I have 5k to buy a car. I'm 21 and need something thats reliable and can take minor road trips in

I have 5k to buy a car. I'm 21 and need something thats reliable and can take minor road trips in.

Is my only fucking option honda civics/camry/ford focus? Fuck there so goddamn boring, even a Jeep Cherokee seems exciting at this point. Help me Veeky Forums, I can't stand the idea of getting a fucking civic

Other urls found in this thread:

sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1978-pontiac-firebird/6446054751.html
raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/subaru-impreza-25i-all-wheels/6448212243.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/honda-preludeth-gen/6451452325.html
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-blue-honda-prelude-manual/6456663435.html
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/mitsubishi-eclipse/6439662602.html
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/99-sonoma-sls/6408493048.html
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-toyota-celica-clean-title/6443167406.html
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-mazda-miata-se/6458675277.html
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2005-ram-1500-quad-cab-v8/6458840714.html
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-volvo/6456526782.html
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1990-volvo-240-dl/6456335956.html
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1988-honda-wagon/6457898800.html
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-buick-park-avenue48k/6457467272.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Well, get a bus pass then. Or stop being a fucking autist and realize there's a reason they're sought after.

get an old fucking maxima with a v6 or something if you need to be special.

Does every other car just break instantly?

I dont need to be a snowflake but a civic depresses me

Ford Ranger or Toyota Tacoma if you're okay with a truck and the 23-26 MPG.

99 sentra

Buick park avenue

If you are willing to foot the bills for more expensive repairs, there's a ton of cars in the 5k range.

Audi A4s still get good mileage but are going to cost more to repair. Older ones can be had from $1500-$4k.

You might be able to pick up an A3 with a VR6 for around 5k, but it will probably be FWD.

Lots of other stuff in that price range. Newer Jettas, Passats. Better interiors than civics and the jetta 5 cylinder is bulletproof.

GTIs can be had for $5k and are more fun.

Maybe a high mileage G35/7 that's beat to shit.

really depends what you want breh.

what about this user

sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1978-pontiac-firebird/6446054751.html
am i fucking retarded

also i genuinely appreciate your answer

My nigga, let me tell you what you gotta do

Get a first generation Scion xB.

Sure, some people love the look, some people hate the look. But guess what? It's roomy as shit, every person that stepped into mine always said how it had so much more space than they thought. It's no frills, no stupid electronic shit or eco shit or turbo to break and cost you 4k in repairs. It's great on gas, on road trips i would average close to 40MPG, in the city i would average low to mid 30's. It's a hatch with a seat that folds down, tons of space to move shit around. AND it's a retardedly reliable engine. Read up on it. Most xB's run for 500k+ miles without any issue. Everytime I took it to a Toyota dealer for scheduled service, without fail, they would tell me about how mine was just barely getting started because it was only at 190k, and they would tell me about people that brought theirs in with 300, 400, 500k miles that haven't had to do any sort of work besides normal service.

I loved that car to death and it was reliable as shit and it had way more space and was way more fun to drive than a fucking camry. And it had a HUGE aftermarket following, so you can still customize it if you want and parts are still cheap if you need anything.

Find a first gen xB under 100k miles or around 100k. Theyre all around 3.5k-4k now, and most have great service records. They're fun as shit to drive too. The long wheelbase makes cornering fucking amazing, and theyre zippier than you would think. Not fast, but you could definitely hoon it around twisty windy roads.

Can you work on cars?
Do you care about it being comfortable for you and others?

Your answers need to be Yes and No in that order to daily drive that thing.

Also it's a V6 so just throw it straight into the trash regardless.

If you want murrica V8s you can find 1999-2004 mustangs pretty cheap and they're pretty reliable. Camaros of the same era are good to but usually more expensive.

I just like the look of it. Any estimate of how much $ a year that car would cost me?

You've got me excited for a Scion user, I'll look into them. Thanks

From $0 to $8,000. With a car that old there's really no way to tell. It could be totally fool-proof for years or the engine could shit itself 2 months into you owning it.

A car that old with that low of miles generally means it's sat a lot, in which case all of the rubber lines on the engine are probably toast, brakes probably need work, etc.

Well, I might be a Scion man anyways.
Are Jeep Cherokees from the 2000s dogshit? There is so many of them by me for pretty cheap

heres a faggy car picture i have saved

>Chrysler product from the early 2000's

Honestly I wouldn't wish that on anyone

(there's a reason theres so many so cheap)

Thanks anons, you guys answered all my questions.

Have a nice night fellas

What's wrong with V6?

spend 6k on an e46

Why get a sportscar that's slower than a pick-up truck or family sedan?

raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/subaru-impreza-25i-all-wheels/6448212243.html

Not op but can anyone give me their thoughts on this?

buy something you want that you can afford and stop being a bitch

When your budget is $5k, you don't want exciting.
Exciting cars come with troubles and troubles cost money.

Spend that $5k on a early-to-mid 2000s Civic. It is the most exciting car in the world? No, but it sure beats the hell out of walking.

Just buy literally any goddamn used car and learn how to fix it yourself.

sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/honda-preludeth-gen/6451452325.html

Looks like the owner actually gave a shit about his Prelude. Might be worth checking out

The '99-'01 Cherokees can be good, but you have to be picky and know what to look for. Firstly, you want to find a 4x4, ideally under 150k on the odometer. The biggest issue with them is a potential cracked cylinder head, since they have an issue with cracks when overheated. You have to look for a couple things. Open the oil fill cap on the valve cover and look down at the head with a flashlight. The "good" revised heads have "TUPY" cast on them. If you don't see this, you need to carefully look for a faint oil+water foam line or the color green there before and after the test drive. Before driving, look at the cooling system to see how well it was taken care of. Is the underside of the radiator cap clean, or does it have chunks of corrosion on it? Is the coolant in the overflow bottle clear and greenish, or is it brown? Are the hoses new and flexible, or brittle and cracking? Is the belt tight?

Check the oil dipstick and see if it is full. Wipe it on a white paper towel to see if it has a good yellow to very light brown color that indicates regular oil changes. Check the Transmission fluid to make sure it's red to pink, not brown and doesn't smell like shit.

If it passes all these, crawl underneath with a flashlight and firmly wiggle all the front end suspension components. You want it to have no movement and all the bushings to be existent.

Now look for rust under there all along the frame rails. Open the doors and check for rust around the floor of the thresholds.

When you test drive it, the temperature gauge should go up to around 210F in 5-10 minutes and stay there. The oil pressure should be about 50 from a cold start, then slowly move down to about 30 in 10 minutes without bouncing around quickly. It should be at around 40-50 at highway speeds. After you stop, get out and look for wet spots around the water pump, try to smell for coolant and recheck the head under the valve cover. If the ride was fine, too, you're good.

I believe the going rate for a good late model XJ from a private seller is around $3000. A nearly perfect one is around $5000. Do some homework, and be prepared to spend $1000-2000 replacing some shit in the next few years. These things are almost 20 years old, so it's pretty normal. I think XJ's were great cars.

I got bored and am a sacfag myself. Enjoy:

sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-blue-honda-prelude-manual/6456663435.html

sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/mitsubishi-eclipse/6439662602.html
Would make a decent shitbox with some shekels thrown at it

sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/99-sonoma-sls/6408493048.html

sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-toyota-celica-clean-title/6443167406.html

sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-mazda-miata-se/6458675277.html

sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2005-ram-1500-quad-cab-v8/6458840714.html

also from sac
take these

sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-volvo/6456526782.html

sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1990-volvo-240-dl/6456335956.html

or even this. not boring at all with that honda MT, just don't rice it if u really get it.

sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1988-honda-wagon/6457898800.html

Second. You can cop a supercharged Park Avenue and fucking smoke everyone in their riced Si

2001 buick park avenue......48k miles
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-buick-park-avenue48k/6457467272.html

Ohhhh SHIT SON. This is 2 good to pass up

Get a Lexus GS300 / 400

Those cars last forever and they look awesome. I bought mine in 2003 (it is a 1999) and I drive it every day. I love how quiet it is and how reliable it is. Plus there are lots of mods you can get if you want to "VIP" your car to customize it to your taste.

Crown vic