So, im finally swapping the smogged out lamaise 350 on my 74 nova and i found a 5.3 for 500 and a 4.8 for 350

So, im finally swapping the smogged out lamaise 350 on my 74 nova and i found a 5.3 for 500 and a 4.8 for 350.
Which engine should o go with? Also, should i mate the new block to my old th350? Or should i go for a newer tranny like a 4l80 or a 700r4?
Im thinking mate it to my old th350 but i want some outside opinions. My budget for the build and all the parts is just under 3k.
Alternatively,
>what build would you do with this car Veeky Forums?

Ill post a few of the other toys ive had and some before and after nova shots

First day with her. Glad the img is so low res you cant see me kek

Babys first bath.
I kept some of the original baby puke green for racing stripes.

My white friends say the el camino is mexican af. My mexican friends say its white trash. Good thing im both.

In retrospect painting the bike was a bad idea....

$900 el camino? Who gives a shit rattlecan the bitch until you fix the other shit too.

Came out ok.
>$50 worth of spray can.

Whoops! Not even straight :/
Shits crooked like muh dick.

Triple 850 special.
Fun but a little anemic desu

She matches the nova! Kinda.....

My fun dd car for while im working on my extrafun cars

Not the slowest v8 ive had but shes not impressive as a stock 98 gt

Im swimming in chevy 350s. I even have a diesel olds 350 in the garage. And i hate that fucker with a passion.

Dirty girl....

Thats all for now. Ill post some of the nicer rides ive seen from around town later

do you mean malaise?

Cool thread OP, I'm enjoying the pictures. Sorry I don't have any advice to contribute, ive never worked with a th350, only the 400

700R4: Worst possible transmission choice.
Very wide first to second gear spread. First gear is a 3.06 ratio Second is a 1.62 ratio. This nearly equates to skipping from first to third gear with a manual trans. This kills acceleration when these trans go into second gear. Compare this to a TH350. First gear at 2.52 ratio and second gear is 1.52. Do the math, faggot. The 3.06 first gear is so low that any final gear of above 3.55 or numerically higher will have you right at the max rpm at around 35 mph, only to then have your car fall on its face when it hits second gear, feeling like it skipped a gear. Wheel spin is uncontrollable upon hard launches, unless you have a very tall final gear, and then you can for sure count on going nowhere quickly when second gear comes in. Overdrive would be totally useless at highway speed regardless of detuning with a tall final gear, unless you were cruising at around 100 mph. Huge cost to build up. Don't even consider a stock rebuild to handle 500 hp or more. Under hard use, the 700R4 will fail quickly. Limited as to what level these can be built up to. High performance transmission builders and parts suppliers don't even recognize this as a serious transmission. More complex to build than a TH350 and far more expensive, especially when built up to handle high hp numbers. Having to run a cumbersome throttle value cable to the carb linkage. This feature actually serves a good purpose, but if not set properly, it can destroy your transmission quickly. Very critical adjustment, and often overlooked. The overdrive is actually useless with engines running decent size cams. Stall converters are double the cost of the one run in a TH350. You must detune an engine considerably to operate the overdrive and be able to tolerate the first to second gear drop. Could be classified as the worst mismatch of parts known on a true street car.

4L60E Electronically controlled trans.
No TV cable to deal with or shifting linkage. It has pump pressure control and shifting via electronics. Not much good to say about this expensive trans. It is virtually a 700R4 with a modern twist. Most of the same issues as the 700R4. Terrible choice. Very expensive to build up to a high power handling level. Can cost up to $4,000 to build this trans up to a decent level. Computer controlled engines may require this unless you bypass the car’s computer system. Complex. Very complex! Pointless to run such a terrible transmission. If you insist on such a trans, the 4L80E is a better choice, as it has a normal gear spread, and is a much stronger trans. Still pointless.

TH350: Best transmission choice, hands down.
Excellent gear spread between all three gears. Very low cost to build up to various levels of power handling. Can be built up to extreme power handling capabilities. Most all transmission shops are capable of building these to at least level 1 or 2. No TV cable to deal with. Stall converters are low in cost, and the selection is broad. Very reliable and simple to repair if needed.
Cons
• None, simply none! Select a final gear that will allow you the best overall performance and one that allows a decent off the line acceleration, and one that will be in a tolerable rpm range at highway speed. You must have the correct stall converter for optimal performance. This can make a huge difference in the way your vehicle accelerates.
• These are becoming scarce, but there are still plenty of them around, and high performance parts are easily obtained.
• You may have to go through this long story to your less than knowledgeable friends as to why you didn't choose a 700R4, and when you explain it to them, they may still think you don't know what you’re talking about. Faggots.

That's some spicy pasta.

Just put a T5 in it

rebuild the 350 into a 383 stroker. best bang for buck you gonna get without doing a LS swap.
dont go more than 10:1 on the compession ratio or you will have to run straight proopane. (yes bbq gas)

the LS will need a motor mounts, trans mounts, wiring upgrade etc. more than your budget will allow.

if you want a newer tranny get a th700. yes its same as th350 but got 4th gear for cruising. the other 2 boxes you mentioned need ecu to run them and you havent got one of those and they wont run without one.

This
Bore and stroke with new big smog heads better intake manifold and headers plus carb and your Gucci. Th350 is fucking tight transmission I have a streetfighter th350 behind a supercharged desmogged 79 sbc

>newer tranny
Oh yeah.

New non smog heads* also cam and valve job obviously

Also you will need to ditch the oem carb if it's designed to run with EGR and AIR and heat riser it won't run right without them

Go to /CCG/

Coworkers baby

So keep my th350?
Personally im swapping to the ls because i dont plan on going over 450hp and im tired of rebuilding my 350's for a while.
I have an extra '75 350 out of a k1500 that im currently rebuilding into a 383 for another project. I just want to dd my nova again with a reasonable and fairly low maintenance engine. I thought the modern twist might be fun and im already budgeted for the new crossmember, fuel system, and wiring job.

Personally I'd just pull the 350 and rebuild it/desmog it. That way you don't have to fuck with custom mounts and all that shit. If you're dead set on a newer LS motor, I believe the TH350 will bolt up to the gen 3 small blocks but you need a few odds and ends to mate it to the flywheel properly.