Soyboy who grew up in Oregon here...

Soyboy who grew up in Oregon here. I'm about to drive down to California and I'm a little scared about using the gas pump since I've never pumped my own gas in Oregon.

Basically just stick the tube into the hole and hold the trigger right? How do you know when it's about to get full though? Do you listen for it or will the machine beep or something? Getting nervous just thinking about it...

Other urls found in this thread:

nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2014/02/the_real_reason_self-service_gas_was_banned_in_nj_corruption_not_safety.html
oregoncoc.com/introducing-bikepac-of-oregon/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it'll stop by itself when the tank is full.

it wont pump anymore when its full.
a literal retard can use them. if you can't, you're something special. and not in a good way.

don't. don't drive. hand in your license and stay in your mommy's basement.

Wait. What?
How have you never used a pump before?
Mfw Shell stations in NZ started going over the top with pump attendants constantly asking if you'd like your gas pumped but eventually people realized you have to sit around playing with your dick waiting for them to finish before paying.

Only in the last couple years, too, people are too polite to say yes.

Oregon doesn't let people pump their own gas

It's always been illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon. I always thought other states were the same until someone told me that it was just us...

what the fuck, why? are people in oregon like sub 80 IQ?

Curious. Has there been a precedent set as to why it's justified or just some archaic lawmaker still with his mark on the world?
Sounds like a 'LET THERE BE JOBS!" vote grab.

They just eat too much soy and therefore all the men have a condition know as "soy-arm and soy-brain". It means they are too weak and effeminate to:

1. be able to lift the heavy fuel nozzle to their gas tank
2. have the mental capacity to operate a relatively complicated machine (to them) such as a fuel pump (soy feminizes the brain and therefore decreases their ability to operate manly machines)

I noticed that there are quite a few different methods for pumping gas in various states in provinces and I'm always curious which ones carry over and why. I live in British Columbia and out here you have to pre pay for your gas before you pump it because some douche nozzle stole some gas and a gas station attendent tried to chase him down but he was run over in the process.

Another weird rule is in the City of Richmond every gas station is full service as part of a make work program. Also, the gas stations can't charge extra for this additional staff due to this program. Because of this there is an annoying lack of gas stations in Richmond.

I also found it really frustrating that I only had 2 minutes from when I pre paid for the gas until i pumped it before the pump would cancel the transaction. I think this happened to me in Washington and I was fuckin around with the pump for 5 minutes before i realized this shit wasn't working...

apparently if a vehicle hits the cement island where the gas pump is located the pump has to be shut down until an inspector determines it is safe to use even if there's no damage to the pump itself.

>Land of the free
>Not allowed to pump your own Gas

Really gets your noggins joggin

>I always thought other states were the same until someone told me that it was just us...
New Jersey does the same thing but as far as I'm aware that's the only other state that does that.

>Facebook
you have to go back

In California. Christmas weekend was pumping gas, stupid nozzle did not stop automatically when tank was full, gasoline started squirting our everywhere took out nozzle started to drip down handle and onto my shoes and pants and quarter panel of car before I could disengage the auto pump bracket (whatever its called). Good thing i had it at lowest setting of speed. Fuck me, got some water from the buckets that have the thing to clean your windshields rinsed gas of car and my pants/shoes. Luckily there is automatic car wash open 24/7 a couple miles away, drive there and now have to do cheap wash on waxed/clayed car just 2 days before. wash car drive 2 hours home smelling of gas. Sun night rolls around go to new area to meet friends hit pothole car now has low sounding clunking sound when driving around 40 mph. nothing feels loose no difference in steering wheel feedback or vibrations probably fucked strut nonetheless. And to top it all off car has now today developed a weird whining/moaning sound from diff or trans. Happy fucken Christmas to every fucken body.

Bro wat? It only comes out 1 speed, what pump bracket are you talking about

OP, these guys
are trying to trick you
if you overfill your tank by letting it get to the pump's emergency cutoff, you run a serious risk of your car catching on fire
if you hear a clunk and the pump stops, immediately go tell the cashier that you overfilled, they'll come out with a siphon and take some of it out for you
you'll still have to pay for everything you pumped, so it's better to just put in $15 or so worth to save money
if you can, try to go to a full service station
pumping gas is best left to professionals

Does anyone still have the gas stations where people come out and pump it for you?

I think there are one or two in my entire city, and I've seen a handful across the province (mostly in rural areas). But most are self-serve only.

when you hold the trigger on the nozzle, if you hold it in its at max pumping speed if you start letting go the speed slows down, and they have those little bracket/clips that you can push in, to hold the trigger in place, usually 2 maybe 3 settings i always choose the slowest because i always feared something like that might happen. these are chevron anyways i have not gone to another gas station in years.

Nz here, only Shell (Z) as part of their PR bumrush new identity in the last couple years.

Otherwise it's just 2 staff, 1 register, 1 making coffees and misc shit.

lmao is that what that little metal piece is?

Have you read a single word in this thread before posting?

It's a trigger lock that trips when the tiny little vacuum pipe at the end of the nozzle is submerged in petrol.

Alright I'm really fucking confused. Tell me this is a ruse?
I've been driving 12 years and never had someone fill up for me.

Are there genuinely people on Veeky Forums who are don't know how to use a fuel pump?

some states force full service, like new jersey

you literally are forbidden from pumping your own gas

Last I checked there was still an OR exemption to pump your own gas in a motorcycle. The real issue at hand though is to speed up US pump's to.match the ones in the UK. Those bitches spew fuel.

LAND OF THE FREE

>land of the New Jersey and Oregon

>I've never pumped my own gas
Dont u fuckheads have jerry cans?

>pumping your own gas

Your not even allowed to pump jerry cans

>be in Oregon, land of the free
>Need to put some fuel in my lawnmower from a can of fuel I have
>The gas transfer man is too busy
>I have a sneaky look around to check for cops
>Start filling the lawnmower
>A neighbor spots me, immediately notifies law enforcement
>Here the sirens
>Shit, it's the police
>Get shot 57 times in the chest for resisting arrest
>Mfw I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free

I think the law is much better in New Jersey because atleast if you live in New Jersey you have no pretensions about being free. For a state in the Pacific Northwest to have that law though is just shitty.

surely you've put jerrycans in your mower or tractor or whatever shit

>His "country" doesn't have unmanned gas stations

I find this plausible:
nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2014/02/the_real_reason_self-service_gas_was_banned_in_nj_corruption_not_safety.html

If it's a question of whether there's corruption in New Jersey the answer is absolutely yes. It's true that the average New Jerseyite is almost certainly too stupid to pump their own gas safely. But then again you're fooling yourself if you think New Jersey politicians give a single fuck about the safety of their constituents.

if you're from Portland then please listen

why the utter fuck would you ever wont to go down to the ass stain that is cali, i get that we got an inch of snow here and its practically Armageddon but you must remember the true enemy here, Californians

Yeah, that's interesting. I think the pacific northwest M.C.'s legal teams have something to do with that.

>2001 – Oregon motorcyclists won the right to pump their own gas. HB 3885 goes into law, which gives motorcyclists the choice of fueling their own bikes.
oregoncoc.com/introducing-bikepac-of-oregon/

Which is why I believe it. 48 other states have no problems with self-pumping, so I completely distrust any of the safety or economic justifications on the restrictions. I can't find any real talk about Oregon besides the little snippets about Motorcycle clubs winning HB 3885. I can only imagine it has something to do with taxes and corruption, but with the added complacency of the public generally buying into the environmental hippy bullshit of the ecological justifications. Bad laws can usually be figured out by following the money.

Always get the most ethanol ethanol means it's the best.

Is this an American thing? I've never not pumped my own fuel in the UK.

In some >le 56% states there are petrol station forecourt attendants that fill your car up for you. In New Joisey and Oregon it's illegal to fill your own car

Probably after bikers getting 1 gallon into a tank and being told to fuck off after that

On sportbikes, 1 gallon might not even get you 30 miles

>no way the nozzle stopped i don't want to overfill it! that would be dangerous!

>american motorcyclists are very concerned about pumping gas and repealing helmet laws
>you can't even ride up between cars at stoplights unless you're californian

What this user said basically.
They did it so that every station had to hire attendants. It's kinda nice in the winter, but in the summer I just want to gas and go, not sit and wait for some bitch to pump my gas.

Also when I drove a tow truck I ended up in an argument with some old fuck attendant who didn't know we were allowed to pump our gas. Dipstick wouldn't have even known where the hole was even if I had let him try.

Doesn't help that the system on those pops after like 1/4 of a tank. My Suzuki has a 2.1gal tank, but the pump sets off after .5gal if that. Have to keep the nozzle only 1/2" in or it'll keep popping.

It's illegal to fill the jerry can you fucking retarded nigger.

>Another weird rule is in the City of Richmond every gas station is full service as part of a make work program. Also, the gas stations can't charge extra for this additional staff due to this program. Because of this there is an annoying lack of gas stations in Richmond.
>less jobs in the end
kek classic retarded government

wonder how the fuck we're going to survive a minimum wage hike from $11 to $15 within a couple years. Katherine Wynne is a retard

SURELY YOU UNFILL THEM WHEN U GET THEM HOME THO IDIOT

I was just in Oregon and I pumped my own gas, the dude walked go on me like can I help you and I was like nah I'm good.
Cucked him good.

Breh what the fuck is with that u cant pump ur own gas law?

Does any other COUNTRY on earth even have that?

>Gas cans are made illegal for this very reason in Oregon and new jersey
>You have to drive a fucking weedwacker to the gas station just to fill it up

please tell me this is a joke?

It's nothing to do with country, it's a state law.
Every state has their own laws, if you don't like the laws in one state just go to another one.
Europoors find it hard to understand this

I think there's a provision for holidays and odd hours because people out in the sticks weren't able to buy gasoline at all sometimes. This in itself makes the case for the law even more retarded. Curious: were you out in the boonies, was it during a holiday, and was it late at night or early in the morning?

No i mean does any other state/county have similar laws?

Does any other state in america or outside have even the remotely similar situation where you are required to PAY for someone to pump your gas?

I was on the 84 freeway headed up to Tacoma, it was around noon and pretty busy.
Oregon landscape is kinda cool I wish I had my dirt bike I would have torn those nice smooth hills to shreds

The only other state I know of is New Jersey but none of these states require you to pay them, you just give them the money for the gas and they pump it, you can tip them if you want.
Politicians pass these laws to give people jobs, it's really stupid.

>Politicians pass these laws to give people jobs, it's really stupid.
it sounds good on paper
>give mexiniggers jobs
>???
In reality though it creates more problems than it solves

Surely jerry cans arnt illegal tho thats gotta be taking the piss

Another funny one though my dad was telling me he visited Oregon a long time ago and it was illegal to move your drink inside a bar, say you wanted to move from one table to another you would have to get a waitress to grab your drink for you and carry it to the next table.
Crazy shit lol

is this a joke?

Youknowho from aus here so i have no fucking idea

holy fuck lmao

No, the entire west coast is fucking insane, being stuck to California does bad things to you.
It's not a law anymore thankfully but lmao that it was even at one time.
Hopefully the gas pump law goes away as well.

Eh im sure Oregon has bigger problems then some cunts paying for gayniggers to pump their soygas

America: Land of the free

Yeah, every state is free to make their own laws
In Cali having my hand gun in the cabin of the car loaded is illegal and you need a permit which is impossible to get to carry it, go over to Arizona and I can conceal carry it with no permit and keep it on me fully loaded all the time, I think I can even take it in bars with me lol

Oregon also has a stranglehold on liquor. Every liquor store has to buy from the state and sell for the same price as every other store. They used to have a ton of retarded blue laws though, I blame the mormons.

when I visited South Africa, all the fuel stations I visited all had somebody pumping the gas for you as well as someone else cleaning your windows, and whenever a taxi pulls up for a refilling, they rocked the taxis from side to side (idk if this helps fill up the tank more or not)

new jersey here. you are correct. i do however pump my own gas if nobody comes over to me within a few seconds. the customer doesn't get in trouble at all it's the gas station that gets fined when somebody uses the pump themself. so i use it as a "fuck you for making me wait enjoy this $500 fine." that's if it's even enforced i'm not sure

it sort of helps with high summer temps as backpressure from the evaporating gas can fuck up those auto cutoffs on pumps

it is a joke. if you want to fill a jerry can with gas (or mixed with 2-stroke for your weedwacker) you tell the attendant at the pump you're filling the cans and they'll either let you do it or do it for you

diesel is self serve though

is this because truckies would crush soyattendants head in if they tried this shit?

OP this guy is being retarded

good luck don't kill yourself

>tfw never pumped gas

lol could they not have found a better nigger for their photo op? maybe one with all his teeth?

>Oregon fag here
I did some light research into this years ago, and it boiled down three things:
1) During the oil crisis, some fishy shit was going on and people were buying up all the gas. The stores could hire someone and then set a ration quota and it was then enforceable.
2) Oregon government claims it made jobs for the lower class and claims to have some data to back that up.
3) Gas is (kinda) considered a "controlled substance" in the same sense tobacco and liquor are, and therefore need a qualified employee to sell a taxed item.

About 2 years ago, they eased the law and said towns of (I believe) 40k people or less could pump their own gas during certain hours, and even smaller towns could self service during any hours. This was done because of the claim it was too expensive for business owners to staff pumps in low-volume areas.

Oh, and you can pump your own diesel in Oregon, at the station's owner's discretion. Some will require that the attendants fill it.

That's never happened nor been a law. Must have been an anal bartender or owner.

Liquor can only be sold in state-licensed stores or bars (but not malt beverages or wine). Price is not regulated (it isn't the same price at every store) and is set by the store owner, but is always higher than bordering states. You also can't buy alcohol between the hours of 2-7am, and bars have to stop serving at those hours as well.

Gas cans are legal, but tennants are not supposed to fill anything that doesn't have one of those vapor-lock style heads. Although, I've never been turned away with a classic jerry can.

Gets kinda weird with large 4x4's and boats; some stations insist that they fill it, others let you do it.

>Other stupid fun fact of Oregon Law
At some point, it was illegal to eat ice cream on a Sunday in Oregon. No idea what the backstory on that was.

>Oregon government claims it made jobs for the lower class and claims to have some data to back that up
I don't think I've ever met a single gas station attendant in Oregon that wasn't a teenager or a recovering meth addict. I guess they got one thing right.