youtu.be/lgUuRVkgJmg
youtube.com/watch?v=Ut55yR2Yu8M
youtube.com/watch?v=aI-WkHBUFN4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>race car chassis
[Citation needed]

It's just a miata with a roof and a hard to work on engine

HEY GUYS, NO TURBO

reeeeee Should be low-pressure and come on early for a nice wide torque band if they do it that way though.

youtu.be/3ZbGdkyrAis

youtu.be/lgUuRVkgJmg

>all these non race car drivers
why should I even read your posts?

fuck that. they know what people would do to these cars. crank up the boost til shit started to break and then try to take them in for warranty work

>but but but the engine should be stronger!
the car would only be 35,000 fucking dollars, how strong do you think the engine would be?

Driving in a straight line,

youtube.com/watch?v=Ut55yR2Yu8M

youtube.com/watch?v=aI-WkHBUFN4

Because it doesnt take a racecar driver to tell you that your mom's minivan will get a better lap time on the track.

how many times have you visited a track

you just btfo him mr. q

More than I can afford pal.

Is the first one fucking modified?

Fewer bolt ons than an EK civic, stock chassis stock engine with a bolt on turbo,stock gearbox.

DURRR LOOK ANOTHER SHITPOSTING THREAD BETTER REPLY DURRRRRRRRRRRR

>all these non race car drivers
good one brother

>crank up the boost til shit started to break and then try to take them in for warranty work
are you dumb?
they'll fucking know if someone fucks with the boost and that'll void any warranty.

It's not like Subaru hasn't been dealing with boost-crankers on other models for ages anyway. Probably the bigger complaint would be if it would be worth adding only a little bit of power for the extra cost and complexity and having more weight hanging there up front.

the absolute STATE of Toyota

HAHA LOOOOOOOL SLOWER THAN VAN X D DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

i cant wait till 2020 when subaru finally updates the STI to the FA24DIT and it bolts right into a BRZ. then all the whining cunts who want power can either a)swap in a decent boosted motor b) be a sub 200hp cuck who cant complain

face it, modern car companies arent selling you a 300 hp boosted RWD couple that weights 2800 for 35k in 2018 because its gonna end up with kids crashing them into everything and jacks up the insurance rates

you can get a 350hp turbokit for 4000$ and it still be better driving and more reliable than a cayman

yes mate!
the extra 30-50lbs of turbo and intercooler would totally negate the extra 100 hp it makes.
Toyota totally dodged a bullet there, phew

Depends what you're looking for in a car. And what would it cost on a car that's already arguably a little to expensive? Totally valid improvement. But at least switch up your reaction pics for fun and variety.

you can buy second hand bmw's with that much power at the same price point. No one makes that argument about them.
Could it just be that you're a complete twat

>12:1 compression ratio
>boost
>reliable

not gonna be reliable long term, if you are serious about turboing the BRZ you put new piston heads in and drop it to about 9.5:1 CR so its safer against knock/det

>9 speed vs shitty auto

do it again with manual

>being budget constrained enthusiast
>wanting a used BMW
kek

i said more reliable than a cayman not reliable. everyone knows porsches break down at 8k miles

but americans can only drive auto

With the same maintenance expectations? And that will make people say
>wow this car really needs more power and everything but really nails it for driving feel and makes me want to like it!

are you the 328ci autist? kek

>being budget constrained enthusiast
>buying a brand new car
toppest of kek

I don't understand the point you are trying to make

No

people sell their bmws not because they get bored of them because they are money pits

I forget what kind of used BMW I cross shopped near the price, but it was a lot older and made me wonder how the running costs would be comparatively. I didn't take the time to look closer at the specs to take it for a drive to see if it has all the other little features that make people justify the existence of the brz.

sure, and a retro fitted turbo kit on a gt86 isn't a money pit right?

Isn't the 86 cheaper than a new miata?

Haven't looked that up, but IIRC the two are kind of close and it probably depends on trim level. Obviously you'd cross-shop the two and decide which is more your jive and if it's worth a few thousand this way or that or whatever it is.

Kind of like how on the used market you might wonder if the older miata priced less than the newer 86 is the better deal or not.

The cosworth one is meant to be pretty decent - makes around 260bhp without changing the exhuast etc.
Might as well get a used caymen for the money though.

Yeah if you're looking for more power (and even if you think an 86 is fun and even if you don't drive it all that hard you probably will wind up wanting more power) then it definitely becomes a more complicated question about the best way to get it vs. what the costs and reliability might be.

Why can't you put in a EJ25?

yes, the chassis is very good
yes, the engine should have been better or different
yes, it's great for people who want a good sports car for cheap which is new
no, people want different cars for different reasons, there is no perfect one or it would dominate the whole market

>race car chassis

a thread died for this

>a good sports car for cheap which is new
Its not cheap though at all.

for you

It's kind of close enough if you're in a spot where you're more interested in assuming that it's going to have appliance-like maintenance than in hunting for true love and caring for it.

Sure it's ten years old and had 75k miles upon purchase, but it was 7k cheaper than that.

>100 more horsepower
>ridiculous Porsche reliability(save for IMS, but that is a cheap fix)
>fuck your back seats, you can't fit anyone anyway
>at least subjectively, it looks better
>Any girl in her right mind would hop in your passenger seat before the vape god in the BRZ next to you
>handling is divine
>you can get a used one for TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS CHEAPER

There is literally no downside to this car.

They do sell a stripped down version afaik, that is chassis and engine, no air con etc.

Yeah but now you're comparing used vs. used. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about a Porsche instead, but that depends a lot on what's available nearby.

I had a 2014 FRS for a few years until I sold it in early 2017 for a WRX. When I bought it, the car's main attraction was that it was agile and fun to drive. After a few months I started to notice some of the greater flaws in the car. First road noise is really bad. Its difficult to have a conversation at anything above 40mph. Second was how shitty the interior was, it rattles and vibrates a lot. Much of the dash and center console is this cheap plastic that feels and looks like its straight out of the late 90's - early 00's. You'd think for a car that retails for as much as 26k that it'd have an interior better than a honda Civic EXL which is 21 but it doesn't. Third was the speaker system which was bad at high volumes. The speakers resonate and drown out, also anything with any sort of bass would also drown out too. Couple this with excessive road noise means the speakers almost never sound good. Another thing that was annoying was this apparent torque dip that everyone has been memeing about for years. The car has very little torque and has a difficult time climbing any sort of incline. It struggles to accelerate at all through the torque dip and only becomes "fun" when you gain momentum. You'll derive no fun in rapidly accelerating or decelerating.

The WRX was just more fun and enjoyable purely because it had more power, AWD, and a better interior. It just felt so much more solidly built.

Oh for sure. There are very few uses caymans on the market but even after purchasing one I've been watching the market very closely, and it's starting to drop off really fast. Expect 10k caymans to pop up by the end of the year.

would you recommend either though? the boxer engine is shit.

>you can get a used one for TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS CHEAPER
These are aproxx 20% more than the 86 in my area. Also new vs used.

I look at it like dipping my toes in the water and having something that's pretty good for my purposes while I think or wait about what to do next.

>shit
what are you basing this on?

IMO this car isn't worth buying new for any reason. Find a well maintained used one from a few years ago, don't pay more than 16-18k for it, and don't expect anything out of it. If you think you can just "mod away on it" you probably can't. The car's engine compartment and undersides are extremely cramped and theres little room in the engine for any kind of addons. Many people go to great lengths to do things like add super chargers, associated tunes and oil pumps to support the supercharger, radiator, intercooler and all sorts of stuff. It will pretty much end up in a multi thousand dollar venture to-do list for something you really should have just saved and bought a better car right out of the box.

I'd recommend the WRX to people who feel the FRS is lack luster and don't care about RWD. The WRX has its own problems as any car does and the only one's that I see people complain about most often actually seem to be minor issues. One being Rev Hang which apparently has gone down on the newer WRX's, retarding engine timing which could be because of poor fuel quality and knocking and a numb steering wheel. The Rev Hang is woopty do IMO because I'm not into shifting so stupidly quick like many people like. Retarding engine timing could be an issue and you'll probably notice it when you try and do quick launches and pulls that the car might not like and it'll retard timing. Better quality fuel seems to fix this issue. I think the numb steering can be felt because the car is very easy to drive. You won't feel the road as well as you might in an FRS, the WRX is much more insulated and has an easier to turn steering wheel, theres much less force feedback.

owned a liberty, engine blew twice just commuting and following regular maintenance.

A liberty?

yes, was that not clear subaru makes the liberty?

Why'd it blow? I know a bunch of people with Subarus and have worked on some of them myself, and about the worst I can say overall is one guy got two bum transmissions in a row. Engine-wise they've all been pretty good, even the two from the infamous EJ25 head gasket era.

It's sold as a Legacy in the US.

I'm pretty sure Subaru does not make a car called a "liberty"

Do you mean a Jeep Liberty?

i could have sworn the jeep liberty used a v6
also, a chrysler product being shit isn't so surprising

They do down under, I think its just a Legacy.

1st one died from engine seizure even though it was properly serviced by the dealers, 2nd one died from piston failure going up a hill.

legacy in the states

>2nd one died from piston failure going up a hill.
This sounds like an engine lugging issue.

yea probably. swapped to a mazda 3 and thats been flawless, but its way too slow. I wouldn't mind a wrx hatch though.

Wow. I'd be bitter about that, too. What model?

One of the ones I know chewed itself up but that can happen if you don't know it's a good idea to change the tensioner when you change the belt.

4th gen, 2007 model. 2.5 turbo 5 speed

I think that was the particular engine that had so many issues with headgaskets. The EJ25 turbo was notorious for engine problems.

might wait for a fa24 wrx then, hopefully they come in hatch, i like the hatch aesthetic

The FA20 is pretty solid and doesn't have any real issues from what I gather

Sad to hear. The turbo 2.5s were tuned pretty iffy when they first hit the US, but at least SOA took note and tried to get them sorted out before that could tank their reputation.

IIRC it had some oil burning issues early on, but I havn't read anything bad about it in a lil while

I haven't heard about any oil burning issues with the WRX and they picked up the FA20 in 2015. the FRS had the FA20 since 2012 so maybe thats where it stemmed from.

I've got a 2013 FA20 and it's been rock solid so far. Only just recently started to get a little bit of the fuel line cricket sounds sometimes. Doesn't seem to burn a drop of oil.

Not bad for an early one from a brand new line of engines.

what the FUCK happened to japanese sports cars?

OH shoot, it was the FB that was doing that, sorry.

The FA's only low side is that they are all open deck so far, but the cylinder walls are much thicker. The BRZ does get some chirping with certain fuels though. Does the WRX maybe?

Not that I can observe in my anecdotes. Other than the engine retarded timing due to poor fuel/knocking.

Feels like the FA20 pulls some timing every so often, but I've never bothered to plug in my OBDII thing and check. Actually I can't believe I've never done that just to check the event history. Probably because the torque dip is so lame you just scour and figure you should have been in a lower gear anyway.

Where'd you learn that? Sounds like an issue to me since it's an interference engine.

Not him but I always thought it was poor fuel quality leading to some knocking and the ECU pulls timing because of it.

Learn what? Just saying sometimes it feels like it's not giving it its all and pulling the timing would be an obvious explanation for strange butt dyno readings.

Never been annoying or concerning enough to try to diagnose.

> Auto
> Sports car
Pick one

That depends the base Miata is about the same price but doesn't get an LSD the one with an LSD is a lot more and blows up it's gearbox.

It makes me happy that this was meme'd so long and hard it made it to the mainstream auto press.

I didn't know what to expect at first in terms of what the LSD meant. I kind of want to try open diff rear just to see how much differently it reacts.

But it's its pretty obvious why it'd be a selling point.

The thing is I've never owned a car that after a couple of years I haven't wanted more power from, be it a little 1.6 4 pot to my 6L 12 cylinder. With the 86 there are plenty of options out there with proven reliability.

Yeah no doubt. Is there ever really enough power until it's not practical or noticeable?

It's just that stock once you get the hang of it, or if you're coming from an experience where you put your foot down and it shoves you into the seat, or whatever the case might be, you quickly get why everybody says it deserves more meat between the buns.

Yes, they're both around 25k. There is less need to go up in trim levels if you're after performance in the 86 than the MX5 because the 86 comes with the LSD in basic trim where you need to upgrade to the club trim (almost 29k) for the LSD in the MX5. If you're looking at that price then for just under 30k, you can get a fully decked out BRZ limited with PP which means you get the nicer wheels, suspension and Brembos. If you want the Brembos on the Miata, you're now looking at an additional 3400 putting the car at ~33k for something similarly equipped to the 30k BRZ. Close enough that if you're really after the roadster, then you can probably go for it but far enough away that if you're on the fence or prefer the BRZ, it will probably sway your decision.

>spend around 25k
>get a base cayman
>75k miles
>spend around 28k
>get s
No thank you.

It's a niche vehicle to begin with so I'm mostly with you on this. I'd recommend anyone looking to buy new to consider finding a good used example with a few miles on it instead. No reason you can't talk a private seller down to 15k on something with 60k miles and the car will still outlast your interest in it.

The only exception to this a single guy with no personal mechanical skill/time/space but wants to blast down some twisty roads on weekends and only has space for a single vehicle. That was me when I was living in an apartment. Had tons of disposable income but not much time to spend it. Got the BRZ because I liked how it looked.

Now I have a house and I've modified mine and autocrossed and tracked it extensively. I'm happy to report it's held up to everything I've given it so far.

Honestly, don't go to town modding an 86, there is a point of diminishing returns and it starts once you turbo or supercharge it.

For autocross, you can stay in street class by just upgrading to whatever the current top autocross tire is and get the most aggressive alignment you can. You can upgrade struts too but that's all you can do outside of a few specific exceptions.

Anything beyond that will put you into street touring. If you want to be competitive, you are going to go full basic bolt-ons: wheels and tires, coilovers, brakes, headers and ecu tune. Add an oil-cooler if you want to go on track too.

Honestly, I think this is the sweet spot for these cars. You haven't dumped an enormous amount of money (maybe about 5k) and at this point, you haven't done anything to negatively impact reliability but you've increased the performance across the board quite a bit and made it look much better too.

I think that anything beyond the above is reserved for the 86 enthusiast who loves their car and I mean the person who doesn't care that he's spent more on his car than a new Camaro SS 1LE but it's still not as fast or reliable.

>all your points are about the interior
Just buy an SUV dude

>saved up a little more
You need to save upwards of 10k or more for the next best thing, which is a porsche

my cayman s was 17k, with 75k miles. I think the real trick is to just find one that's being sold by another car enthusiast; make sure it's been well taken-care of, all of the documentation is there, and you should be good to go.

>Implying Subaru engines above 2L are any good
I mean did the US learned from its shitty EJ25 STIs?

Because the Ej20 is better

>le ebin all cars in production cost sticker price meme
My friend got a brand new one from dealer for 20k.
You can get used ones for up to 15k.
But yeah its a great goddamn chassis

>drag racing
>relevant
lmao apply yourself busrider

>race car
K E K