Why has nobody came out with an I4 version of LS yet? Most of the same tech...

Why has nobody came out with an I4 version of LS yet? Most of the same tech, know-how and aftermarket support except half of everything. That would be a perfect swap motor for smaller cars.

Other urls found in this thread:

asphaltandrubber.com/news/motus-v4-baby-block-crate-motor-price/
youtube.com/watch?v=JtpzA0hd8Kg
dragzine.com/news/new-products/new-world-products-motown-ii-small-block-chevy-block/
trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/1213tr-vortec-5-3l-big-bang/
hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1109-stock-gm-ls-engine-big-bang-theory/
youtube.com/watch?v=wTV8QTIVYB0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>pushrod i4

Pls no

>why has nobody came out with a side cam pushrod i4

You mean like just about every small-medium car pre 1980s? Why would anyone want that?

if pushrod is so bad, how come ls is so good?

Because pushrods over complicate inline engines, whereas they simplify v engines.

Because it's light and small for it's capacity and who needs reliable revs when you've got capacity.

>Why has nobody came out with an I4 version of LS yet?
Because economy of scale, and because the packaging advantages of pushrod motors only apply to V units.

>That would be a perfect swap motor for smaller cars.
The LS already fits in pretty small cars.

>So why has nobody made a V4 version of the LS yet?
But they have.

Then make it a V4.

Already done that, see asphaltandrubber.com/news/motus-v4-baby-block-crate-motor-price/

Ecotec i4 my dude

The Duratec is basically the equivalent in modern day.
Not pushrod nor Chevy but:
Small
Light
Can be easily tuned
Still available as a crate
Aftermarket tuners make crate engines as well.

Seriously, it's about the closest you'll get to an I4 crate engine.

Because the LS engine is trash

You completely misunderstand the pros and cons of the LS1 (or any other compact pushrod V8).
>due to crank design V8s don't rev quickly anyway
>LS1 does NOT make good HP/litre
>LS1 is all about fitting high displacement into a small area ("no replacement for displacement")

>Due to inherent balance issues 4 cyl have a limit on how big you can go for capacity (about 2.4 max)
>4 Cyl CAN rev quickly
>4 Cyl CAN make good HP/litre if allowed to rev properly

A 4cylinder without 16 valve is like a cross-plane V8 without the displacement - absolutely useless.

>A 4cylinder without 16 valve is like a cross-plane V8 without the displacement - absolutely useless
Don't forget OHV limiting its ability to rev high. On dingle-bank engines OHV just adds unnecessary complexity to the valvetrain.

>pushrod 4cyl
>air cooled
>9700rpm
>125hp/L N/A

the same guy even built a 180hp 1600cc using the stock crank and rods from a 60hp VW engine, and welded & ported OEM VW heads with carburetors

shit i forgot my link

youtube.com/watch?v=JtpzA0hd8Kg

>horsepower/litre is in any way relevant
Fuckin lol

Honda K series?

In everything, compact, loves boost, and is cheap.

It is when your engine configuration can't go too far over 2 liters without needing massive balance shafts.

So how is this an issue for the ls?

It isn't for the LS, but it would be for "half an LS" inline 4, like OP was suggesting.

makes more sense to make a v4 or v12 version of the LS by using half an engine.

Boxer engines are not inline engines though. Unless you mean making the LS into a flat 4. So a pushrod Subaru engine. I guess that kind of makes sense

You wouldn't save that much space by losing half the engine's girth as it's still pretty long. If anything a V4 LS would make sense.

Wouldn't that need balance shafts? In which case where'd you put them? Above the camshaft? Below?

Lmao why does that thing have such awful specs? I'd rather have a bored and stroked aprilia rsv4 motor, or even the new duc V4 one

So why not just change your metric to hp/inline4?

Whats the point, the ecotec is a fine motor, and cameros/ats go up to 400whp FBO.
It's also sold as a crate engine.

>mfw 1.1l pushrod ford fiesta was my first car

they kinda did with the ecotec 4 cylinders engines and various light truck vortec engines like the lk5 (picrelated) but even gm knows nobody wants a pushrod 4 banger

Hate to say it but this is a good one
This too
Was going to say this
I don't know what the fuck OP was trying to do exactly, but then again I don't really understand faggots
This OP, stop being such a dumb faggot

these were made by opel famalam

The ford Ka had a OHV 1l inline 4 because it was the only engine that could fit.

Since we're asking stupid questions has anyone tried mounting an engine where the crank shaft is vertical?

That's retarded, the LS isn't even a good engine.

Some lawnmowers and go karts use them.

SR20DET?

Pretty cheap, even in the US. Quite a bit of aftermarket and has been around forever.

nissan scum

V4s are balanced as a flat 4 and nearly balanced as a 90° V. No balance shafts needed. They just package shitty compared to I4s

>out and out dyno queen race engine
>same Hp/L as a stock S2000
>very near the same redline too

If you were trying to make an argument against my points, you failed.

>doesn't actually bother to read any of the discussion
>replies with shitposts anyway

Go away kid.

>full ancillaries vs bare motor

This is a fair comparison.

Add another 2 inches for the "ancillaries" and headers and it's still smaller than most engines.

With fuck off huge counterweights

I'll never understand the hp/l meme, there's no limitations on displacement so why restrict yourself?

not him but what? just think of how much easier an OHV i4 would be to work on, it's all classic boomer tech designed to be ripped apart and rebuilt in your driveway.

>Just think of how much easier an OHV i4 would be to work on

Only difference I can think of is that you won't have to remove a timing belt / chain to remove the cylinder head. And if you can't complete that task you shouldn't be doing that anyway.

that small block on the right confuses me. i can see that the block is a Gen I/II by the placement of the water pump holes but the heads have a different valve sequence than an traditional sbc.

what the fuck is it?

Motown II LS/SBC hybrid

dragzine.com/news/new-products/new-world-products-motown-ii-small-block-chevy-block/

Cool

I have never heard of a vertical crank go kart engine in my life

Oh cool

I don't have to imagine - I've done it all.
And I've come to the conclusion that an OHC engine (probably belt drive) with hydraulic lifters and a basic ecu with AFM is probably the GOAT setup.

>>due to crank design V8s don't rev quickly anyway
Due to STROKE most V8's don't rev quickly, piston speed just becomes too high. Crossplane or flatplane does not make a difference in terms of how fast the rotating assembly can spin.
>>LS1 does NOT make good HP/litre
Instead, it make good hp per cubic foot of engine, and good hp/lbs.
>>LS1 is all about fitting high displacement into a small area ("no replacement for displacement")
This, see above.

Cyl CAN rev quickly
If the stroke is short enough, see above.
Cyl CAN make good HP/litre if allowed to rev properly
Again, if the stroke is short enough.

A short stroke V8 can rev to the moon and make great hp/L. A long stroke I4 cannot.

>Don't forget OHV limiting its ability to rev high.
Honda made a stock, factory pushrod (4-valve!) engine that revved to 9500RPM. Your argument is invalid.

Cylinder configuration does not change redline, unless your have extreme balance issues. A boxer four or inline four all have the same theoretical redline, if everything else stays the same.

Because it's a car engine sliced in half, and not a motorcycle engine. Of course a Ducati or Aprilia engine will be better.

DOHC I4's don't have the packaging advantages that pushrod V8's do.

>They just package shitty compared to I4s
In cars. In bikes, they package beautifully.

>there's no limitations on displacement so why restrict yourself?
There are limitations in racing, and in certain countries.

>Due to STROKE most V8's don't rev quickly, piston speed just becomes too high. Crossplane or flatplane does not make a difference in terms of how fast the rotating assembly can spin.
Most smallblock V8's have comparatively short strokes, as an example the longest LS stroke is about the same as a 3.0l M54 BMW. The modular engine has a pretty long stroke but it's really the odd one out as the 4.6 has similar stroke to the 351 windsor and cleveland. Even the 4.5l ferrari V8 only has 2mm shorter stroke than an LS1.

Having a crossplane crank most certainly does slow the speed at which a V8 revs, the crankshafts are heavy as fuck and inertial mass is one of the first things attacked when you build a serious track engine.

>Again, if the stroke is short enough.
the F20c Honda has basically the same stroke as an LS1 and an F22c as an LS2.

>A short stroke V8 can rev to the moon and make great hp/L. A long stroke I4 cannot.
Sure but not for long and it won't be held back by the bottom end.

*blocks your path*
Call me when your "god engines" do 800 tire without even removing the head

>Pennsylvanians

My hero Matt....

>LS engines are smaller
>still slower than the fastest Modulars

it must be painful to be a delusional GM fangirl

>9500
wow it's fyucking nothing!, Honda also made an OHC inline six that revved to 20,000

>DOHC I4's don't have the packaging advantages that pushrod V8's do.
delusional, a DOHC inline 4 is smaller

>boost engine
>take it to the dyno and do some pulls
>lower the boost on the street
what a faglord

?
He ran mid 20s boost on the street with a stock piston stock rods stock crank stock everything motor and it fucking ripped, shit was great.
You don't watch enough of his videos obviously

>LS
>good

citation needed

>he expects me to fall for this

lol no, he obv lowers the boost everywhere aside from dyno runs, Hot Rod mag already tested the 5.3 and it couldn't take more than a handful of dyno runs before blowing

>Honda also made an OHC inline six that revved to 20,000
This only shows that
>Honda is fucking brilliant
>They can make a great non-production engine

>a DOHC inline 4 is smaller
Of course it is, but it isn't packaged as neatly as a pushrod V8. Per unit of displacement, an inline four of similar stroke and bore is a lot bigger and heavier.

>Hot Rod mag already tested the 5.3 and it couldn't take more than a handful of dyno runs before blowing

trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/1213tr-vortec-5-3l-big-bang/
>Several 1000hp+ dyno runs
>Lifter breaks
>Replace
>Still makes 1300hp

hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1109-stock-gm-ls-engine-big-bang-theory/
>4.8L
>Over 60 dyno runs
>Most of them over 1000hp
>1200hp @ 26.8 PSI
>Ignition failure

If you think a properly tuned and assembled 5.3/4.8, with the rings opened up, can't easily take 1000hp reliably across a dragstrip or dyno, you're delusional.

>lower the boost on the street
Yeah from 1000hp to 900
Kek

It didn't even blow it bent a rod, hot rod mag even said they could have thrown a new rod in it and tested it again lol
Also the entire point of that article was destructive testing, why is it surprising at all when the goal of destruction is met?

>inline 4 with similar bore and stroke is bigger and heavier

what a stupid fucking measurement, congrats on being a brainlet

let not forget the fact that engine size and weight are literally fucking irrelevant, and is just some budmfuck metric only spewed by LS fangirls

>the engine broke after the dyno runs
thanks for proving my point

>5.3/4.8, with the rings opened up, can't easily take 1000hp reliably across a dragstrip or dyno
kek, either post prove of someone actually doing consistent and reliable drag passes on a 5.3 with the rings "opened up" or fuck off

Ah not a rod, a lifter lol
Even better

>even better
no, it just means that delusional people like yourself that believe boosting a stock engine is a dumb idea because it will be unreliable

LS engine is good, but it's not great. i'll take a 383 stroker over an LS any day of the week. slap a blower and some heads on there and shabam. reliable power that doesn't sound like trash. go carbed or go home.

this

let's not forget the Ford 302 is actually lighter and smaller than the LS lol

?
Uhh
What
>supercharger
>carb
Are you 65 or older?
Can I interest you in a free 3 month offer of LifeLock security
How about LifeAlert in case you slip and fall in the shower?
Turbos are twice as efficient as superchargers lol

>"me believe I can boost stock engine!"
>"me believes it will be reliable!"
>"me saw it on the internet!"

I understand that not even GM fangirls want to spend money building an LS, but you have to be delusional if you believe you can actually boost a stock 5.3 and expect it to last

>b-but I'll get one when it blows
congrats, at this point you could have spend the time and money actually making it reliable

To be fair they do look rad

And I could say that a turbo looks more rad, and you can't really debate me because it's subjective.
That's the problem with subjective debates and that's why you're relying on one right now.
ON THE OTHER HAND, objective points.
And what's objective is that turbos are twice as efficient as superchargers, also while having better longevity and being easier on the engine.

>people say dumb things about LS engines
>get corrected
>decide to ignore it and continue being delusional

what is the problem with LS fans that causes this behaviour?

i'm 21, but i had a 69 rs/ss camaro that i built from a roller than ran 7.39 at it's peak. averaged around high 7's very low 8's. besides, fuck turbos.lag all day, i'd rather have a nice 8-10 pounds of boost right there off the line. also, i'd love to see your shitbox volvo run a 7.39 with your shitty LS. you'd probably overboost and throw a rod. fuck turbo's and fuck EFI. too many electronics to deal with. if a carbed engine is running bad, i know exactly what is wrong with it just by sound and smell. i could tune a carb blind folded.

fuck yeah they do. superchargers dominate drag racing for a reason.

media brainwashing. seeing people put engines in their cars that magically make huge numbers and people think they can just slap a turbo on anything and make big power. it's a joke.

Because rules don't allow turbo to dominate

sure. whatever you gotta say to yourself to sleep at night.

Yeah man fuck turbos and efi also fuck trap music right??!! It's all about Led Zeppelin and jusas priest
Upvote this comment if you were born in the wrong generation

>let not forget the fact that engine size and weight are literally fucking irrelevant
They are relevant in every single part of car design, especially chassis dynamics. If you disagree, throw a RTA96C in your shitbox, I'm sure it'll handle perfectly.

>thanks for proving my point
It's called destructive testing. You add more boost, it breaks, you fix it, repeat. 4.8/5.3's don't break at 1000hp if you rebuild them correctly, it takes a lot more boost than that.

>post prove of someone actually doing consistent and reliable drag passes on a 5.3 with the rings "opened up"
>post prove
K.
youtube.com/watch?v=wTV8QTIVYB0
>Typically we run 110 octane, 17 psi, 50 shot and 16 degrees of timing. It runs 6.50's at 107 in the 1/8th like a bracket car and have had many street runs over the last year.
>The truck has never been to a dyno, just tuned at the track.
>For this streetcar shootout race I bumped the timing to 18 deg, we were running c16, NGK #9 plugs a 75 shot of nitrous and the last pass in the video I cranked the wastegate shut for the win (or to blow the engine hahaha) Boost was in the low 20's and it spooled much quicker due to the shut gate.
>The pass in the video was a 6.4 @ 109 letting off the gas.

Enjoy your heat soak

Top fuel rules literally banned turbos lol, boomers are butthurt
They already took it from 1/4 mile to 1000ft because they were going too fast, turbo would just be even faster, which they literally don't want at this point

lol. one of my local hi-po engine builders started working with a local top-fuel team to build a turbo top fuel dragster and they banned turbos before they ever got it on the dyno.

There's literally nothing wrong with Zep and Judas Priest. Also most rap music sucks. Stuff like Grand Master Funk and early Run DMC is aight.

>autistic MAGApede furry actually listens to trap
lmao, americans are so fucking cringeworthy, how do you even deal with the dissonance?

>They are relevant in every single part of car design, especially chassis dynamics.
yet there are several cars that are faster than LS powered ones which are powered by bigger and heavier engine

it is an irrelevant measurement spewed by benchraces like yourself

> You add more boost, it breaks, you fix it, repeat.
lol

>that video
that oesn't prove in any way whatsoever than a stock 5.3 will actually manage to survive a proper drag racing season, nevertheless some sort of circuit or road racing session

this is literally irrelevant

FUCKING CALLED IT GOD DAMN IT LOL

well, i mean. zeppelin is fucking great, but i've always liked megadeth more than priest. has nothing to do with when i was born. i like the computer i'm using to type this message, i just think we over complicated engines we use for racing. you want efi for racing? go buy a 2jz or an rb26. the nips can have that shit.

Refer to

can anyone say ram air? how about hood vents?

my favorite bands are probably billy talent, green day and NOFX though. so i guess 90's punk? what kind of car does a punk rocker drive? like, stereotypically?

inb4 furfaggot autistic screeching

>351W (5.7L): 510lbs
>LS (5.7L): 460lbs

>you'd probably overboost and throw a rod.
Confirmed for knowing jack shit about how turbo systems work.

>I could tune a carb blind folded.
if you are ''that dude'' props to you, you are the kind of guy that is keeping hotrodding alive.
Too bad your kind is a dying breed, and you're getting replaced by more accurate fuel injection. You simpy can't tune a carb accurate enough to be within 0.1 lambda, it's as simple as that.

Turbos are simply banned in high end competition like Top Fuel, and for good reason. We're limiting these idiot geniuses to 60PSI, Roots heat generators, 500ci and mild explosives and these guys still make NHRA shorten the runway to 1000feet, because fuck you we're doing 300MPH whether you like it or not. Turbo's would only make it worse.

>I have no argument so here's another personal attack
I love this website so fucking much please keep replying to me

lol, that shit is the best. can't even handle a stock volvo240. im surprised he hasn't killed himself with the new and "improved" LS swap yet.