if it's the coil on plug & 2 plugs per cylinder but if so you're looking at like $800 for a simple tune up

If you can live with the shittastic pre-2015 interior, go for it. Dont buy your father-in-law a car, buy what you want.

>370z
>under 17k

Yeah, one nearing 100k maybe.

>modern cars
>tune up
go to bed boomer.

Theres a lot of good options you can go with, but remember that any sports car with DI, rear dfiff, etc. will cost more regularly than your Accent.

My Charger is roughly ~$600 every 5000 miles for an oil change, rear diff service, injectors, etc. Probably getting screwed by my dealership, but I dont have time to do it myself.

Challengers are fun, but they're literal land yachts. They're wide and big. The upside is that its fast on a straight and has a huge road presence.

Look for the kind of car you want, if you want big and fast, the challenger is cool. The Camaro and Mustangs will be smaller and feel slightly more nimble, but if you head to the 350z/370z/GenCoupe/G37/Vette you'll get way better handling, and still be pretty fast. (The challenger easily has the worst interior in that generation tho, desu)

Replacing your spark plugs is still a regular maintenance you fucking child

I always thought about Gen Coupe but he kinda talked me out of it.

Never really driven anything bigger than a 2015 Mazda 3 though. What happens if you dont do that $600 shit shit every 5k miles? The only thing I really do for my accent is get a $20 oil change from pep boys and rotate my tires twice a year.

Do Americans actually only expect cars to last like 150,000km?
they should last half a million at least without major maintenance.
if it doesn't it is a lemon.

V6 Camry or Accord, both 270+ hp, both fairly reliable, both available 2010 or newer for under $15,000.
Granted they're not the most exciting cars out there, but they're pretty good all rounders.
> owned 2002 Hyundai Elantra for 10+ years
> got tired of getting burned at the light by moms in minivans
> bought 2009 V6 Camry last year
> feels better

Iridium spark plugs are like $7 each. Where the fuck do you get $800?

Fuck your father in law

>~$600 every 5000 miles for an oil change, rear diff service, injectors
Wait, what do the injectors need every 5k? I see nothing about injectors or diff in the Dodge maintenance schedules

Why did he do that?
The gen coupe is a perfectly fine car, its just that the interior is a little cheap. Comes in lots of trims,and can get serviced at any Hyundai dealer.

Honestly? Not much as long as it gets done eventually.

To be honest, i could be misremembering. That may have just been my last service since I rolled over 60k.

Lol

Most cars made nowadays don't make it to 100k without problems

Sorry for the cancer hyperlink but is this good?

cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d292&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c27153&zip=32765&distance=50&searchChanged=true&lostFilters=Trims&maxMileage=54000&modelChanged=true&filtersModified=true#listing=192953212

I'm not necessarily looking for sporty/musclecars, just more fun to drive than this fucking 138hp Accent.

He hates Hyundai for some reason and just constantly talks about negatives of Genesis whenever I mention it.

I googled it, seems some thirsty repair shops are on dodge boards promoting the idea that you have to change the diff fluid regularly because it "has no filter!" Geebus christmas anything to take money from the customer

What are you smoking?

I mean you can point out negatives in any brand when you start really looking.

Like take my charger for examples - it eats gas, the interior is subpar, the seats suck, uConnect is a fucking joke(Im not gonna pay $$$$$ for navigation and be able to have spotify and shit built into my car). The general build quality overall is just eh. But outside of a couple of rattles over 60k miles, i havent had any real problems.

Could be. I'd have to go double check over my records.

>I found a good condition 2012 Dodge Challenger V6 for $16k with 22k miles.
you can do better then that for 16k

get a v8 ffs

I own a 2.0t Genesis Coupe as my DD. There's nothing wrong with it besides space if you need it. I'm also 6'4" and 220 ibs and fit in it fine. I put a short ram intake on it and that turbo sound is utterly lit.

It's fully loaded, low mileage, and right under $15k, that's a pretty decent car that quick enough in the real world and should be trouble free for quite a while.
I'd go for it.

Also this bit about the interior:
It's actually pretty nice. The gauges and dash are very high quality, and the dash is leather wrapped instead of the pseudoleather hard plastic in most cars in that price range. Speakers and interior are nicer than the gt86 and the car is usually cheaper with more power.

Maybe cheap was the wrong word, and that's my bad. Maybe not-well-put-together is better. The plastics around the center display and controls clashes hard with the dash's leather and that just comes off wrong imo.

Speakers are good not as much low end treble&bass quality as I like, but thats not the important soundtrack anyways once you get the right exhaust on that car.

The bae has a 2014 Gen Couple, I love the car except for that she got it with the automatic.

It seems as tho OP is a "casual" car owner, not necessarily someone who would modify his vehicle, or even do his own maintenance.

Nothing wrong with that, but while I think OP would certainly appreciate a bit more pep out of his car, I doubt he wants to switch to a manual transmission, kill his mpg, or research for hours on forums to find just the right modifications for his car.

I think is on the right path: plenty of 250+ hp sedans out there that offer a lot of space, mpg, reliability, without having to pay riculous amounts of money on car insurance, repair bills, or anything else associated with "sports cars".

OP, you would probably appreciate an Honda Accord V6, or a Acura TL Type-S. Maybe a Nissan Maxima, or Altima V6.

V6, front wheel drive sedans are an easy way to get performance while maintaining practicality and comfort.

You can also find the for cheap if you're okay with them veing 1-2 years old, with 15-30k miles on the odometer.

What rock are you living under? They can be had for around 17k with around 50-70k miles. Also, 100k is nothing for a modern car. Even older 90s cars can be expected to get to 200k without major issues.

oh sweet

do it

You can get a Lexus IS350 for $17k. Very reliable, nice interior, and just as fast, if not faster, than a Challenger R/T.

> tune up
Who the fuck uses such words? You have no idea about cars and trying to give an advice.

I used to own Dodge Magnum with HEMI. Spark plug replacement took me about an hour of very simple but monotonous work. And I've bought 16 of OEM ones for 32 dollars btw at Autozone.

Other shit like filters and stuff is dirt cheap too.

Nothing, because I can't.

What are you smoking? Cars made today are safe, just not reliable.

>Cars made today are safe, just not reliable
I think it started to happen since the Golf, when VW realized that they made a mistake building a good car.