Next month, my uncle is passing on his Lancer to me since he hit it big with bitcoin and cashed out last week...

Next month, my uncle is passing on his Lancer to me since he hit it big with bitcoin and cashed out last week. Through pictures and reasonable assumption, its a 2012ish base model Lancer with a CVT.

Here's the thing Veeky Forums. I want to go absolutely nuts with it. If it makes sense to put money in it, I would like to enhance it's power/looks. I just want to know the potential this car may or may not have. I do not want to put more than $5000 into it, but again if its for serious perfomance gains, I can look into it. I was thinking I could possibly add on a turbo? Maybe do an engine swap? I'm still new to cars and wanted an informed opinion.

I was supposed to get a used 2016 Miata or a used 2015 Mustang GT both with MTs but now im "stuck" with a nice free econobox.

Suspension upgrades are the best cheap thing you can do that matters besides ecu tune unless the headers are terrible

Fast in fast out

It's a pretty soulless generic econo-box, just properly maintain it. There's better ways to spend your money.

Trade it in.

Use like 1-2k of that 5k to modify it a little to your tastes, maybe some wheels, lower it, exhaust or something, and save the rest for the miata or mustang. The lancer isnt really worth modifying unless you have a Ralliart/Evo. It would cost obscene amounts of money and still be slower than if you spend the same amount of money on the Mustang/Miata

At the end of the day you'll spend $5000 and still be slower than a 86, so you'll have that going for you I guess.

>cvt
it's worthless. tell him to be a bro and get a civic for 3k with a manual instead.

lmao
this is bait

Yeah maybe I can re-do the whole exhaust system and think about an ECU tune

I'm just thinking of the possibilities, user. Coming from a '98 Corolla, I have always wanted to tune my own car.

Naw, that would be an insult to my uncle

Yeah I was afraid you guys would say that. Maybe I can use this car to learn/experiment about upgrading a car.

He's going for a nice new Lexus. He's not buying me anything.

>possibilities
>base model cvt lancer
pick 1 lmao

Your uncle gave you the gift of equity. A cheap shitty car thats in good condition is ripe for a 6-8k trade in.
Or more.
That could be nearly 33% of a new mustangs whole financing.

Trading it or selling it isn't really an option. In my position, its a massive "fuck-you" to my uncle if I do it. We are good friends and this is not how I plan to repay him.

Don't put a evo body kit on it.

Simple upgrades like better exhaust system, fuel regulator and ECU tweaks. as well as better looking wheels and maybe a rear wing.

t. 2011 lancer SX owner.

Arent all Mitsubishi CVT besides Evo?

>exhaust system
>CVT 4 banger

there's some fag with a lancer with a huge fart can and its fucking OBNOXIOUS. same piece of shit cvt

>Using precious helium for your selfish suicide needs
Please do not, thanks

2.5" exhaust can increase HP

>increase HP

from slow to slow and loud

pretty gay bro. coming from a huge mitsubishi fan

its not an enthusiast car. just maintain it and keep it clean until the cvt explodes

>I want to go absolutely nuts with it
>I don't want to put more than $5k into it

You gotta be willing to put more than 5000 into it, especially since you need to replace cvt with proper gearbox

CVT on those overheats like fucking mad if you drive it hard, if you add any power you will be replacing the CVT every 30k.

Maybe look into something to cool the CVT first? I don't know shit about them so I don't know if you can add an auxiliary fluid cooler to fix it.

Don't do anything because that ct will kill it.
If it was a 6 speed auto, i would say go for something. Just cherish it, and upgrade to a ralliart or Evo if you end up liking it.

If you drive the car above 90mph or "aggressively" your car will display "SLOW DOWN" on the dash and start cutting throttle until it comes to a stop. Once the CVT in these reaches temperature limit it will stop the car to save the transmission.

It's probably the worst car you could possibly put money into.

>CVT
>I wanna go absolutely nuts bro
>new to cars

there's no way this thread is serious, it has to be bait I refuse to believe anyone can be this retarded

I don't plan on a body kit, unless it is subtle. Nothing crazy. I like your idea of a rear wing though.

Straight piping it would be a no-no, but I'm looking for some HP gains with an engine that can actually breathe

read the post again faggot. I can consider doing more if the gains are fucking worth it.

Alright sure. Suppose I have $10,000 to throw away. What can I do it?

Oh that's a fucking disappointment. I mean, I (usually) won't be pushing it past 75 on the back roads near my place, but will I get in trouble with a lead foot?

CVTs man. Can't do anything to this car cause of the fucking cvt

This is my first real car, as my previous one was a '98 Corolla. Thats why im asking for Veeky Forums's opinion, dipshit.

Engine swap and replace cvt with manual
But there are much better cars to do such things on

well, you could buy another cheap car and mod the fuck out of it since you already have a reliable DD if you fuck up the project. Modding this thing is just pointless.

>cvt
Nothing to do here.

>insure
>Park in negro neighbourhood
>??????
>buy the car you actually want

and a couple of jdm stickers should bump another 50hp

5hp gainz for each sticker