Is it worth driving halfway across the country to find the perfect vehicle?

Is it worth driving halfway across the country to find the perfect vehicle?

I found the same truck my grandfather used to drive and I really want to get it
>black 96 k1500 z71 extended cab standard bed with the 5.7

I’d be driving from California to Texas to be buying a 5k truck with close to 300k on the odometer. Is it worth? I don’t give a fuck how many miles it has.

Pictures and description as well as carfax show it’s never been in an accident, zero rust, perfect maintenance record, and a spotless interior and exterior.

What do?

next level autism. but it's your money so spend it however you want

Why would you drive there? You're just creating more hassle for yourself. Buy a one-way ticket and drive it home.

biiiingo

That's only a question you can answer for yourself. Is it worth it to you? Are you going to keep it? They're starting to rot away and clean examples won't be around forever. Get very good pictures and be certain about everything it needs.

You're going to spend about 500 on gas driving back btw.

I like it. The extended cab is a little too extended for my liking and then there's the whole ride hight thing but for the whole American truck thing I must say I like it

You could bring a friend and plan a road trip around it

Generally not no, here's why:
>fuel money outweighs possible savings
>you have a very limited bartering position because the seller knows you don't want to turn around and drive all the way back empty handed
>the seller might sell the car while you are in transit (know a few people this has happened to)

Better off remaining patient and waiting for a good deal to pop up near you.

But then if it’s something you really love your be really been waiting for, you won’t mind paying the asking price

Eh, I don't think I would go out quite that far without having actually bought the vehicle for 's reasons. I also wouldn't buy it on photos without sending an agent I trust to look at it either. These things always work out better when you're nearby on business or something anyway. On the other hand, you want what you want. I've done similar things like this before. Sometimes you win, and a lot of times you got tricked. You got any friends or relatives somewhat close to the seller who can go check it out for you?

Although sometimes, even if you're looking for a very specific thing you just have to wait a little longer and keep looking for it within a 250 mile radius. Even a slightly higher price would end up being the same value. Add the cost of travel to that one to its price and figure that into it. How long have you been actively hunting, OP? I had vehicle hunts last a year before I found them.

>trusting someone else's maintenance history to not fuck up on the road trip back home
Fly there, inspect it, then pony up the extra grand or so on a long distance tow service

>>the seller might sell the car while you are in transit (know a few people this has happened to)

this

That's pretty shitty.

Is that literally your granddads old truck? Or just one like it? If not I don't think it's worth it.

This is how I got my 79 ranger. It is the best option.

Holy shit, 5k for a k1500? I wouldn't drive more than 100 miles for one, and expect to pay half that much in immaculate condition with under 200k miles.

Make the drive to Oregon instead, or better yet Nor Cal where there's no emission testing. That's straight up dick-in-peanut-butter fucking nuts.

No, because you won't find the perfect 21 year old vehicle driving across the country. Your basing your decisions off of nostalgia, not reason. The shape of the truck won't matter when you see it as you already stated it has 300k and you don't care. The truck will have wear and issues but you won't notice that until its too late because your using feelings.
>women make decisions off of feelings, don't be a woman look how their shit turns out
>no old car or truck was as good as you remember
>buying cars because of nostalgia feels won't make your life better

I think that's highly dependent on the vehicle and it's popularity.

In all honesty with OPs truck it's not going to be a hot item other than to fellow rednecks or hicks. I can tell you with certainty they're not going to travel across country to buy a truck.

OP, here's what I've done. Get the seller to take pics of the all of the problem areas and then ask if they're willing to get it checked out at a dealership. It'll cost you about a $100 for a full point inspection but then you'll know immediately if the juice is worth the squeeze.

If it's worth it, ask if the seller will take a small deposit to keep it 'on hold' till you arrive. By offering a deposit you're showing that you're serious about buying the truck.

I've done this with 4 different vehicles. For my personal, my girls car, and a few friends.

I won't lie and say I haven't ran into trouble this way. Majority of sellers will oblige your requests. The moment they start pushing back is the moment you walk away. I've had a few who were dodgy about the process. Other than an hours' of their time they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

If the seller does not want to go through with the inspection then there's a damning issue and it's not worth it.

Be smart, and BE PATIENT!

I love these trucks but I wouldnt do it. 300k is a shit load of miles. The truck can't have a spotless anything that is original. I think you would know it is worth it if it actually is worth it.

I don’t think 90s chevys are so rare to warrant such a long trip for a clapped out Chivy. Keep looking a bit closer, you’ll find one with less miles that might just need a paint job. I would travel that far for something more rare but at the end of the day it’s up to you whether it’s worth the trip or not. I would expect to break down over such a long journey though. Carry tools.

No.
I have a white 95 extended cab k1500 4x4 6.5 turbo diesel on 35's. I love a Chevy but they aren't that damn special. Pic is before paint