Is it possible for timing to be off half a tooth? It seems like the intake cam is just off by a hair...

Is it possible for timing to be off half a tooth? It seems like the intake cam is just off by a hair, and if I move it down a tooth it will be slightly below the line. The other cam and crank alignment is spot on

It’s hard to see but it seems like the intake cam is just slightly above the mark on the engine. I don’t want to put it back together and have to undo it all again.

I’ve never done a timing belt before am I just overthinking it?

Nobody actually knows anything about cars here. This is a place for 17 year olds who ride passenger in their moms BMW crossovers.

rotate the engine 2 times and re-check your timing marks.with DOHC its possible to be off by a weird division of a tooth.

pic unreleated

Which engine is this? The timing marks are totally different to my 3SGE.

Which engine ? Is the belt tight ?

2002 miata

You're a faggot
To op, do you have the tensioner tensioned yet? As you tension it it usually pulls one pulley as the belt tightens up but not the others a lil bit.

I wouldn't take this approach till you do a mock tighten of the belt and see where things are at.
I'm guessing as you tension the belt it'll get more right for one and less right for the other.

Did you not take a picture before you pulled the old belt off???

Take out the #1 cylinder spark plug. Stick a 12” long tool into the hole and turn the crank until whatever you stuck in the hole reaches its highest point. The car will have to be in neutral. Now make sure the E and I marks in the cam gear are lined up like this and the there are 19 teeth on the belt in between the gears.

A pencil works great for this.

Or a screwdriver

Righhhhht.....and if you brake the pencil?

bruh, that's way off

You done something really wrong.
How do you break a pencil by moving it up and down a hole?

Just put the belt on and rotate it. If it werks it werks.

COUNT
THE
TEETH

Dont shoot the messenger with your parents internet connection you neet cuck.

Just looking at timing belts gives me a sick feeling

T. Double row chain master race

Motherfucker, I'm twice your age, guaranteed.

>Someone gets told for being a know-nothing internet faggot
>Suggests correct solution to OP
>HUR DUR YOU'RE STILL A KEK

Proection much.

>60 yr old still on anime imageboards

You are off a full tooth. Belt stretched or it wasnt set correcrtly.

You put it eraser side down, friend.

If you can break a pencil slowly moving up and down with no other forces you should call yourself Matilda and become a camwhore

>30 years old, talking shit on the chins

Hehe

First, did you count the teeth on the new belt and make sure it matches the old one?

If it's good, then pop the spark plugs out, put tension on the belt, and rotate the crank twice until your marks come back into alignment. If the intake cam is still off when your other marks are on point, then you're going to need to re-do it. If it's only off by less than half a tooth, it should be alright.

Presumably the notches on the cam pulleys are meant to line up with the angled indentations on the timing cover - to me it looks like the left cam needs to be rotated clockwise 1 tooth to get it aligned properly.

Step up your game, pleb.

>idler gear

Always sat wrong with me, two gear and a reverse rotation grind cam is the way to go.

Can you adjust for gear wear with a two gear setup?

A proper setup will be a matched material set and case hardened. If the contact pattern is right from the manufacturer, gear wear isn't a concern. Same sort of consideration to make when choosing cam and distributor gears.

Bro just send it

dank i'd love a geared cam