Why do drag cars have steering wheels if they're just going in a straight line?

why do drag cars have steering wheels if they're just going in a straight line?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7atc89HM5M0
youtube.com/watch?v=HHCC89QaDAM
youtube.com/watch?v=1pgm8I0B8bY
youtube.com/watch?v=JiE7zp6DCaY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It doesn't go straight

>why do planes need wings to fly if rockets dont need wings to fly
that is how you sound OP

Because they're not fucking trains,You still have to steer.

that's because planes don't try to fly in a straight line and they have to account for wind and things.

drag cars might as well be on rails
whats the point otherwise

> designing a car that can't apply torque to two wheels evenly

lmao

Pretty much every drag car has a spool, which means perfect torque to each wheel as they are both locked to eachother

>Not accounting for surface inconveniences
Lel

>tfw no nitrous guzzling 7 second doorslammer

youtube.com/watch?v=7atc89HM5M0

>drag cars might as well be on rails
But they aren't

Why do drag cars try to nose up and wheelie when rolling friction would be reduced by having more wheels on the ground?

Why do drag cars not have stabilizing fins to keep them from going left or right?

Why do drag cars not have CVTs or some other automatic or at least automated transmission to ensure constant optimal power delivery?

Why do drag cars not put their engines in the back for better traction on the rear wheels?

Why do drag cars not have traction control, since lost to wheels spinning is greater than the power lost by simply not trying to apply that much torque in the first place?

Why do drag cars entertain people when rally and F1 are so much more fun to watch?

I think he means that because of the nature of drag racing being a straight-line point-to-point race generally held on smooth dry and hopefully well maintained tarmac, they should be designed more like trains than planes.

Trains are literally on rails, cars aren't, wind will blow a car off of a straight line just like it would a plane, and a car won't always accelerate straight unless the traction is perfectly even between the two tires

i guess america just has dirty tracks

exactly, why do they have turnable front wheels if they just do wheelies

Why do drag cars have two tires? Why not just have one really wide tire?

That's called a motorcycle genius

Why aren't cars motorcycles?

This isn't always equal in every way. Tires can have flaws in them that don't grip evenly, along with uneven acceleration caused by weight, wind, shifts in bending metal parts. All sorts of places

Why do normies think drag racing is easy?
it's not.
it takes balls the size of watermelons.

Even of both tires lose traction at the exact same time the car is still going to kick out to the left or the right requiring steering correction.

>Why do drag cars try to nose up and wheelie when rolling friction would be reduced by having more wheels on the ground?
because more wheels on the ground = more rolling friction, wheelies aren't intended, just cool as fuck and its better for the car to be in its most efficient form (on the ground regardless of rolling friction) Rolling friction doesn't even fucking matter in this case, the wheels are so sticky that its a fucking biproduct of having such amazing tires.

>Why do drag cars not have stabilizing fins to keep them from going left or right?
So they don't go left or right?

>Why do drag cars not have CVTs or some other automatic or at least automated transmission to ensure constant optimal power delivery?
They do have an automatic gear box, CVT's wouldn't be able to handle the torque

>Why do drag cars not put their engines in the back for better traction on the rear wheels?
Because they get better efficiency where its at, also some drag cars DO have them in the back

>Why do drag cars not have traction control, since lost to wheels spinning is greater than the power lost by simply not trying to apply that much torque in the first place?
Because their wheels are so fucking sticky they don't need it

>Why do drag cars entertain people when rally and F1 are so much more fun to watch?
Why are you such a fag

Some cars are motorcycles

it's hard to carry stuff on a motorcycle without rekking your back with a duffel bag or ruining the handling with saddlebags
my right shoulder still hurts or goes numb a lot of the time just from bicycling everywhere with a heavy messenger bag, i do not envy those madmen who ride actual motorcycles at speed wearing giant packs

>going fast in a wide open salt flat with literally nothing around you to crash into takes balls
speed can be spooky after a point but come on, it's probably the safest motor""""sport"""" there is

>Why are you such a fag
people hurt me in my life

weight transfer

not moving fast enough at start for aero

power loss

formula regulations

formula regulations

'murica

any other questions?

What?
youtube.com/watch?v=HHCC89QaDAM

>They do have an automatic gear box,
wtf i thought all the skill from drag racing came from hitting your shifts properly and doing them as quickly as possible

literally what is the skill in drag racing then?

>their wheels are so fucking sticky
apparently not if they still burn rubber and do burnouts and shit

this takes "americans can't drive" to a whole new level

he had like 5 seconds to start correcting before going over the line and those front wheels arent moving at all

the front wheels aren't touching the ground for those 5 seconds.
you are a special kind of idiot aren't you?

>wtf i thought all the skill from drag racing came from hitting your shifts properly and doing them as quickly as possible
Certain drag events and classes do, others don't. The big 10000hp funny cars have automatic gear boxes because automatics are faster at shifting and the car is almost always at the same RPM throughout its acceleration constantly shifting up to get maximum peak HP for maximum peak acceleration.

>what is the skill in drag racing
timing your start. The difference one hundredth of a second starting response takes is huge when you get down to your quarter mile times.

Theres tons of engineering prowess involved too. Many teams and companies invest millions of dollars just to squeeze every ounce of power out of those engines, stripping as much as it can to save weight, getting the best times, the best speed, the best everything. These cars are so super engineered nothing else can compare. F1 is the same way, cars are extremely over engineered for maximum efficiency

>they still burn rubber
yea because of mass hysteresis and friction, they aren't losing traction, the rubber is undergoing so much fucking stress. Also traction control is banned.

It's equal torque to the wheels, not equal grip to each tire, fucking comprehend better lmao

whats the point of front wheels when they dont touch the ground

Fuck off retard, equal torque doesn't magically mean all other forces are symmetrical and somehow you don't need a steering wheel.

To save your car the moment they do, did you fail to watch the video?

hes the same retard who thinks the steering wheel isn't needed

at least one of them is, he's not even trying, and that's still an issue of

>the absolute STATE of americans
he's already lost that one, at the very least he should have braked to try to save the run to nose the car downward slightly to get traction on the front, and the car itself would benefit from not being a heaping pile of junk that's 9 feet off the ground and has a suspension made out of a mixture of jello and hamburgers

are you fucking retarded?
I never said they did, in fract, I said they dont, the first fucking post in the thread

it doesn't go straight because you're too gay to drive

Not an argument

> america is literally fascinated with launching from a stop light without crashing

isn't this basically what they all do on their morning commute? why is it so interesting?

because its fucking american. its loud, fast and fun as fuck

because you're a faggot

americans literally have underdeveloped brains

racing on a track is much more fun and interesting

>Literally nothing to crash into
>You can't crash into the air

That heap of junk is still quicker and faster than any production vehicle in a straight line and it's street legal. If you ever get your licence and drive a car you'd understand what driving on bike tires up front and balloons in the back feels like.

>Why do drag cars try to nose up and wheelie when rolling friction would be reduced by having more wheels on the ground?
They don't keep them up the whole way, they also have wheelie bars to limit how far up they go. The initial wheelie is to use weight transfer for more traction and lessen drivetrain shock.
>Why do drag cars not have stabilizing fins to keep them from going left or right?
Because they have the front wheels to do that job.
>Why do drag cars not have CVTs or some other automatic or at least automated transmission to ensure constant optimal power delivery?
The most popular drag racing transmission in the street legal world is the 2-speed automatic Powerglide, equipped with a high stall tor>Why do drag cars try to nose up and wheelie when rolling friction would be reduced by having more wheels on the ground?
They don't keep them up the whole way, they also have wheelie bars to limit how far up they go. The initial wheelie is to use weight transfer for more traction and lessen drivetrain shock.
Because they have the front wheels to do that job.
The most popular drag racing transmission in the street legal world is the 2-speed automatic Powerglide, equipped with a high stall torque converter. The shift point is electronically controlled and based on various factors the mechanic can program for an optimal shift point. Top fuel is direct drive with a clutch.
>Why do drag cars not put their engines in the back for better traction on the rear wheels?
Top Fuel does.
1/2

americans are incapable

>That heap of junk is still quicker and faster than any production vehicle in a straight line and it's street legal.
too bad streets have corners

Fucking phone formatting god damnit.
>Why do drag cars not have traction control, since lost to wheels spinning is greater than the power lost by simply not trying to apply that much torque in the first place?
The fastest accelerating wheelspeed is 110% ground speed or something like that. Also drag slicks are grippy as fuck, they don't need it, they just hook to within that 10% or so and go. Nothing electronic would react fast enough compared to just simple, wide, sticky rubber.
>Why do drag cars entertain people when rally and F1 are so much more fun to watch?
I don't know why it's popular on TV, but NHRA Top Fuel stuff is a sight to behold in person. You can hear them at idle from extremely far away. When revving before a pass, they literally pull the air out of the crowd's lungs, and in the blink of an eye they've shot away by 500+ feet. It's not my cup of tea but I respect the unique engineering concerns of trying to do 1000 ft in the shortest time possible with zero other concerns.

>Because they have the front wheels to do that job.
But the front wheels never touch the ground anyway, and especially not during the initial launch where the most corrections would have to be made

>driving out for several hours in your low power and regulated cuck truck to stand around, listen to "brbrbrbrbrbrbr" for a few minutes, then sit down and see a car not go by at all because it was too fast, then drive home for several hours in your ponderous cuck truck
that sounds like a shitty day desu

Uh, have you watched any drag racing? They most certainly do touch the ground, it's just sans the initial launch. On prepped surfaces, uneven launches are rare even with absurd torque twist, the rise of no-prep has led to the hairier launches you see on YouTube more and more often. If someone's car is super squirrelly they will most likely run a wheelie bar all the way on the ground to preserve their steering abilities.

But look at that youtube his wheels are clearly not on the ground and thats why he couldnt launch straight so why have them at all

>average drag driver
>drives straight at 200 mph
>cummy
>spins out at 0.000000001 mph

Have you ever driven a car? That's why

They run all day, engine service is super quick and there's lots of teams in the top fuel stuff. At any given point there will be cars making a pass or lining up pretty much, you can choose to sit in the stands the whole time or go look at the teardowns of a division not running at the moment. In under 20 minutes the cars are back together and ready to go again.

Drag cars dont try to nose up. Most of them have an assembly in the back that keeps them from going nose up.

Stabilizing fins do not work at low speeds

Find me a cvt that can withstand a bajillion hp

Some do, but it ruins the drag car aesthetic

Traction control systems suck ass, usually dont allow you to get the maximum amount of power to the road that the tires allow. Nevertheless, a tc system is never a substitute for a good driver

Yuh

If i remember correctly, some cars even have the ability to make slight steering adjustments with the wheelie bar

The Dart one? His front wheels never entirely leave the ground, he just has no weight on them for the initial acceleration bit. Bad launches happen to everyone, he's determined that they don't happen often with his setup and is willing to risk it for better weight transfer benefits.

his wheels clearly leave the ground said so

Well, what he said was wrong. They just had no weight on them and he had to ride out the momentum of the rear wheels accelerating the car before he got weight back on them and could steer.

If Americans are so incapable of track racing, then why do they have Sonoma, Laguna Seca, Watkins Glen, Lime Rock Park, Road America, Mid Ohio, Long Beach, etc.

Don't engage him you idiot.

You would know about that
My old boss has a 3000hp car, he was on Street Outlaws, he's OK. I asked him that, and he said the skill is knowing when to put the power down, and how much. It's not just floor it when the light changes. The front axles are also offset like 1.5 or so inches.

all you people arguing over clear bait

technically, americans only do the launching part, they haven't learned to not crash yet

youtube.com/watch?v=1pgm8I0B8bY

>only country to go to the moon
>back2back world war champs

Lol, must be sad driving 1 litre 75hp shitboxes with fucked is teeth passing by all the “Asians” on the way to the pub. I would hate America too if my life sucked that much

Stop making the rest of us look bad and just cease /int/ shitfests please. You're only perpetuating the ignorant, rude American stereotype.

Is this going to turn into some jewtube video pissing competition?
youtube.com/watch?v=JiE7zp6DCaY