/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (Speccy screenshot), operating system, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE:
>Where do I get games
OR
>Where do I get games
OR
>Where do I get games
OR
>Where do I get games
OR
>Where do I get games
OR
>What is the best emulator for...

Check out the wiki for the emulator you're using if you run into trouble, there may be a solution there too, often including recommendations for optimal game settings.

Remember to submit bug reports or shit won't get fixed.

Other urls found in this thread:

dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/08/31/dolphin-progress-report-august-2014/#40-2626-fix-hardware-depth-matrix-shaders-by-kscorp
youtube.com/watch?v=ltmJYr_h144
github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/5843
board.zsnes.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=208364#p208364
dolphin-emu.org/blog/2017/07/30/ubershaders/
reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/6qgace/dolphin_ubershaders_a_ridiculous_solution_to_an/dkxogtw/
github.com/gonetz/GLideN64/commit/3b9f16e8ddce81be8121ce0a29d743807b6d7a41
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ebin clipping

name (1)one good game I could play right now on an emulator

>beetle and standalone mednafen don't launch/play my games even though beetle used to

epic.

Jackie Chan!

Pokémon Emerald

>Popularized by a fork, asynchronous shader compilation is a creative solution to the shader compilation dilemma
>One of the things users wondered was why Dolphin didn't at least implement Tino's asynchronous shaders as an option to fight shader compilation stuttering. In the end, it just came down to the fact that the people who could have implemented it along with other core developers were against it as a solution. They saw it as nothing more than a hack that would cause a lot of false positives on the issue tracker

It was an issue of things being drawn in the wrong order because of depth calculation being wrong, not really clipping
dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/08/31/dolphin-progress-report-august-2014/#40-2626-fix-hardware-depth-matrix-shaders-by-kscorp

>stubborn dolphin devs willingly provide a worse experience for users
Nothing new here.

battletoads

Small Soldiers (PS1)

11th for Drakengard 3 runs better on PC than on PS3 now
youtube.com/watch?v=ltmJYr_h144

Should I use the mGBA standalone for 3DS or the Retroarch core? Also how well do GBA games run on an Old 3DS?

GBA games run perfectly if you do VC injects. The 3DS has the GBA's hardware inside of it.

I wasn't aware of Virtual Console Injects, can you link me a guide or tell me how to use them please?

SP must pay for his crimes.

He must return the PS4 and TV.

Fuck Retroarch. Shitty fucking program.

Drakengard 3 had atrocious frame drops on PS3.

This so much!

Reddit loves retroarch and exclamation marks so I can't tell whose side you're actually on.

This so much!

>I hate good things

lol ok

I can tell you are not on 4chans side we hate periods here

It kills emulators

>posting misinformation from 2 years ago on Reddit

lmao

JMC isn't the first dev I've seen make that claim on reddit so it's probably true.

>misinformation

Source?

Did anyone get to see the discussion here before it was all deleted?
github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/5843

How much drama was on byuu's old sekrit forum?

board.zsnes.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=208364#p208364

Sorry about that I just closed the tab a couple hour ago, none of the cache or archive seem to have anything either.

He later admitted he didn't know what he was talking about.

It's not like he posted any source to begin with other than some vague "rumors", which no rational person takes at face value. He probably got it Delroth, who is biased anyway.

dolphin-emu.org/blog/2017/07/30/ubershaders/
>Cemu's methods are bad because of 'reasons'
>Ishiruuka is bad because we don't like the dev
>Here's our shitty over-engineered ubershaders. You better like it.

Gotta love how D3D performs the best with their ubershaders, yet they dropped D3D12..

I never understood why some folks are so in love with Dolphin. I enjoy PCSX2 far more.

What i don't get is there is a "fanbase" for a fucking emulator.

No one's in love with it, there's no viable alternative to emulate Gamecube and Wii.
If a better emulator were to become available for those two systems, most people would jump to it in a heartbeat.

that's not what it said but k
>Here's our shitty over-engineered ubershaders. You better like it.
What I don't get is why there's exclusive ubershaders. If you can compile them what's the point of continuing to interpret them?

It didn't happen for systems where the only alternative was pure garbage, what makes you think anything could sink Dolphin?

>that's not what it said but k
reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/6qgace/dolphin_ubershaders_a_ridiculous_solution_to_an/dkxogtw/
>Some developers really don't like ishiiruka
Whatever. There's still no reason for them to hate on it so much.

>But I'm just gonna complain about it in /emugen/ without giving any details so people could be able to help me because I rather stay mad
Kys.

>D3D12
You are free to do maintenance and provide builds with it.

>not complaining so as to piss off retards on Veeky Forums
nys

I don't understand how the "option" of him learning how to program over the course of many years and then finally reaching a level of competency required to maintain a feature of a program he's criticizing invalidates his criticism?

>some games need objects to be rendered on the frame they expect it to be. In this case, the Mii heads are only rendered once to the Embedded Framebuffer. If the EFB copy is missing because of Async Shader Compilation, the Mii heads will not show up for the remainder of the game or until they're regenerated.

He can pay someone to do do it.

Have you seen the dolphin patreon? They're already getting paid to do it.

>dolphin patreon
There isn't one. They already get more than enough money just from ads.

Holy shit at least rip the damn thing.

>Trying to make other people mad instead of doing something productive
Fucking kys.

Looks like he succeeded in making you mad.

We cant talk about windows arcade games and NesicaXlive cracks here right?

How can I download singular ROMs from the No-Intro Collection rather than full sets?

Add / to the end of the url

website/romset.zip/

thanks!

>You are free to do maintenance and provide builds with it.
I would, if I cared enough about Dolphin. I'd rather just play on my hacked Wii. I just think it's funny how people try to hate on D3D, pretending like the performance aint that great. Yet results always seem to prove D3D has good overall performance.

Seeing this post made me lose essentially what little remaining respect I had left for Dolphin. Seeing the same guy who broke PJ64 with useless Cpisspiss refactoring nitpick and discourage against legitimate optimisations is appalling. If I am to judge their code quality based on what I had witnessed in that github thread, I have confidence that I could do a much better job maintaining the code base and making the performance better.

Emulation in general is a huge mess. I just don't know why some people are so critical of most emulators, while overlooking Dolphin's flaws and acting like it's the greatest product ever made. Dolphin is just as bad, as most other emulators. I am very disappointed with their team after seeing that github thread. It's making me lose faith in open source emulation development.

Funny thing is that pull you referenced was just replaced with a newer version that removed the useless bullshit.

>D3D12
It's not about performance, which, with drivers, was always pretty OK.
It's another backend to maintenance, without additional benefits (GL - works on other systems and is a base for mobile ports, Vulkan - will work on everything important and mobile as GL successor). It's redundant. You want it in Dolphin? Work on it and stop bullshiting that you could do it better but mommy tells you not do it.

No piracy talk of any kind allowed, sorry.

alright

>no shadows
>gamma is too bright

Still, the framerate is less terrible than on hte actually console.

>no shadows
One of the most minor issues in emulation. Like in some PS2 JRPGs, shadows are missing but I didn't realize for YEARS.

>You want it in Dolphin? Work on it and stop bullshiting that you could do it better but mommy tells you not do it.
I'm not getting paid thousands of dollars monthly, unlike some of those Dolphin devs. I'm not losing any sleep over their retarded decisions/politics. I can always use Ishiiruka, which still has D3D12 support if I'm not mistaken. I could also merge any rejected PRs and compile that code if I wanted. I could also profile and easily optimize any bottlenecks that are due to their negligence/irrational preference towards "muh clean code".

It's funny seeing this common trend. Someone criticizes an emulator and others just them them to "fix it yourself". Meanwhile incompetent devs are getting paid lots of money and still do a poor job. Yet you expect people who aren't getting paid a dime to contribute to this awful mess of a code base.

>It's another backend to maintenance, without additional benefits
Is performance not an important consideration??

RA's UI is buggy as fuck though what the hell am I reading. Most of the options are completely redundant as well.

>No one's in love with it, there's no viable alternative to emulate Gamecube and Wii.
Idk. Maybe you're right and I've just merely encountered a vocal minority. I guess the fact that there's no viable alternative does play a big role.

ya.. i know right..

>Is performance not an important consideration??
The only performance difference is because DX12 was never completed, so it's not emulating everything.

Dolphin devs are not paid. And i'm sorry that you are poor.

Yeah if you just look at it it's pretty obvious it's too aliased to be 4k but it uses some weird tricks that make it so that part of the things on screen aren't aliased at all even at 1080p.

>Cemu's methods are bad because of 'reasons'
They're bad because you literally need an entire one-time shader cache that becomes invalid if you tinker too much.
It's bad because it causes bugs and replaces unfinished shaders with black textures.

ebin meme, m8.

>Dolphin devs are not paid. And i'm sorry that you are poor.
Some do make money.. WHat does being poor have to do with this? Janitorial work is not something I'd like to do on my spare time. Especially if it benefits these people who are getting paid to work on emulation. I'm not a cuck.

>They're bad because you literally need an entire one-time shader cache that becomes invalid if you tinker too much.
It's better than their current shader cache system where it invalidates if you merely update GPU drivers..

Not an argument.

How fast, accurate, and compatible will GLideN64 need to become before detractors accept it? It feels like the goalposts are constantly moving.

Once these criteria are met:
>It has no performance problems
>It has a compatibility level similar to the top N64 Graphics plugins
>[it is] the most advanced N64 graphics plugin

>>It has no performance problems
Define "no performance problems". What is the criteria for this?
>>It has a compatibility level similar to the top N64 Graphics plugins
It's already the second most compatible. It would be the third most compatible except Parallel is kinda janky.
>[it is] the most advanced N64 graphics plugin
What's the criteria for this?

>It feels like the goalposts are constantly moving
No. It's just that significant progress is slow. Going from slower than z64gl to closing the gap, is not a spectacular achievement.

haha wow. reminds me of people I know who personally donated and felt Gonetz did not deliver.

>Define "no performance problems".
Does that really need clarification? Some people can't run some games full speed. Which is unacceptable for a hack-fest HLE plugin.

Kind of sad that a gtx1060 even had performance problems with Public Release 2.0 and the fanboys kept insisting the problem was anything but the plugin itself :) .

>Some do make money
List please.

Basically it needs to be as accurate and compatible as angrylion, have all the features that all the other plugins have, and run fullspeed on lowend hardware.

>Going from slower than z64gl to closing the gap, is not a spectacular achievement.
z64gl is comprehensively shit, though? Why on earth would z64gl be the baseline for anything?
>Does that really need clarification?
Yes.
>Some people can't run some games full speed.
Which people?
>Which is unacceptable for a hack-fest HLE plugin.
Details, details.

>Basically it needs to be as accurate and compatible as angrylion
That's simply not possible. You're never ever, ever, ever, ever going to write a hardware renderer that can perfectly match a software renderer. The N64 is just too esoteric.
>have all the features that all the other plugins have
Such as?
>and run fullspeed on lowend hardware.
Define "low end hardware".

>What is the criteria for this?
IDK, go ask gonetz, that was copypasted from his indiegogo page.

How do I get SMS to run at 60fps in Dolphin. All the guides I find are from old versions where frame limit was an option

GLideN64 has hit pretty much all of those goals already, IMO.

>Performance is great. Some quirks, but great.
>It's the most "advanced" plugin by a huge margin.
>Its compatibility shits on everything except Angrylion's. We're literally weeks away from having accurate Rogue Squadron emulation on the damn thing. Parallel is a side case.

First it was "Pokemon Snap doesn't even work.".
Then it was "Body Harvest doesn't even work."
Then it was "Resident Evil 2 doesn't even work."
Then it was "Can't even run these games with undocumented ucodes."
Then it was "These OTHER N64 games with undocumented ucodes don't work as well on GLideN64 as they do on the hackfest that was Glide64."
Time and time again, GLideN64 has accomplished things that have never been accomplished before by an N64 emu hardware renderer. Rogue Squadron in HLE was a pipe dream. GLideN64 is making it a reality. That's impressive.

>Why on earth would z64gl be the baseline for anything?
If I was working on HLE and couldn't even beat that in performance, I would investigate that. I saw the youtube video of Star Wars Rogue Squadron in HLE and did not see any benefit from using HLE. Might as well use z64gl for that game it seems.

>Details, details.
For instance, he replaced legacy blender with some supposed acurate method. Yet it had regression(s) and he had to add hacks to fix one of them.

>Which people?
check github. i see multiple issues open about bad performance.

>How fast, accurate, and compatible will GLideN64 need to become before detractors accept it?
It doesn't help when you have arrogant contributors driving potential helpers away. Aside from that, it would be nice if Gonetz would cater to potential developers and address their concerns. In short term, it may seem inconvenient, but it could pay off in the long run if more devs decide to join in.

For instance zilmar is not pleased with the bloat and people have the audacity to essentially tell him to "fix it yourself".

>IMO
top kek. Well at least u added this disclaimer.

>Performance is great
relatively speaking, absolutely not. Good enough to run most games full speed on GOOD hardware? Probably, but that's honestly setting the bar low. When a gtx 1080 can't even run Goldeneye OCed at full speed, there's a problem.. IMO, low end hardware should be capable of running most N64 games at acceptable speed with acceptable accuracy levels.

>We're literally weeks away from having accurate Rogue Squadron emulation on the damn thing
doesn't LLE already work??

>That's simply not possible.
Then I guess he lied then.
>Define "low end hardware".
Minimum reqs on modern AAA games. Something like a haswell i3 and gtx 660.
>by an N64 emu hardware renderer.
>hardware
He probably should've specified that then. As far as his goals to make it the most advanced plugin, and as compatible as the best plugins, he hasn't done that. And definitely not in 3 months.

>I saw the youtube video of Star Wars Rogue Squadron in HLE and did not see any benefit from using HLE.
Faster. Wildly more accurate than the screaming shitfest that is z64gl. You've clearly never played Factor 5's games on z64gl for an extended period of time. Do you enjoy the HUD flickering? Do you enjoy terrain textures randomly vanishing? Do you enjoy geometry tearing?
>If I was working on HLE and couldn't even beat that in performance, I would investigate that.
z64gl is fast for certain titles because it uses optimizations that fuck with accurate depth compare emulation. It's fundamentally flawed.
>For instance, he replaced legacy blender with some supposed acurate method.
It's way more accurate, yes.
>Yet it had regression(s) and he had to add hacks to fix one of them.
You mean this?
github.com/gonetz/GLideN64/commit/3b9f16e8ddce81be8121ce0a29d743807b6d7a41
>The problem blender is used in two cycles mode, but both cycles are the same:
c_in*a_in + c_mem * 1ma
>I have no access to c_mem from shader. >Therefore, I use c_in instead of c_mem in the first cycle.
>Result of the second cycle will be blended with c_mem by GL blender, as usual.
>This is pretty good approximation, no problems noticed.

You're welcome to suggest a better solution. This is what happens when API limitations run headfirst into N64 architecture/programming quirks. It's a hack, but a general purpose one. For crying out loud, rendering on hardware is a big-ass hack.
>When a gtx 1080 can't even run Goldeneye OCed at full speed, there's a problem..
Citation needed.
>IMO, low end hardware should be capable of running most N64 games at acceptable speed with acceptable accuracy levels.
Define low end hardware.
>doesn't LLE already work??
No? Unless you count Angrylion's.
>Minimum reqs on modern AAA games. Something like a haswell i3 and gtx 660.
GLideN64 works fine on hardware like that.

>For crying out loud, rendering on hardware is a big-ass hack.
It's funny to see all the hackfest emulator shitlickers use this argument in the past couple months. It's an immediate tell that they know they're defending a hacky piece of shit.

How does the Neo Geo work?
I'm hoarding old games and I hit a snag with it. Is there a specialized ROM set or does it come with the rest of the arcade machines in the MAME pack?

It's a fundamental truth of hardware renderers. If you want complete accuracy to original hardware, you need to render in software. And even that has issues, since obviously Angrylion's has some inaccurate combiner behavior. It's not really complicated. Vulkan could help close the gap, but it'll likely never fully resolve the differences. I get the feeling a lot of the posters here have no understanding of how emulators work.

>haswell i3 and gtx 660
Wouldn't surprise me if that rig has performance problems with GLideN64.

> And definitely not in 3 months.
absolutely.. You know it's bad when multiple donors had buyer's remorse..

>Then I guess he lied then.
ya he bit more than he could chew..

>First it was "Pokemon Snap doesn't even work.".
>Then it was "Body Harvest doesn't even work."
both of these games still have issues, last time I checked.

>Then it was "Resident Evil 2 doesn't even work."

>Then it was "These OTHER N64 games with undocumented ucodes don't work as well on GLideN64 as they do on the hackfest that was Glide64."
S2DEX is documented m8. Pretty sad that it still has problems inherited from glN64, which is one of the worst graphics plugins.

>Faster.
I will have someone check soon :) . I will also see if the HLE is more accurate than GLideN64 LLE.. I mean if LLE is >= HLE in accuracy, then I see little point in using HLE if you can run LLE well above full speed..

>You've clearly never played Factor 5's games on z64gl for an extended period of time.
Been a long time since I used z64gl for that game. I didn't recall HUD flickering. Did all of these issues occur in Purplemarshmallow's fork?

>z64gl is fast for certain titles because it uses optimizations that fuck with accurate depth compare emulation.
I don't think it's just one thing man. GLideN64 is faster than glN64 (which is what it was based on), yet z64gl is certainly faster and more accurate than glN64.. I can understand GLideN64 in LLE being slower than z64gl because of removing the optimisation though.

>No? Unless you count Angrylion's.
I know GLideN64 LLE is hit or miss, but I remember it being better than z64gl for some games at least..

>Define low end hardware.
mid-tier 10 year old hardware. If you really insist on raising the requirements, the minimum should be nothing more than D3D11 (which is about 9 years old I think).

Don't respond to the LLE autist.
He craves attention.

GLideN64 can't even run Gauntlet in HLE.. All because stubborn devs drove contributors away :) .

>Vulkan could help close the gap
OpenGL has compute shaders dude.. So does D3D. Vulkan is not that special.

>It's a fundamental truth of hardware renderers.
And it's not a catchall excuse for hacky code.

>. I get the feeling a lot of the posters here have no understanding of how emulators work.

Doesn't make our bitching any less valid, forgot what place this is, faggot?

>Rogue Squadron in HLE was a pipe dream. GLideN64 is making it a reality. That's impressive.
You shouldn't glorify devs who have code written behind a paywall.. I'm 100% sure other people would have HLE'd it much sooner if they were getting paid that kind of money.

I mean come on, porting a few thousand lines of assembly is not a big deal.

>You're welcome to suggest a better solution.
I think y'all should drop the facade and embrace hacks. Go big or go home. This is ridiculous how they like to act like they do minimal hacks. Yet their HLE code isn't even perfectly accurate. Trying to go halfway, just doesn't make sense and it's obviously not working too well.

He won't even let you choose legacy blender on zilmar spec build, despite the fact that it might offer better performance and possibly work better for some games.. Gotta love the fact that their default settings are also inaccurate (asynchronous). Even SP says that's a hack.

asynchronous is set for performance at cost of few issue, you dumb tard.

kys you kike faggot jew.

Because I typed 3 letters of my keyboard?
Absolutely, I guess.

>I could also profile and easily optimize any bottlenecks that are due to their negligence/irrational preference towards "muh clean code".
So "the citra treatment" can be applied to other emulators too?
That's.. interesting.

Nice job missing the entire point.
>asynchronous is set for performance at cost of few issue, you dumb tard.
That's a bad idea if their true goal is "muh accuracy".