How do I stop being a dumb consumerist sheep that lusts over 40k+ new cars I could reasonably finance...

How do I stop being a dumb consumerist sheep that lusts over 40k+ new cars I could reasonably finance, and just learn to be happy with a 10k used shitbox instead?

How do you manage to be on Veeky Forums and not be a contrarian hipster?

Refusing to buy a crossover or an automatic is contrarian enough to be hipster right now.

Find a good condition comfy old car and youll realise all you get out of new models is bluetooth and parking sensors and stupid technology that just interferes with driving.
I mean yeah a 2015 WRX sti is cool and flashy but a 99 or 01 WRX sti goes about as fast and is arguably better.

People get caught up in power figures and stupid widgets. Baa

I’m going to be dead eventually and I’m not going to dedicate a year of my life and work on financing for a car. Anyone who does is a moron. Just focus on getting rich and famous first and then you can drive whatever car you want.

Not OP but I actually think in a similar way, just opposite of you. Im going to be dead eventually and a $500 a month car payment that brings me happiness isnt even worth debating about. Just do it. If you will miss $500 a month in the end, I feel sad for you.

>just focus on getting rich and famous first
Please stop the line of thinking if you ever actually want to be happy.

but that's $500 i could be dropping into my Miat every month user

In that case, after you have dropped 40k in money into a Miata... you are left with a Miata pretty much no one else would want. At least with new sports cars you can get some of their value back out of them when you eventually want another car.

At the end of the day though, do what makes you happiest. Good decisions and happiness arent necessarily tied together

I realize that I'm a massive poorfag and also that you can still have quite a bit of car for 10k. That's well-optioned non-S 1st gen Boxster money.

go on vacation and rent some shitboxes

ez

The problem with expensive cars you bought for cheap is they still carry expensive car repair and maintenance costs. For example you can find 2006-2010 MB SL65AMGs for under 30k. Who would ever buy a new Ford Focus when they could be driving an SL65AMG?

You will understand the gravity of your error when a coil pack (of which there are 12) is $2600 each for the MB and coil on the Ford you ask? Its $24

Just get mildly used cars if you want to stick it to the finance jews.

I lust over 10k cars but I like so many of them I don't know how I can pick the right one.

make lots of lots of money so you can buy fun cars.

Do the jews win if it's a 0% APR finance? That's what I got on my ST

Its the same thing when guys going through mid life crisis's are deciding between a new base model Corvette or an older used Ferrari. Until you realize the Ferrari is going to be drinking $1000+ dollars a year in just fluids, and normal stuff like a clutch is $4000+ dollars the choice can be difficult

True, a Boxster isn't gonna be Civic-tier in terms of running costs, but won't be that extreme either. Only 6 cylinders and 2.7 liters, pretty good in terms of reliability (besides IMS bearing horror), most jobs definitely DIYable and a large, helpful community go a long way.
Generally though yeah, initial purchase price is only part of the big picture and a 50k car will still require 50k car maintenance even when it's become a 10k car.

>I'm not flat
>is 2d

What did she mean by this?

Except "maintenance" means oil filter, air filter, fluids, suspension.

>miss payment once
>get fucked in the asshole
gee whiz that 0% APR financing sure seems like a great idea

>full sticker price
>purchase extended warranty
>purchase undercoating
>muh 0% APR
You got fucking railed.

>Buy used sports car from 1990-2010 with some major mechanical problem for cheap.
>Fix it using remainder of 10 grand
>It has now become your pride and joy and is truly your car
>Spend extra 10-20k and have racecar that can outperform any modern car
>Profit not in money, but in happiness and satisfaction with life

Because if people that make good money don't buy new cars peasants like you wouldn't have shit boxes to buy, faggot.

Both options presented are retarded.

Then what should he do user?

Why would I miss a payment?
Why would I pay full sticker, get an undercoating, or an extended warranty?

And none of those are ridiculously expensive. For example, the engine takes a lot of oil (expensive), but it has pretty long oil change intervals to make up for it.

Why live like a peasant when you don't have to? All that "consumerist" bullshit is poor people justifying themselves. Unless you're Warren fucking Buffet driving a shit box is unreasonable if you have the money.

I'm not bashing anyone but trust, you think that you'd "keep this car and just drop money into it,"with your shit box but when you actually have money you just buy new shit that is faster, more luxurious, and has warranties to fix shit you don't want to. I used to think of just fix up my Chevelle and be happy. Then I grew up, got a career, some kids, and want nice shit.

Buy a fun

0% apr doesn't actually exist, the interest is just built into the base price

This. With $10k you can go a long fucking way with an older 3 series Bimmer, even $10k is overkill

This. I've been fine with driving and crashing shitboxes like an asshole when I barely had any scratch. But get out of your early 20s, realize you cannot be driving drunk, establish a career and then you'll realize it's worth paying for something you genuinely enjoy if you'll take care of it

Just find what you like & buy it. It's really that simple. Pay cash.

I could pay 30k in cash, I don't know if I could safely go above that. How much can you barter down by doing so?

Dealing with car salesman is futile, no matter what, you are going to get fucked. There's no way you're getting over on a guy that does this for a living day in, day out, 365 days a year. I just paid 31,390 cash. I bought in Wyoming then drive it home. Dealer doesn't tack on dealer fees or tax where I bought it. However, I'm having to pay tax today a month after I bought the vehicle in my home state. Gubment gonna get they money.

$10,000 is literally 50x what my car cost. Do you think your "shitbox" is 50x better?

try realizing that you have ~20 years until you'll be considered pathetic midlife crisis guy, and you're already beyond peak of your physical abilities. get what you can and enjoy it as much as you can, maybe even buy separate shitbox for tracks and find other weirdos to race with you.

also, get a sports car if you haven't yet. it's important to get a sporty car, not generic one. 1.6 miata will be more exciting/fun car than similarly priced 2.0 turbo pig fat sedan, i bet you'll have lots of fun revving up your shitbox as long as suspension is relatively stiff and ready for track

Driving a sports car doesn't make you a pathetic midlife crisis guy. It's specifically the guys who drive convertible pony cars painted in bright colors. No one disrespects the 50 y/o in a 911 Turbo.

i hope so, because i surely won't get 911 before my fifties

*snicker* of course we don't.

my issue was money

i don't have $20k cash for a used truck, and even if i did, not smart so spend ~40% of my yearly income in liquid cash. you need that shit for emergencies or investments, not a machine that is actively destroying itself with use

so then are you going to finance a used vehicle? they (banks, dealers, automakers) need you to buy new cars. you'll actually get better offers, incentives, interest rates going new. i say finance something in a reasonable price range given salary and use, put a down payment such that you're not upside down, and keep that bitch maintained.

the 'debt trap' is driving a lexus on toyota money and skipping oil changes because you're barely making payments.

>tfw want a GTI but the Mk7 hasn't depreciated enough to be a good value yet
From what I heard the Mk6 is a huge downgrade in comparison. Maybe I'll go for a ST instead, those look old enough to be in a depreciation sweet spot.

My dad has owned and traded sports cars every year since he finished med school.
m3 m5 Sq5 1M Golf R. He bought a Z06 recently and my wife goes: MIDLIFE CRISIS

Normies are literally that stupid.

>How do I stop being a dumb consumerist sheep that lusts over 40k+ new cars I could reasonably finance, and just learn to be happy with a 10k used shitbox instead?
Get 2 shitboxes, do a few simple mods, and hoon the living fucking shit fuck out of them.
You get all the fun of hooning, all while not giving a shit about denting or totaling your shitboxes because they're cheap shitboxes.
However, over time, you'll grow affection for them, and they'll have a lot of sentimental value. One you crash them at that point, you'll suffer heavy losses, but only emotionally; financially, you just crashed your shitty shitbox.