Why does America struggle to make a good luxury car brand?

Why does America struggle to make a good luxury car brand?

Japan has Lexus
Europe has BMW and Mercedes
What does America have?

If you were in charge to make a new US luxury car brand how would you do it? What would your luxury cars look like?
Bonus points if it's a performance luxury car.
Ultra bonus points if you pull a Lexus and start your new US luxury brand with just 1 car

Cadillac has really upped their game in the last few years but GM is pretty shit as we all know.

Basically this. They make a good """luxury""" sports sedan, we just don't like it.

>implying

boi europe isn't a country, include itilian cars and bongmobiles

That's easy. I just steal Cadillac from GM so that their bean-counting Jews stop killing all the good projects.
>mfw no c7 xlr with edgy styling and lt4

italian and bong cars are pretty shit

>implying there's any good bongmobiles

Oh wow the worst elements of every euro car.
>mercedes tablet
>audi rattling plastic
>bmw gaudy

>Plastic

Lemao

>luxury car brand
>car

Don't make me pull out my red pen, user.

old jags were ok pre-buyout even though they spend more time in the shop

and itilians are good at making body designs that are better after they are stole by japan or germany

Let's not pretend Mercedes and BMW doesn't have plastic all over the place too.

but they don't
only real wood and leather

>Why does America struggle to make a good car brand?

You had too many words.

>plastic buttons
>plastic stalks
>plastic cubby
>plastic on the fucking steering wheel

steering wheel is wood+leather+aluminium combo and most of the buttons are aluminium too.

facelift with piano black wood trim

Did ambro make that for them?

That's a different wheel, but the stalks and buttons are still plastic, and the wood is literally covered with plastic.

yeah nah all wheels come with real wood.
>and the wood is literally covered with plastic
kek do you even know how wood lamination works?
You can get open pore wood trim too btw.
All the buttons on stalks are aluminium and leather coated stalks would be retarded btw.

>kek do you even know how wood lamination works?
You spray plastic on the wood and let it solidify?

>All the buttons on stalks are aluminium and leather coated stalks would be retarded btw.

Still plastic though. And the buttons no dash and doors didn't need to be plastic, and yet they are.

So you went from
''Let's not pretend Mercedes and BMW doesn't have plastic all over the place too''
to ''but it has plastic stalks!''
Lmao.
Btw all the buttons on the dash and doors are ALUMINIUM can you not read?

>LCD gauge clusters

BMW isnt a luxury brand you delusional fucking idiot
But I know I won’t convince your stupid ass otherwise, so my answer is Lincoln and shut the fuck up.

$100 whatever this is won't actually look like whatever this is.

>BMW isnt a luxury brand
Oh look it's this shitter again.
Reminder that BMW produces the most luxurous cars on the planet - Rolls Royce.

>Why does America struggle to make a good luxury car brand?
>Europe has BMW

>tablet
>luxury

Ayy la mayonnaise

Cadillac the past 5 years is legit better than all those. Also they will wreck German and Jap alike at Daytona in a few weeks.

Yes Cadillac was shit forever so I don't blame anyone for being skeptical.

>my honda with no infotainment is a luxury car!!
reminder that poorfag opinions are shit and irrelevant

That wood is plastic you iduits. You think green ass Germany is cutting down trees for cars in 2018.

I fell for it until I had to do some electric work and pulled it apart.

CTS V is god tier, but it should be a pontiac

Neck yourself EU shill scum.

Cadillac is shit. This is their most luxurious car. This fucking fleet-mobile.

>That wood is plastic you iduit
No it isn't.
It's a very thin layer of burled walnut.
On some low end models (1 series/A class) it is fake though.

Just imagine buying a 90.000€ (starting from because the one in picture exceeds 100.000€) car and realise that they cheapened out on the infotainment integration, on their flagship (((luxury))) car, by slapping the first 7€ chinese tablet - just like Mercedes does for the records - with the system actually developed by FCA (Magneti Marelli) and in the end aknowledging that all the money has been spent to design a baseball bat on the side of the car. Really.

The absolute state of german luxury kek.

I love the sour butts like you that call poorfags every guy that doesn't agree with your opinion. You germanfags should be gassed so we can finally get rid of the cancer in the automotive market.

That shit is ugly as hell. What point are you trying to make?

Yeah nah iDrive is the best and most intuitive infotainment in the auto industry, always has been.
The screen location is for the best ergonomics you'd know if you ever had sat in a new BMW.

>screen position is ok
>this justifies a tablet in a 90.000€ car

Bmw fangirls logic.

>baseball bat
Kek. Nigga you've never played any sport in your life have you?

Yup ergonomics and build quality over anything.
It's not like you'll ever be cross shopping for 90k cars anyway.

I meant golf club, I fucked up because I needed to use half of my brain to get in the mindset of the person defending that tragedy.

the problem with american cars is that americans only care about what a car looks like and what sort of specs it has, and think that forward-thinking tech is scary. and american car companies know this, so they build handsome cars that can get to 60mph in a matter of moments and keep all the tech in the science lab and price accordingly

meanwhile audi is building cars that park themselves, mercedes has cars that drive themselves, and bmw has cars that are just bonkers to drive. if you take into account the road system of the usa this actually sounds really nice, we have large freeways and twisty mountain roads and tight parking lots and lots of parallel parking in our inner cities. but just like our presidential elections americans are completely notorious of working and buying in spite of their own interests just so they can pander to stuff like tradition when in reality they're too narrow minded to move society ahead

My bmw 09 doesnt have a screen and its great. I don't even think its possible to get a car without it in 2017.

What the fuck is wrong with you all?

so much dashboard, so much unused space. not just space for buttons, but space that could be better utilized

He posted the fucking pic of the interior and you still lie to make a point? That’s pathetic, like a 5 year old child.

>boi europe isn't a country, include itilian cars and bongmobiles
Okay.

>Maserati Quattroporte
>Aston Martin Rapide
>Bentley Flying Spur
>Rolls Royce Ghost

Americans make a better luxury car than these then?

>80% pure grey plastic
Are you fucking serious? My grandpa drives an 2016 Toyota RAV-4 which looks better inside. Your picture is literally the proof for what OP wrote. Compare this shit to an Mercedes E-Class, BMW 5 series or Lexus. American cars can’t compete here.

>aston martin
Mercedes
>bentley
VAG
>Rolls Royce Ghost
BMW

there isn't even a hint of leather in that interior kek

Aston Martin are independent. The others have relative freedom of business, or at the very least benefit from their owners not competing in their market.

If Cadillac Super Cruise is as trustworthy as GM ignition locks, I'm not going to get within ten miles of it.

The previous Corvette with Cadillac makeup wasn't a good product or a good seller, what makes you think a new one would be?

>mfw no caddy supercharged MR c8 with styling cues taken from the xlr and cts-v, available in coupe and shooting-brake configurations

Honestly tesla is probably the best we got.

America makes unparalleled luxury vehicles. We just make them in pickup truck form.

Get out.

>unparalleled

because no one bothers to compete, so usa is the only one in the ring. luxo-pickups are the ultimate in awful ego-compensation. take that cash and buy a yacht if you're that concerned with your ultimate existential insignificance

um yeah it's definitely the best. it takes the idea of a modern automobile and makes it the best that it really could be. quick, comfortable, intuitive, chic, and best of all, usable.

>ultimate in awful ego-compensation
Let’s see here

>buy a $100,000 F450 Limited with a 30,000+ towing capability
Or
>buy $300,000 for some different shapes of plastic covered in leather in a car that is completely useless outside of hauling a rich fatass around

>tesla

oh boy, you're really trying aren't you

Maybe if they put an actual engine instead of a boat anchor in it it would've sold better.

It's all leather, dash, steering wheel, seats doors etc... Everything is leather I've been in one. It was actually quite impressive

Yeah I’m not seeing anything contradictory to what I said

you're easily impressed

It's not plastic. It's leather

Maybe, but the Mercedes and BMW interiors weren't any nicer. The Cadillac rode much better than the Germans as well.

it rode better than a CLA and 2 series maybe.

the problem with what you said isn't that it's contradictory, it's that it is stupidly specific. i can buy an f450 for $100,000 to tow my 30,000lbs trailer and that's great. i'm sure it does a great job towing. but then i'm still stuck with a truck that weighs 8500 lbs and trailer that can't move anywhere. that truck is great for towing stuff like horses, hay, etc, but then it's a work truck, not a personal device. so why not take that money and spend it on an RV and then tow a smaller car in a trailer behind the RV so you can park the RV, hook it up, and not have to drive around a truck that is a stupid size for anything except towing farm equipment.

whereas if you buy a $300,000 Ferrari, let's say a California T (very well optioned too) then you not only have a car that can transport you from point A to point B but is also much easier to park, much easier to drive, easily just as comfortable, much quicker, and philosophically makes much more sense. it goes from point A to point B in a rush and that's its job, unlike a massive pickup who has a job and is completely without purpose if it isn't hooked to pull something massive.

>poorfags arguing about cars they have never driven or never will own

We will own them in 20 years.

Stop talking shit about my future cars bitch.

E class Mercedes and a BMW 5 series.
Was seriously dissapointed, I expected them to be much better than the caddillac

Im sure the bus is more luxurious than all of those and its american.

nice plate

They probably handle better than the caddy right?

Absolutely. But I was looking for a comfy cruiser for my 42 mile commute. If I wanted something that drove sporty I wouldn't even consider a Cadillac.
The caddilac wasnt bad, handling wise, not too much body roll or too soft a suspension, it just had no feedback and didn't really beg to be pushed harder

So the defining quality of luxury vehicles in the US is towing then?

The era of German Luxury is over

Volvo are making the best interiors on the planet these days.

I cannot stress enough just how good the V90 interior is. It's lightyears ahead of anything else, especially all the shit that the Germans have produced lately.

You don't beat someone by imitating them. The best you can possibly do is catch up.

>the art of speed
They're slow af doe.

I'd say the most well-executed modern 'Merican cars are:

Ford F-150 / 250
Corvette Z06
Ford GT
Challenger Hellcat / Demon
Tahoe / Yukon / Escalade
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Tesla Model S

>Russian
>Lexus Berlin
Holzrusse namens "Eugen" oder was

>wood in cars

A holdover from the horse-drawn carriage days and manufacturers sucking at metalworking. Wood has no place in a car.

Then one day they get tired of catching up so they decide to completely blow you out of the water.

I agree with this. Wood is shit desu.
What, this looks fucking shithouse m8

The XLR was a shitty idea with shitty execution.

The only good things to have come out of Caddy in the last decade have been the CTS and ATS and that is it.

>Model S
>well executed
Yeah, only costs $100,000 and has a $30,000 car interior.

It wasn't a shitty idea at all. Every luxury brand benefits from having an expensive halo coupe in their lineup. Just look at the spammed Lexus.

It was executed very poorly though, although it's GM so that is to be expected.

>>and the wood is literally covered with plastic
it is tho
I have w203 and when I took apart the panels its was wood slices stacked ontop of eachother with a metal plate in the middle and the top layer was actually plastic

>a fucking poorfag c-class

XLR represented GM zooming towards bankrupt. None of the execs gave a fuck, corners cut everywhere, interior was junk, exterior was tacky, so damn overpriced. Basically EVERYTHING General Motors made 1993-2008 is trash

Not to mention nobody wants Cadillac coupes, period. Their sedans don't sell much better. Cadillac hit gold with the Escalade and SRX/XT5, they should have capitalized five years ago introducing fuel efficient XT3 and XT7

Their CEO Johan is an imbecile fraud.

Yes. All true.

Yet still, they should make a luxury coupe or two. Not only would it harken back to their heritage but they need halo products. They need a car that everyone desires and aspires to own, yes including rappers and sports players so that they do the free advertising for you. It gets people into dealers, even if they leave the dealer in a base ATS on a 2yr lease.

Ford gt is the only car that you listed that is ok.