Do you have a good relationship with your dad, Veeky Forums? Does he like cars?

Do you have a good relationship with your dad, Veeky Forums? Does he like cars?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/D_Vg4uyYwEk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah I had a good relationship with him.

Sorry for your loss user :(

My mentor and friend

I love my father, but he's almost 70, is in remission w/ leukemia, and is starting to lose it so he gets angry about little shit often. It's sad.

But no, he's not a car guy. The only thing he taught me to do was change my oil. He's broken several of my torque wrenches trying to use them as breaker bars on his tractor (which he has no idea how to work on lol).

He used to drag race and run booze in the 60s (his state was mostly dry then), and his first car was a new '65 GTO 4-sp so there must've been a time when he was a poser but he clearly never knew shit.

Oddly though, my mother used to be into good cars, though she never raced or anything. She bought (all new, all manual) a 1st-gen Celica, 280zx turbo, saab 900 turbo, audi tt 225, audi S4.

They were both usaf jet pilots in the 70s-00s.

>Pic related, my dad's got a '40 and a '43 Farmall H that I've spent plenty of time restoring.

It’s alright, it happened when I was a teenager so I’ve had some time to deal with it. Just want people to always appreciate the time they get to spend with their moms/dads because they won’t be around forever.

To answer the OP though I don’t think he was super into cars but I’m sure he liked them to some degree. I mean he had a 7 series and then an s classe but eventually bought a honda cr-v. He bought an mr2 for my half-sister though but she wrecked it like a retard.

>why do they slide through the corners
>don't know, dad
>they'll just end up going slower though the corner and wearing out their tyres.

He is a useful man. Ignorant to technology and doesn't want to know about it for the most part but he got me into bikes, sparked my interest in cars and is always willing to lend a hand.

Still a little mad that when I asked him to pick up my new (2nd hand) car, he was the first to get it to 200. That was my thing he took from me. MINE.

yes and yes; my dad is a corvette fanatic but he's started getting into german cars in his retirement years and we've done tons of projects together
it makes me sad that he's really overweight now and probably going to die a lot sooner than he should...

Dad's favorite car. Didn't know before. Glad I got back in touch with him.

I like them too user

He's who brought me into cars.
After driving/racing the poster child car from his "brand" (FWD) for a year I feel out-of-love with the car.
I went and purchased a different branded car with RWD and now anytime I try and chat with him about cars he essentially disregards me... The shite part is he also owns a RWD, but it's not that BRANDS RWD, it's another brand.

It sucks. I love this car.
But I'm getting guilted by it.
To the point of him belittling me for buying the wrong car...

He wanted me to finance his Model/Brand car. But I wanted a paid off car.
:/

Some people are just like that man.

well i work for him in a smash repair shop so i guess.

>implying thats your dad

dads are too old to know what discord is, letalone use it.

I don't have phone service, so I had him download it last time I saw him.

Yes and yes. He used to be a street racer and me and him work on projects together. We butt heads all the time because of our differing tastes though. He like 2 door muscle cars with the aggressive stance and no bullshit interior. I like 4 door sedans and wagons with big powerful V8s hidden under them and all the comfort i can possibly put in the interior

Yeah, we're both rotards. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

He got me started on cars from a young age and taught me the things I know that the internet couldn't. Only complaint (from him) is that he's getting older and can no longer drive stick due to not having enough legs. I always wanted to surprise him by saving up a ton of money and buying something he's either always wanted or had in his youth and loved but unfortunately I don't think that's gonna happen and it makes me feel like fucking shit.

I'm so damn jelous of you guys. I just moved out and I couldn't be happier to be away from my father. He is completely ignorant when it comes to cars, but he is the most competitive person I know. So, when I started getting REALLY interested in engines around the age of 13 or 14, he had to show me up because he has to be the best at everything. He started watching Velocity car shows despite hating cars just so that he could be more knowledgeable than me.

I couldn't stand working with him because we didn't mesh at all. I would never let him help me work on my car because he was the kind of guy who undoes bolts with vise grips because it "takes too long to find the right socket." Then, when he would round off the nut, he'd get super fucking pissed and start cursing, breaking, and throwing shit.

He also couldn't drive worth a shit and everytime he demanded to drive my shitbox, it would be bucking all over the place and getting bogged out, but he wouldn't learn or listen to me because of course he knew best. He also highly dissaproved of me going out to the track because a car was "nothing more than a tool."

I'm sorry for dumping my blog here, but holy shit, I wish I had that kind of relationship with my father. You guys are lucky.

he is an asshole and I wouldn't mind if he died

Looks like you’ve put a lot of care into that Farmall.
I always see a handful of them when I work the auctions but it’s always cool to see the other side of it, where the actual work is put in.

Don't be sorry, better to make a r/o/bot9000 post and get shit off your chest than to be angry inside for longer. I know there's lots of people who have shitty or even dangerous/abusive relationships with their parents and I can't put into words how fucking lucky I am to have a father who I'm not only on good terms with, but legitimately shares my interests and hobbies on the level of a friend.

Yeah, but he was old and tired before I was old enough to drive.

>Do you have a good relationship with your dad, Veeky Forums?
no and i never can since that asshole's dead
>Did he like cars?
who cares? nobody.

Mine too. Absolute fucking faggot. Showed him my modified turbo 6 barra making 500+hp. "What do you need that much power for?" What a fucking woman.

>dad doesn't know jack about cars
>always encouraged me when I had to fix things on my shitbox
>despite limited car knowledge he always at least made sure I was working safely (jack stands/chocks/safety glasses/gloves/etc)
>always gave me the garage to park in/wrench in as long as I kept it clean
>parked his nice car outside while I parked my shitbox in the garage
>since I was a skinny twig I'd often ask him for help dealing with stubborn stuff I lacked the power to break loose myself
>have done nearly everything short of rebuilding an engine in my dad's garage
>now 25 with my own house and garage
>dad complains it's too quiet around his house without me wrenching and swearing at my shitboxes

Truly it is a father's duty to encourage his son to tackle car projects, even if the father doesn't know cars himself.

Dad admits he doesn't know much about cars but he helped me change the fuel and oil filter on my daily without me asking him so I guess he seems interested. He won't let me buy a cheap shitbox to learn on though.

yes I get along with him. He's an engineer, and he's interested in cars from a mechanical aspect, but he's always sort of thought of them as more of a tool until recently. He likes fast cars, watches top gear, but he's never really done much wrenching because he's never really had the time.
I recently did an engine swap with him and my brother and he enjoyed it a lot. After doing it, he said he wants us to swap the engine from his wrecked volvo xc70 into his working volvo xc70 because the electronics are fucked and the head gasket leaks a bit.

I'm black, so no.

My grandfather however let me help him with his Jaguar project cars that he would fix up and sell. It devastated me when he died of a heart attack.

My dad's kind of lazy so he was never big on working on cars, but he loves them a lot. When I was very young I had a VHS of Havoc 7, a British racing crash video series that introduced me to rally, Group C and motorcycle racing, as well as the danger inherent in motorsport. I also had several tapes of the American adaptation of the Michel Vaillant cartoon, Heroes on Hot Wheels, that I watched on rotation.
Being that my dad doesn't care to work on cars, we never had anything to wrench on. Instead we bonded over racing games. He was one of the first people to compete in simracing over the Internet, using the original Nascar Racing's Hawaii service. After that, we had every Papyrus sim the day it came out. Eventually he got an MS Sidewinder FFB and they became more than fun games, I learned to throw a stock car around ovals before I ever set foot in a driver's seat. I learned to enjoy not just the racing but the physical act of controlling the car at the limit and the careful interaction between you and physics.
When I bought my Miata recently he took a day off work and drove 300 miles to go hoon in the mountains with me. He got all nostalgic over the gasoline-and-leather smell of the cockpit and loves the hellish racket it makes after I threw a 3-inch pipe on it. He is a really, really, almost impossibly chill guy and the best friend I will probably ever have.

man that sounds so fucking nice
>tfw never met my dad
my stepdad's alright but he doesn't actually want to do stuff with me

Well, my parents split up when I was 4 and my mother is very slowly going insane so it's not all harps and roses, but dad's always got my back and I'm really lucky. All my friends have had really shitty parents -- my best friend from high school's dad left without a word when he was 7, moved to Scotland and basically disappeared.

That's a nice tractor tho

My dad's pretty great.
>has owned over 40 cars throughout his life
>insane levels of mechanical knowledge, has done everything from rebuilding an air-cooled vw engine to swapping in a v8 into his base model chevelle back in the 80s
>got me into cars by buying me lots of car books as a kid
>helped my buy my first car and taught me to wrench on it
>watches hoonigan and roadkill
>has been bugging me about doing a Baja bug build with him

I have a great relationship with my dad. He isn't into cars and hates me riding motorcycles, but helps me with my projects anyway.

I know that guy we smoke meth in the weekends.

Kind of. He used to do his own car maintenance and drive shitboxes until he got neutered by his wife. Now he nags me into not following his path and buy new econoboxes, even though I don't even have a gf and keeps telling me to go to the dealer for problems instead of fixing them myself.

I have a good relationship but seeing how his life changed from his stories of youth to today makes me not want a gf to begin with. Why are women so lame and and why do men keep falling for it?

We pretty much bonded the most over my project car. Everything I've learned was because of him. Grandfather was the same, told me funny stories of how my dad stabbed a screwdriver thru the fender of his VW Rabbit in sheer anger, but yeah it's pretty fun. Work on the car, drink some beers, hang out and drink some more beers, finish up the car and then go drink some beer

My dad would've been a great dad if he was involved in my childhood.

But, because he liked drugs, and my mom was an unstable unfit mother, I never really got to see him until I was in my 20's.

youtu.be/D_Vg4uyYwEk

I just didnt live up to the hype.

I never understood why these tractors get so much love from white folks...they seem pretty boring

Yes, and even my grandfathers. My Moms dad has been wprkong on Vets since the 50s. He had two C2s and one GTO back in the day. My fathers dad was into Jap stuff and had a 240z and even a MKIV NA up untill the early 2000s when he was getting a little bit old to really enjoy either.

My father has a 944 84 NA, 69 Z28 and 73 stingray. I can honestly say for a hobvy i only really took up after Highschool when i had the money for it. I whish I would have helped more as a kid. The amount of knowledge my little soft brain coulda took in would have been helpful now.

But nice enough everyone in my family is more than happy to help. My mom even got a V6 challenger for driving. Blessed to have the family I have.

same dude. my dad used to work on cars and had a manual e30, but now he doesn't really care about cars and says I should drive a prius. The only perk of him being old as fuck is that he knows how to drive stick, so could help me bring home a manual car.

Because they are generally farmers or lived near farms, in my town john deer vs international harvester is like GM vs ford

My dad is 55 and he's never owned a car, he thinks cars are a waste of money. Yet he's always asking me if he can borrow mine or if I can do favours for him.

I love my dad but he has no respect for my golf, driving it hard and loading it up like it's a pickup.

I told him I can't let him drive it anymore and he's just going to have to buy his own.