Do you guys genuinely think old BMW's are superior to new ones...

Do you guys genuinely think old BMW's are superior to new ones, or are you just poor and can't afford anything that's not at least 10 years old?

pic related, the car I'm going to buy

Other urls found in this thread:

evo.co.uk/bmw/m4/20559/bmw-m4-competition-pack-evo-car-of-the-year-best-coupe
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the e39 m5 is the absolute peak for sports sedans and everybody knows this
it set the gold standard for everybody else

it still is the best 4 door ever.
E60 M5 would be better if it was cheaper to upkeep.

i came here to say this. i don't think anything will be this good, ever

Sure, but the past is the past. Is it better than the 2018 M5?

see, what makes the E39 perfect its because its a balance. Not too big or fat, but not cramped. Great engine, great gearbox looks super clean (normies wont tell it apart from a normal "old sedan")

It's also remarkably easy to upgrade, tech-wise. Satnav and all that can be fixed.

yes,it's not all about power you know

>normies wont tell it apart from a normal "old sedan"

Is that supposed to be a plus? If you own a performance car, wouldn't you want the world to see it?

>pic related, the car I'm going to buy
finance*

I have a 4 million crypto portfolio, I think I will be able to buy it with my own cash :)

I do, I think my E46 looks way better than any newer 3 series, has better driving feel and is more simple and cheaper to maintain (although "E46" and "cheap maintenance" can't really be used in the same sentence). The better question is, what do newer BMWs actually offer compared to old ones? They have more power (a positive for sure, but not a make or break thing) and more luxurious modern features (which I don't give a single fuck about) and that's about all that I can think of. I don't think it's worth the trade-off of having a heavier, more complex and more expensive car. Hell, sometimes I find my E46 a bit too refined and disconnected from the driving experience, I might try an E36 next.

why wont you try them all then
to answer your question: yes the new M4 still is really good.
evo.co.uk/bmw/m4/20559/bmw-m4-competition-pack-evo-car-of-the-year-best-coupe

Honestly most old cars are superior from a driving and maintenance perspective, the only argument newer cars have in favor of them is that new metallurgy in engine blocks is incredibly strong, and three aren't any real sports cars on the road that use shitty live axles or leaf springs.
Bearing this in mind an old car with a new engine and upgraded suspension is the best possible car.

Buying a car just to impress people makes you a faggot

This. I daily an e46 m3 and it is very different in all aspects than pic posted. That being said, it is harsh and the tactile compared to the newer cars which is both good and bad.

Not "just to impress people", but I won't deny that I want the pussy to follow if I have a nice car.

that's what Elliot Rodgers thought and look what happened to him

He died fighting the good fight
;_;7 gn sweet prince

>buy new POS BMW for $30k
>depreciates to $5k in 5 years
>buy old BMW for $5k
>appreciates to $30k in 20 years
Hmmm tough choice

he killed 4 nerds and 2 ugly girls bro wtf you on about

Thats the thing tho, no girls will pay attention to your car, even if you've got a supercar. if you already cant get pussy in a corolla, you cant get pussy in a ferrari

yes. if it has an F in the chassis designation I can almost guarantee you the previous generation was better.

save for the 6 series.

This is literally the definition of overcompensating for something through your car, a trait that females will both detect and be repulsed by.

t. Non virgin

>looks super clean
It honestly looks really ugly compared to the E34 M5. Idk why E39s get praise for their looks both on Normie car pages and here when it's as uninspired as it is.

i think you're in the minority with that opinion

He killed 4 normies and 2 roasties
Also crippled a bunch more normies in the based e92

>no girls will pay attention to your car, even if you've got a supercar.
This simply isn't true and if you had ever sat in a car that isn't from 1995 then you would know that.

>bmwbros will literally never live this down

Women really don't care about cars, guys do

Latter. I love my 7 series, I especially love the E32 because I can afford to buy one and I can use the excuse of "IT'S LABOUR OF LOVE" when I'm too poor to take it to the mechanic because even an old 7 series has 7 series service bills.

Would to get a e46 3series as my second family car

My manager has an e60 which he claims has 540 horsepower and after he drove my e30 he was surprised at how fun and smooth it is to drive.
Driver feel and maintenance wise yes.
Also who doesnt love the old aesthetics?

bmws are so common though nobody gives a fuck. I mean maybe in usa it's different but here everyone drives used 10k 4cyl bmws and nobody can tell it apart from your overpriced 6cyl one

>I mean maybe in usa it's different
It's not. I mean, we don't get those lower trims that you guys do, but 3s and 5s are still absurdly common here. I live in Texas, and virtually everything on the road here is either a truck or SUV. Roughly half of the remaining 10% of vehicles on the road are 3 series.

so then girls don't get impressed by them because anything common equals affordable equals unimpressive

you will UNIRONICALLY impress more normies with a brand new civic here than with a used 3 series and I'm not even joking. also lol civic is faster than 320i

>you will UNIRONICALLY impress more normies with a brand new civic here than with a used 3 series
car magazine reading normies maybe

Basically yeah. My experience is that guys can be impressed with anything relatively sporty or interesting, while girls only start to even sort of care at $90k and up.

no such thing here. people just see something fresh and assume it's less affordable than a bmw which is driven by the dregs of society (not sayin all of them but BMWs are EXTREMELY affordable)
not really I find girls to like anything that is clean/has nice rims/is fairly new and not all banged up

particularly vicious whores are obsessed with 5ers/x6 for some reason though????? and only 5ers/x6. whatever the new mercedes competitor to the x6 is called is also getting some traction

land of eastern europe btw

I'm gonna buy a brand new wrx sti and my gf is going to break up with me because of it, saying it's ugly and that she won't ever get in that ugly car.
she wants me to get bmw or audi..
oh well she didn't like to swallow anyway so next one will get a chance.

>le contrarian
in all seriousness go fuck yourself

back when bmw did good cars

not that other guy but I prefer the e34 but both an e34 and e39 m5 are among the top of my affordable dream cars list

4 million and you pick a BMW? How absolutely pleb. Very much doubt.

hahahha poor boy here

that boxy shite looks horrendous and is slow as fuck. 2006+ models are about 20 times better in everyway

post your solid gold wrapped f90 m5

Not a contrarian or trolling. They're good cars performance-wise. I just think E39s are a pretty bland and generic looking car compared to BMW's previous offerings.

this desu fampai
the e60 m5 is notable for that amazing v10 but not that much else, sadly.
e39 m5 was the full package, perfectly executed

Best BMW

I am sure that the new cars are technically better but they are so fucking FAT.

fuuug.

This is the smartest thing you have said in a loooonnnnnggggg time.

Maybe fourth, after the e9, the e31 and the Z8.

The i8 is the only new BMW I feel excitement for.

Yes. The M2 and the 1's are also good. I hold out hope the M8 turns out okay.

inb4 vanos shits out.

Heard the 1 series almost feels like a new e30

unscrew some screws
replace some seals
done

e39 is master race though. it's not the same, but I love my 540i m.

fuckin a

the e46 m3 is a better car than the clownshoe car but ya i guess some car guys like that one too. In my opinion it is kind of weird looking. the e46 hit the market the same year that I graduated from school & now I can afford to pay full price for it just now, a few years later! pretty neat

If they offered the new 5 series with a stick coupled with the tarbo straight six in the 540i, then ya I'd get one. But they don't. So no thanks.

The interior definitely feels like an e30...

Just get a 140i/240i/340i/440i

I'd give my left nut to own an F10 M5

or ever. He just appears to be intelligent sometimes due to using correct grammar.

BMW was BMW up to 03-04. The rest aren't.

Wasting your money on highly depreciating assets is not how you grow your wealth, user.

I like my e30 simply because I like the e30. It's a light, agile, rear wheel drive cabrio and it's fun as hell to drive.

Doing my own maintenance sucks balls tho...

What about the E30 maintenance sucks that much? Is it M20?

Yea the majority of the cars in the last 10-15 years look bloated.

Yeah, it's an M20; basically nothing is easily accessible for any routine maintenance. I completely replaced my brake system from the master cylinder on back and everything you need to get to with a tool is fucking impossible. They built it by adding the next component overtop of the previous one so it's a headache to reach "X" thing without removing "W, Y, Z" things first.

Ah, I see now. I've worked on a few M20 powered E30's and they were a bit tight indeed. Even more so when someone got the grand idea of making an "African M3" by stuffing an M30 down there.

And yet, it was my first car 5 years ago at 19 and I'll be damned if it won't be the last car I drive before I'm too old and decrepit to work a clutch.

I cross shopped an M2 and an M4 with some other things before getting a fucking camaro. new M cars just aren't special anymore.
I still have an 88 e24, and i will say BMW doesn't make anything as pretty anymore.

And I happened across a factory hardtop for it too

>before I'm too old and decrepit to work a clutch.

You can work the clutch with a servo controlled by a switch on your shift lever and you have many years to set one up.

It actually weighs more than the E60 m5 despite having a smaller engine

As a non owner, I like them both. Some say the e46 m3 is the GOAT, but I like the newer ones equally.

Is the E46 325i worth buying? Do you people [spoiler]have fun[/spoiler] driving it? What else do you own to compare it to?

Why is there no bmw general?

ive driven one for about 2 years now and theyre insanely fun to drive and handle well but the 325i is a lot slower in a straight line unless you rev the shit out of it. Also buy a decent code reader and do most of your own maintenance

slower compared to a 330iZHP?

Are F30/F32s good?
Is there any reason to get an F32 435i/440i over something like an m235i/m240i?

compared to regular 330's and especially the zhp, my mom actually owns a 330i and its noticeably faster ,but also feels a lot heavier but that may just be unfamiliarity of the car

>Do you guys genuinely think old BMW's are superior to new ones
Yes. The E39 was the last driver oriented 5 series.

It's not about the money. I prefer my '01 750iL to my '12 760LI. I mean yea, the N73 has significantly more power anywhere in the range then the M72, but that old V12 is still fun for me.

Then there's the S62. That's just sex, imho...

Also, this...

agreed 100% 2 people just agreed over the internet
Im sure the new ones are insanely fun to drive and much easier to drive fast than old ones but for a true car enthusiast i would say the old ones are much more inline. Being able to buy a e30 for 500 and tinkering is loads of fun for me. On the other hand it would be a nightmare for some rich dude that just wants something to hop in and go. I think saying better or worse doesn't really give anything in this situation. Each car has things its good and bad at.

Not only does it make you a faggot it makes you dumb. The only people that will notice is fat neckbeards like ourselves. A run of the mill girl wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a fully built 1000 hp versavce designed m5 and a base 323i
They care if you have a "nice" car not an enthusiast car. if you have a 2016 camary you are at the absolute apex of what pussy your car will get you before you have to start paying

I like the m42 e30s, but def need to rebuild the motors because of timing chain guides, oil valves and trust bearings. With those factory flaws fixed the motors are pretty gud