Hi Veeky Forums

Hi Veeky Forums,

I am being offered a 2004 GMC Yukon with 180,000 miles for $1,500. Should I take it and run, or run far away? It'd be my first car. Thanks!

>i'm being offered
shouldn't you be the one doing the offering? run away. you can't afford the gas and for $1500 it's not mint so it's shit.

If you can afford the gas and want the truck, take it to a mechanic and have them inspect it. Costs about a hundred bucks and identifies any major problems that might come up.

Depends on the condition,

I almost bought an 01 Suburban, but the dealer was a bunch of fags who didn't want to sell me the truck cause "I was asking to many questions."

Instead I have a 99 Tahoe. 137k miles currently, $2,500. Your 5.3 is more top end power, and my 5.7 is more low end. So it realy comes down to condition and what you want in a vehicle.

P.S. Have fun paying for gas wherever you live :^)

It's not the one in the picture. Guy is a family friend and a mechanic, so condition should be fairly decent and it's 1 owner. Condition is decent. Gas mileage is spooky tho yeah.

> #
>It's not the one in the picture
That's not very helpful at all.

Replace the tranny and it'll do another 180k. It's probably on it's last legs with that mileage and at that price.

Offer him 750. He either takes it or leaves it

X2 on that I own an 04 tahoe same thing and the tranny slipped it gears at 185k miles fuxk 4l60e's. So add another 1k and you got your self a good truck, as long as it was maintained properly. Also gear oil needs replacement. Besides the shit gas mileage you can get another 100k with no major problems

Take it and run! These can easily do 300k, and parts are cheap and easy to get.

Honestly, it wouldn't be a bad vehicle. The gas will kill you, if you are poor. It is a very thirsty vehicle that has a 26 gallon fuel tank. Expect about 17 mpg. The early 2000s GM SUVs had a full truck chassis and a very good 5.3L V8. Expect that thing to go 250k+ miles, provided it doesn't get consumed by rust if you live in the salt-belt.

>bitching about slipping.
You are a pussy, you know that? I got 290k on the same trans and sure it slips but it still chugs along.

>t. Mint 04 Suburban z71

Yes,

and these tranny replacement posters- simma down now. You can do a lot with new fluid and a filter or valve body services without rebuilding a tranny.

This is a great deal if it is rust free and otherwise sound. It is comfortable, reliable and cheap & easy to maintain. If you don't want it give up the link to it so I can buy it.

Everybody's Dad's friend is a mechanic apparently.

Well yeah you might as well drive it till it dies completely though it would suck having your tranny shit out completely in the middle of nowhere.

Slipping in an automatic transmission is never good. This can cause excessive heating of parts, which will fail catastrophically due to heat-cycling damage; in other words, extreme heating and cooling and heating again is very bad for the materials, and they will fail.

>SoCal
>middle of nowhere

>original owner at 138k said the transmission likes to lag between from stop where it feels like it doesn't move as fast as it should then a little jerk and you're off
>here we are at 290k with it still doing the same thing occasionally.

I already replaced one in my truck when it started doing that. That was 2k for a new trans at 175k.

Fortunately the guy is def a mechanic.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll go see it/test drive it, and see if I'll pull the trigger.

That's a damn good deal desu

Dude I pulled the trans out of my 92, went and had it rebuilt on the cheap like a dipshit, put it back in the truck all of this with only with shitty scissor jacks, then I drove the truck maybe 50 miles before the trans shit on me completly going down the freeway. Now I've got a trans with only 5k miles on it but it makes this fuck you loud clicking noise and it's got me bamboozled because it's definitely not the flywheel bolts and I'm no transmission guy.

Bump

For 1500 it's a steal.

I wouldn't DD it, but use it for projects/bad weather/camping trips

If your trans slips it's not mint.

>guy is def a mechanic.
run run run

Must Suck being poor.

It does :(

offer $1000 and tubesteak in trade

'03 tahoe here
my 5.3 is at 248k and still running good but 2nd gear is gone.
really comfy, really bad mpgs.