Parents agree to contribute $1000-2000 for my first car (I am 22 years old)

>Parents agree to contribute $1000-2000 for my first car (I am 22 years old)
>Keep insisting the car be at least $4000-6000 because they believe that any car cheaper than that will cause constant problems
>My income is only about $2000/mo total after tax

So learn how to save money or buy a shitty car for 1000 bucks and learn how to fix it. Stop wasting space

>tfw parents helping out $1.9k of your $4.3k BMW
I'm selling about $1k worth of stuff in the future and can't decide whether to save the money for M/R or gift them $500 each

>22
>1st car
Same age and I'm already on my 3rd.

That's enough income to buy a cheap car. And your parents are right.

>spending more money means less problems!
your parents are completely retarded

>minimum wage job in teens
>family says won't take me to driving test until have money saved for insurance
>not going to happen
>family passes down old car to goad me on
>still demands save up a full year of insurance
>explain the retarded impossibility of this
>family look at me like what the fuck is wrong with me
>burden all of them by them having to pick me up for family gatherings
>dgaf
>don't drive until 25
>mom asks what took so long
>shrug

I'm not sure whether they were more retarded or me since I actually enjoyed biking and walking everywhere since it kept me in shape.

Give me good arguments so I can explain to them

a year of insurance is like $400

I think it was more since I was anew driver and was making really shit money. I'm honestly glad I blew what money I had on a social life because those years were the last I enjoyed being around people so at least I have the memories.

$2k/month and need parents to help you buy a car?

Go finance a fucking car ffs. You can get a 2-3 year old Caddy for $350/month.

You should stop totaling so many cars Wong Lee.

You should sue your parents OP

It literally doesn't matter. You'd be better off getting a lifestyle vehicle that that holds value better. Like used wrangler in the 15k range and paying like 200/month for it. Than buying a literal piece of shit from an under 10k lot. My god.

>22
>First car

Nigga I went out and bought a $500 shitbox Corolla the day I got my restricted (16.5ish)

Mines like 200 a month on a Yaris. Guess male 25 and two reckless by speeds will do it

1st was a POS with retarded PO that did a bunch of stupid shit so I sold it. 2nd was rear ended by some spic that had an accent so strong I couldn't underatand a word he said.

>being too poor to afford a ecotec cavalier

Not the op but I'm making about the same, gotta remember that insurance/gas are also a thing.

That's dumb as hell. Spending 20% of your income merely on financing a car?

So what, total cost like 40% of income going to just your car??

Tell me more.

Bruh Im 24, make less, pay rent, AND have a new car. Got a Fiesta ST, $218/mo. Not fuckin hard dude my insurance is like $650/6 months which sucks but fuck it I can pay that shit.

Its my 4th car, but the previous were old as fuck. To be fair my parents helped me a bit on my first car so I wouldn’t be a carless loser.

If OP is living at home, which i suspect, then there is no reason not to take advantage of the situation. Also, if you figure say $100 in gas and another $100 for insurance then that would be only a little more than one check for OP. 25% not 40%. Which is completely reasonable.

I take advantage by saving and investing as much of my income as possible though. You literally will never make it in life if you don't save at least $1k a month.

So... You live with your parents, work full time and can't afford a vehicle for $2000-4000?

When I was 22, my family had no vehicle at all. They contributed $0 to my first vehicle ($6000) and I had to pay for driving lessons (waste of money). When I picked up my first car, I was dropped off by my boss, and forced to drive the car home without having driven a car by myself before.

Go fuck yourself you spoiled retarded bitch

>Parents are contributing a total months worth of pay to YOUR first car
>Crying about it
Holy shit.

I bought a v8, 4wd explorer for 2500 bucks. With high mileage cars little things will break all the time... that's just how it is. Make sure you pick a car with a reliable drivetrain though. I had to immediately put in ignition coils ~$50 (ebay), replaced some assorted broken shit on the interior ~$50 (rockauto), a total of 3 window motors/actuators ~$130 (ebay and Orielly's) and i replaced my torn up seat with a nice one from a junkyard ~$50. All that alone if I had not done myself is probably at least a thousand bucks at a service center. Learn to turn wrenches and accept that old vehicles are old and tired. Keeping them running is the reason why a lot of people want to keep a newer car.

>"my income is 2k/ a month waaaaah"

My income is $1500 a month and I own a house, two motorcycles, and three cars.

How fucking bad are you with using money properly? Uncle sam gives you these green tickets that grant you a little bit of freedom from your daily slave life and you can't figure out how to attain that freedom? Are you eating organic non-GMO fair trade avocados for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

Honestly just kill urself my guy. Having a parent buy a car for u is mad gay dog.

Get a job you bum

holy fuck, you just need $1k more for a $3k civic. From there, you can modify and maintain it, simple!

the average monthly payment on a house where I live is more than you make in a month and I live in a shithole. where the fuck do you live? Africa?

Literally buy a decommissioned police crown vic

Explain your living situation op. Do you live with your parents? If so save the fuck up and buy a 6k car outright.

I make ~1400 a month, and pay rent, internet, phone, insurance, gas, food, electric, house gas and water, and have a pretty modified acura integra, bought for 2k, 6k after that into it, not counting expensive af tires.

Idk what the fuck your doing with 2k a month unless you're living way outside of reasonable means proportionate to your income, but not owning a car even though you want one is downright shameful with an income like that

Yes I live with my parents.
My expenses are gym, some food, any medication I need, cellphone bill.

I'm trying to build wealth so I'm saving and investing as much of my money as possible.

Family bought me a 10k salvage sports car when I was 18

They should have never bought it, once they bought it and fixed it up. They wanted to sell it and make a profit, I started crying at 18 ad begged them to not sell it. I fell in love with the car

A big mistake I made, kept the same car into my 30s...

God your fucking shameful, move out, you make enough money, quit being a leech.

And buy a fucking car if you want one, you've got all the money in the world right now, save up a few grand over a few months and buy something nice that only needs a few visual mods for you to be happy with and call it fucking day

Lol I make fuck all for living alone. This is how people become poor.

Besides being in a better area for getting a nicer job there's no benefit for me moving out.

Go to your local car buying site, and show them a 3k Civic that has a full history and runs reliably, then find some high end car for wayyyy too cheap around 5-6k that has a bunch of problems as an example. If you're into anecdotal evidence, my first car cost 600 dollars went 12,000 miles from 200k and would still be running aside from some collision damage. I did spend about 3000 dollars over a couple of years, but that's still wayyyyyy cheaper than a car payment for something "reliable and cost-effective."

I'm 20 and on my 6th, and still have all but two
Get on my level

$650/6 months?!!??!
where the fuck do you live im 23own a focus st, and only pay $340/6 months

You can really get a car for this price.. is that leased or are you working toward owning it.

It's better to buy an older car with more miles that has had more things replaced than a a newer car with only marginally fewer miles but hasn't had anything replaced so you have to do it out of pocket. I bought a 3k civic and spent about 2k maintaining it over 3 years. You would still have to spend that 2k on repairs whether the car costs 3k or 6k.

you live in some backwater then. For my current living address most insurance companies(The ones that wouldn't refer me to another agency) were going to charge me 500$/mo
Even when I messed around with the actuaries the lowest I could get it was 480$/mo

The only thing that brought it to a reasonable price was changing the address to my dorm at college in a more rural area. But it was still ~250$/mo even for a base civic.

Just letting you people who don't live near a reputable city, that insurance isn't 40$/mo everywhere

im paying it off