If you had to spend less than $3000 on a car for a roadtrip across the USA, what would you get?

If you had to spend less than $3000 on a car for a roadtrip across the USA, what would you get?

civic

I'd check the local used listings and see what there is.

mercedes w123 or w124

Something that would be comfortable for long drives, have decent cargo space and cheap as dirt parts and servicing.

Civic
Corolla
Pre 2004 sentra, altima or maxima
Camry
Accord
Import minivans

old ranger or f150

5 years ago I'd say "Subaru Outback Wagon" and have enough money leftover for fuel/oil for the entire trip. Can't fucking find any for that cheap now, so I'll have to go with a Taurus/Sable wagon.

Civic
Camry
Corolla
Accord
Volvo 850
Volvo 240/740
Toyota Pickup/4Runner

If you hate yourself and want a terrible ride but easy to find under a grand:

Neon
Accent
Taurus
Impala

Also fuck whoever is recommending a truck for roadtrip like get real

>camper shells
This new

I too enjoy a cramped cabin and shit fuel economy when I'm not pulling a trailer

> cramped cabin
yeah because you need so much space when you sit alone in one seat? I mean sure we said a road trip through America, but that doesn't instantly mean you're also a fat fuck like the rest of them lol

Chevy Lumina
Buick Regal
Honda Accord
Whatever mid-sized Korean sedan is cheap and plentiful.
Any number of minivans.
For $3k or less you don't get quirky or aspirational, just stick to the basics.

Tercel

I get 21 mpg in my 1992 Ranger.

Its also gone from 204k to 252k in the past 2 years without any major problems.

this, but a wagon instead

Protégé5.

anything that runs and isnt too beat up honestly.

Sleeping in the car? wagon or truck.

crown Vic

Lincoln Town Car

Volvo V70 T5. Comfy as fuck, huge amount of space, fast enough to overtake.

Also they're more reliable than any other European shit that will get recommend here.

You could probably fit a twin sized matress in the back, but don't quote me on it.

id go roadkill style
i like a challenge

I actually slept quite comfortably in my old Lumina when I was road tripping around for a few months. I just laid back the driver's seat, it was like sleeping in a velour recliner.
Protip though: Sleeping in a vehicle gets whiffy really fast, even if you keep it tidy. So spend as much time with your windows down as you can and bring some febreeze.

Most comfortable 2k I ever spent

An old low mileage mini van

For a BMW that is not a final price. The repairs will be pain or so I've heard. That is, of you live in the us and have to pay import tarifs on everything down to the BMW air cleaner.

I don't know about Europe.

Same with Mercedes, even the simplest parts can set you back a couple hundred bucks. If I were road tripping across the US in a cheap car, it would not be European.

Not to mention if you're road tripping across the US, you might easily find yourself where it's a little bit of a logistical setback if you need some odd European part.

How about Sweedish?

Counts as European in the US.

Not as expensive as German, but it'll still cost you if it breaks down. Especially if you're in the boondocks and they have to ship the parts in.
If you're on a beater budget, stick to easiest/cheapest cars to repair.

grand marquis or b body
A 3800 Buick if I get desperate.

>highway touring in a naturally aspirated 80s diesel
Take a look at topographical map of the lower 48 then apologize for wishing torture on OP.

Taurus
Ranger
Panther
A-body
3.3 Mopar Van

crown vic?