What up Veeky Forums

What up Veeky Forums

I just bought my first motorcycle. A 2017 Ninja 300 w ABS. Pic related.

I was real excited at first, especially since I’ve wanted a bike for almost 15 years, but now Im having a change of heart. Im pretty scared. Actually, im really fucking scared. Terrified even. And selfishly, its more about bodily harm, maiming or death
To myself than leaving my recently widowed mother and girlfriend.

Im really hating myself for being such a pussy. Should i be this afraid? Im 36 years old and i consider myself a very good car driver (i drive a stickshift and haven’t had an accident in years), although in my lifetime ive fallen off 50cc mopeds three times (all my fault), totaled one car (i was 21, driving in poor weather, lost control in a curve), and got rear ended once (not my fault). I also hit a cyclist coming out of a driveway but there was nothing i could really do about it, i was peeking out of a driveway and he was riding on the sidewalk. He flew over my hood but he was ok.

It's not really that dangerous. Just wear as much gear as you're comfortable with and learn how to motorcycle safely.

The odds of an average motorcyclist dying in an accident within 15,000 miles is about 0.06%. Or if you commute everyday for 40 years, about 2.4% chance of dying.

What aspect are you scared about?
someone pulling out infront of you? don't drive in the outside lane if you can?
someone rear ending you? lanesplit
someone changing lanes into you? don't fucking ride next to cars.
If you're aware of your surroundings and ride defensively, riding becomes a lot safer. Also, make sure you wear high visibility stuff, so you stand out more.

Congrats on the abs. Good move. I will never buy a bike wo it again.

300 might be a wee bit small for you. You might want to get to 600 for a sport bike or 900+ for a metric cruiser.

Sounds like you consume too much soy

Can you give the source for that stat? What is the comparable percentage for cars?

No im caucasian

Just ask yourself: what's the worst that could happen? Once you realise that the worst thing that could happen is permanent disability or death, it doesnt seem so scary

Thanks for the comments guys. Anyone else learn to ride at a relatively old age? Worrying i wont be able to pick up the necessary flexibility to ride a sportsbike at 36.

ALso should i have gotten a 600cc? Some of my friends suggested skipping the 300 and getting the 600 like pic related.

>Anyone else learn to ride at a relatively old age?

Yes.

IMHO, you have the wrong bike for you. Flexibility has nothing to do with it.

#1: Take a MSF course.

After that:

Your bike is too under powered to be safe in traffic. You need at least 120hp or better to safely burst above 100mph. That's how you get away from frustrated minivan drivers or vaping wrx kids who want to try to prove their car is faster than a bike.

You will enjoy riding a little more if look at sport touring rather than pure sport. VFR, BMW KxxxxR, etc... The position is a little more upright with less stress on the wrists. You will enjoy longer rides and be 9/10 as fast as the sport bikes.

Buy a bike with dual discs up front and abs. Dont cheap on tires-- ever. Get a good riding jacket and a helmet that fits. Add a bluetooth helmet communications set up for music and chatting w/ your buddies. Cheap riding boots can be found via mil surplus jungle boots.

Gear up properly. Enjoy.

Quit being such a pussy lose your fear of death if you ever want to ride a bike. My first bike was pigfat 1500cc cruiser I nearly died several times because it was too big for me and it was old as shit and I was never scared. You have a new lightweight bike with a good sized motor for a beginner there's nothing to be scared of.

>msf course
I took a safety course at Harley and it they didn't teach me anything I didn't already learn driving it around town. The only thing it's good for is lower insurance prices.

That stat is derived from the UK gov't statistics listed on the Motorcycle Safety wikipedia article. Motorcyclists (in the UK) have ~41 deaths per billion passenger mile.

Vs cars, you are 27 times more likely to die on a motorcycle than in a car. So driving a car is like, super-safe.

>>msf course
>I took a safety course at Harley and it they didn't teach me anything I didn't already learn driving it around town.

Then you did not pay attention.

But that's no fun

Cruiser life best life.

This honestly

Yeah, driving a car is boring a fuck, but would you rather have a 0.06% of dying a year in traffic or a 0.0023% of dying a year in traffic?

Smartest thing to do, buy the heaviest, biggest truck you can afford, but wear your motorcycle helmet and all your gear, all the time when you drive it.

Better yet, put on your crash helmet, all your gear all the time and stay inside your house and never, ever leave. That'd be safest.

No I'm severly depressed and but borderline suicidal, might aswell do dangerous fun shit to make it worthwhile

Then, by all means, hop on your bike, grab on the throttle and let the Skid Demon roll the dice for you.

I bet you bleed mascara u emo faggot

Wow anxiety and panic attack much?

(You)
>This honestly

There is no way you could have taken a 4 day MSF course (16 hrs classroom and 16 hrs riding rain or shine) and be asking the questions you are asking. The MSF course is exactly for people like you-- new to riding.

> No I'm severly depressed and but borderline suicidal, might aswell do dangerous fun shit to make it worthwhile

At this point, you are either a larp or a danger to yourself and should not be riding. I will be kind and suggest you are the former because there are quicker and less painful ways to kill yourself. Otherwise, seek help.

I bet you've never done irresponsibly dangerous shit on a motorcycle bitchboy

I don't ride hoping that I'll kill myself on the road, I just don't take precautions that safe riders do because I don't fear death

The initial fear goes away after a few rides

The lingering fear of dumbasses in traffic never goes away

harden the fuck up, softcock

>120hp or better
Trolololololololo

>safety course at Harley
HD's course is famously bad. However, your experience is like getting a flu shot after getting over the actual flu. It's good for the paper work.

Op here. I took the MSF course about a year and a half ago to get my license. I think ill do it again this weekend because ive forgotten most of it. It was a two day classroom and outdoors course. I learned a lot and had to do a skills test at the end. But im not sure how helpful it will be since its taught with honda rebels and mine is a sportsbike.

did you drove it from the dealship?

>But im not sure how helpful it will be since its taught with honda rebels and mine is a sportsbike.
No much differentץ
> I think ill do it again this weekend because ive forgotten most of it
It's a good idea if you feel insecure right now.

>you got a 300 for your first bike? fucking soyboy jesus christ
>you need a busa for your first bike or you're a traffic hazard

why do people try to act hard like this to strangers on the internet? it's honestly pretty embarassing.

You safely get away from retards who want to race by not racing them at 100+mph like a tryhard faggot. That's literally increasing your risk.

You just have to ride "aggressively defensive". Always assume somebody in a car is gonna do something stupid and ride accordingly. Always assume you're invisible on the road, because you are.

The majority of accidents happen at intersections, so that's where you have to be the most careful.

Says the nigger.

No its being shipped to me on tuesday

I am not against small displacement bikes, but the 300 Ninja is absolutely gutless. My 186cc big bore kit grom pulls off the line harder than a friend's ninja 300.

A RC390 or something like that would have been a better choice. You will get bored, and the bike has no legs to get you out of shitty spots with.

>Im pretty scared. Actually, im really fucking scared. Terrified even.
you'll make a good rider
turn that fear into a respect for the bike and what can happen if shit goes wrong