Friendly reminder that the Tesla model 3 is the only car worth getting from now on

Friendly reminder that the Tesla model 3 is the only car worth getting from now on.
Literally cannot go wrong with a fully electric car for ~35k with gigantic government incentives
>inb4 muh manuold transmission and loudly farting gas engine XD

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ylh0QyfmaYc
youtube.com/watch?v=YdUaM_w6-Dg
ir.tesla.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1053245
youtube.com/watch?v=_KEN-cxmGw8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Roadster tho

Not yet it isn't.

Post this when they're actually available. They won't be open market for quite a while yet.

>only car worth getting
>can't get one

you're trying too hard. This thread will be nothing but memes and shitposting. I would be happy to discuss the model 3 but this thread isn't the place.

gotta wait for the quarterly report. The drone footage of the factory doesn't lie — they've really increased the production rate.

I frequently drive from Southern California to Northern Oregon (~980 mi) in under a day. Can I do that in a Model 3? If so, I'll go out and put a fucking deposit down today.

>~35k with gigantic government incentives

Yeah you may want to read the fine print there bud. Even at $35k if the thing ever gets made... You'd have to be retarded to spend that much to save $2k a year on gas.

inb4 muh oil changes. Spend $20k on a new shitbox and you have to take it in for an oil change every 10k miles, That's about it for maintenance. Tesla's still have gearboxes with fluid that needs to be changed periodically.

I'm hoping so. I'm eager to get my hands on one, but the wait lists are still fucking atrocious.

Hopefully with the ramp-up they'll hammer through the pre-orders and some of us normal ass motherfuckers might get a chance to pick one up.

>220 mile range
>7 and a half hour charge time

I appreciate your guys's efforts to turn a bait thread into something nice but we all know the inevitable here. Better not to respond.

we're already discussing, let's keep it rolling.

this seems to be faster/just as fast as a similarly priced kia stinger / type r. what is the reason to not get one other than the charge time?

Teslas are like iphones, just wait a few years for a cheaper better alternative, otherwise you'd have to wait for the model 3 anyway

I sat in one the other day. it seems to be a nice enough car. interior is at least mazda quality.

assuming you get the LR model 3, you would need to stop at a supercharger 6 times. You could do it in 4 stops, but then the time to top off all the way to 100% could be better used to drive. In Teslas it's super quick to charge to 85%; the rest takes longer.

Not an impossible trip though. Plenty of superchargers. My brother recently went from LA to eastern Colorado in an X. Was only driving 5% of the time, the rest was with autopilot. Super relaxing according to him

typically, the recommended Tesla service intervals are not needed. The gearbox fluid change is super rare to actually need to do.

might as well put in the deposit now. if you live near CA you'll have priority once they finish the current Tesla owners reservations. It's fully refundable

with a regular L2 charger. DCFC and superchargers do it in much less. 150+kw charging is coming soon, too

The curse of the Osborne II exists everywhere, unfortunately. That is a fair point

off the top of my head:
-medium amounts of storage space.
-will have to use the suction type of roof racks; it doesn't have mount points for them
-impossible to tow without potential drivetrain damage
nothing else really sticks out that isn't purely opinion (looks, UI)

>quickchargers in rural IL
>quickchargers period

So the cars are completely disposable right? I mean the batteries would be toast after about a year of quickcharging as far as I can tell

no, quite the opposite. While quick/supercharging does "wear" the battery more than normal, the life of the battery is still extremely long. In fact, to my knowledge there really isn't any practical upper limit to how long the batteries last.

More harmful than quickcharging is completely depleting the battery. But still, there are a multitude of built-in-protections for that sort of thing. While the battery itself is 80kwh (TM3 LR) only 75kwh is usable. This is common across all EVs. Plus, thermal management in teslas is excellent. In something like a leaf, you'll have higher battery degradation, simply because it's an air-cooled battery. Teslas are liquid cooled.

model 3 just set a new EV cannonball record. 50 hours, 16 min. Watching the map on the screen is mesmerizing

youtube.com/watch?v=Ylh0QyfmaYc

Wow gee only 29 hours behind a used mercedes!

the more electrical a car is the less it ages
and that means it will be obsolete when the next one comes out
iphones on wheels
if anything I'd rather convert an old car to EV if Merkek is that much bothered by ICE

>when your electric cuck car is slower than a normie car putt putting at the speed limit

Fucking LOL

It keeps improving. Don't be so negative

Fifteen years ago if you said you could cross the whole US in fiddy hours in an EV you'd be crazy. The tech keeps advancing

the Osborn effect doesn't negate the usefulness of a current gen EV. Or regular ICE cars, for that matter. I'm sure the 2020 civic will be much better than the 2018 one. So why do people buy the current gen civic?

It's a borderline fallacy

the less it ages well*
or the more it ages I guess
have an ae92 as a post edit tax

Car's have gotten worse because of safety and emission standards. The Geo Metro is the highest MPG car you can buy, and it's 30 years old. Sure cars are "better" today if you think covering the whole windshield with your palm is cool.

most cars right now are super contemporary for some reason
Don't know if it's because of the culture or my tastes or something else but cars just "stay" in their years, technologicaly, visually and whatever else.

While some cars from the past, while not having the newest shitty touch screen or ultra safe emissions and mileage, wouldn't look out of place next to the new ones, and can even beat them in some regards because the newer a car is the more cucked it is by safety and emission standards as this guy said Cars with simple tachometers and speedometers and buttons that are just functionally labeled are always going to be something the common populace will want.

99% of electric cars have this gay "quirkyyy xD" styling because "lol look at me I'm ev"

I don't have the electric drive, I hate the electric cars.

If you ask me they have gotten better. I would rather not die in a crash. And I like not having horrible, loud exhaust

It's an opinion. Not fact

If some epic slant-eyed emaciated cunt crashes through my dream car I'd rather die than have to repair it/get a new one/let it go.

It's an opinion. Not fact.

Great, you agree with me. It's an opinion. would you also agree that the majority of car owners would rather have a heavier, safer car than a lighter, more dangerous one? The world doesn't revolve around "enthusiasts".

There are many types of people on this godforsaken planet.

There are normies that want to "flex" and don't care about safety of their cars.
There are people that buy roadsters/convertibles/etc.
There are people who rather wouldn't have a car at all but they have one because hurr family/job/public transport.
And there are retarded soccer moms that would drive the biggest car they can get their hands on because they know they will eventually crash and they want to mitigate the most amount of damage from their shitty brats.

Friendly reminder that we know it's you Elon

and then you realize your battery died 2 year in and won't hold a charge?
>what of course we can replace it
>it's just 60% of the total vehicle cost

what about a brappping petrol engine

>assblasted gascucks and tesla shills ruin the reputation of EVs thread #3216247635

How many times do we have to have this thread

until you run out of juice, so about 15 mins

Fuck, posted a thumbnail

Range is a personal issue, chump.

I would rather have a KIA Rondo than that 4 wheels phone.

Their previous cars were much nicer and actually worth the price.
The model 3 isn't worth 35k+

Not even the best bEV under $40k

>Was only driving 5% of the time, the rest was with autopilot
wait this shit is real already?

>I'd rather die than have to repair it/get a new one/let it go.
That's something really pathetic to say even for this board standards.

>tfw Brazil could be leading this green bullshit revolution with biodiesel
>hurrrrrrrrr lets drill more oil wells
I hate this country so goddamn much.

and by your list 80% of drivers fall into soccer mom category. Sorry that the future is not you.

Lies. If i remember correctly there's at least 8 years warranty for batteries.

Can We stop having these threads

yeah. Autopilot is great on highways. You have to touch the wheel every five minutes or so, but other than that it's pretty hands-off.

nope

I'd say the opposite. With the 3 you get a more efficient car (better miles/kwh), a lighter car (1000lb), the latest gen Tesla PM motors, and a slew of small improvements (vanity mirrors, larger center console storage, better view out of the front, 2.5A usb in the front/rear)

Until the S refresh happens, the 3 is the better buy.

It's too ugly, the front end makes me feel sick. It's as if a washing machine manufacturer tried to design a plastic duck.

btw, i think i saw a video on youtube that used Telsa D costs same as new Model 3. I don't get why anyone waits to get 3 after a year, when D is already available and is better

I think it really depends on the angle

what? there is no Tesla model D

the 75kw/h long range pack is about $11,000. Which makes it less than a third of the cost of a car.

if it does die, which it won't, it will likely be in 20 years or something. And by then, replacement packs will be much cheaper.

Still - the idea that your battery will die is simple FUD. It doesn't happen

>inb4 in his own post

get the fuck out newfag

>no engine character
>differences in cars are only going to be acceleration numbers and chassis

luxury cars all use fake engine noises played through the speakers these days.

subaru went to equal length headers and got rid of the iconic rumble.

most other cars are not pleasing to hear. the others sound too boy racer.

and suspension, steering, weight distribution, acceleration curve...

This only cost me $5k more new. There is no way you can mental gymnastics yourself into that electric lawnmower being better than this.

I think he means the d models as in the ones with dual motors (front/rear) such as the P90D or P100D. The single motor ones don't have a D in their model name.

Whilst I'm not saying tech won't move on. We shouldn't just assume it will continue to advance at its current rate indefinitely.

the model 3 will be cheaper to operate by a significant amount. the model 3 will have better curb recognition.

While true, many people don’t buy teslas because they are cheaper to operate when looking 10 years down the line. They buy them because it’s a tesla.

The exception to this is Norway, EVs are cheaper there

how are Teslas in the winter?

pretty great. (for an EV)
youtube.com/watch?v=YdUaM_w6-Dg

There is a huge amount of data out there. Some people have calculators and such for your speed/temp/whatever.

Now that you can precondition the battery via the app, it's even better range-wise in the cold as well. Preconditioning heats up the battery before you actually start driving, to decrease the range losses and the performance hit. It's a pretty recent feature; I don't believe you can set a timer for it (yet)

mileage in kilometers?

>reddit spacing

Does your odometer measure in meters? English doesn't always have to make sense.

ir.tesla.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1053245
----
In Q4, Tesla delivered 29,870 vehicles, of which 15,200 were Model S, 13,120 were Model X, and 1,550 were Model 3. This was once again our all-time best quarter for combined Model S and X deliveries, representing a 27% increase over Q4 2016, and a 9% increase over Q3 2017, our previous best quarter.
In total, we exceeded our previously announced guidance by delivering 101,312 Model S and X vehicles in 2017. This was a 33% increase over 2016.
In addition to Q4 deliveries, about 2,520 Model S and X vehicles and 860 Model 3 vehicles were in transit to customers at the end of the quarter. These will be counted as deliveries in Q1 2018.
Q4 production totaled 24,565 vehicles, of which 2,425 were Model 3.
----
In the last seven working days of the quarter, we made 793 Model 3's, and in the last few days, we hit a production rate on each of our manufacturing lines that extrapolates to over 1,000 Model 3's per week. As a result of the significant growth in our production rate, we made as many Model 3's since December 9th as we did in the more than four months of Model 3 production up to that point.
-----
We intend to achieve the 5,000 per week milestone by the end of Q2.

Check the door seals
Worse fitment than GM

>this is all teslafags can find to complain about constantly

it's not even the door seal, it's the trim. Tesla hasn't perfected the adhesive they use for the trim pieces. After many hot/cold cycles it can expand/contract and move around. Thus why so many teslas seem to have wacky trim. Whoever is in charge of the adhesives there needs to get slapped around.

Of course, there are sometimes actual misaligned panels, mainly early S's and X's. The 3's seem to be super tight overall.

>t. I waste my time looking at videos of the production parking lot at Fremont

Clarkson likes Tesla now.

youtube.com/watch?v=_KEN-cxmGw8

only employee cars went out like that. cars going to normal customers are not. they have dozens if not over a hundred model 3s sitting in a lot awaiting fixing of their minor problems.

The trim is not held on by adhesives.

no, that's not exactly true. recent footage of the Fremont plant shows a few hundred 3's outside. They're making ~150 a day. 800 are in transit. All deliveries are going to current Tesla owners right now, the employee ones are done. There is really no difference between the employee and customer deliveries - it's the same production line. There are a bunch of examples of trim being off to the level of that Doug photo, but again it's an extremely small number

perhaps not the 3, but the S uses adhesives along with regular mechanic hooks and such

>but the S uses adhesives along with regular mechanic hooks and such
There's 1 patch of urethane under the aftmost part of the trim below the C pillar glass on the S (before 200k VIN, now that part snaps in with 4 clips), that's it. You have no idea what you are talking about.
>but I'm an expert I watch videos of the parking lot!

Thanks, I didn’t know that. It was a friend of a dude who worked there who told me that, guess it wasn’t entirely true

Do you do body work on teslas?

i mean for a comfy daily in its price range it's kind of hard to beat.
problem is, that minimalistic interior is really off putting to some and it's got some seriously vague handling

what does this change

>vague handing
According to who? Both automotive journalists and random blokes on YT with 300 views say that it’s pretty great handling. Even that one BMW professional driver said it was good

>it doesnt happen
kek
My fuel tank takes 3 mins to fill and it doesnt get smaller as the years go by

putting a > before my statement doesn't exactly help your argument.

Hello newfag

OR, just get the EV that's actually available now that still ticks all the same boxes...

It's not even bait at this point it's just obsessive shit posting. You really need to find something better to do, I know it's winter but come on man

there's a perfectly good word for this situation "distance"

>There is no way you can mental gymnastics yourself into that electric lawnmower being better than this.
Hmmm
>Average looking car with an outdated combustion engine, produces emissions, very little in the way of technology and modern features
vs
>Excellent looking car that doesn't produce emissions, is faster from 0 to 100 than most supercars, don't have to pay for gas, don't look like an old person living in the past, does cool shit like light up like a christmas tree while playing music, and won't stop you from getting laid
I know what I'd rather have.

>worshipping gigantic corporations
Oh look, a corporate bootlicker.

Pigfat, can't turn

>BUT ITS JUST A TOOL user, A TO B
A to B is taking uber. If I own a car I want to be able to actually fucking enjoy it. A track day is $150, a speeding ticket for being a straight line racing faggot from stoplight to stoplight, well, 15 over starts at well over $200, and then you have the eventual loss of license thing, and the insurance hikes
>YEAH BUT YOU CAN RACE A TESLA
Take it to the strip and you'll be limping home with a fucked battery. Racing isn't easy on ICEs either but they can take a lot more of it.

>Can't wait to get a car that's significantly worse for the environment then my gas sipping one.
Serously, huge geographic regions will be charging these things with either gas or coal plants that have lost most of the original energy in transport to you making them less efficient then just having a gas engine. Not to mention how much waste making the li-ons produces. It's amazing to me that people think these are more green.

Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong.

>In 2009, 30.8 billion barrels of oil were produced. Converted into energy, this corresponds to over 6,800 nuclear power stations (for comparison, about 440 of these are operating today), or seven million giant wind turbines, or 30,000 square kilometers of solar panels. And this is just the year 2009! Imagine how it will be in the future, with the prospect of exponential population growth. Needless to say, realizing that number of nuclear power stations (not very fashionable since Chernobyl and Fukushima, either), wind turbines, solar panels is likely to take time and cost a lot... and there is no indication that enough uranium or rare-earth metals even exist to make them in any case (San Giorgio, 2013)