I'm learning to code on codeacademy.com but I'm starting to feel like I'm missing out on a lot...

I'm learning to code on codeacademy.com but I'm starting to feel like I'm missing out on a lot. Should I pay $10-25k for a good bootcamp? I have about 8 hours a day I can devote to studying and programming. Anyone have any experience with online bootcamps?

If I go through with it I'll be financing the tuition and I can afford the monthly payments. If all goes well I would get a job making a good deal more than I make now so it would be worth the investment. Just wondering if it's really hard to get hired with no degree, no experience, just a boot camp.

Other urls found in this thread:

lynda.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just get a subscription to Pluralsight and go to conferences and presentations near you

Studying programming means shit unless you're

1. Building specific projects to show off to employers. Nothing retarded like a video game with kawaii anime girls.
2. Studying for an official exam

codeacademy or any of those bootcamps are literally meant for 12-15 year old pajeets and asian kids.

>Should I pay $10-25k for a good bootcamp?

no.

You can get lots of online resources for free and some good stuff for a small monthly subscription.

For example lynda has some good stuff for just a few $$$'s a month.

lynda.com/

anyone else sad they didn't fall for the programming meme?

my friends all went that way and I told myself no, don't follow the flock, the bubble has to burst soon
it's a job with apparently no downsides, astronomical starting pay and every other person is doing it. and yet there's still a demand and readily available jobs.

hmm I did pluralsight for a couple different IT certifications and it did work, but is it going to get me ready to work as a web dev or software engineer?

I know codeacademy is for children that's why I'm looking to expand my learning resources. I understand about the projects and I have a few planned out.

So you would say I could get job-ready just with the free resources and a few paid classes?

It's never too late. We could learn together :^)

No faggot

A bootcamp is a scam, they'e making $$$ off of you. You can't learn to be a good programmer in a few months. Not even a couple years. Dedicate several years and lots of effort to it, don't try to do things quickly and easily. You don't need to spend money.

Download books, follow online tutorials then try to implement your ideas and do your own shit

This, there is no substitute for practice. Anyone who says they can make you an expert with a small payment of $10k is scamming you.

The ultimate major is finance and network engineering.

1. Finance jobs prefer people who know mathematics and a little bit of coding for technical analysis
2. If a financier position is unavailable, you can default to code junkie
3. If pajeet takes coding job, being a network engineer literally is just someone with a CS degree plus a CCNA

>codeacademy is for children
Bootcamps are more so. Please, for the love of god, dont fall for this meme and waste 15k.

I went to a 5k 2 week code camp when i was 17. First off, i was oldest kid there by far eventhough it was geared towards highschoolers. 2nd off, it was just terrible school overrall. They dont teach you anything you cant learn in a week on your own. They just teach basics like if and then statements and bools, and imports. They will NOT teach you anything useful like how to make a trading algorithm. And most of the time, they dont even teach you anything and just send you off on your own to build your personal project. Lots of kids there just made shitty unity games instead of something practical. You would learn a shit ton more just by looking at example coding in other peoples projects or reading a book.

But fine, if you want to be a retard who blows off 20k on a useless coding academy taught by reject CS and SE majors, go ahead.

ok let's say all of that is true, and I'm not even sure I disagree with you.

the fact remains I have heard maybe 7 stories of people who had no technical background whatsoever, went to a bootcamp, and 6-12 months later were making 60-70k a year doing web dev or software engineering.

so whether or not you can learn to be a "good programmer", can I do what a lot of other people have done and get a job out of a bootcamp?

Do you want to make an ethereum based app op?

lol I have my CCNA btw.

sure man. is this like a dapp thing or just a normal app?

I can guarantee you that many, many people could not get a job after a bootcamp.

The fact is, most companies will automatically throw out your resume is you don't have a CS, CE, SE, or related degree or years and years of solid experience.

Few companies are willing to hire someone who just completed a bootcamp, and even fewer actually do.

I hope you are lying because why the fuck would you even bother pursuing network engineering without a coding background.
>7 stories of people who had no technical background whatsoever, went to a bootcamp, and 6-12 months later were making 60-70k a year doing web dev or software engineering.
this is probably another exaggerated truth. Which coding camp are you talking about?

yeah I'm sure this is true. I guess if I had some really cool projects to show them maybe I could find one to take a shot on me, but it'd obviously be an uphill battle.

Also, the "developer shortage" is a lie propagated by companies who want congress to approve shipping in cheap H1Bs.

Unless you get a graduate degree in CS or you are exceptionally talented, programming as a career is dying in the US.

Check out coursera.com they have free programs and s good selection in computer science

flatiron school and bloc

and nah man I'm a CCNA I can show you my acclaim badge or my Cisco Cert Insiders points. I just did it because I have all this free time and I'm looking to gain new skills and someone suggested that to me. It was very easy and required no coding knowledge.

Freecodecamp.com

>So you would say I could get job-ready just with the free resources and a few paid classes?

Yes if you put the time and effort into it.

Honestly, I'd much rather do that than a CS degree. Only go to one that promises you a job though, they exist.

I knew a girl who went to get an Art History degree, went to General Assembly in Seattle and then got a UX Designer job in NYC.

>coding bootcamps
Jesus fuck no. Those things are huge scams which equip you with shit you can learn online. If you want to improve past basic skills make a project on github or start work. It could be anything like a website or a game.

>Building specific projects to show off to employers.

People say this but I've never seen it in the field. Employers don't want to see your projects. They want to know how cheap you are and if they'd like to have a beer with you. That's it. Skills are a distant third or fourth place.

That said, I agree that bootcamps are kind of a poor investment.

Really, though, nothing's a great investment when the employer is only concerned about price and your choice of football teams.

>nothing's a great investment when the employer is only concerned about price and your choice of football teams.
This is actually sadly true

> (OP)
>I knew a girl

And there's how she got that job.

Find a data structures and algorithms course. Bootcamp will just teach you how to build webapps. Pursue a more formal education through free / cheap content. Look up curriculum for CS programs.

So an employer would look better on a "formal education" that was self-taught than a bootcamp environment?

maybe there's a miscommunication when I say bootcamp I don't mean one of these 12 week crash courses I mean like a 24-36 week program and a few of them offer job guarantees, albeit with some fine print.

hilarious because i literally know someone like this.

"oh man, ______ how did you land THAT job, i know you didnt major in it what training did you do?" "i met a guy and he hooked me up"

>10-25k
Wtf at that point just get an associates degree with actual credibility. No one will take your bootcamp seriously.

>CCNA
Literally everyone has it tho. I got mine in hs ffs.

Try a Google nanodegree

has anyone ever learnt to code on codeacademy?
ive tried it a couple times and right now whatever i "learned" is totally forgotten

JUST BUY A FUCKING $20 BOOK. You are not a child you don't need a program to teach you how to program. The amount of books. On every language available today should make learning to program easy. Do not fall for memes.

Also
>ive tried it a couple times and right now whatever i "learned" is totally forgotten
This happens because either you're not making your own programs based on ideas outside code academy, or you just don't practice enough. Programming is an active thing.

codecamp is shit. go through some books. fucking idiot.

An old friend did one (after normal college for IT degree) and has a programming job now but he's a Chad. Generally they have a bad reputation for a reason.

Might as well get an associates. For the time and effort. Those can be worthless and scammy too though.

How do I actually learn proramming? For webdev, should I just learn the basics from any tutorial/book, then go to make my own projects and not care about anything else?

Loosely follow tutorials. Add your own spice else you just end up copy pasting without learning anything.

I'd start at a local community college. If you're serious, then you shouldn't need 30k for someone to tell you what you should find readily available on the internet. Google free source codes, and read books. The fastest way you are going to learn is if you actively submerse yourself in to the field and keep at it until you become successful.