Car modifying

Tell me Veeky Forums, how hard is it to modify your car in your country?
For eg, in my country, you need official paper and approval if you want to put bigger wheels on your car....
Not to mention the bodywork: if you want to put on custom body kits, you need official papers, and an engineering office to make simulations and test to get approval.
Police can even take your papers if you don't have the right type of bulbs in your headlight.

Do you run illegal?
Or do you have all papers right?

Discuess

Other urls found in this thread:

t.me/joinchat/Ar3cGQHFBXg8lzRg7CQcMw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Depends on each state (USA) since some have somewhat strict rules while others have none, or nearly none. Example: I have a Florida plate and am a FL resident, so I generally follow their rules. I was pulled over twice in Virginia for having tint that was too dark and an exhaust that was too loud, for VA rules. Since the car was registered in FL, they never actually gave me a ticket, just said "fix your car to VA regulations" and let me go.

I also don't have cats and could modify my car to high hell and FL doesn't really give a shit.

>pulled over in VA for exhaust too loud
I got pulled over for exactly the same thing in VA; and I also had an out of state car...

I live in california so it's damn near impossible to have any fun with your car just because of smog laws. Wanna do an engine swap? Better be an engine that's the same model year or newer and make sure that it was an option from the factory for that car, and make sure all your emissions related hardware (including the oem gas tank) have to be in the exact same configuration (physical placement, # of cats, etc) or it's not legal.

Did they give you a ticket? The first time they gave me the "this is a warning cause first time" and second time they asked right off the bat "have you been pulled over for this before?" I assumed they just ran my plate and saw that yes I have been pulled over before so I said yes I have. Still no ticket, just another "well you need to get lighter tint and change your exhaust". Didn't do either but never got pulled over again after that.

That sounds pretty disgusting. Here I could technically swap a top fuel engine into a civic. As long as your insurance company knows your car is modified it's all good. That doesn't mean you won't get pulled over every 2 minutes though.

germany sucks

I don't even bother, stock for life
t. swissanon

We don't like you out of state boyracers. Take your miata somewhere else.

It was neat when I had an older subaru. AWD means they don't put it on a dyno or do any kind of proper emissions check. They just hook to the ECU to see if it says any sensors are reading wrong and do a visual inspection to see if I have a catalytic converter and there aren't any leaks.

The rest is all just safety inspection. Make sure the turn signals work, the horn works, the brakes and tires aren't busted, that sort of thing. Didn't even care that my windows were tinted a little bit too dark for state regs.

No papers ever. And if I wanted to do something illegal I'm sure I could find a shop around to give it a green light as long as it wasn't ridiculous and they could claim I'd changed something after the inspection. Such is life in a reasonably free state.

>Bong fag
you can do what ever you want
we have a yearly emissions and safety inspection. Its just a general check to make sure the brakes work and chassis isn't rusted out to fuck. If you need a cat to pass emissions you can just remove it afterwards.
Insurance with mods is no problem. I've insured cars with nitrous on the road.

That's pretty nice. We have literally no inspections in my state, but I wouldn't complain if we had something like that. I'd almost prefer it if we had some basic safety inspection to be honest.

Stricter than the state I'd lived in prior. At first I thought it was lame when they actually did a tailpipe sniff on my previous FWD car and it just barely made the HC and NOx limit because the cat was like from the 1800s and I'd tweaked the carb and cranked the timing to get that holy +5HP out of it.

But on the other hand it hit me before long that even in the run down neighborhoods, you really didn't see clearly busted falling apart smoking cars. So maybe a little regulation isn't the worst thing in the world regardless of particular principles about government.

>t. swissanon
Get in our neutralland WAT chat.
t.me/joinchat/Ar3cGQHFBXg8lzRg7CQcMw

I run modified for week-ends.

I could literally do anything, no inspections of any kind where I live.

britbong here
laws arent so bad
police dont care unless your car is obnoxiously loud, covered in canards or exposed jagged metal
insurance companys in europeland are jews tho,
they will double your shit for putting on a sticker.
i havnt done anything yet but im not gonna tell them shit i do to my car, and i dont expect them to pay to cover my mods in a crash anyway to i wont ask them to if they realize its modded.

i used to think england was a bad place for car culture but after hearing storys sbout cuckholes likc cuckifornia and whatever eu kikekhole op is from im glad i live here

>living in cali
theres your problem

is that a fucking twin supercharger?
thats gotta be a sema car right?

>Building stuff in Cali that's post 1975

>Hey man. We supercharged your supercharger so you can supercharge while you supercharge.

>insurance with mods is no problem
how old are you and who are you using? every time I look up how much mods are going to be it end up being stupidly expensive
t. 20 yr old corsa owner

I can do whatever I like as long as it has all the appropriate lights, a rear plate, and fenders.
TECHNICALLY you're not supposed to run catless but you can get away with it because no inspections.
Thanks Florida.

you got to know a guy in commifornia

there are no car regulations in Minnesota as long as your car makes the standard USA rules of having functional headlights & taillights. There are no smog emission rules either. They do check tint & will cite you if things are too dark. Some tint is fine & not a big deal

can do anything because rural 3rd world, you just need to pay your taxes and u will be allowed to drive

im moving to africa and becoming a rich warlord and building mighty offroad monster race cars out of shitboxes and using them to rule the land

In Georgia, if you rebuild a car but it has to pass inspection, but if it has never been rebuilt then you never have to get another inspection. And if you are lucky and title your cars in a non-emissions county you can literally do whatever the fuck you want.

T. No cats, egr, O2 sensors, tail pipes, etc etc etc

>twin supercharger
Yes.
Not a sema car. Something some boomer built because he could

Funny how the state with probably the best driving conditions has the most cucked car laws

Car is obnoxiously loud and barely (not really) street legal, the only thing I really get bothered for is tints. Regardless I’ve never had an issue getting an inspection

>his country unironically restricts what you can do with your own private property

Well, technically it's quite expensive to do engine swap in here because of the paperwork. Other than that only loud noise is the thing that police would notice. Unfortunately we are poor AF, I mean I'm an mechanical engineer and I barely make 400 $ a month

Wtf do you do getting $400 a month as a mechanical engineer??

Holy fuck I'd love to see the mounting points flex as that car just casually pushed into motion and the engine tilted back and forth.
Should have given it a lift kit instead and made it a brushed steel look, instant Mad Max beast car.

A fair bit of hassle here in Aus. No dump pipes, etc. are the usual complains to go to. I've never found cops in Vic that shitty, though I've heard in other states it's much worse (I'm looking at you NSW and Queensland).
Overall you can really do what you'd like within reason. The rules we do have established generally let you get away with a fair bit of what you want. Where they'll start coming down on you is if you start trying to do some Roadkill-level bullshit.

also a swissfag and therefore a stockfag
the only way to have fun with your car is actually having two cars: one DD and one for the local hillclimbs. although it's getting expensive really quickly if you race and don't have a fully equipped garage.

Pizzaland here, formally you shouldn't modify your car without having a nulla-osta from the manufacturer, but here literally no one fucking cares if you modify your car, just don't touch the DPF as that is the only thing that will seriously rustle authorities jimmies

In the UK-virtually impossible as a young driver
Very easy as an older driver. Very few legal restrictions but insurance fucks over younger drivers, especially with even slight mods like aftermarket wheels or brakes

VA cops need to get a life desu
paul blart tier

oi m8 ye got a buttuh knoif lisinse in their?

I think doing their job is kinda the opposite of not having a life user

>declaring mods
are you intending to crash into someone?
claim ignorance m8, "it was like that when i got it, im not a fucking mechanic how am i meant to know my corsa didnt have 18's and a c20let as standard"

>pulling someone over from a different state for following their state's regulations
>doing their job
not really
though normally people I know who've driven through virgina got pulled over for going 15 or something over, but other states don't seem to give a fuck. or because they were a brainlet and couldn't understand a wordy parking sign

If you do to another state you're expected to respect its laws. And 25km/h over is pretty significant in most places, especially on surface streets. The speed limit on most highways in Virginia is 75mph and 90+ is really pushing it, not to mention doing more than 80 is reckless driving anyway. If you know this and still choose to break the law especially to that degree you have no one to blame but yourself.

>c20let
>not v6
displacelet detected

>km/h
whiter than you mohammed

t. 56%

Why bother though? Country roads are full of radars/police and even when there's none, you'll be stuck behind a guy in Skoda or a Citroen doing 30km/h. Highways are going to be limited to 80km/h nationwide within the next five years if women continue to run this country. Already thinking about moving desu.

Just tonight I went for a little cruise after 8pm...roads full of faggots doing 20 below speed limits.

I live in Commiefornia, but FUCK IT.

Catback exhaust, staggered 20's, custom intake w/ aggressive tune.

Cop don't bother me, even If I speed or make a right turn on red with them around. One cop bro even gave me a thumbs up as a drove by him, they all seem to like Mustangs.

As long as you know the under the table smog spots and you're not too obnoxious in your driving habits you'll be fine.

I'm not a savage that makes me hack up cars to "enjoy them," but here in Texas I see (and hear) a ton of cars that clearly have illegal mods but the cops usually don't care. I saw some hacked up Mustang with no wiper blades on the other day. There used to also be this Mexican in my town that had like a '95 Ford Taurus that he must have spent $15k or more on. Had retarded Lambo doors, green LED head lamps and some rims that literally stuck out a foot on each side. Sometimes you would see him drive without the green head lights and rims. My guess the cops would pull him over every once in awhile.

Goddamn, the Boss kit is sex on wheels, I'd get it if the kit wasn't $5k, which is still cheaper than the cheapest S14 on Craigslist.

Uh, I work in car factory. My main job is to develop local parts for model produce in our factory.

It's a crap shoot. Depending on the modification, the parts used and the inspector it can be as easy as having him take a look at it for five minutes, or as hard as having to produce manufacturer type approvals, testing certificates and all sorts of shit. That's why tuning companies are so numerous in Germany. It's going to cost you more, but they'll make sure everything that's done is entered in the papers and you're legally in the clear.

I've seen everything from cars that I wouldn't have expected to pass inspections in a million years (pic related) being plated and driving around on public roads, to stories about guys being given shit because they wanted to run tires one size "too wide".

And just in case you were wondering, a few things off the top of my head that are wrong with that car by the book:
- no fenders
- front plate obscured
- headlight viewing angles obscured
- sharp edges protruding from body
- no muffler
- passenger side exhaust pointing towards sidewalk
- no wipers
- outside mirrors too small
- inadequate brakes for the power output
But the list probably goes on if a professional looks at it in detail.

Where I live the laws are pretty hardcore but you'll only get bothered if you act like a fuckwit. I've never heard of anyone getting defected without being first pulled over for doing something stupid.

As far as I know, in Canada (maybe just Ontario/Quebec, no idea about others)
>don't fuck with your emissions controls (we have e-tests)
>don't make it too loud
>keep your lights legal (no blue/red/green flashing, basically don't impersonate emergency vehicles)
>if you sell your vehicle, has to pass a safety inspection for the new owner to register it

Seems fairly reasonable to me. Except for basic, logical legal stuff we can do whatever we want. I might be missing random things, but nobody gets pulled over for them if I am.

>brakes for its power output
Fucking what? By that logic a base model Mustang's brakes are good enough for a single-axle International box truck.

Pro tip: they're not.

I don't think you got that right. The brakes are too bad for the output, judging by the engine it has good 300 horses with a lot of torque so you need to upgrade to modern brakes, which does not look like that in the picture.

you cannot slap a 2JZ in a bmw 2 series and not upgrade the brakes, it's to make sure you can actually stop the power

When i was working at mitsu, almost every modified evo came in with a test pipe and a mechanical spacer on the down-stream O2 sensor just to screw with the readings enough so the computer wouldnt flag it and set a DTC.

Rural Kentucky, USA
Anything and everything goes
We have cars that scrape the ground and throw sparks, literal monster trucks, race cars, hoopties with 30 inch chrome wheels
I don't think anyone gets pulled over because I see the same people around with the same cars
One of mine is straight piped, never been pulled over for it

belgium?

I think my insurance company requires me to state the market value of any additional mods. That's about the only documentation.