Torque or horsepower?

im doing an engine swap and im between two engine. one makes about 350 hp but only 260ish ft.pounds of torque and the other is diesel and makes about 250 horse power but makes 410 ft.pounds of torque. without the bias of knowing what engines they are, what would you rather have?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IOD7QGG06-0?t=84
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Want to spin tires, pull off the line like a mad man, and power out of corners? Then you want torque.
Torque is love. Torque is life.

Diesel is cool in its own right.

No you're fucking not. You want a valvetrain shitposting thread even though it's fucking christmas. FUCK you.

What do you want to do?
>pull heavy shit? climb up hills?
>put down power instantly?
>or can you afford to let your power wind on gradually?

no, i really am. my vehicle is about to die and i want some honest opinions on what kind of swap i should do. also, what does it matter what day it is? if you had something more important to do, you wouldn't be on Veeky Forums.
>nice trips.

im thinking about overlanding, but street speed in something that doesn't look fast would be cool too. i'm also just curious about what people have to say on the subject.

Does lots of torque let you engine brake faster?

Well if you're circuit racing torque is less important because you don't exactly want to punch full throttle mid corner or you'll spin out - most of the time you're going to be rolling onto the throttle gently anyway so you don't "need" torque as much.

In just about any other application more torque is probably better.

It depends on the weight of the car that you're putting it into. A fuck ton of torque is really awesome if and only if you can actually use it. Past a point, you're just going to spin your tires because there's no way you're going to get any traction.

350/260 sounds good for street driving, highway pulls, and twisties as long as the car weighs less than 3000 pounds. If the car is pigfat, you will want more torque. But at that point, 250 horsepower is going to be rather gutless.

This 100% depends on the specific car that you're swapping into, and exactly what you're going to be doing with it. Diesel is also a different set of rules.

What chassis are you using?

Depends on your final drive ratio. Sometimes, yes.

it's about 3,200 pounds and 4wd or at least it will be. and the chassis is a unibody.

Ok but what actual car is it, I mean. It matters.

Why not both?

In general, you want lots of both.

Wrong. You want as much torque as your tires can handle. You balance this with peak horsepower because it's ultimately a contest of speed.

I'd be more concerned as to why the brakes aren't working than relying on the engine to slow down.

well, i wanted non-bias. but fuck it. it's a 94 XJ.

well, bigger trucks will burn brakes out going down a mountain or something. engine braking also sounds cool, so. there's that.

Oh I love those things. It isn't bias. It's important because nobody is taking an XJ to the track. Dragstrip, maybe, but you're not gonna be cornering hard in a Jeep. Or at least you shouldn't be.

Go with diesel. You want low end torque. 250 hp means you're not going to be setting any quarter mile records, but you'll still be agile enough on the street to pass school buses and shit. Just don't challenge any Corvettes.

i have a '76 L82 with a 427 for wrecking C7's. jeep won't be a sleeper.

>76 L82 with a 427
pics fag

this is a brand new laptop that i got today. don't have. maybe can find one on phone, but it doesn't look much different than any other sbc. also, it came with a 350, i swapped it. gimme a few minutes and i'll find a picture. i'll describe it now though. light purple blue with white pinstriping and racing stripes. cowled hood, rally rims. uhm. she's got a nice little tramp stamp on the rear end. can't think of anything else, but give me a few minutes.

i found one from a picture i sent to my buddy a few summers ago.

i nat

what?

Past tense for nut

i see. yes. i love my car. physically and emotionally. the headers are well lubricated.

>makes 170 HP today

WEW LADS

more horsepower always equals faster acceleration unless you have a shit transmission with like two gears and you can't take advantage of the power band

>muh torks
torque is just a twisting force. you can think of horsepower as the amount of torque over time.

Imagine a father and his son have a hammer and a nail each. They race to see who drives in their nail all the way into the wood first. The son hits his nail half as hard but three times as fast as his dad. the son will drive the nail in faster than his MUH TORKS dad

dad:
(20force x 30HitsPerMinute)/5252 = 0.114
son:
(10force x 90HitsPerMinute)/5252 = 0.171
0.171 > 0.114

it's not an old 427, i bought it new crate from summit.i spent like 6 grand on the motor and it makes about 540 horse power. 4 speed muncie trans. it shits and gets.

what ever has the better transmission
also turbo hp as a bit of lag is fine
gives the suspension and tires time to work

not the sort of car to hold much speed in a corner
unless your crazy you'll loose speed here and there

but if you go for more torque you need to get better tires
youtu.be/IOD7QGG06-0?t=84