/ovg/ - Clean Racing Edition

Previous Thread: Our Wiki will answer every question you could possibly have. All frequently asked questions can easily be found on the main page itself:
>get-good.net

Swing by our Mumble server and introduce you are self!
>Mumble IP: mumble.get-good.net
>Port: 64738

Join the /ovg/ group on Steam!
>steamcommunity.com/groups/ovgonsteam

Equipment Guide
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uLKMbKwweUZ3QvFeNs8UeycZbDyo0McxGj7T6uTaTNo/edit#gid=0

We're racing rFactor, GTA 4, Forza and AC on the weekends. Check out our Google doc for more info!
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3KWTJsrlS9X2EZUNXY8KbHfsHD-t3_EU_A1n6wBBQc

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.reizastudios.com/threads/setup-simplified-quick-start-guide.2171/
get-good.net/index.php?title=/ovg/_Szilveszter_Rally_2017
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>if i slowed down before the crash became critically dangerous, people might get ahead of me! instead i'll drive full speed and crash too
people need to watch that iracing rookies vid i swear to fuck

halo
how 2 play fifa

More like
>if I slowed down before the crash five people will crash into the back of me
It's like you've never played a racing game before.

You taking about James?

We aren't racing rFactor anymore
By anymore I mean never again
F

>car feels fine
>many seconds off pace
>no idea where to start on the setup

>if i brake for longer than is necessary, keeping the brake lights on, people will clearly see that i'm slowing down and won't freak out and ram into me
wow magic

>if I slow down for longer than necessary twelve cars will run into the back off me instead of five.

i'm saying instead of slamming on the brakes, use the lightest possible braking force you can get away with to give the people behind you as much time to react as possible
y'know, like you would in real life with real drivers

forum.reizastudios.com/threads/setup-simplified-quick-start-guide.2171/

t. IceRacing simdad

>y'know, like you would in real life with real drivers
Wait you telling me causing accidents and getting your car busted isn't just something you can play off in the real world by blaming the other driver?

If you're so far from the accident that you have the opportunity to brake gently you probably don't need to brake at all.

>best matchmaking of any racing game

The only winners in that crash were the first couple of people who crashed, what that tells us is if there's going to be a big pileup it's best to drive at full speed and try to get as far forward into the crash as possible so you can wrestle your way out.

The plebs who used your tactic are now stuck behind 30 other people all facing the wrong direction.

those are bots though. well, at least i think so

the point is that slowing down means you can respond to what's going on more actively because you're not trying to blast through

the only reason that's the case is because the majority of people there didn't care, probably because damage was off

Name a better game

>the only reason that's the case is because the majority of people there didn't care, probably because damage was off
It's AI, and they are using cars that have twice the power they are supposed to have, twice the weight they are supposed to have, and the brakes are disabled.

Still funny.

>to be first
>first you must finish
I win or take podium positions on most races simply because I'm consistent and don't crash trying outlandish overtakes. Half the time my overtakes come from applying pressure by following very close and waiting for the mistake.

Why are most 'drivers' so impatient to wait for the right moment??

Project CARS 3

/OVG/ RALLYCROSS WHEN???

see

>game

hmm...

>people don't know how to take that corner on spa

Damn, that's a lot of understeer.

>Why are most 'drivers' so impatient to wait for the right moment?
because most people dont do races longer then 20mins so you have to make something stick 4 mins ago

That's actually pretty realistic for old Porsches.

>what is trail braking.jpg

>wanted to spam rfactor webms for theoretical shared nostalgia from ae86 series i participated in
>realized i only have couple of my own shitter moments (i was beyond shitter back then, just got the wheel, locked brakes on every corner) and no generic race souvenir webums whatsoever
now i'm sad. christmas is good time for nostalgia, even fresh nostalgia

i was so proud of this overtake for some reason. god i was cute, such a skillless little tryhard

How do i become the embodiment of /ovg/?

I like how the same webm over the years has changed and evolved in it's meaning as a meme.

People used to say we would never do rfactor again after ovgt3 S4 and look how that turned.

I've never played iRacing in my life. After seeing the shitshow of rally in it, the incomplete pit crews even after they had like 10 years to make them (Despite them apparently already being in the game iRacing is essentially a mod of), the way that they model damage (fucking DENTED carbon fiber panels and wings, need I say more?), and how they charge 10-15 bucks per individual car AND individual track with no guarantee on the authenticity of either, I don't want to.

I've got AC for touristenfahrten simulator, pCars 2 for best physics, GT Sport for actual competitive racing, FM7 for shitbox and supercar tuning, BeamNG for destruction, Mudrunner for offroad, automobilista for obscure shitbox racing, and truck sim for autism.

>pCars 2 for best physics

Good on you lad, would race you in real life.

>pcars 2 for best physics

inb4 RRRE.

that's the worst opinion i have ever seen in my life

>mustang not at fault
doctored footage
also hi james

I didn't say it had good anything else.

Threadly reminder that the Recce videos for the Rallyfactor event on the 30th have been released on the wiki and that the skin deadline is next Thursday at 11PM GMT.

get-good.net/index.php?title=/ovg/_Szilveszter_Rally_2017

>pCars 2 has best physics

>Already do that, trouble is that I can't set competitive times with the stratos on snow/ice, vs other FR type cars which I have a pretty easy time with.

First off, the Stratos is an overpowered piece of too-lovable garbage. The only reason it's not known for literally killing people is that the RS200 took the title first because it was a windy day or something. The Stratos is an unbroken horse.

>This bothers me a lot, stratos behaves beautifully on every other stage and condition, but as soon as I get to sweeden either I fail the car, or the car fails me, all I know is that I am getting shit times with three times the effort of other cars in similar class(or even class below it)

Look, I'm not sure what DiRT Rally does about tires, but it could just be that it simply lacks arbitrary computer game traction. I don't know. But know that being unable to do well in the STratos is not a personal failing -- you just like other cars, and can do better in those. If lancias top the leaderboards, nevermind it -- work on doing the best you can in your car, or better yet, work on having the most fun you can in whatever car you like best.

It seems namby-pamby, but the Stratos really is an over-powered piece of italian garbage so it's not wrong to abandon it if you prefer Minis and Focuses or whatever.

>implying best physics means most realistic

we're going deeper

brace for impact

>this damage control

How does one even stand FM7

Well they're definitely not the most fun physics.

Does everyone from prc shitposts here?

Yes

>quick, label the person with an opinion i don't like so i don't have to address them!

so what is then? i've never ended up midpack in a race against AI on a track i don't like and still felt like it was a positive experience except in this game

>h-manga prizes to /ovg/ races
my body is ready

>playing AC driving a car that has 15 years of turbo lag and dogshit handling
Name something more fun.

If you're not feeling whats wrong with the car, have perfect grip and no issues handling it through a corner, you're going
TOO
DARN
SLOW

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.

Ramming in FM7

I started to work on it but have to attend muh family gathering

realism is the opposite of fun so it checks out

why even respond?

what car, what game

also, i assume you're good enough to pull steady lap times with whatever setup you made?

>All that tire smoke in a Evo
did you fwd swap it? lmao

Ginetta Supercup in AC at VIR

I can run consistent mid 1:55's but looking at the leaderboards the top times are in the 1:52's

>mustang driver

yeah... that's about right.

have you tried practicing

>is tyre pressure and temperature optimal?
>is there configurable gearbox set as close to maximum speed you can achieve on the track?
>is there any handling problem you'd like to solve, like rear end escaping on power while exiting corner or understeer or whatever?
>do you have enough grip on the occasional bumps? is suspension too hard?

in my experience arbs are easiest piece of suspension to set with highest time gains, but that depends on track, car, and how well current setup fits to your track

When you have access to so much of the rest of the car, there is no reason to not just inflate the tires and move on to things like the suspension and diff. Inordinate focus on tire pressure is just a reason to shill harder for MUH TYRE MODEL when it's one of the less important aspects of racing but just the one that that studio happened to focus on.

>the Stratos is an overpowered piece of too-lovable garbage
Overpowered in what way, as in too much horsepower, or that it's too good overall?

>but it could just be that it simply lacks arbitrary computer game traction
What do you mean?

>It seems namby-pamby, but the Stratos really is an over-powered piece of italian garbage so it's not wrong to abandon it if you prefer Minis and Focuses or whatever.
>you just like other cars

That's just it, I really enjoy how the car behaves and set good times with it with the default setup in all other stages and conditions. But the minute I hit Sweden with snow/snowing(god forbid mist) muh god machine becomes incredibly difficult to manage, talking about 3 times the effort for half the result of other cars.
So was wondering if the setup of the car could fix it.
I mean I enjoy the stratos, don't really want to give up on it just to set decent times in Sweden.

>as in too much horsepower
this, it's simply too powerful both in torque and actual power for its size and age

>What do you mean?
some games make cariacatures of cars -- for example, PGR3 makes the NSX an understeering piece of shit that can barely do highway lane changes, because >muh MR understeer. DiRT Rally isn't a simulator; there's no reason to assume it doesn't do similar things for the sake of balance and fun.

>That's just it, I really enjoy how the car behaves and set good times with it with the default setup in all other stages and conditions. But the minute I hit Sweden with snow/snowing(god forbid mist) muh god machine becomes incredibly difficult to manage, talking about 3 times the effort for half the result of other cars.
>So was wondering if the setup of the car could fix it.
without seeing video of your setup and driving style, my knee-jerk reaction is that your diff is probably fucked up and you're delivering too much or not enough power to not slide. that, or you have not enough down force and thus not enough traction in general. it's also very possible that you just aren't respecting snow; snow is more slippy than gravel, you know.

Lancia Stratos is a complete meme car and doesn't even look good

meme car yes it's objective garbage but its one of the most beautiful cars ever made and i will fight anyone who disagrees

>and doesn't even look good
the shark consumes your fishing pole

that's not a Stratos.

>without seeing video of your setup and driving style
I don't have one of snow on hand, but finland if that is relevant.
I could make a video of stratos on snow for you to look over if you like.
>it's also very possible that you just aren't respecting snow
Possible, but then why do I do well with other cars in the snow?

pic related, if you think this is bad you have some shit taste

>Possible, but then why do I do well with other cars in the snow?
Because you're adapting FF or FR styles to an MR car and it's not working anymore now that you're on a surface that isn't as forgiving.

fair point, but a shorter race means a crash is more costly, effectively ruining your chances. so careful and consistent is the way go desu

i'm down, karts tho, im too poor for a racecar and my daily is slow

>the most beautiful cars ever made
it looks like a design that could've been selected from a children's drawings contest

see

>many seconds off pace
its you not the car if youre that far behind

best looking Stratos is the Stratopolonez

>Because you're adapting FF or FR styles to an MR car and it's not working anymore now that you're on a surface that isn't as forgiving.
I mean that makes kinda sense but
>FF fine
>FR fine
>RR fine
>MR break yourself upon my body
What would exactly be the reason for that?
Anyway I'll try to record stuff later.

wars have been started for less nigga

adjust your diff and git gud by learning grade school physics son there is nothing else anyone can tell you other than maybe to buy winter tires but i think the game handles that for you anyway

>without seeing video of your setup and driving style
I don't have one of snow on hand, but finland if that is relevant.
I could make a video of stratos on snow for you to look over if you like.
>it's also very possible that you just aren't respecting snow
Possible, but then why do I do well with other cars in the snow?

pic related, if you think this is bad you have some shit taste

im going to burn your fucking house down that is NOT a stratos

is you okay user?

that's not me, it's the bait poster

I can't be the only person who finds the stratos styling absolutely hideous, can I?

You are right, its better because its a ferrari 458 that looks like a stratos.

why would anyone ruin the second best looking ferrari of all time?

children need to be whipped and spanked

>crash is more costly
but a pass is more valuable
so risk it and you get a bigger biscuit. if you crash you can try again in a few mins to get a podium

>get dirt rally
>hell yeah this is fun
>start with the FWD lancia
>fun as fuck, having a good time
>buy the M3
>lets try this one out
>first stage I get is monaco
>not even eurobeat helps
I wasnt planning on having fun anyways

two sides of the same coin I guess.

the m3 is a handful but once you get a feel for it, it's a huge amount of fun to throw around.

try driving at 80%, get a feel for how to get it around, then work back up to all out attack speed

That was before ISI announced they're shutting down the master server.

you can still direct connect. and if youre too retarded to figure it out youre not wanted anyway. thank you based isi for saving us from retards