Give me some pros and cons on the Porsche Boxster 2004 986

Give me some pros and cons on the Porsche Boxster 2004 986

Expensive pile of shit with problems, get an s2k instead

get a 996 911 instead if you want zero problems
although the 986 had the ims bearing issue it didn't have much else to go wrong with it

>Pros
Bitches will love it
>Cons
It's not a 3k civic

car needs to be able to be driven for pros to be calculated
until then there are only cons

996 had the IMS too didn't it?

oh whoops, you're right
thankfully it's a once in the life of the car thing, so if you just look for one that's already done it, you're golden

yeah by now buying a used 986 boxster or 996 911 if the owner hasn't done it I'd be wary

boomermobile

cons are 20 year old sedans will toast it on the highway, and 50 year old wannabes drive it.

>pros
You and Linda from accounting can talk about your fun cars at the water cooler.
>cons
The only thing doucheier than a new low end Porsche is a used low end Porsche.

pros
>its fast
>good on tight courses
>cons
>its a old lady car
>id assume you were an asshole
>its overpriced

987 Boxster S owner here, I am not a huge fan of the 986 boxster, and buying one with the original IMS bearing is one of the dumbest things you could do. Make SURE that's been updated before purchasing.

t. old lady in her 50s who drives a sports car like a commuter

>Pros
- Only issue that may grenade engine is IMS, a $3k fix. Many used cars had this done already
- WIll appreciate over next 10 years b/c no other mid-engine competitor. New Boxsters have 4 cylinder
- Maximum performance/comfort value right now
- Is a "Poursh"
- No one honks or cuts you off
- Basic maintenance (oil, filters, brakes) are easy DIY and save you $$$.
- Most reliable German brand (Made in Germany = True German quality)

>Cons:
- Little trunk/cargo space
- May require a $3k repair if not done (can be 25 - 60% or car's value depending on year/mileage)
- Parts are pricey

t. 986 Boxster daily driver.

>cons include what others think

>pros
cheap (for 986 at least)
fun
mid-engine
>cons
kinda ugly
kinda fat

>pros: its a porsche
>cons: its not a 911
>its slow
>its overpriced
>getting cucked by corvettes and brostangs

car guys know its not cool and girls know that a guy that needs a car like this to "get girls" has a tiny penis

the only people impressed with these are misinformed

>coming from the 19 year old kid who thinks a base model 11 year old boxster is the best performance for dollar available

its almost the worst

t.virgin
its all about the looks baby

1. There are newer and faster and more reliable bmw 135is out there in the same price range.
2. 986 has one of the worst interiors of all time. It was cheap and it was from the 90s. It is hideous. Beyond hideous. Its appalling. All cars from this era are pretty fucking bad now. But this is the era Porsche was on life support so they cut the costs and put in an economy car interior. It aged liked fucking piss. The parts are cheap and degraded and awful. Literally NO ONE will be impressed getting in this thing. It will be the opposite.
3. The wheels are ugly
4. Its really fun to drive, even the base 201 hp version.
5. You get a porsche VIN so you can join the Porsche club and get access to track day at some of the best tracks around. Indy GP course, Watkins Glen, etc.
6. The engine shares parts with the boxster S which shares parts witht he 986. Meaning you can easily tune a base with some quick parts exchanges to get it close to the S speed.
7. The interior is so ugly you wont feel bad stripping it for sports seats and carbon fiber with racing panel.
8. With weight reduction the HP to weight ration can match the 996.
9. The autotragic is ocmplete ass. Dont bother.
10. When I was in Germany I saw one of these. It had a big fat fucking african dude in it.

Basically get this car if you are willing to strip it and put in racing parts to make a spec version.

Otherwise you are wasting your time chasing a badge.

The only reason these still exists is because Porsches will sell 20 years old. But that doesn't necessarily mean they are worth keeping.

The chasis is old and probably bends, wires are going to start failing due to age, and the engine itself was not Porsches best.

Really, really, only do it if you are going to upgrade it to spec. Otherwise get a camaro or 135i in the same price range.

>Made in Germany
actually the boxster and cayman are made in finland, which honestly I trust them more

is the 996 911 viable as a daily driver?