First car I'm buying on my own and my first car with a manual transmission

first car I'm buying on my own and my first car with a manual transmission.

should I get a:

new WRX

new GTI

new Focus ST

or a certified used BMW 3 series

pls respond

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Subaru_engines#Subaru_FA_engine
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If leaving it stock I think st is best handling and cheapest out of the list.
But gti has best hp gain in modding, I would pick gti over wrx.
Here is another thing to consider, wrx has highest resale value out of all 3.
But you can buy gti with crazy discount.
Go with whatever floats ur boat.

GTI and FoST are wrong wheel drive, I'd get the WRX.

FWD works great as a daily in addition to something else but if I could only have one car it would be RWD or AWD.

havent the new imprezas been confirmed to be totally identical to the brz engine-wise in normal, wrx and sti trim?
form what ive read the wrx and sti have the exact same engine as the brz with zero supporting upgrades for the heat or power of the turbo and they feel stressed
wouldnt be surprised if they start popping and end up mem tier like the focusRS
that side, why do you car about the opinion of anyone who posts here?

>my first car with a manual
>new

yes it looks like it's the same engine:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Subaru_engines#Subaru_FA_engine

is this a bad idea? why? should I drive a beater with a manual for a few months first?

Git guud fast

The fact that you took that absolutely dreadful bait about the FA20 tells me you're not ready for a car at all, let alone a decent one.

>is this a bad idea?
Not him but as long as you understand the principal's behind how a manual transmission works, it shouldn't be an issue. There are reasons to advise against buying new but they are mostly financial and another topic altogether.

For what it's worth, I bought a brand new WRX back in 2003 having never touched a real stick shift before. I sold it last year with 200,000 miles on it with the stock transmission and clutch still working like the day I drove it off the lot. My only prior experience with manuals was in racing sims but that was enough to help me understand the functions of the components and the purpose of rev matching (which I'm convinced is what made the clutch last so long).

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy.

>principal's
Why is autocomplete so stupid? This should just be "principals" as in the concepts.

>absolutely dreadful bait about the FA20
are you implying that any of the FA's differ in basic engine design?
youd be wrong
subaru a shit
>lets jus lower the comp and boost it lol
literally amd tier
>moar cores

I did this got wrx cause awd+resale+launches instead of spinning the front tires

I did this got wrx either

Coming from someone who owns a 2017 wrx, its not the best choice for a first manual transmission car. It has something called rev hang, where depressing the clutch to change gears, the rpms don't drop like they would normally. It makes smooth shifting a pain in the arse.

Also has a non linear throttle pedal, after 30 percent pedal depression the drive by wire opens the throttle body up 100%. This basically means there is a tiny percentage of the pedal push where everything has to happen. It makes driving with finesse, rev matching etc a cunt.

I had to spend money on a Cobb Accessport to flash a new tune to make the car bearable to drive otherwise I was going to sell it. I personally would probably go for a Mustang GT or a Fiesta ST If I were to do it all over again. It's not a bad car but you shouldn't have to risk your warranty to get something that's drivable.

>sold it last year with 200,000 miles on it with the stock transmission and clutch still working like the day I drove it off the lot
that is definitely not a typical experience
imprezas are usually beat on til they break or babied by boring normies and listed at $10k over value
id argue that the fact you learned standard innit just means you arent retarded and doesnt really speak to the longevity of the parts
but im just some faggot
>tfw 3 of my friends are subaru guys and their ineptitude and bad luck has effectively kept me from buying subaru

>GTI and FoST are wrong wheel drive

Doesn't matter when the WRX is a understeering pig while the Focus and GTI have world class handling.

>""""evidence"""" for his claims is a Wikipedia article containing minimal information about the FA engine

Doesn't the WRX have a fucking CVT? What the fuck

You can get either a cvt or a six speed manual in the wrx.

I really like the Focus, but out of that list, probably this order.

3 series > Focus ST > WRX > GTI

Imo.

huh, didn't know that, all the numales around here who bought it and are selling it used only have the CVT's on autotrader damn

So wrong..... lol wow its personal preference but in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM is an ST better than a GTI LOL

I drive Audis and you're a post-VW numale cuck. the FoST is infinitely better than 95% of VWs late-model offerings through ALL of their brands.

yea the gti is aging poorly, at least compared to ...everything in its class and the r32 hasnt enough of anything to make up for its image
unless you use normie tier logic where new/expensive=an improvement
the rabbit needs a serious refresh on all levels

Well my post was more to the point that as long as OP has sufficient knowledge on what he is doing, there is nothing inherently wrong with learning manual on a new car.

The fact that it was a WRX that I learned on was just a noteworthy coincidence because, as you say, they have a reputation for not being able to handle abuse. As long as you are smart about it, learning to drive stick shouldn't cause significant wear and tear on a car, new or old.

How long did you have the car on the stock tune?

I don't find the car hard to drive at all but those things you mentioned were very noticeable in the first couple of weeks.

same lol

>I personally would probably go for a Mustang GT or a Fiesta ST If I were to do it all over again. It's not a bad car but you shouldn't have to risk your warranty to get something that's drivable.
LITERALLY THIS, t.b.h. I should've bought a used mustang GT because after a while you realize that its pretty slow for a ~28-30k car

Buy a focus st3 or the rs be a man op. Slap a air intake & a big turbo and you're mint.

>rs

Yeah no. You could not pay me to buy one, not with the head gasket failures.

Ford doesn't give a fuck because statistically, they dont have to.

Porsche manned up and extended the warranty when one of their cars fucked up..... thats why I wont buy a performance car from ford.

Hard to compare an AWD car to a mustang which is generally a straight line missile.

True that the new ones have so much HP they might just catch up to you even on the twisties. That or slide into a tree.

>Also has a non linear throttle pedal, after 30 percent pedal depression the drive by wire opens the throttle body up 100%

That why they make throttle controllers now.

I think the point is, you should not have to mod a car to make it drivable.

not true desu

anything turbo is gonna be fucked by the emissions jew so hard from the factory its not even going to be enjoyable until you put a turboback and a tune on it

cool thanks guys i literally learned nothing from this thread

i think no matter what i get people will shit on it

probably just going to get a GTI since it got the most awards this year

for real. buddy of mine understeered his '16 WRX into a wall the other week on a chill cruise

That's honestly a pretty good decision, especially if you're gonna be tuning it. Those new VW 2L engines are insane.