Horsepower vs. Torque

well?

Try again, but with more effort next time.

Horsepower is a product of torque.

Acceleration = Force / Speed

Wrong again

Pedantic or retarded?

Both

f=ma

flour or bread?

lol that's a retarded question you cant make bread without flower dumbby

High hp.low torque > low hp, high torque.

Horsepower is better.

you got it all backwards

>low torque
Can be compensated with aggressive gearing.
>low power
Can not be compensated.

>Can be compensated with aggressive gearing
then it'll be similar to a high-torque low-power vehicle in the first place. unless it has an absurd amount of power.

lol no, there's this thing called a gearbox

No, a gearbox can not create power, it can just convert it.
It can convert 200 Nm at 9000 rpm to 400 Nm at 4500 rpm, keeping the power the same at 343 hp.
It can not make 200 hp be 400 hp.

oh fuck none of these children know that hp is a product of toque?

I take that's a pic of you op while you were making this thread

>hp is a product of toque
Torque and rpm (and a factor depending on the unit)
100 Nm at 18000 rpm = 200 Nm at 9000 rpm = 400 Nm at 4500 rpm = 800 Nm at 2250 rpm

where did I say a gearbox can make power?

therefore torque is more important. what production engine can rev to 18,000 rpm?

You said a high power and low torque engine, if geared down, would be the similar as a low power and high torque engine.
>similar to a high-torque low-power vehicle

yes, but where did I say a gearbox can make power? I'm saying if geared down, a high-power low-torque engine would perform similarly to a low-power high-torque engine

>what production engine can rev to 18,000 rpm?
Supersportbikes tend to rev that high and have that little torque.
Also most production engines have more than 100 Nm of torque.

>moving goal posts
we're talking about cars here

retard

>here did I say a gearbox can make power?
Basicly here:
>high power engine would perform simmilar to a low power engine

LetÅ› assume the high power engine makes 300 Nm at 10.000 rpm, so 314 kW.
Now take a high torque engine that makes 500 Nm at 3000 rpm, so 105 kW.

If the high power engine is geared down 10:3, it will still make 314 kW, while the high torque engine makes only 104 kW

Out of the 10:3 reduction gear it would make 9996 Nm.

The point being that power is what matters.

Indeed, therefore high power > high torque

lol when the fuck are you gonna cruise down the street at 10,000 rpm? besides your stupid little crotch rockets, we're talking about cars here

We are talking about the point where that engine makes its most power, not where you usually run it.
For example: a F20C with forced induction could actualy produce 300 Nm at 10.000 rpm.
A big old V-8 displacing 5-6 L usually makes about 500 Nm at 3000 rpm.

The correct question is: lower power but wide powerband at low and mid rpm range or high power peak at high rpm.

Both have their uses. Wide power (and thus torque) band is more useful for daily driving and permits longer gear ratios. Peaky engines are good for track because you're gonna stay at high rpm anyways.

I'm talking generally. You would very rarely go to (let alone above) 7,000 rpm unless you're at a track or again, have a crotch rocket. Sure having a high revving engine is good for street racing and such, but for the everyday man, having a high-torque engine will always beat a high hp engine.

With the old V-8 you wouldn run over 2000 rpm most of the time as well, since for the old V-8 it is about as stressfull to go that high as it is for a engine designed to rev 10000 rpm to go over 6000 rpm.

For example:
Motorcycles reving 9000 rpm is not stressing your engine, they can do up to doubble of that.
LS-1 reving 9000 rpm is not even possible.

who is talking about OLD v8s?
>moving goalposts again

Is there a better example for low power and high torque than old V-8s?

okay, if those old V8s were improved with modern technology but still only allowed to rev to 5500 rpm then they would not be stressed at all at about 3000 rpm. Similarly, a 1970s high performance production engine couldn't rev to 8,000 rpm . My main point is that if the engines were both of the same time period and ignoring material tolerance, then having high torque and low power is better than having high power and low torque

how fast it go
how hard it go

A high rpm engine is usually designed significantly different than a high torque one.

But that is not the point of the original discussion.
High power>High torque

>take civic engine
>put in truck
>give it ABSOLUTE MADMAN gear reduction
> needs to rev to 8 grand to go from a stop with a few planks of wood in the bed
or
>take truck engine
>put in civic
>1st gear is 1:1, 2-6 are overdrives
>going 120 down the freeway at 1100 rpm

The typecal civic engine has less power than the typical truck engine tho

I like the 7mgte vs the 2jz... dont tell anyone i know in real life because i only own jz cars.

high torque>high power

that's the point I was making

comfiness levels of the seats

As I pointed out earlier, the high power engine will be faster.

can't make power without torque ;))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Torque is doing litteraly nothing without power.

ur literally retarded. power is doing nothing without torque. power is 100% dependent on torque. dorque is not dependent on power.

X*0=0*X

torque is more useful overall, for cars and everything else

both? since they are a byproduct of each other buttt
>tfw drive focus st
>tfw on a tune 300hp but almost 400tq
i almost hate how much torque it has its retarded i just spin in all gears

>since they are a byproduct of each other
>torque is a byproduct of power
no

also, too much torque is never bad as long as your vehicle is designed to handle it. Putting 400 ftlbs of torque in a gay hot hatch is retarded, for instance

>be me
>Large airliner
>Weigh several hundred tons and can travel at several hundred miles per hour for hours on end
>Remember my engines produce NO torque
>Start falling out the sky because some anons on Veeky Forums say torque is more important than power
>A passenger on board has a torque wrench in their luggage
>The pilot uses the torque wrench to propel the plane
>Everyone onboard claps as they're saved from certain death by torques
>The plane lands safely
>From this point on planes use no fuel and are propelled by a weight on the end of a long lever

Both. Fuck diesel cars and fuck winding your shit out to 9000rpm to pass Linda in her crossover.

yall posting in a shitpost thread
torque vs power is a false dichotomy

I choose LS and get both.

What is torque ELI5

horsepower mows lawns torque wins races

You see this in the rear view mirror while in your turbo V6, what do?

one person summarized it real nicely

"horspower sells cars, torque wins races"

That's oversimplified and stupid.
Torque at a specific RPM tells you how much power you're making at that RPM. Power tells you how fast you can accelerate at a given RPM.

Holy moly there are so many brainlets on this board

That's what happens when your only concept of TQ or HP is a slider in a video game.

No. Why do even NASCARS rev high not to talk about ANY track racing cars, such as F1, LMP1 etc. all rally cars and any racing? Horsepower wins races. Torque is just one part making horsepower

Twisty bits

Power in one motion. Like the power in a "single rotation". Because of that horsepower is just a function of torque and RPM, thus making the torque meme wrong

really made me think

Rally cars make more torque than HP and Nascars still make good torque at low and high rpm's. Other engines have to rev high because they're restricted so much and that's the only way you can make power with 1.5 liters.

that guy should put some air in his itres

Torque doesn't give a fuck about air.

WRC rally cars make more torque than HP because they have an HP cap. Amateur racer racing rally and other classes not restricted rely on HP. Also why do Nascars even rev to 9k when they could redline at 5k and have really long gears? Makes you think

everything "relies on HP", lots of torque means you can make a lot of HP at lower RPMs though

They have a friggin gearbox so they can be in the powerband ffs. Also that's why they have super aggressive final drives on rally cars and top out at like 100 kph

"rhythmic gear changes" provided by new Toyota 10AT (for FR and AWD vehicles) which is one of the key components in the Toyota New Global Architectureâ„¢

this is a strange response, since i don't disagree with you.

Here's the real question

CCA vs voltage?

here's the real question

gravity vs strong nuclear force

Would you rather have a 24V system with 800 CCA, a 12V system with 1600 CCA, or a 48V system with 400 CCA?

Amps. Every car is 12 volts.

>Not modding the electrical system to run with 4 batteries so you can have A/C outlets, televisions, video games, and a wifi system so if shit ever gets too real you can live in your car

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

48V or bust