/ORG/ - Winter Wedition

w e w it winter lads
Offroad and Overland General. Post any vehicle that goes off-road and anything that has to do with making your vehicle taller, heavier, or generally anything that gets its MPG worse.

>old thread:
>older thread:
>/out/ thread
>pirate 4x4 thread
pirate4x4.com/forum/general-chit-chat/699969-anybody-here-surf-Veeky Forums-board.html

General Veeky Forums discord:
>discord.gg/NmpUVzD
Disc/org/ server:
>discord.gg/FGMNmeg
new /ORG/ stickie coming soon
Someone post the old map I don't have the link anymore

ITT:
>post offroad pictures
>snow and ice is a must unless you live in the dirty south
>ask for new offroad vehicles and how to adapt / buy advice
>someone make a god damn FAQ for once
>N E W
>S
>P
>I
>N
>T
>Y
>R
>E
>S
>E D I T I O N
post screencaps

Thanks for a FAQ, we need one bad.

Not mine but definitely cozy.

HERES YOUR FAQ YOU DUMB NIGGER:

PURCHASE VEHICLE WITH 4-WHEEL DRIVE AND LOW RANGE
IF ITS KIND OF OLD WHICH IT PROBABLY SHOULD BE THEN REPLACE AS MANY PARTS AS YOU CAN WITH NEW ONES
IF YOU ARE A CHEAP POORFAG LIKE U THEN JUST PURCHASE SOME A/T OR M/T TIRES AND START DRIVING ON THINGS THAT ARE NOT ROAD
IF YOU HAVE ACTUAL MONEY THEN BUY SHIT LIKE SUSPENSION UPGRADES/STEEL BUMPERS/LOCKERS/GEARS/SLIDERS/STORAGE SYSTEMS/ETC IN ADDITION TO TIRES
NOW GO OFF ROAD YOU COMPLETE AND UTTER FAGGOT
WOW THAT SURE WAS HARD

Where do I find "not roads"

how hard can i offroad a new vehicle without random shit breaking?

TRY YOUR BACKYARD YOU PIECE OF SHIT

What's wrong with being poor?

YOU CANT FAGGOT

I live in a high rise in downtown portland

FUCK OFF BUTTBLASTED POORFAG

THEN I GUESS YOULL HAVE TO KILL YOURSELF
>high rise in downtown portland
WHY HAVENT YOU ALREADY

I didn't say I was poor. Just wondering why youre projecting on the internet

Post your twin sticks.

SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE POORFAG

>that pic
im fucking dying

blg pls
we're trying to have a nice thread here

I mean at my current job I get 450$ a day.
So def not great, but i wouldn't say too poor

Only twins? Step your game up

Because I don't actually live in a high rise in Portland, I love in a comfy Texas suburb.

>having a nice thread knowing full well i post here

certainly not too shabby friendo

that sounds much better

>that sounds much better
It is. 800/month mortgage for a 4 bed 2500 sq ft house with a huge backyard.

>800/month mortgage for a 4 bed 2500 sq ft house with a huge backyard

Texas mayne

Take a closer look at that snout

Holy shit i need to get to the land of the free.

that wouldnt even get you an unfinished basement suite in a crackden in vancouver.

how much that front suspension cost? $15k?

I pay bout $100 more but I have no neighbors behind me and I am on the outside of town.

>tfw comfy brick ranch house
>tfw big deck to view pond in pasture behind house from
>tfw 2 car garage with work bench

Thanks Missouri

Is there any other 4x4 4cyl gas motor that is as reliable as the 22-RE? Nissan KA24 or Z24? Mitsubishi 4G54 or 4G64? Ford 2.3L?

don’t ever post anything like that again pls thank you

>it winter lads
>still sunny and mid 50s every day

fuck this

>22re
>reliable
i really hate this meme. the fuckers eat headgaskets and timing chains like a fat kid eats candy. nearly every used one on the market has "needs headgaskets" or "just replaced headgaskets" in the description

to be fair, they mostly have between 200k and 300k+ miles on them too

>Nissan KA24 or Z24?
lol no (Ok, the KA24 wasn't bad)
>Mitsubishi 4G54 or 4G64?
areyoueventrying.jpg
>Ford 2.3L?
Now we're getting somewhere.

>GM
Iron duke 151
>AMC
150 based from the legendary straight six
>Ford
As you posted, the "pinto" engine, any flavor
>Isuzu (Chevy)
Any 4 banger, diesel or gas, although diesels had to be swapped to be a 4wd
>Datsun
Any 4 banger

And from your pic, one that is well known in the off road realm:
>Willys
L or F head 134

Also, in terms of nothing but reliability, I would probably take a 20R over a 22R engine from Toyota.

The biggest reason the majority of the engines listed above are "reliable" is because they barely make enough power to get out of their own way.

4BT

VW 1.9 TDI engine is best inline 4

Thanks! just to clarify; you like Datsuns *other than* the Z24?

I had a mitsubishi G54B (the turbo 2.6L) in a Chrysler Conquest; I thought it was reliable but mine had relatively low miles, like 140k

btw, i think this one has a Chevy 2.8L in it

The Z24 was an evolution of earlier designs, but it introduced fuel injection during the "wild west" of the 80's when Datsun/Nissan was famous for it's rust issues.

While I've never seen an engine mechanically fail, I've ran into (only) two that had massive electrical issues and never ran quite right. Therefore, on my limited experience, it's not "reliable." I've worked on a handful of Z18 and Z20's that were carbed and dirt simple. They had the single-spark-plug dual-points setup that was awesome.

>Distributor in front
Nah, that's not a chevy 2.8. It's likely the stock Buick 225 V6 "Oddfire." Goofy as hell firing order, and had the only non-evenly-spaced distributor cap I've ever seen. It's possible (very common) that someone swapped in a Buick 231 V6 too.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I cant rescue this

>he does not fix his offroader with beer cans

Grab a shovel and put forth an attempt.

What can I get for about $10k that I can comfortably travel in during winter and summer?

how capable and where do you live?

Meh, what a hassle.
Do I really have to, /org/?

Back in Vegas, feels good.
Time to take my truck up into the snowy mountains.

by having that new vehicle be a toyota and not a fiat

you can but why would you

Because one of my bosses was the driver

Ended up just using the tractor

post more swift rescues

lee canyon?????

Lovell canyon, sup Vegas bro

Just ignore the fact that you can slide down the mountain at any given moment and you be fine.

>It's likely the stock Buick
youre absolutely right, I was going off memoy and I definitely remember the ad said it was a Buick now that you mention it

Want to convince him to take this offroad.

It should be fine in the snow if he follows my laid down tracks, right? And if he follows far enough behind to just go down a soft trail around here?

That thing will bottom out very quickly, and the rear will dig in at once

It aint gonna work

no mountains
pls zaddy

what if i go crunching the snow in front of it so that only the valence has to scrape the snow?

the only issue is maybe getting the stupid thing unstuck since it doesn't have tow hooks

F O L L O W Y O U R D R E A M S

You're creating problems for yourself. Its fun to cooperate with two capable vehicles, but just dragging one around aint

i’m actually a former poorump faggot
i’m assuming you’ve wheeled wheeler pass from indian springs side?

There's lots of places like that in the USA. Some places just have high costs of living. What sucks is that other businesses increase their prices even if they are made in an adjacent low cost state. When I moved for my job, one snack item I liked cost $1.79 MSRP as printed on the package. But in my new location, that same item by the same manufacturer had the MSRP printed on the package of $2.89 which was appalling. Many other things had jacked up prices too. There was one shop that sold a deluxe slice of toast for $5 each. So it's no wonder in such a place the apartment rents and house mortgages are high priced. Everyone is used to jacking the prices of everything up almost like an arms race.

Yeah I've done wheeler pass hella times it's fun, if you're former paw-rump, where did you move to?

>30 foot strap
>back bumper to bumper
>4low 2nd gear and give 'er shit

stop being a soft ass euro bitch and you might get some work done

This tbqh desu, just make sure it's a recovery strap and NOT a tow strap. Recovery straps stretch to help snatch the person out, tow straps are just for towing, static pull.

Nnnot sure it'd work. I'd probably just drag it more to the side where the ditch is deeper

Its on my purchase list. Currently only have a solid 28 foot 5-ton and a 9 feet elastic

Did your trip used to be Mrcummy?

It switches between the two

What tool do you guys recommend for single vehicle recovery?

Ski season is upon us and I was thinking of getting either a come-along or Hi-Lift/farm jack to pull myself out of ditches when I pretend to be takumi.

My shitFit is FF and 1463 kg. I'd be limited to tow hook attachments and a rear subframe mount where a Diff should be but isn't.

I have a tree strap, tow strap, and recovery strap but off-road forums haven't provided much insight.

a come along is the only real option besides an actual winch. much easier than trying to nigger rig a highlift jack

>every used one on the market has "needs headgaskets" or "just replaced headgaskets
>all are 30 years old and have 400k miles
lel i mean wtf. curb your expectations a little bit. theyre old as fuck and have shit-tons of miles on them now - of course something is going to go wrong at some point are you retarded?

Hi lift jacks are the shit, don't listen to the faggot below you, they are far superior to the come along. Cuz they can be used to pull you out as well as jack shit up. My dad used his to tow his medium duty truck out, that's a 10k lb truck, like it was nothing. I've used it to jack my vehicle up to unbolt things as well as recover vehicles, very useful.

they also weigh twice as much, are twice as big and have half the pull distance as a come along

im not saying they are bad or arent useful im saying for the specific purpose of pulling a car out of a ditch a come along wins hands down every time

They also work good for changing tires out lol

I would agree. High lift jacks can be around the same price as most come-alongs, last forever, and you can modify one to be used as a come along as well. Just don't mong up the lifting and invest in a mount for the hi lift and you'll be fine.

I did a roadside tyre change for some boomer by taking a hi lift jack and a treesaver by tying the treesaver to the wheel, jacking it up using the come-along, and putting a jack stand under the jack point and changing the tyre that way.

Plus one of the most common ways to get stuck isn't traction but you balancing on a rock and not having lockers. A well placed hilift will be your locker in that situation.
Of course, not to say that the come-along is not helpful. But the hi-lift jack + traction aids are what I would get before considering a cummie-along

How was your pullout?
I got a summer tyred C230 kompressor, an ML350 blutec, pulled out my retarded sister in her minicooper on summer tyres, and some Nissan sentra unstuck in the past 3 days.

I would agree. High lift jacks can be around the same price as most come-alongs, last forever, and you can modify one to be used as a come along as well. Just don't mong up the experience and invest in a mount for the hi lift and you'll be fine.

I did a roadside tyre change for some boomer by taking a hi lift jack and a treesaver by tying the treesaver to the wheel, jacking it up using the come-along, and putting a jack stand under the jack point and changing the tyre that way.

Plus one of the most common ways to get stuck isn't traction but you balancing on a rock and not having lockers. A come-along will be your locker in that situation.

Of course, not to say that the come-along is not helpful. But the hi-lift jack + traction aids are what I would get before considering a cummie-along

How was your pullout?
I got a summer tyred C230 kompressor, an ML350 blutec, pulled out my retarded sister in her minicooper on summer tyres, and some Nissan sentra unstuck in the past 3 days.

I would agree. High lift jacks can be around the same price as most come-alongs, last forever, and you can modify one to be used as a come along as well. Just don't mong up the lifting and invest in a mount for the hi lift and you'll be fine.

Plus one of the most common ways to get stuck isn't traction but you balancing on a rock and not having lockers. A well placed hilift will be your locker in that situation.

How was your pullout?

>A well placed hilift will be your locker in that situation.
what do you mean by this?

>mfw stuck on train tracks while snow wheeling last night
And spent an hour rocking back and fourth trying to get shitty tires to grip frozen 2x4's to move 20 feet. Gonna buy a high lift jack soon.

Last thread you asked me about getting into the pits. I don't think there's a trail from Byers Rd anymore and A month ago they bulldozed the Boundary Rd entrances again so there isn't a way to get anything in unless its a bike, sled or quad or if you don't care about sliding on your frame. The only way you can get in trouble there is if the DRPS helicopter sees a bunch of smoke or the odd chance they feel like bringing one of their Tahoes out there. Thing is Cochrane rd is the only way they can get there without getting stuck so it's piss easy to escape. Once had to run from them on foot in the dark when a biker had to be air lifted out last year and even though my car was illegally parked where Boundary and Cochrane meet they didn't do anything.

fuck off kratos how did you even save the file that fast

If you're bottomed out and balanced on a rock on your skid plate or axle, you'll have 2 or 3 wheels on the ground spinning out providing energy freespinning one or two wheels that are hanging in the air. You can either jack up your otherside to get all your tyres friction'd again or jack up your hanging side to shove rocks / tree stumps underneath it to get traction again.

I would not advise using a come-along in that situation because that's a large amount of force to take the frame off the rock you're balanced on. Plus winches scare me in general.

>borker had to be airlifted out
oh god what did he do

i'll tell you what the bulldozer came at the worst possible time. now everything is too frozen to move soil with winches and ground anchors. otherwise, i'd take the ground anchor and over 2 hours slowly whittle away the entrance.

Met a guy with an LS swapped CJ-5 on dana44s triple locked last time who wanted to go in but couldn't. Ah well.

The other time I was coming back from Ottawa and saw two guys on cellphones chatting around a fire in their clearly fleet trucks. They stopped me and asked where I was going and i'm like "just up to my buddy's farm" and they left me alone. Weird.

anyway

No clue what happened since there was never any news report on it and we were busy shooting an air pistol in the sticks. Once saw this Jeep get in there when the pits were in a similar condition. They always put a bunch of trees in the entrance first so you have to dig a bit than burn the rotted tree. I have a feeling the reason you see blown up propane tanks at the entrance all the time is to fix it as well. During the summer it usually only takes a few weeks. I miss having pit fires but there's enough snow there now that driving there pisses every snowmobiler off.

Last summer there was a guy sitting in a white Dodge Ram 1500 at Harmony and Coates Rd for a few days all day every day for a bit. But he always ignored us when we went by. LaFarge fleet trucks?

this is why granny 4speeds are king
i was in a similar situation
>caught up on some slick logs
>throw it in 4low granny gear, let the clutch out and let the tires slowroll
>hop out and hook up a strap and come along to a near by tree
>pull it over the logs
>casually walk back to truck as it lumbers along

why

the

fuck

I deleted a post to fix a grammar error and make the picture less massive and some autist decided to repost my original picture.

What some cheaper decent offroad cars? I'm thinking of picking up a cherokee again because I'm familier with them under the hood and it lasted me pretty well even if I beat it to shit. But still thinking about something different.

Budget around 2k for overlanding and minor climbing. I liked the space of the cherokee because I could fit so many people in it making the offroad excursions more fun. Wouldn't mind a truck though, but I did like all the space to hold people and camping gear.

btw it won't be my daily, I already have one. This will be my 5th weekend warrior car and compared to the others I've owned the cherokee has faired me the most even if she was on the constant verge of death.

Cherokees suck for space, get a full size, like a suburban or excursion. Both have plenty of room and V-8s for dat power

Had both heavy duty original tirfor and hi-lift jack,

In my opinion hi-lift is more usable. You also need some steel cable and one of those quick shortening thingies for cable, there's nothing you can't do with that combo and some time.

moved to numerous places but currently reside in the bay area

>Bay Area
Oh no...

fucking tell me about it
a liberal shithole
>tfw money was too much to turn down

Great thread guys.

here have a sunrise

ILL KIL U

Recent acquisition too

Toyota's 2f engines

Fj60/62's are skyrocketing in value.. why?