I've been seeing this more and more often lately

I've been seeing this more and more often lately.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=loqRWbEi24o
mitsubishi-fuso.com/content/fuso/en/lineup/truck/index.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

its time for a fleet upgrade

inb4 dodge charger mail carriers

yeah, weren't those things built in the 50's?

Soon

What, Americans using cabovers again?

well they are getting pretty old

What is that and how likely is it I can convert it into a camper van?

Hardly, that's still a rarity.

Mahindra Postal. It's one of the 5 proposed LLV replacements.

That one is supposed to come in different weight classes, 2wd or 4wd, hybrid, and whatnot. This isn't the same one but I imagine space would be an issue for a camper.

What's the point of sleepers on tow trucks? Tow trucks make 1000 mile round trips a lot?

>Production 1987–1994

Trucks like that are going to be towing other rigs and stuff. And yeah sometimes they go long distance. Gotta friend who does it for a living (no sleeper) and he still goes out of state often.

*smacks lips*

try replacing over 100,000 vehicles

Unlike retarded semi truck pipe dreams, electric post vans would actually be a neat, practical and realistic idea.

The German postal service is already deploying the first generation of electric vans. Still has a couple of minor bugs, but it's promising.

as long as they arent as ugly as that im cool with it. keep them white or neutral colored and remove the faggy pictures painted on the side

USPS' contract is 180,000 new vehicles so they plan on it.

Couple of the contenders for the USPS shit are electric. Winner is supposed to be announced early next year.

That's the problem with corporates these days. Everyone who's stock listed is forced to worry about stockholders and quarterly returns, and doesn't pay attention to long term investments anymore, many of which have to be carried by public subsidies, while the stockholders continue raking in money.

If they are subject to HoS regulations like most commercial drivers they may be out of hours and that's how they get back. I have watched it happen with daycab drivers who run out of hours but still have to make the delivery so instead of being men and driving the rest of the way they stop call a tow truck and tow the rig and the load into its destination to circumvent HoS

German postal vans have always been yellow, you clown.

>instead of being men
You mean instead of risking losing their operating license and occupation.

Is there any government role you yanks don't use Chargers for? They seem like a pretty great workhorse tbqh

Most standard gvt fleet cars are Impalas, don't think I've seen any Chargers.

>in parking lot
>smell and hear an old outboard motor
>look up
>it's a USPS truck

Really made me think desu.

im saying for the us

Gotta love the ol’ iron dook. Might not be a powerhouse, but they’ll run in a daily for just about ever.

>his countries postal worker doesn't use CT110 bikes

Well tell your senator, or congressmen, or quit voting for republitards.

Its for wheelbase more then anything. The longer the truck the more it can lift without the front wheels coming off the ground. With how the weight is carried a tow truck acts like a gigantic lever, so if its longer it helps counter all the weight of the truck its towing.

Lots of them are built on first gen Chev S10 frames.

Mail man in my neighborhood drives a fucking Dodge caravan.

They were everywhere briefly when the Crown Victoria was being phased out, but most fleets seem to have subsequently ditched them in favor of either the new Caprice, Taurus, or Explorer.

>They seem like a pretty great workhorse tbqh
They would be, if not for >FCA Reliability

I just hope they sell off the old LLVs once they replace them all.

Imagine a mid-engined, LS-powered, RHD sleeper death box.

>Vote in democrats so the failing post office can get new vehicles!
That's exactly why we don't vote for democrats.
Government money is my money. There's no reason to waste it just because it feels endless.
The most good we can do for the country is to stop the federal government from wasting public funds.

The only reason why we have these is because Grumman promised they'd all be electric. Low and behold they couldn't make them but already had the contract. So they made a box truck out of a S10.

the only thing that is for sure is that the new fleet will be one of the bailout companies.

Chrysler actually offered commercial versions of those through all generations by taping up the rear windows and putting a plastic bedliner in the back instead of rear seats.

Well it wouldn't have been an LLV if it were all electric now would it?
They would have all been junked 20 years ago.

That makes sense. Must have absolutely awful turning radius though, especially with an entire semi combination on the hook.

The LLV was supposed to be very fuel efficient, carry more than the Jeep mail carrier and last decades. Grumman pandering to libtards and screwing everyone over resulted only capacity increasing.

Depends on the truck really. Some turn on a dime, other's need an airstrip. As a rule of thumb with trailers, as long as you are longer then it, the trailer will follow you perfectly in turns, so you only have to swing for your truck, however it sucks to back up as they want to go everywhere.

Now, trucks AND trailers on the other hand....

>As a rule of thumb with trailers, as long as you are longer then it, the trailer will follow you perfectly in turns
That makes no sense from a geometric perspective. Trucks with short trailers will merely have less inward pull to account for. Depends on all sorts of factors from steering angle to trailer wheelbase to coupling position respective to tractor and trailer to trailer wheelbase to be honest.

A normal truck sure, and its not something that's necessarily noticeable as, generally, all trailers are at least the same length or longer then the truck towing them. The exception, however, is heavy tow trucks. At the sheer size difference, sometimes the tow truck being twice as long as the towed vehicle, the "trailer" will follow perfectly behind and not swing out past the path the tow truck truck. Its defiantly not something that is very applicable outside of heavy towing, however.

They did last decades.
They're still lasting.
They'd last another 50 years if they'd service them.

If that's the case then it's because the tow truck has the wheel lift behind the rear axles, meaning it'll slightly swing outward in turns, dragging the towed vehicle with it.

Canada post pretty much has. They're all pretty much new transits now. All the other courier companies are constantly upgrading too.

POO

see attached (1 of 2)

there is no tow truck design vehicle, but this might be slightly like it (2 of 2)

I have all of the design vehicles if anyone wants a particular one. This includes buses, semis with singles, doubles and triple trailers, etc

idiot me forgot the picture

I'm remembering this time in the 40's when a lot of shit was red....

K5 blazer mail truck. "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

USPS trucks only average like 25miles a day. an electric van with 100 mile range could do 3 days of work and then charge over night. line it up right with the vans at a post office. then you only need a few chargers for all the vans. since you don't be charging them all at the same time. the constant low speed stop and go is perfect for EVs. EVs are quieter. every 10 years a battery pack goes to retire and be a grid storage battery pack for few decades. while a new pack is put in the vehicle. add in some autopilot hardware. So the delivery driver has some of the work load taken off and is much safer.

Soon(TM)

IN THE LOO

Ours don't even have pedal bikes anymore. They replaced then with trolleys because of safety or something. I think the real reason might have actually been that walking is fine as houses are so close together constantly getting on and off a bike would be more of a nuisance than just walking.

If these are sold off, would they be worth buying?

>American semi truck turning paths

Here's the turning circle requirement for semis in Germany and much of Europe.

They're pretty iconic vehicles by a company that normally does not make cars.
iirc they are basically an S10 underneath.
LS1 swap? LS1 swap.

>No AC/barely working heat
>leaky windshield
>exhaust on same side as the door
No thank you

>delivers your mail without spilling a glass of water

Is the USPS really adopting a poo-mobile???

U w0t m8?

I like how the shittiest engine in the world aside for reliability get the coolest name in the world
IRON DUKE
While everything half decent get a boring code.

He probably means in terms of corporate budget. 100,000 vehicles are an expense of multiple billion dollars, and that's probably just a fraction of the overall fleet.

Ever see that mad cunt that turbo charger one of these to like 250 hp? Hang on I'll find the YouTube bit

No. Am general will get the contract.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=loqRWbEi24o

Eurofags don't understand it is safer to tow with a big vehicle. I wouldn't dare tow anything bigger than a smart car with the OP

>English advertising in Germany

Never felt cucked enough did you hilter fags?

Amerifats are lazy and would rather use overdimensioned tools than put a little more thought in. Most operating safety comes down to operator care and awareness. Also Fusos are legitimate light duty vehicles and rated for 6500 kg or 14300 lbs vehicle weight and 3500 kg or 7700 lbs towing here.

>amazon now sells beer in glass and ships it to your door in perfect condition

>As a rule of thumb with trailers, as long as you are longer then it, the trailer will follow you perfectly in turns

The width of the trailer has a lot to do with this.

Tiny equipment trailers that you can't even see in your mirrors then yes.

But i can guarantee you that even if they are only 8 feet in total length if their track is as wide as yours (eg. Cement mixer) then you need to account for it cutting corners.

>Boring code

Most good engines had their money spent on the engine and not the marketing division.

Notice that America has the most "named" engines and the rest of the world doesn't even try.

In America if you call a car lightning and it is slow, people don't seem to care. Call it a lightning anywhere else and people start asking why it isn't fast.

>Fuso

That is an Isuzu. An Isuzu NLR by the looks of it.

>Also Fusos are legitimate light duty vehicle

mitsubishi-fuso.com/content/fuso/en/lineup/truck/index.html

They have many ratings up to 49 tonnes GVW. Which is a semi truck, mind you.

The one sold here and in the US is the Fuso Canter.

Well, Mitsubishi here has more than just the Canter.

Well, I was talking about the Canter since it's the only one that matters to this discussion.

Mitsubishi trucks a massive shit. Sub-150HP engines to move six ton(ne)s of cargo?

Diesels that probably make the same torque as 350 hp petrols.

the mailmen where i'm at are beating the shit out of them so they'll be replaced faster
probably the lada niva of the us
my office was actually looking into dodge vans
i dont remember if they were the transit ones or the minivans
probably a terrible fucking idea to get tony involved with the mail

Well if you had specified "canter" then maybe people would understand.

It is in the similar channel as the HURRRR TOYOTA TRUCKS ARE SHIT argument when really they are just talking about the Tacoma and Tundra, which are actually pickups.

Doubt it. They might upgrade to Ford Transits or something.

or maybe not, Transits are extremely problematic.

The six ton payload Jap trucks usually run 200-225hp

I mean in America itself you have 30 tons of vehicle being pulled around by a 300hp engine.

The only people who think those power ranges are low, are pickup fags who think 1,800 lbs payload is acceptable in a 5000 lbs (empty), 340 hp vehicle.

>EVs are quieter
How will I know when the postman is passing my house? When I hear the truck I usually walk over to say hi and get packages so he doesn't have to walk up my driveway. Unless no one else does this.