Is Toyota lame?

Is there any real reason to choose Toyota for anything other than reliability?
>Performance
Other brands do it better, both foreign and domestics (USA) at all price levels and models. Especially Ford. This is indisputable. Why Toyota (and other brands like Chevy) haven't released competitors to the Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Mazdaspeed 3, Golf GTI, etc. is astounding. There's so much demand there and I would love to buy a Toyota in that competition but they have nothing. This isn't even getting into Toyota's extremely impressive performance history which they have abandoned.
>Styling
Puke pancakes look better than modern Toyota design.
>Safety
Everyone has blindspot monitors and testicle airbags these days. It's neat that on Toyotas they are not an option, but I also find that stuff annoying so I'd prefer not to have it. Still, props to them for having it on all models.
>Simplicity
Corollas may still have the ancient 1.8l from the Bronze Age but their interiors are now jam packed with electronics just like everybody else. Across the board Toyotas are more computer than machine now.
>Trucks
Ford and Chevy do trucks better than anyone else. Take your Hilux memes and shove 'em.

I visited a Toyota dealer recently and all they could say was "reliable reliable reliable. Did your family have Toyotas? How many times were they in the shop for repairs? See, reliable. That's Toyota. Reliable. R E L I A B L E". Reliability is great, don't get me wrong, but reliability can only stir your heart so much. A car is an emotional purchase and Toyotas are just fucking boring, man.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/U06V9LSpBAQ
youtube.com/watch?v=d4gFYO5uAWg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

reliability is a fair point when buying a new car, but then you realize all of their offerings are anemic

They used to be good back before all car companies sucked shitty faggot asshole.

If you intend to actually buy (as opposed to lease) a car, reliability is both a practical and a financial concern. With high reliability come good residuals also.

Also, most cars are built like shit, so Toyota is definitely standing out.

laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand cruiser. accept no substitute. or you're a fag.

also if I was rich I'd defo buy a gt86 and turn it into an ironic sleeper because even facebook normies meme about how underpowered the car is

>Is there any real reason to choose Toyota for anything other than reliability
No, there isn't, but they are very reliable so it's a good choice even if it's morbidly boring

In 1998 you could buy a twin turboed six speed manual supra for 40,000$ USD. You must have just turned 16 to think toyota didnt used to be a master race automobile manufacturer.
But now all cars suck so you cant really point the finger of lameness and single out toyota when every manufacturer is making intensely gay, swollen , safety, autotragic cars for women & cucks.

If you are buying new, yeah you are pretty much right, except for the corolla interior thing, I was just in my friends 2017 corolla and the dash is perfect, real knobs for A/C control and shit.

New toyota is boring as shit, but 60s-90s toyota is the fucking bees knees. Except for wiring from 79 to like 93, the engineers were doing loads of coke when they designed it.

Its really never been a brand for the most technical, highest performing or anything. They've branded themselves as being *the* manufacturer of solid, reliable and honest cars, even if their reliability is somewhat overhyped

Still, statistics don't lie; they're commonly placed as the top brand (both Toyota and Lexus) for reliability, and their cars hold their value very well

I dont for one second regret my purchase. None of the comparable trucks match up, with the Nissan Navara having so many engines with rust, engine and electrics, the L200 being even weaker, less reliable and not as capable and the Mazda BT-50/Ford Ranger having terrible records for rust and electrics

>You must have just turned 16 to think toyota didnt used to be a master race automobile manufacturer.
And you must have just turned 12 because you clearly can't read.
>This isn't even getting into Toyota's extremely impressive performance history which they have abandoned.

>Performance
> Why Toyota (and other brands like Chevy) haven't released competitors to the Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Mazdaspeed 3, Golf GTI, etc. is astounding. There's so much demand there
No, there's not much demand. Sports cars don't sell well at all.
>Styling
Subjective
>Safety
Toyota is one reason GM, Ford and Chrysler have more standard safety features and better crash safety now. Toyota was embarrassing them.
>Simplicity
No argument. But generally the tech stuff Toyota employstends to just work and not be riddled with problems.
>Trucks
>Ford and Chevy do trucks better than anyone else. Take your Hilux memes and shove 'em.
The Tundra is an incredible truck. The first several years it was out it made Ford GM and Dodge look like antiquated garbage and they had to scramble to try to catch up, which by now I would say they finally have. The current Tundra has been out for a whole decade now with only 1 major facelift, but everything under the hood unchanged. They were a decade ahead of their competition in 2007. The Tundra was more capable in every way than any of the other trucks, much safer, much more reliable, and had a FAR superior ride quality and fit and finish quality. I've had them all and the Tundra has been the best of the lot.

Well i respect toyota a lot because of their HISTORY of cars they made, but they pretty much suck now, but so does everyone else. So whats the point of someone making a thread asking about toyotas current state of lameness when the real question is,”whats up with the car industries current state of lameness?”
Only a nine year old would be so naive to not see the bigger picture here and blame one single manufacturer.

the economic crash happened, noone wants to buy le ebin turbo beasts, people can barely afford rent, gas and bills. the cars are direct reflection of market forces

Just wanted to add 2 things:
I admit their model line up is boring. I don't really care for their passenger cars.

Something else to ponder: The combined market cap valuation of Ford, GM and FCA, all combined, is 140 billion dollars.

Toyota is worth 190 billion.

>No, there's not much demand. Sports cars don't sell well at all.
Which is part of the problem

>here, have some affordable sports cars!
>RAH RAH RAH THEY AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH NOT LIKE MY 80s TIN CAN
Car enthusiasts are conceited and stuck in the past. This is practically the beginning of a performance golden age. Horsepower wars are back. We're reaching stock cars that can make the quarter in under 10. We're making souped up commuter cars that can be taken to the track and handle it better than supercars from the 90s. Muscle cars from all brands are highly attractive options that don't ride like shit, and cars that used to be only good in a straightline like Mustangs and Camaros can dominate corners. Lightweight and entrylevel options like the 86twins exist. And yet nobody seems interested enough to actually buy these new beautiful creations.

don't move the goalpost of your original point, dude. you said the op was dumb because he ignored toyota's racing history. the post pointed out you didn't read the part of the op recognizing toyota's racing history. now you just call the thread irrelevant and lower the age of your insult. go shitpost on /tv/.

>now you just call the thread irrelevant

Well youre here so it must be irrelevant

The economic crash ended back in 2009. And it's almost a decade later. Gas is cheap, the economy is much stronger, and cars are infinitely better than they were between the late 90s to around 2010.

I better go to the burn ward

youtu.be/U06V9LSpBAQ

That was all true, ESPECIALLY THE PART ABOUT BMWS BEING WORTHLESS GARBAGE AFTER 10,000 MILES ON THE CLOCK & the owners pointlessly throwing their money away for because they are materialistic, insecure faggots.

Savagegeese, subscribed.

the economy is ((((((better)))))) but its still horrific, its a stagnation with like 1% GDP growth. Job numbers are up but they are low paying jobs with no upward mobility. People arent making great money, not enough disposable income to go buy turbo coupes as a second car for weekend driving. this why we have alot of practical 4 door hot hatches, since people can justify throwing gas into a car that can fit young family and a dog. the sad reality is the market dictates what the companies produce. you want lots of fast RWD coupes? you and your friends go make a bunch of money so the demand becomes apparent to car makers.

Toyota is at a point where they have made their cars boring because that’s what people now in these days care about is safety and gas sipping cars and another reason they don’t try with “sports” cars is because they would have to make it up to certain standards with pollution and mpg’s
and they have to mark it up to make money back.
I’m just waiting for a modern geo metro that doesn’t look gay like the spark

>the sad reality is the market dictates what the companies produce.
Sad? That's just reality. People demand X, companies build X, then people buy X. If the market sucks for you it's because a majority of consumers don't want what you want. Good thing there's everything from $20,000 250 horsepower hothatches to $30,000 450 horsepower pony cars to satisfy the younger and less affluent market.

Better is better.

I swear the next time I hear somebody argue about why their car is better by opening with "well it's got great gas mileage huhuhuh" I'm going to slap them.

Just because you live with your parents and don't know how shit the economy is, doesn't mean that the economy and job market aren't absolute trash right now.

It's not trash. During the Great Recession it was trash. It is not trash now.

>Corollas have an ancient 1.8
Not since '06

No, the reason why the market doesn't have what I want is due to ever increasing safety regulations which force manufacturers to jam as many airbags in then as possible, or because the manufacturer fulfills safety regs by using cheaper materials in an inefficient manner which causes the design to be heavier than it should be
>tfw all you want is a sub 2600+ rwd coupe with rear suicide doors ala the RX-8 but with a better engine but it's a fucking pipe dream unless you want to pay half your mortgage for the car

>performance
Like that matters in an era of speed radars on every corner and carbone emissions tests and expensive gas
>styling
See safety
>safety
See styling
>Simplicity
Isn't it the same as reliability desu?

They moved all their exciting cars to Lexus
So no

And gave them all the same horrible awful looking front grills nobody likes.

I like them
And so do many other people. Please remain in the Quattroporte threads and never leave.

>nice falseflag

bullshit asshole no one likes the lexus here

get yourself an acura for 33k faggot

>a tripfag gets triggered
Your just couldn’t hold your autism in, could you?
The Lexus grille looks fine. Please go back to masturbating to the Fiero or whatever and stop posting.

Toyota doesn't want to damage their reliability reputation. The only thing that might catch attention to some consumers who want reliability, and comfort is a high end Tundra, or an Avalon. Everything else including the Gayus (prius) is just for people who don't care for cars let alone driving as much but wants something reliable and to get around in so they don't have to buy a bus ticket or ride an uber/lyft/taxi.

The Tacoma TRD Pro looks pretty nice if i'm being honest. On the fence about leasing one or not.

Lexus, Toyota's luxury division on the other hand is improving a lil bit, they're cars were stating to look like $20,000 polished shitboxes rather than $50k+ vehicles, they had features that a boring Honda Civic had at the time. Hopefully they keep going in the right direction adding better tech and nifty features all while being reliable at the same time.

why would i want a fucking shaver when i can get superior acura with vtec

This, like pick up an MR2 turbo and tell me honestly you aren't having fun, it aint too bad of a track car either.
Plus the supra and muh 2JZ. It's like the one engine even newfags can name and for a good reason.
Plus lexus's are pretty nice cars, and of course since they're toyota they're reliable. On top of that, rear wheel drive and manual, which is all you really need in a car.
Plus the altezza rs200 which is amazing and an absolutely perfect spiritual succesor to the the initial D meme car that is the ae86, seeing how it's essentially a corolla.

Celicas aint bad cars either for the price if we're talking track cars, especially the 190bhp model. It's literally the toyota civic, it has a form of the variable valve system toyota uses, which is basically vtec. But unlike civics, you can pick up a celica 190 for like 1500.

Toyota is dumping MILLIONS into their LMP1 cars because they are aware how fucking lame they have become over the years.

Akio Toyota himself admits that Toyotas have lost all passion and launched the Toyota Gazoo racing program with a soon to launch sport line up.

The first car of this is the GT86 and soon the Supra (aka BMW z4) bieng a more pricey more powerful sports car.

Toyota is pretty fucking lame. Especially when you consider the glory of BMW or Chevy who have sold econo junk domestically but have always had a presence and heritage in racing while Japan seems to have dominated by being reliable appliances and forgetting about fun.

Toyota's Le Mans effort has been one of the legends though DESU.

Never 4 get. After watching this thing for 24 hours the last hour was just legendary.

youtube.com/watch?v=d4gFYO5uAWg

do new cars even matter anymore? if i want something modern anything from the last 10 years will do

too bad they fucked up the the new supra already. judging off renders and leaked pictures of the body its gonna be truly ugly piece of shit. it will probably cost the same as the z4 as well just with the jap rattle trap interior

my understanding is that BMW only agreed to the deal with the idea that Toyota would not compete iwth the Z4's price bracket.
Thus the Supra will be a Sub $45k or above $65k. Probably less. Its also a coupe.

Seems like they will announce around Le Mans this year because they expect to finally win with Fernando Alonso driving and Porsche not competing.

Not to mention the strong end to the season they had (with the exception of the fucking moron Lopez)

everything about this car looks like shit, the indented roof, the undefined fenders, the horrific eagle talon headlights, the disgusting hood line

>tfw japanese body kit makers like veilside have to save this car

MR2

The next mid engined options are:
Boxster (IMS, service costs much higher)
Cayman (double or more in cost, + servicing cost)
Lotus Elise (Too small, no luggage space at all, not even the token amounts in the MRS)

not really a fan of what BMW came up with either.

The current generation is really good but this is....

At least they still make longitudinal rwd/4x4 vehicles... It could be worse.. Like Honda/Acura where everything is the same fwd grocery getter with a different body and added ground clearance for your active urban lifestyle.

i like the current yaris ia
I'd really like to rice one out 2bh

How big is this car? If its the size of a miata then it's perfect. But I feel like its the size of a station wagon.

what's the matter? is asking $80,000 for this Ivory Civic Type R+ McLaren MP4/4 Heritage Signature Senna edition, really too much ?
why aren't you a Dream-maker™ user?