Whats the best truck out there that will last a long time and repairs/maintenance aren't too bad ?

Whats the best truck out there that will last a long time and repairs/maintenance aren't too bad ?

Taco and Ford without the ecoboost

Fuck. the Tacomas are so expensive when you think about it

GMT800, aka the first gen Chevy Silverado from 1999 to 2006. Frequently among the highest mileage listings on car trading websites. Half a million miles no rarity. One owner famously covered a million miles in his 2006 Chevy in six years on the original engine and transmission, only having replaced the injectors.

If you think the front end looks dumb there's also a GMC version that looks different, and the 2500/3500 models looked different from 1999 to 2002 and only adopted the 1500 front in 2003.

Unironically this...the parts are cheaper than dirt and they're everywhere. I have done ALL the maintainance (except alignments) for over 70k miles. Its currently at 210k miles and all the work on it is easily done with only a few specialty tools

The previous generation GMT600 aka last gen Chevy C/K is also very reliable.

Unironically the Ford 6.0 PSD, cheap on the used market and the best selling trucks in the country 2003-2007. ARP studs, head gaskets, coolant filter, egr delete, straight pipe and a tube, you’ve got a solid decently quick truck. The torqshift transmission is miles ahead the Dodge and Allison trans in the years the 6.0 was made, best in class hp and torque all 4 years of manufacture. Also, they sound like a jet at idle.

As is the Ford Super Duty aka F-250/F-350 which was produced for half an eternity between 1999 and 2016 with a couple of facelifts and new engines inbetween.

They're not worth it. It's like $35k for a base model with drum brakes and 260ish hp. That gets you a base model Silverado 4x4 V8 which will last as long as long as you take care of it and don't get a lemon.

Is the resale good if you're spending an extra 10 or 15k up front?

I've heard to stay away from the newer diesels on the Super Duty though, the 6.4 and 6.7 seem to have some issues and the 7.3 and 6.0 seem preferable.

Why do Tacomas hold their value so well and it seems like they're one of the most expensive trucks no matter the year

Is it the reliability meme or something else?

I think that's just because it's the truck equivalent of Subarus. Outdoorsy tax so to speak.

GMT 400 and 800 trucks aka 88-98 and 99 a 06 Silverado and c/k.

Most of them have over 200k on the odometer and it’s not rare to see one with half a million miles on them. Parts are dirt cheap and the engines are bullet proof unlike some of the same era ford motors.
>5.4 triton and the v10 that turns spark plugs into bullets
Only major issues I know of (and have on my truck) is the famed 5.3 Lifter tick/knock but is harmless. Just annoying. Usually only happens when the truck is cold.

Only major issue is the 4L60e transmission that doesn’t like too much weight when towing. If they do go, they’re dirt cheap to replace.

first and second gen Tundras

As a Ford Fan and Apprentice at a Ford Dealership, I would say the SIlverados.

The interior on Fords won't hold up. Its a ton of plastic thats all loose and will rattle. I was working on a brand new $90k F350 Platinum, hadn't even been sold. The start button would jiggle around, the interior trim popped out of place while I was looking at it, and the sheer amount of poor plastic. Its like early 2000s GM level of plastic.

The Ecoboost egines are great but obviously a turbo engine won't hold up long term. I feel like they have the best drive train out of all the vehicles, but the interior is just so shitty.

>SIlverados

Why the fuck is there so many of them sold used everywhere? You can pick up a silverado or some f150 anywhere

Is it worth picking up something affordable and used from someone else or buy the newer silverados?

Most Silverado's are used as work trucks while Tacos and Tundras are usually used to get groceries. Most are going to be used and abused unless you buy it off some old couple. I'd just lease a GM because their resale isn't the best.

>m-muh 'murican truck build tuff
>dem japs trucks are for pansies
sure thing Cletus

>live in SoCal
Literally all the work trucks I see here are domestic. You know, the ones hauling shit, towing shit, and getting abused. Mostly gm and ford. All the Japanese trucks are driven by surfer fags, soyboys, Daddy sponsored kids, or women.

First gen/2nd gen 12 valve 5 speed Cummins.

Or you could just buy a 7.3 Super Duty and not have to do any of the work you listed.

hilux

twingo truck
TT for short