Why is it that luxury cars consistently have low MPG? Environment mumbo jumbo aside...

Why is it that luxury cars consistently have low MPG? Environment mumbo jumbo aside, do you really want to be a slave to the gas pump? Where are all the (non hybrid/electric) luxury cars that get 30 - 40 combined MPG?

Other urls found in this thread:

roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a7151/americas-most-fuel-efficient-new-car-is-not-a-toyota-prius/
blog.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz-launches-its-most-efficient-s-class-the-s300-bluetec-diesel-hybrid/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The whole point of being rich is to not be a slave to economic factors outside of your control. If you can afford a high end luxury vehicle you are beyond being financially burdened by it's consumption.

>why does a engine larger than a tiny 4 popper that makes 300hp+ have worse mpg than a tiny 4 banger that makes maybe 140hp

IF YOU WANT MORE POWER YOU NEED TO BURN MORE FUEL. Its first grade spongebob..

holy fuck i havent watched that video in so long

More power does not equal more luxury desu

It was literally the first internet video I saw. My dad showed it to me at age 7

I'm not sure how to respond. I've seen some dumb shit on Veeky Forums, but this is something else

Because, huge engines aside, luxury cars heavy. You want a massaging, heated seat that automatically adjusts to the driver's body parameters? That's gonna weigh a lot. And all those amenities and gadgets need power to run, which is going to lower mpg even further.

It's funny because one of the more coveted luxury cars of the 1920s was an electric hybrid.

When the fuck did i mention luxury.. luxury cars are known for having shit mpgs, weighing in as much as a small yacht, and having power to make up for it. Oh they are comfy also. Need any other obvious pointers?

Weight and extra load on the engine from accessory power.

>slave to the gas pump
Repeat after me: If you cannot afford the MPG and maintenance, you cannot afford the car.
And luxury cars have big fuel tanks.

oh shit old school jibjab vid

A luxury car traditionally has a big, strong engine that doesn't have to exert itself, so it will run quiet and smooth. Old people are the ones who buy luxury cars new and they still want a big engine because they aren't millenial faggots. God bless them. my roommate has an early 2000's Lincoln Towncar, that's a nigger car

merry christmas

French brands have you back OP. Citroen (including the DS sub brand) and top trip Peugeots have very economical engines (both diesel and gas) on cars with superb interiors and excellent ride quality.

Weight. Thicker metal, thicker glass, sound deadening, luxury features. It's pretty hard to make a luxury car economical.

The hybrid luxury cars exist. Model S is pretty nice, same with model X. I believe Lexus sells a Prius with nicer interior, CT200H I believe? Not sure its combined mpg rating though.

Do you want to be an attention whore or do you want to save at the pump? Pick one. Why would you spend 6 figures on a luxury car then stick a diesel in it?

Buy 7 series for 3k and have someone tow you in it with a 1.6l shitbox

fuck off thats ugly as fuck interior poogets are the biggest shitboxes

Diesel Mercedes, BMWs and Audis achieve that. Some Lexus hybrids do too. An E250 diesel actually bested the Prius in real world MPG testing.

roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a7151/americas-most-fuel-efficient-new-car-is-not-a-toyota-prius/

Forgot to mention the Lincoln MKZ hybrid.

>Tfw I'm a burger

So it's a series hybrid like a diesel electric train? That's a really neat drivetrain I'm not sure why it hasn't been more common. Although it's probably worse than a normal automatic slushbox

Mercedes makes diesel electric series hybrids, but they work a bit differently and they only sell them in Europe and Latin America.

blog.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz-launches-its-most-efficient-s-class-the-s300-bluetec-diesel-hybrid/

tell that to veyron owners. which (per mile) costs to run as much as small bus fleet.
yet it can't pay for itself

>Where are all the (non hybrid/electric) luxury cars that get 30 - 40 combined MPG?
They burn oil

The new 2018 line of Honda Accord get 30+ combined. Don't give me that crap

YOU CANT SAY NOOOOCLEURRRR.... THAT REALLY SCARES MEEEEE

>Accord
>Luxury car
I bet you think Olive Garden is a posh restaurant, too.

>Although it's probably worse than a normal automatic slushbox
By today's driving culture, yeah. But in the 1920s the Owen's big selling point was it's smooth, uninterrupted acceleration which was different from it's gas powered counterparts.

10/10 you could not afford the history trim Accord

This man is right. Luxury means having the best iPad plopped on the dashboard.

Have you sat in a new top trim Accord?

You get a diesel if you want that
>diesel S class
>weighs over 5000lbs
>AWD standard
>filled with all sorts of electrically powered luxuries and a gorillion computers
>cruises at 80mph sipping diesel getting 40mpg

it's probably only uncommon in cars because it's easier to have an auto tranny or go full electric

it is INCREDIBLY common on ships though because MUH INFINITE TORQUES but also fuel efficiency and easy throttle manipulation that doesnt require quite so many moving parts that are just plain hard to get at to replace. there's also different ways to do it, for example just in the CF there's MCDVs that modulate the throttle on the electric motors by throttling up or down the alternators, but also there's stuff like Victoria class subs that just run the alternators full tilt all the time to charge batteries, and have a separate control setup for the motor.

Have you ever at in a top trim 7 series? I have.
Enjoy your unlimited soup, salad and bread sticks.

I don't know why everyone is freaking out at this. Luxury cars aren't known for their speed, they're known for being comfy. They have larger engines fitted because they're so much heavier after adding all the extra insulation and sound dampening material, the real hardwood dash trims, all kinds of electrics for entertainment systems, just being generally larger cars so they can be more roomy inside, etc.

>Enjoy your unlimited soup, salad and bread sticks.
wtf i love olive garden now

I know contemporary luxury cars are engineering wonders, but damn if Gilded Age luxury cars weren't the most gorgeous machines ever made.

>user turned out all right at the end; it is what preyed on user, what foul dust floated in the wake of his dreams that temporarily closed out my interest in the abortive sorrows and short-winded elations of men.

No but I sit in a top tier S class every day, sire as hell more luxurious than a 7 Series
Still consider the Accord more luxurious than something like a 3 series with a dogshit interior that falls apart

Does your Dad know you sit in his S class every day?
The Accord is a very nice family car but it is not a luxury car.

No, I steal his keys when he's not looking

By that logic all lower end luxury cars aren't luxury cars. In your mind it's either all or nothing

Cars weren't invented yet in the Gilded Age. That was from the Civil War to the 1890s.

Damn you're stupid.
Lexus is Honda's luxury line. Go to any dealership and ask to see their luxury line and they'll show you a Lexus, not an Accord.

>Honda
>Lexus.
Holy fucking shit that is the biggest brain fart I've ever had.
I apologise, I'm out.
The Accord is a nice car but it's not a luxury sedan like a Lexus, Merc or Caddie.
Peace y'all.

You're naming brands, not the actual cars. Higher end Accords are more luxurious than low end luxury cars
Shit new Accords are nicer than the TLX, cause it's still based off the old Accord