/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to the Sonic The Hedgehog General. Here we talk all about Sonic's stuff! Share art and music, discuss about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more.

/sthg/ #847 - Awoo edition.

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsSonic News<
Sonic Mania OST - Special Stage ("Dimension Heist")
youtube.com/watch?v=OLcblxrrE0Q

Many Details of Mania Revealed at SDCC: Animated Intro, Special Stages, Story, etc.
www.tssznews.com/2017/07/22/sdcc-2017-special-stage-in-sonic-mania-revealed-story-details/

IDW and SEGA Enter Publishing Deal; Will Be Speaking to Fan-Favorite and New Creators
twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/888538195045998592
twitter.com/IDWPublishing/status/888536084472352770

Sonic Forces "Enter Infinite" Trailer & Theme of Infinite
youtube.com/watch?v=Mn6uqp_mr98
youtube.com/watch?v=XKjOJuPjiu4

Archie Sonic Officially Cancelled; Not the End of Sonic in Comics
twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/887809496898088960

>General Interest Links

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/tssznews/status/891509184814043137
youtube.com/watch?v=CvERHiTfx9w
youtube.com/watch?v=zFR_Vyq1OQ0
youtube.com/watch?v=2T0uIXLpQbQ
strawpoll.me/13563230/r
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Reminder /sthg/

I can't wait for another week of 3x daily threads complaining nonstop about the freedom fighters

Buddy is cute.

BREAKING NEWS.

IDW will be a hard reboot.

twitter.com/tssznews/status/891509184814043137

Fucking this. This news does not bode well for this general.

Remember when we were shouting REBOOT at the end of Sonic x Megaman crossover? This will be like that. I'm ready for this new brave world.

You've gone too far motherfucker.

Hard Reboot doesn't mean they're gone.
SaTAM != Archie.

That being said though, they're more than confirmed to be gone at this point. I'm gonna miss them, but they don't stand a chance at this point.

Thats okay Sonic likes it hard.

Buddy is so cute. I want to hurt him.

Not really news, tbqh. They would've been dumb to miss out on a new issue 1. What this means for who's gonna be in it remains to be seen.

>INB4 500+ posts arguing about the Freedom Fighters

Seriously, how the fuck is a wolf able to wear human glasses?

THE FREEDOM FIGHTERS ARE DEAD

CELEBRATION TIME
youtube.com/watch?v=CvERHiTfx9w

Probably going to be the same world just with less things and people around.

TIME TO WHIP OUT THOSE BINGO CARDS

Buddy is love.

Why can't Sonic crawl?

As long as they bring Satam back I could care less about a hard reboot, I just want NICOLE back god damn it.

I am very confused.

youtube.com/watch?v=zFR_Vyq1OQ0
he's too cool for that

I liked the nu-Archie world, but what can I do?
youtube.com/watch?v=2T0uIXLpQbQ

I'm down.

So we can all this show is mediocre at best and vastly overrated?

How can Sonic wear headphones that's not even close to his ears? You just learn to not think about these things

but he can in Unleashed

Well, shit.

I get the feeling this will be a very short lived comic.

Reminder that the cartoon characters are owned by Sega 100% with absolutely zero legal ambiguity, therefore it's possible that some incarnation of the cartoon characters will show up, even if they're not the same as they were in the Archie eras.

I'm not talking about just the Freedom Fighters either, but other characters like Breezie, the 6S, Von Schlemmer and so on.

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes. And other science facts, Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax.

Post best stage/boss

I'm okay with a hard reboot. That said, it better be 100% what SEGA wants and they better actually treat it well.

what if the ears on the top of his head are fake and his real ears are tiny holes on the side of his head?

Why? IDW can make its own OCs and stuff to fill in the blanks.

SEGA, aside from the relatively new president, is composed of retards, though. Why would you care what they want?

That illustration came out so well. I love it.

That's good, since this will lower the chances of Penders whipping again, but also bad (or good to some people), because that may or may not means FFs will be gone, and this only depends on SEGA's decision.

Well, I hope Rotor is alright, again.

Aside for the Freedom Fighters, Naugus to an extent, Snively and Uncle Chuck who else from the cartoons do people even care about?

Personally I wouldn't mind bringing in some Sonic Underground characters like Manik and Sonia but not relating them to Sonic.

Because the last time SEGA just let the people working on a Sonic comic do whatever they want, we ended up with the Penders era?

That's not true actually. Sega owns the trademarks to DiC characters, and Archie's original contract gave them the rights to the DiC characters, so it was a legal loophole that allowed them to stay in the reboot. IDW doesn't have that luxury.

Why would someone give a shit about new OCs? Specially just after so many years of lore and characters got thrown out.

For the same reason people liked the old OCs.
You guys are really overestimating the importance of the FF.

Same way people gave a shit about the ones introduced in the post-reboot comics: Give them a good design & nice characterization.

Sonic's not a hedgehog at all. He's a bird. He's fooled all of us.

Remember when the first reboot did that?

strawpoll.me/13563230/r

>yfw ken penders 2.0 happens

Tails x Cream -VS- Shadow x Cream

"Background" doesn't sound like the right term. I vote for demoting them to recurring side characters if that's what that's supposed to mean.

Nah. The confluence of Penders' autism, Archie's incompetence and SEGA's indolence are once in a lifetime events.

never underestimate the power of autism, user

Doubtful.

Penders 2.0 only happened because Archie's editorial department being completely incompetent. Nobody was keeping an eye on the fucking thing.

>MUH AUTISM!

Fuck off

A Pendering is easy to avoid, have a clear contract saying the donut steels are owned by SEGA and don't lose the originals.

*Penders 1.0

The situation is a bit different, don't you think? Not just because of the context but because (presumably) this is starting from scratch, so it's not just introducing a couple of new characters for a story line while the main characters and the world is already established.

Still, this is all in the mindset of the old comic and maybe the new one will be completely different and all the reasoning we might come up with may be completely off, so who knows.

*teleports behind you*

same user, dude
though i don't really know the story behind penders' rise
and tbqh i wanna keep it that way

*Unzips microwave*

Welp. Time to not give a shit about the new games. Used/Gray market sales from here on out.

Yes, entirely.

Jim Cummings' Robotnik and whoever the Snively is are the best part.

Oh and Kath Soucie's voice ofc

And have a department that keeps the fucking writers in check

>I want to explore Knuckle's homosexuality in this issue
>I want you to explore your fucking asshole after I ram this fucking stapler up your ass and ask you how much you liked being turned into a homo out of nowhere

What? Why?

I'm going to get a job drawing for IDW and then sue them until they give up on making comics and theres nothing you can do to stop me.

Good, that means Iizuka is in control like he was in Sonic Boom.

It's called "an editor".

>inb4 someone says "the old OCs sucked"
Clove is n i c e

Literally the best thing IDW can do is make the comic "Sonic: The Brave And The Bold." Keeps Sonic as the principal character, bunch of fun action-adventure stories, rotating secondary characters gives everyone a share of the spotlight, including allowing for obscure characters from earlier games and secondary media like the cartoons.

Why, out of all things, did you go for shoving a stapler up someones asshole, user?

Penders please.

>being turned into a homo out of nowhere
>Knuckles has never clearly shown his sexuality in any media whatsoever
Why is this general full of homophobes? I swear these are the same people who hate the new Spider-Man movie for changing Flash's race.

Literally the best thing IDW can do is continue where they left off with the same creative crew.

I like your idea. And the Brave and the Bold was the best.

Not with Iizuka involved.

So Julie Su just never happened?

And the editor's a leftist

There is literally nothing wrong with Knuckles being gay.

Why would I support a series that does nothing but spit on the aspects of it I love.

It was just an example

They said they'll be bringing back fan favorite creators, so that's probably the case.

>post yfw one of those fan favorite creators is Ken Penders

Julie-Su was not canon.

I can deal with this.

More or less this.

>Julie-Su
Who? You're gonna have to refresh my memory on who that is user, because I don't remember a Julie-Su existing in the Sonic comics.

The editor is also a professional with a job who needs to answer not just to his bosses but also to the company that owns the characters they're licensing.

Some people here are FF fans not Sonic. Just like Smash Bros are Smash Bros fans not Nintendo ones.

I liked some of the old OCs.

>Knuckles has never clearly shown his sexuality in any media whatsoever
You never said she had to be, aside from that, Sonic X has Rouge and Knuckles interacting in more than just friendly ways.

Yeah, this isn't Marvel or DC, where they own all their characters. They have to get approval from SEGA before they do anything with their characters. And seeing as how SEGA's said "the comic version of the game characters can't have any differences from their game counterpart," this is a retarded complaint.

Not that user. Also, Knuckles never clearly defined himself as straight even if he was with Julie-Su. He could've easily been bi. And unless Sega wants to shoot themselves in the foot as far as progressivism goes, they wouldn't object to such a thing. (except for the obvious "no official characters can be in relationships" mandate)

Like, I'm not that guy, but either you are too innocent or you have lived under a rock for the past few years and haven't heard of the shenanigans some companies pull. What you say is all neat and rational but things don't necessarily work that way.

Making a character bi is the most cop out bullshit that can be done with already shown to be straight character. Any character can be bi regardless of how clearly they define themselves as straight. Good thing Sega wouldn't bother doing anything like that with the game character.

are we really doing this

Lurk more. Or, preferably, leave.

>"Hey, we're making Knuckles gay."
>"lol no you're not, we're taking Sonic somewhere else"
You're full of shit. And that's not including your implication that a person being mildly progressive means they're going to turn their livelihood into retardation.

Do you forget the "SEGA characters can't be in a relationship, nor can they have any differences from their game counterpart" mandates?

I can't believe we're honestly having this fucking discussion, when the mandates SEGA has had on their characters have been known for years.

>unsourced tweet
For fuck's sake. Either say something definitive or shut the fuck up.

I would be okay with this. I just really don't want direct game adaptations. if they do make a game adaptation make it focus on everyone that wasn't playable or in every other cutscene.

Conquering storm was cool and all but i don't know why the reboot had to give her the robot eyes.

I assume you are referring to Marvel and DC shit where they are allowed to fuck up their properties however they want or maybe even some comic on a licensed Western property in which case the original creator doesn't give a fuck how someone fucks up their character so long as it's progressive. Sonic is Japanese and they won't let that shit fly.

>Make a joke going to an extreme
>People are now seriously going into a discussion over Knuckles sexuality

Can't do anything with you faggots

I am sad that the Freedom Fighters are almost certainly going to be axed but I believe in the fine staff at IDW and have faith they will produce a fantastic comic!

sonic the hedgehog is serious business