Do car manufacturers buy their rival models, and take them apart, and inspect them, and see how each component is made...

Do car manufacturers buy their rival models, and take them apart, and inspect them, and see how each component is made, and how it compares to what they are making themselves?

And if so, where do they hide this type of operation, how undercover is this?

this is how it's done in china. their R&D departments stand for Receive and Duplicate

you seriously asking Veeky Forums this type of shit?
less than 10% of Veeky Forums is employed
90% of that 10% takes the bus to work at mcdicks or they are wendys chefs

Yes they do, I believe recently Mercedes used an app to rent some Tesla? (don't really remember)
And took it apart and put it back together

>Receive and Duplicate
kek

yes
Merc got caught doing it with a rental Tesla recently

Wrong
T. Employed car owner

It's only illegal if you replicate what you find. Simply tearing something apart and documenting how it works isn't.

yes. i work for aston martin and we literally have a half taken apart Ferrari 488 GTB in the garage right now

Everyone does it, for every mainstream car. They also set performance, NVH and ride quality benchmarks using the competition, to make sure their model 4 years from now will make sense on the market. They also beat the shit out of the cars to see how tough they are, and make theirs exactly as tough and no tougher.

It's pretty much all about finding a place in the market. None of the technologies in cars are new, and nobody is trying to make the best car possible. If they did, they would go bankrupt, see the yellow school bus company.

They sure as hell do, how do you think the 4age was born?

VVTLi, original character, do not steal!

Yes, of course they do. Honda bought a 911 GT3 and some McLaren for development of the NSX. Apparently, the Porsche guys snuck them a note saying "Good luck" or something when a Honda employee brought the 911 back for a service, and they found on the GPS data recorder that it had been doing a lot of laps on Honda's private test track.

Mercedes used Throughout to rent a Tesla Model X in southern Germany from a couple. They then tore it all the way apart, put it back together poorly, and got sued.

Reverse engineering is legal. You just can't be caught using somebody else's parents in one of your production vehicles, so you have to make workarounds for those parts.

What kinda car's that? Looks like an N13 pulsar m8

Ohh they real good cars they are. Just hooked me mums up with a custom backyard cold air intake system.

Just wait untill even buying the car upfront doesn't mean you own it. Just like propraitery software, manufacturers will only sell you a contract that allows you to use car in a way they spcifically intended. Any attempt to open the car and see how it works will result in a lawsuit.

>the thought process behind a trip poster

If I lived 1,000 years I couldn't figure out how to create this (a car)

>Honda bought a 911 GT3 and some McLaren for development of the NSX.
Funny how McLaren would later buy NSXs for their development.

Fuck it, I'll bite.
What was it derived from, user?

Yes, supposedly Honda did this with the Nsx they bought and tested a Porsche to dial in the dynamics they wanted the Nsx to have.