First snow of the season is tomorrow

First snow of the season is tomorrow.

Good luck fellow eastern NCans.

Other urls found in this thread:

wral.com/-oh-my-gosh-raleigh-woman-s-snow-photo-goes-viral/13390109/
youtube.com/watch?v=Zg8Iec-uG_c
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You're just getting snow now? I figured everybody due for snow would have gotten it during the recent cold snap already.

pardon?

no it's just been cold and dry as shit.

Snow is rare here. It'll snow once or twice at most every winter. And when it does snow people lose their fucking minds, and lotsa Veeky Forums-related carnage starts happening.

You know what's ridiculous is even in places that get snow regularly the first snow especially always has idiots out sliding into ditches, driving down the middle of the road, and generally causing the same havoc that happens every year. I blame globalism.

But setting cars on fire is next-level. Keep up the good work :D

It already snowed in NC before winter even started. There's no call for snow in my neck of the state.

>snow
God I love being in the South. Fuck paying for new tires just to deal with killer white shit.

Be careful guys. We might joke around with winter tire memes and moms in SUVs, but you never know when you're suddenly gonna encounter that one fucktard of a semi driver

It's usually the chads in their camaros and mustangs who aren't used to RWD in the snow. Just an observation.

You don't really need snow tires unless you're dealing with serious winter day in and day out. A decent M+S rated all season and knowing how to not be an idiot is fine most of the time.

I'm running RWD with all seasons for the first time this year to give it a shot and it's pretty dang doable so far.

Car caught fire on its own as a group of people were trying to push it up the hill. All the cars below pulled off to the side of the road after their failed attempts at getting up the hill.

lol
cars dont catch on fire on their own

Vancouver?

I live in Central IL and the first snow we got, people were driving idiotically. In that I mean, "Too safe".

15mph under the speed limit. Braking at green lights. Hitting turns at 5mph and so forth.

I'm all for driving safely the right way, and I can't complain if someone is going the speed limit, but the roads were clear. It was just white from salt. And I drive a Firebird in this shit.

I hate idiots.

Woah there speed demon. Slow down mang.

But how do snow tires fare in the summer? Is it just ride comfort that suffers?

I'd rather be prepared for the worst.

They wear really fast in summer temps.

They're loud, they wear down fast, and they're squirmy because the rubber is at too high a temperature. Waste of a snow tire to drive it in the summer.

ride comfort + noisy + can throw out your alignment, definitely not worth it to leave them on

Damn bros. Welp. I'll be slippan and slidan tomorrow.

Piedmont NC is best NC

Keep it shiny side up and it's awwwwwright.

Brake early, slow for corners, never assume anyone else will turn or stop at places they are supposed to.

Wtf are you talking about it snowed here like last month

And look at where you want the car to go, not a the tree or the guard rail or whatever you seem to be sliding helplessly into.

Has it really not snowed there yet? Im just across the border in south Va it has snowed twice aleady

The inner banks is literally the best.
Equal access to the beach if you want, or the mountains if you want.

And it doesn't take an hour and 1000 tourists to get there.

The western part of the state is usually always covered in snow during the winter.

Depends, in the foothills we usually only get snow once or twice a year that lasts a couple days. If you drive 40 minutes north it stays snowy in the winter tho.

> Fucktard semi driver
> Be in sudden snow storm last weekend
> Very sudden heavy snow, poor visibility
> Take exit, merge onto new highway
> Oil/gas water truck up ahead, can see from the glow everywhere in front of him that he's somehow found eBay LEDs that fit his truck's headlights
> Pass him because he's rolling at 10 in a 55
> Did he just flash his lights off?
> Yep, did it again
> And again, but slower
> What's he doing? What does he want?
> Lights flash off again
> And the left one doesn't come back on
> Now they're both out
> They don't come back on
> At all

I can imagine the horror of no longer having working lights during a whiteout, but he deserves it for running that blinding shit.

ehehehe

Beaches are for normies, rivers, lakes, and mountains are for true patricians. I live in montgomery county the furthest South in the Piedmont. Its great if you arent a city cuck and enjoy the country and we even have our own little national Forrest

>Rally wheels
>Gravel tires
>True mechanical AWD
>1200 kg total weight

Bring it the fuck on.

white pickup truck? this must be NC my family over there says thats all anyone drives.

Jesus fuck, how fucking hektik must one be getting for their fucking car to catch in fire IN SUB ZERO TEMPERATURES?

“People were trying to push it, and the wheels were spinning. Then, smoke started to come from the hood. At first, you’re thinking, 'Well, that car’s not going anywhere.' But then the hood lit up, and it was no time before that car was on fire,” she added.
wral.com/-oh-my-gosh-raleigh-woman-s-snow-photo-goes-viral/13390109/

>It was just white from salt
What? Just how much salt do they spray on the roads over there?

Maine here.

We've gotten about 4 storms so far (3 - 10 inches each). Shits a pain in the ass sometimes but it's just a way of life

>get stuck on icy road
>let's WOT for at least half an hour until the engine sets itself on fire, that'll help

Nother illicuck here
LITERALLY ALL OF IT
The road crews are a menace, rip my pickup doors

lel they don't even use salt here, its just too much fucking snow and too cold, the second hand market is amazing

Kek the thought of all normies driving rwd in winter. Everybody here has big awd/4wd crossovers and SUVs

>she

More like all the normies driving summer tires or worthless allseasons because "it only snows here once a year, I'll be fine".

One of the most dangerous things I've ever seen was some woman on like the day after Christmas one year after we got a good dose of White Christmas and somebody needed to go get eggs for breakfast. She was in a Jeep and obviously had the axles locked because every time she tried to turn or correct it for pointing in the wrong direction it was like a fidgit spinner.

I'll never understand how she didn't manage to hit every car parked on the side of the road.

Lol I remember this year. 2014? North Raleigh was a war zone

people were doing that in WNC a couple days ago when freezing rain rolled through. Everyone starts slowing down to 10 mph on the fucking highway.

You have more directional control the faster your wheels are spinning, to a point. 30 mph is safer than 10 in ice. If you go too slow you will just slide right off the road crown and you won't be able to steer.

jersey here. it snowed three times already and twice before winter even started. albeit they were baby snows though nothing major. we're getting more tomorrow.

jerseyfag here. the roads are stained white from december through march as well. it doesn't even have to snow often and the salt just doesn't go away. just serves to remind you to never buy a used vehicle from a state that drops below freezing in the winter

>chads in their camaros
not sure where you are but all the camaros in my neck of the woods are driven my boomers in a midlife crisis

You know what rattles my mind to this day is I found a 4 year old car in CT that was perfectly clean as though the owner had kept it in a garage anytime it was anything other than sunny and nice out, but it had snow tires on it.

Was he a wizard?

Just moved from the triad to Raleigh/Cary already have almost died due to the bad drivers here. Can't wait for snow

probably weathercoated and running one of those electromagnetic anti-rust things on top of all that.

Well it's all covered in salt now. It hurt the first time I so much as drove it in the rain. Such is life in the zone.

The Triad has worse drivers than Raleigh, they just don't set speed limits over 35mph there.

Raleigh drivers are fucking terrible though, switching lanes suddenly and without signals, can't drive at the speed limit with traffic around them. I supposed the roads aren't marked the best either, so it's probably mostly people new to the area who can't read a GPS driving like a nutso.

I lived in the Triad for a long time too, the speed limits just aren't fast enough for bad drivers to get themselves into trouble, and there aren't nearly as many people.

They recently added traffic circles to Cary I'd say about 50% of the time if I'm in one with someone they don't know how to use it. Also people on 40 in the triad are pretty crazy with speed in comparison to the triangle. I use to just follow traffic near Greensboro/Burlington but now I'm the fastest on the road on 40 near RDU

Oh fuck, I forgot all the bumpkins on 40 near Greensboro during rush hour, that's a nightmare.

Yeah, no one in Raleigh can drive in traffic at speed, so it's always doing 30mph under the speed limit at rush hour. I'm not a fan, but I also work from home so I don't have to deal with it.

The beltline in Raleigh is fun as fuck when there's no traffic. When I was going to NC State a 2am run around the beltline as fast as I could go was something to look forward to on the weekends.

Got a bigsss speeding ticket only one time, which is amazing considering how often I did this.

>inb4 you treequinox it

You sound like the exact people who lose control on a straight section of 4 lane highway in snow...

Mud/gravel tires are NOT snow tires, they don't in snow/ice.

It's better to have normies with rwd that know it's dangerous on slippery road, than fucktards with awd/4wd crossovers and SUVs that don't need winter tires or drive safely because they have awd/4wd crossovers and SUVs.

>rwd
>manual
It's supposed to flurry and get icy where I live in florida and I've never seen snow my entire life. what do? it must already be a little icy because my tires were already breaking loose barely gassing it in 3rd going under 30 mph in I4 traffic

They canceled school for today and now my job says they're shutting down right at 5, meaning I get 2hrs unpaid leave. Shit sux.
It probably won't even do anything. Went to the grocery store on my lunch break and all thr fucking bread on thr bread aisle is gone. I hate winter

>first snow
>"Too safe"

Makes sense. People have to get their snow sense back at the beginning of the season. Better to do that slowly than upside-down.

its starting boys

Heh, literally saw it start as I was taking out the trash.

I just slipped on the steps on my front porch 10 minutes ago. It's covered in ice.

This shit is happening. There is no way I'm driving in this shit.

Just took a walk, heard some plastic hitting each other lol. I'm by crossroads in Cary.

Ayyy, I'm by Crabtree, roads have a light dusting and school's already closed tomorrow.

Didn't realize there were so many triangle fags on Veeky Forums,

>450 horsepower
>450 torque
>rear wheel drive
>4 inches of snow on the ground
>-10 outside
>still on summer tires
i didnt think it be like they say but it do
shit sucks man

at least you got an lsd

>2010
>looks straight out of a VHS

NC is the GOAT southern state. Not too hicky, not too liberal. Fairly reasonable automotive regs too.

This, we even already had "snow" twice in Austin already, when he hadn't had any for seven years.

put your hands down boys you look dumb as fuck

and gimme some chips

You are like little baby.

just dealt with freezing rain in Western NC with an Miata. The trick is to keep your car in a low gear (3rd maximum) for maximum engine response and not drive too slowly. 25-30 mph is perfect for straights.

One thing people forget is that to maintain control on ice you need your wheels to have enough rotational inertia to keep moving forward. If you slow down too much the road crown will make you slide off the shoulder and your wheels will just slip when you try and accelerate or turn. Maintain a constant speed of 25-30 and slow way down for turns. Turn in early and prepare to give it power. Do not brake and turn at the same time. If you have an LSD the car will want to rotate as soon as you lift off the gas, so never coast, always keep some tiny amount of power going to the wheels.

once you get the hang of it it is very easy and fun to drive in snow and ice. The lack of grip keeps you moving slower but you can easily kick the tail out and power through a corner, especially in fresh snow.

>RWD
>hill with snow on it coming up
>stupid fucking crossover parked at the top of the hill waiting for some shit
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sounds like the beginning of OP's pic.

That's why I said "snow", lol. That was the worst it got, wish I could have actually driven in snow piled up on the ground, but the roads were too warm for it to not melt immediately.

Not to mention Tail of the Dragon and other great roads.

>RWD
>ok even if they plowed this road is still wouldn't matter
>I CAN DO THIS
>I will shovel this car out and it will be good
>rrrrrrRRRRRRRR *wheels spin* *car knocks into the curb*
>fug my neighbors are looking at me
>my feet hurt
>this music is too loud
>i want to go go home

Window tinting is what, 35%? Not dark at all.

the mountains are full of gorgeous roads, the BRP is the gateway to driving heaven. There's a nice road thorough the Smoky Mountain park around Cataloochee that is gravel on the NC side and perfectly smooth fresh blacktop on the Tennessee side.
you don't need tint because it doesn't get very hot for more than a few days at a time in the summer. It can get uncomfortably warm but not for more than a day. The mountains help block a lot of sun.

this the area around the smoky mountains is insanely fun to drive, theres some backroads near the charlotte area that are all gravel and feels like a rally track

I highly recommend a trip to Cataloochee, there are tons of lightly-traveled, well-graded gravel access roads throughout the park.
I went on a camping trip out there once and spent most of my time getting fucking hektik on the the dirt roads. The day I was suppose to leave they decided to grade the entire trail to the campsite and it was fresh upturned dirt the whole way, there are so many good corners to skid though there really needs to be an official rally through the park. The roads are wide and very consistent, it's an excellent place to learn the technical aspect of low-grip driving.

i know someone who has a cabin near that area if im ever there with a car i dont mind skidding in i'll def try it out

even I got snow today!

t. tallahasseean

Cool. There are plenty of switchbacks so I recommend a FWD or AWD car and lots of handbrake. I did several runs in a Suzuki SX4 SB and it was absolutely incredible. Not a whole lot of traffic but I would recommend against attacking blind corners just in case. Park rangers are scarce and are not watching traffic so you can go as fast as you dare. Also federal tickets do not incur points on your license.

Reminder that americans can't into snow

youtube.com/watch?v=Zg8Iec-uG_c

My stanced civic gets around fine in snow

> have to borrow brothers honda pilot cause i dont trust my civic in snow

boutta just sell my civic for a pilot or something bigger, fuck sedans in the snow.

>wants to get something heavier
>mass is your enemy on slippery road
>doesn't let his balls drop and learn how to drive
>?????
>winter tires

dudes are you seriously discussing how to drive when the fucking rain is frozen?

git gud i do 90-120mph on highways and 60 in towns, rwd auto 300-hp car with dedicated winter tires

oh winter tires, how they're such a big scam.

You do realize that gravel tires are not for winter, right? They may have serious-looking treads, but they still harden in low temperatures like any other summer tire.