If the frs/brz had a nissan badge that said 200sx and nothing else changed, would you have a higher opinion of it...

If the frs/brz had a nissan badge that said 200sx and nothing else changed, would you have a higher opinion of it. Maybe lower expectations will make us like the toyobaru

id have a lesser opinion of it because it would have been beat with an ugly stick and then marketed to me with star wars or some other soyboi tier normie shit

No because it still has a POS Subaru engine.

Would it be a good idea to buy one with 30k miles for under 14k?

Thinking of buying a real clean one on the cheap as my daily as there are really no other performance rwd coupes that are as new and bang for buck

this. that engine is fucking trash. I4 woulda been better and I6 would have been God tier

yes, provided it hasnt been niggered up by some ricer. daily it till it hits 100 miles and everything is worn to shit then build it up with a turbo or something

>not waiting until subaru brings out the FA24DIT to the STI to make your final judgements on the FA motor

That's pretty much the only complaint. Just look at this mess.

I don't care how much they can tweak it. The boxer is a pain in the ass to work on. It has the footprint of a V8 with half the power

>waiting for something that Subaru will never do
keep dreaming user

>subaru
>ever making the brz faster than the wrx

lmao

Nah, probably even a worse opinion.

2000's Nissan a shit.

I want to put a diesel in a toyburu.

The worst part of this car is that they could have introduced it with different HP levels like Fiat did with the Challenger and because they didnt every fucking brz86 will be ruined by faggots like 240s are now.

jesus christ

they used the boxer engine to keep the hoodline low. and i4 or i6 wouldve required raising the front and turning it into a brick because of the euro pedestrian crash regs and hood clearance regs.

fug that supercharger kit cost $5k. fuck that nonsense.

Sounds like a deal to me assuming its in gr8 shape. I picked up something like that. After a year and change I have to conclude that I do in fact like it. Now to decide if I like it enough for a long-term relationship or whether to hunt around for its eventual replacement.

>euro pedestrian crash test regs

the worst type of cancer

Oh nice, we really needed another 86 thread

Pic related.

Only aftermarket bullshit I see is debadged in back, red smoked tailights, lip spoiler and a perrin airbox but everything looks stock and unmolested.

Gonna try and haggle to 13.5k

i just want this car to pick up teenage girls

>t. someone who has never worked on a boxer and has only seen pictures of it and assumes its terrible cuz he heard one retarded user bitching about spark plugs

>would you have a higher opinion of it
no it would still be an under powered torque dip pos

is the engine sr20vet ?
if no then ya ill pass

Sounds pretty standard nothingburger mods. I'd mainly be interested to have a look at general wear and tear, check for rust, scuffs, see if it feel like a pile of noodles, if the 2nd gear synchro is toast, etc. Normal signs of where on the spectrum from cared for to had the piss beat out of it that it falls.

This. It fucking blows my mind that this car has no options AT ALL for any kind of upgrade from the factory. Literally why didn't they put a fucking turbo or something on it? these cars run great and suddenly become great with a turbo kit

A top-trim model with factory boost wouldn't even have to threaten the WRX or whatever their hangup is to make a very real difference in day to day satisfaction. Sure everybody wants a 400HP Kia Stinger slayer or whatever, but 230HP, say, and no torque dip could really jazz things up.

I wouldn't mind a higher redline, either, personally, esp. if the 86mm x 86mm is a hard limit for them when it comes to displacement.

>would you have a higher opinion of it

The brand does nothing for my opinion, the shitty boxer engine on the other hand kills it for me.

This is 100% true. Hell, I own a pretty much completely stock R33 GTST and that thing only really makes about 200hp to the wheels give or take, and it's still goddamned great fun to drive. The 86 is only like 200kg lighter than the R33 GTST anyway so you could get away with less probably.

Sadly the lower redline is an issue indicative of boxer engines, but really I'm not super fussed about that too much since it helps facilitate the 86/BRZ's honestly gorgeous slim design. With a low-range turbo it wouldn't really matter anyway.

Make the car the most fun going from 0-80kph and back again and nobody would really complain. I've driven two of these now and the chassis itself is so nice to throw around corners that that's all you'd need; a bit more low end torque and power. Honestly a shame that they haven't done fucking anything with the series as a whole.

what if they mounted it sideways

Look, really there's nothing wrong with Boxer engines, especially Subaru designed ones. They're perfectly fine for what they were trying to achieve, which is a low profile pair of seats that moves forwards and backwards, as well as around corners, they just could have given it a lot more Subaru love.

I mean fuck, the baffling thing about it is that Subaru is absolutely not a stranger to wringing performance out of flat-4s. It really confuses me that they and Toyota wouldn't apply some STI mischief to the whole platform.

The whole thing stinks of Toyota not wanting to go over a certain P/W ratio or something, and Subaru having to go along with it with their version because pert of the agreement was probably that Toyota gets to call the shots. I mean, you can't sell two versions of the same car where one is objectively better, right?

On the upside, in a few years when these cars start dipping into the sub $10k bracket used (at least here in Aus) you'll have one of the best platforms possible for a project.

As for engine swapping, imagine a larger engine in an 86, with a 240Z-inspired hood bulge. That gives me the tingles down there.

Really all u need for the car to be porsche tier is a good turbo/charger kit and better tires, uel headers and exhaust that isnt tiny and ur good.

Really good bargin buy a used one for 14k, invest 5 or so k and you have a cayman killer

>GOOD turbo/charger kit
>GOOD tires
>headers
>exhaust
>All for 5k
Nah

5k is what FI kits start at across all cars you moron, stick to modding civics with shitty ebay parts you retarded poorfag

>cant even reply to the right person

I meant to quote both, I sage'd would be nice if you did too

why the Fuck would you quote both? I was saying you couldnt do all those mods for 5k either.

Because you're just as retarded bumping this dead thread replying to some obvious moron that posted over 3 hours ago. Now I look just as dumb as you, that's the cost of being a phoneposter

>that's the cost of being a phoneposter
nah that's the cost of you being a dumbass

Why do retards always defend the engine choice by mentioning the hoodline? Did you really only buy the car for looks?

The flat 4 isn't even that much shorter.

if you mounted the engine sideways, wouldn't the car drive sideways?

think about it, it'd be the perfect car for countries on the equator where everything is sideways anyways

Subaru only did it because they have to stick their garbage flat 4 engines in everything