I’m not trying to start a manual vs automatic thread but I am feeling very sad about the lack of manual options in...

I’m not trying to start a manual vs automatic thread but I am feeling very sad about the lack of manual options in new cars now. Both cars I have owned so far have been manual and I don’t think I could ever make the switch to auto. I’m absolutely in love with pic related and would definitely make the purchase in a year or so if only it had a manual option alongside the DCT...What do? How do we stop even sports cars from killing manual?

Modern automatics are objectively better.

No they aren't.

At least it's a DCT not an auto

>How do we stop even sports cars from killing manual?
By buying them. Not in 3 years on the used market, I mean off the dealership lot.

Yeah they are. Modern automatics are faster and more economical than manuals.

manual is inferior to auto

Modern automatics are objectively better if and only if the car is being driven by a professional racing driver. Regular people can't even use half of the potential that modern automatics have.

>Watch these dumb niggers try to argue with objective facts

And manuals are at an even bigger disadvantage in the hands of regular people. Do you think the average Joe knows how to pick his gears for maximum economy? Do you think ANYONE can shift or react faster than a computer?
Not to mention automatics have more gears than manuals now, which allows the engine to stay in its optimum RPM range more often, be that for efficiency or for speed.

Auto is better. Now sperg more.

>Dumb nigger trying to argue with objective facts

Pottery

Racism outside of /b/ is against the rules.

post will trigger them

Less fun though

>Completely avoiding the fact that I'm objectively right

"Fun" is a meaningless buzzword.

>I'm right because I said so in my post

Let me iterate that i don’t believe manual to be superior to automatics, I’m just saying that my preference is manual because I find it more enjoyable and I am sad because these new, properly insane sports cars are doing away with a manual option. I currently own an MK7 GTI which can come with both a 6 speed manual and the DSG trans. The DSG is insanely good; easily the best “automatic” trans I have ever driven and noticeably quicker than the 6spd version. Nonetheless I chose the manual because I enjoy that experience more. So why couldn’t the new TT RS do the same as it’s platform buddy GTI?

For benchracing purposes. DCT is faster and those cars are all about their numbers.
Want fun? Get an M2, Mustang or Camaro.

I hate driving automatics and the only time I will ever go back is when I'm an old man that probably shouldn't be driving in the first place.

Manual will always be better. I don't care about economy (otherwise I'd drive some boring slow car), and the fractions of a second difference between manual and new fancy autos is insignificant. Putting a good driver in a manual and a normal driver in an auto is more than enough to make the manual car faster.

Also, driving automatic cars is boring as fuck, you might as well have a NES controller to drive your car.

Thinking fun is a buzzword is why you aren't really into cars in the first place.

> (You)
>"Fun" is a meaningless buzzword.

Like... what? So you only have sex for reproduction and tell your gf fun is just a meaningless buzzword right?

>So why couldn’t the new TT RS do the same as it’s platform buddy GTI?

I thought the new TT RS had its own platform, that's probably why they didn't crate over a manual option

Nah, it's still an MQB car, shares drivetrains with the Golf/A3 and even more with the Beetle.

>DCT not an auto
DCT is an auto

That isn't true either. Which is more fun: 1976 Chevette with a 4-speed or 2018 Camaro with auto? Which would you rather take to the track?

I think its just a trend that Audi is following if that's the case, most luxury brands are scrapping manuals altogether. The only one that I can recall that offers a bespoke manual option is BMW.

>Get an M2,
Literally my dream car, Hoping to get one in 2020

I have a four speed manual. I wouldn't mind an automatic actually. although I'd rather have an old fashioned slush box than a modern automatic where the clutch and shifting is controlled by an ECU. Every "manumatic" I've been in has been really jerky

most manumatics are just "old fashioned slushboxes" or cvts. dct is still relatively rare.

Idk, a lot of euroboxes are manual gearboxes with a normal clutch actuated by a servo. instead of the smooth boaty but wasteful feeling of a slushbox it feels like a learner driver is driving you around.

>Drive for a bit
>Feel clutch go in for a second
>Changes gear
>Jerk as it's let back out again

Don't know how common it is in America in new cars though. There is no comparison with DCT.

True if car has enormous power like 500hp, which is wasted if youre using manual. No man is faster than computer yet. But since every car on the road has around 150hp picking auto is worth only if driving in huge traffic jams

>Don't know how common it is in America
never even heard of it

Aside from buyers not wanting to eat the depreciation or car enthusiasts just being poor, I think it's also a problem with other features of new cars. Manual is all about being more in control of the vehicle and having a more pure driving experience, however, plenty of other features of new cars limit that experience such as traction control, drive by wire, and electronic power steering. Some cars even play artificial engine noise through the speakers. I don't know about everyone else, but I would gladly sacrifice the higher speeds of newer cars for an older car that doesn't have all the electronics. I would also get better visibility. Other car enthusiasts might share the same idea and would rather go for an older car over a new car, so new cars with manual transmissions go away.

yeah and subjectively worse

Sports cars are all about going fast.
Modern automatics can shift faster than even the most skilled manual driver on the planet.
Modern automatics can revmatch and pick gears better than any human.
Modern automatics have 8, 9, even 10 speeds, whereas most manuals don't even have six.

The days of the manual's superiority are long gone. Get with the times, gramps.

Blame
>modern 4-6+ speed torque converter autos
>6+ DCT's got good
Manuals are just for feels now which is fine and i say this as a manual fag

Too many other factors there like suspension, differentials, not to mention power. If you want to argue for a specific point it is best to control for variables for the sake of a fair and objective argument.
And, if the Chevette had proper suspension, diffs etc. I would easily rather have the manual Chevette than the Auto Camaro.

Why would you want a worse transmission? No one uses T-Heads anymore because they're shit. It's time to get rid of manual.

>Sports car are all about going fast.
Except they're not. They are for having a "sporty" driving experience. Typically, this is done for the purpose of having fun. Because of this, it does not matter if an automatic has 0.4 seconds faster shift rate if you cannot have the fun in the car that you desire.

If you can't have fun in a car it's the driver's fault, not the car. Being slow isn't sporty so manual isn't sporty.

Every auto ive driven, even dcts just rev the engine way more than i would in the manual version, and in the real world i even get worse mpg.
Having more gears, longer gears and changing them really fast just makes for a better theoretical mpg, not real life

"If you can't have fun in a car it's the driver's fault, not the car"
The only two arguments you could really make here are that A) "You can have fun in any car" In which case I would agree with you, but would you not be far more capable of having fun with a fun car than with a non fun car?
Or option B) which is that it has nothing to do with the car and therefore nothing to do with the transmission in that car.

What if i tell you that the next model will be even faster?
Why bother trying that hard for that extra millisecond?
Having a manual gearbox is all about the feeling, and if you get used to it, you will miss it.

if they gave this thing a manual + power steering I'd probably own one

what the fuck were they thinking

>Manual isnt sporty
>fast is sporty
So a diesel S class is sportier than a MX5?
Are you 10? Or just american?

>has manual steering for more driver feel
>no manual transmission option

italians confirmed for mentally handicapped

The other variables are exactly the poiint, dipshit..

>wanting power steering

lmao soy boys

>not trying to start manual vs automatic thread

starts manual vs automatic thread

Well which one is faster?