kidscancode.org/blog/tags/godot/
youtube.com/watch?v=AzGoEWPWrU4
wiki.unrealengine.com/Cel_Shading_Post_Process
github.com/godotengine/godot-demo-projects
youtu.be/vK82B3BjhaA?t=246
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for The Rust Programming Language

Requesting (You) from moneydevs or devs who have made more than $40k

Got any tips? How many games did you make before "making it"?

Do you plan out UI or do you just wing it?
youtube.com/watch?v=KQU3d02yxkE

Quick, reply to me and i'll make you a 3D asset for your game by tomorrow.

Nothing too complex please.

most of those devs are in the discord

Probably need to drag someone out of the discord.

usually plan the basic format, then change it based on game changes, then clean it up based on the new setup

GIVE ME BACK MUH GAME

Do I count if I am currently on track to make more than that this year

Can't decide what to do next.
Block out more areas?
Create textures?
Start working on inventory system?

I'm hoping to hear from $40k + devs that way devs like gogem can't chime in pretending to have advice. Nothing personal up-and-coming-dev.

how are you making that level?

tits

But by that logic you shouldn't even listen to yourself

But I don't seek advice from myself silly head.

>state: just like my hopes and dreams
heh

First I'll draw a top down map on paper then I use ProBuilder to block everything out.
As for the camera changes, I place triggers on the floor that when collided with, it disables all other cameras on the scene, then it activates a camera that is assigned for that particular trigger.

I wasted an hour trying to fix a bug. I say wasted because most of the time was spent checking the wrong place.
Anyway, as anons suggested, I made it so the D-Pad moves to the selected corner. To avoid shooting a line by mistake while trying to select another corner, you have to first hide the D-Pad by pressing the right mouse button.
I also found a bug that I fixed in the old implementation of the line-drawing but not in this one, but I'll fix that tomorrow. i'm pretty satisfied with the progress I made today.

How should I approach learning an engine without getting overwhelmed? I feel really lost with Godot as my first engine, and don't know what I'm doing, even with the Step by Step guide ( docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/learning/step_by_step/index.html ). Some obvious things are overstated, and some important details don't seem to be.

I'm just so lost, and don't know what I'm doing.

Unity does the best at introducing devs to 3D dev and basic coding. If a dev can get comfortable with Unity they will be able to transition to Godot without much trouble.

All you need is the willingness to learn two engines. It's not hard if you're smart.

So I did a silly game jam game about building a wall. You use hotglue to put the pieces together

are you literally hitler

>Some obvious things are overstated, and some important details don't seem to be.
This will happen even with beginner friendly engines like Unity. After years of study they determined the best way to train devs is to throw them into the water and make them swim. So follow the directions and ignore nagging questions in your mind because you'll learn all the finer details naturally as you use the engine beyond the tutorials.

start with an engine with good documentation like unity

Use Unity to learn Godot

my stellar comment from last night:
---- look through existing code! you may have solved thos already!

what is a good meme dev name

You can then use a gun to defend your border

>The cacti wear sombreros
It's always the little things.

If it makes you feel better, as someone who was familiar with gamemaker and now unity, i was feeling really lost with godot too. honestly you just need to keep pushing. i don't know godot too well so i cant give you specific advice, but i would recommend looking up some youtube video tutorials (yes they are annoying as fuck) since they are usually aimed at the lowest common denominator (brand new beginners). i tend to ignore the engine maker's own tutorials when im brand new since developers usually have a hard time explaining how to use something to newbies since they made it. then once you have a basic grasp, go back to them.

t. someone who understand gamemaker because of shaun spalding and understood unity because of brackeys

man seeing this stuff really wants to make me dev for pc vr but its just so expensive

Would you be annoyed by these water dynamics? Especially the ripples on the ponds... I can't have flat surfaces, I want every pixel to be preserved (well I can tolerate how droplets can be lost when interacting with slopes, but incrementing ponds only by whole rows just feels terrible).

Also, the way it spills when ponds overflow: too blocky? I find it satisfying how it does big splashy bursts but maybe it would break some people's immersion and feel buggy...

I would wait for the next generations. Current ones are good enough for some silly projects but you can not make so much more with them. Samsung Gear VR and the new controller is a good starting point.

Glad you liked them.

those running droplets on the surface really take me out, especially on that left bottom pond, where there's an empty space in the second from the top row, for some reason.

seeing this stuff makes me want to puke it's so god damn jittery

am I the only one who plays their game in their head before they even begin the prototype?

Like I haven't even started the project in the editor but I've already fixed movement issues lol

>but you can not make so much more with them
how so? what more can they do? you have high resolution, high refresh rate, fully motion tracked controllers, and room scale. i can't really imagine what else they could add to improve it

6 bad artist habits to avoid
youtube.com/watch?v=lsGhdRsZVQ8
Some of these things apply to gamedev as well as artists.

>you have high resolution
I have a Vive and that's a stretch, I'd say the resolution is absolute borderline acceptable.

thats nice user

People that post vids without summarizing or even adding their own thoughts need to be shot.

kidscancode.org/blog/tags/godot/
This series is good, the godot discord is also a good place to learn.

How does one avoid having their game ruined by the toobs?

I'm trying to begin with 2D, and I like that some of what I'd learn while devving 2D games in Godot could transfer to 3D devving. Unity also includes greater costs, and from what I understand, potentially worse 2D performance.

Godot doesn't seem to have much documentation, but I'm impressed by what it seems to be capable of, and where it's going. If only I could figure out how to use it--pic related, the extent of my Godot skills.

>i tend to ignore the engine maker's own tutorials when im brand new since developers usually have a hard time explaining how to use something to newbies since they made it.

I feel like that exact same issue is hitting here. However...

>i would recommend looking up some youtube video tutorials

There isn't as much documentation for Godot in comparison to other engines like GM, Unity, etc. There's a good number of guides despite that, surprisingly, but I'm not sure which one to dig into. Do any Godot devs here have any suggestions?

>I was feeling really lost with Godot too

So did you end up switching to GM and Unity? What was your path like?

I'm curious what GMS2 vs Godot 3.X would be like. I can't find any input on that comparison anywhere, since G3 is still in the works.

The Oculus rift bundle is on Summer sale for $400. Includes the HMD, controllers, bunch of games, etc. It will go up to $500 with even less stuff after the sale. If you're interested in the VR market, now is the time to chip in.

You can buy from Best Buy if you want to get an additional free game, by the way (EvE Valkyrie, I believe).

I appreciate the link. I'll bookmark it and take a look later today.

make a game that's worth playing for the gameplay

Today I'm gonna program!

contraband dopamine

hey, i got an idea, that took two days. derp

Here is the boss battle.

Put on this in the background before playing webm.
youtube.com/watch?v=AzGoEWPWrU4

The resolution is still pretty low, and the tracking hicks up a lot. Cordless would also be very nice and that seems to be the next step.

>Do any Godot devs here have any suggestions?
I'm not a Godot dev but I remember GDQuest's tutorials in youtube were specifically crowd-funded to create high-quality godot tutorials

After ironing out other issues, back on the step of deciding how to portray planets. Either I make them sprites and slightly animate features like lava, or I go 3D and make them rotate. Not sure which looks better.

I like that overall, but unless it's on a body with motion like it was on a ship, it needs to go up row by row, the empty air patches bother me. I also really like that terrain generation.

Dopamine is important. For motivation!

Nevermind, telling you that I was going to program already gave me the satisfaction I would get if I just programmed. I'm not going to program

>but I'm not sure which one to dig into
Heartbeast though he normally does gamemaker videos has a 4 part godot tutorial. im not sure how conclusive he is but he's worth looking into since he aims for beginners in his videos. if you just go to youtube and search "godot tutorial", there's quite a few different results. just pick one and follow along. if the person is annoying you or going over your head, try another one. no reason not to look around.

>So did you end up switching to GM and Unity? What was your path like?
I started with gamemaker (started with 7 in middle school) so ive just always been attached to it. i wanted to experiment with godot though because i was starting to feel the limitations of gm:s a year or so ago. a couple months ago i wanted to learn how to make 3d games so i learned how to model and gave unity a shot.
they all have their uses so its not like i was "switched" from one to the other. i wouldn't dare use unity for pixel perfect 2d nor would i dare to use gm:s for 3d.

It's okay I shall program for both of us

Fancy sequencing system: everything moves at the same time as long as they don't interact, in which case they wait. Results in minimum turn waiting time.

The surrounding pixels with less opacity are just outlining and I didn't think of them as rows, but it does feel really wrong in cases like this. I can probably use them to hide the irregularities at the surface of ponds instead of just being 1px thick in every direction no matter what. Thanks for the insight.

just keep in mind GDQuest isn't aimed at beginners however, only those new the engine. it's assumed you understand basic programming logic as well as other basic gamedev skills

Is it intentional that one can't claim all tiles?

>go in discord
>ping @unity or @gamemaker
>take the people who show ups advice

it only barely reads as liquid to me. The clumping and some of the back-and-forth surface droplets ruin it. I think you have worked in some of the liquid absorbing into the material, which is really nice, and overall I think you have a great thing to work with here.

As an aside, i really like your color and texture choices, very pleasant. and natural, but still having a really great style.

Meme "Rocket" Hall

Very interesting, I always love Tender Arms progress. Feels a bit like a medium to explore certain CS topics, but nothing wrong with that.

God dammit im too drunk to finish
Why am i so despresed

I'm having trouble doing this
wiki.unrealengine.com/Cel_Shading_Post_Process

I got until 'Add your newly created material to the post process under Blendables' part.

Someone please spoonfeed me on how to do this.
I just want to see how my models will render in UE4.

This one's called "Seek Etyliv"

>GDQuest.
I look that up, though perhaps after learning through another guide.

>Godot tutorials/HeartBeast

Yeah, I looked that up and found him, but wasn't sure if I should select him over the others. I'll try his videos out.

>Limitations with GM:S

Like what? Are you on 1.4 or 2?

is art progress?

if light is between 0 and 0.3 its band 1
if light is betweeon 0.3 and 0.6 its band 2
if light is between 0.6 and 1 its band 3
if you wanted 3 bands and calculate light between 0 and 1

>Do any Godot devs here have any suggestions?
If you like being analytical, there are these demo projects available: github.com/godotengine/godot-demo-projects
They deal with a small aspect of the engine and demonstrate how one could use it, for example scene switching and object instancing. They don't have a written guide to them, but they are still useful and imho easy to figure out.

I'm not a programmer/I'm going to have someone else do it so I don't really know what you mean.

I meant I'm having trouble at this part

That is pretty much exactly the same kind of dynamics what Wings had back in 90's.

youtu.be/vK82B3BjhaA?t=246

>Like what? Are you on 1.4 or 2?
Studio 1.4
The room editor is the bulk of my problem. It is absolutely the worst feature out of any IDE that I have ever used and most likely will ever used.
But other than that...
I don't like the syntax of GML
The code editor is a pain in the ass
External don't work properly whatsoever (by design)
Module pricing sucks
FPS is tied to an arbitrary speed you set the room to
Docs encourage bad practices by tying framerate to game logic
I really could go on and on (I had to delete a lot because I just started bitching)

I want to put that candy corn in my pocket!

Select your Post Process Volume (or add one) and add your material to the Post Process Materials array.

It used to be called Blendables but they changed it last patch.

Thanks! I may try to decouple the actual quantity of water from the number of visible pixels, even though I'd prefer every single usable thing to be "tangible" if that makes sense (I don't like the feeling of bottomless backpacks, doors evaporating when you kick them, and bodies swallowed by the ground)

The terrain is not generated, I just drew it that way... I'm doing an old-fashioned sequence of manmade levels.

>go in discord
and stay there you scum

>External don't work properly whatsoever (by design)
meant to say external tools don't work properly

thank you user!

I downloaded those before. I think they may make more sense if I learn the base structure of the engine first, though.

I like that they have some isometric examples.

Notes like you describe are just another reason why Godot seems so attractive to me. The progressive development mindset and efficiency of Godot makes it seem like learning how to use it is a worthwhile investment of my time. I'll just spend the next few days learning the ins and outs of it.

Pray for me, /agdg/.

he just said he's autistic about getting advice from people who earn money and avoiding advice from gogem
he's not going to find anything he wants in this thread and while it's not quite likely he will find it in discord, it's still more likely than getting it here

its english just read

I don't think he actually wanted advice and was just trying to start gogem shit

>terrain is not generated
aw.
>I'm doing an old-fashioned sequence of manmade levels.
That makes up for it. It looks great either way, and that lets you add extra flavor to it that RNG can't. I wish my game was structured in a way that would give me that freedom but writing a good procgen was fun anyways.

do you do this for the laughs or are you an actual racist?

You can do it user! Just remember one thing: don't be frustrated when you don't understand something. It's something we all do when we learn something new, but sometimes you just need to nod like you pretend until something is explained in more detail later.
If the tutor tells you to just copy the overly complex code because they don't feel like you'll get it, then copy it and don't ask yourself questions or start googling to learn mode. I used to make that mistake and it made learning 100x harder than it needed to be.

i chuckled

Fact: GoldSrc is the most powerful game engine in the world.

>just need to nod like you pretend until something
just need to nod like you pretend *to understand*

jesus fuck, im sorry i swear im proofreading these and that i speak native english.

>Guy makes a clear joke
>Other "guy"s feeling is hurt because he has never experienced nor understood what real racism is

Thanks for reminding me its summer.

>racist
fuck you puto gringo de mierda, metete tu puto racismo por el culo, malparido gringo marica SJW leftward.

go suck your bull wife semen from her vagina while you raise your bull children.

I'm sick of americans feeling offended in my name.
yes, I'm brown so what?

Also, fuck mexicans, you should not deport them but kill those coachroaches.

fuck you pussy.

goldeneye source was just an OK game desu

Top kek.

jumping is in

Stop being a joke

you couldv've just said yes. no need to get so offended

needs more progress
dont get addicted to comments

I can't see how Mario and Sonic will recover from this display of elegant jumping skills.