Is coasting in neutral bad for your car?

is coasting in neutral bad for your car?

No, i do it all the time.

no, in fact, it is probably better on the car because you are basically rolling under your own force and not the engine/clutch

Only in autos

Is turning the steering wheel bad for my car?

its fine for your car

Yeah you'll need new bushing fluid if you do that too much

Basically this. With an automatic transmission while in neutral your transmission cooler isn't functioning so if you are coasting at a particularly high speed your transmission fluid might get heated beyond it's specified limits

Hey anons, quick question that is sort of related. Does coasting in gear use more fuel or less than coasting in neutral? My car has an electronic carb, does that make a difference?

Depends on what you're trying to achieve.

Coasting in gear uses less fuel than idling and coasting in neutral in a somewhat modern car because fuel injection is cut off when not applying pressure on the gas pedal when in gear. BUT it's also engine braking meaning it removes kinetic energy from the car movement so you should only do it when you plan to stop.

Coasting in neutral reduces your control over the car and seriously limits your ability to react to developing hazards.
You really shouldn't do it.

On a fuel-injected engine:
If you're coasting in gear and your engine is *above* idle rpm, the engine should use zero or near zero fuel. You will lose speed faster than being in neutral.
If you're coasting in gear and your engine is *below* idle rpm, the fuel injector thinks the engine is stalling and will pump a lot of fuel into the engine. You will lose speed slightly slower than being in neutral, but waste fuel since the engine is in a very inefficient rpm range.

>My car has an electronic carb, does that make a difference?
Yes; an old mechanical carburetor will always use fuel as long as the engine is rotating.

In road tractors this is called a "Georgia overdrive" and will burn your transmission up.

>he uses the brakes
>he doesn't simply achieve the optimal speed to coast to a halt in neutral at the next stop
Enjoy destroying your brakes

>electronic carb
Single point injection is trash

>$30 brake pads that takes no time to replace

why and when do you coast?

it's not bad for your car but it's a sign of a bad driver and a bad habit
not in control of your transmission = not in control of your car

This and only this.

Coasting in neutral is bad for the soul.

When anticipating a red light/stop/slow down and when going downhill.
Saves gas and wear on the engine by not engine braking.

Depends on the transmission.