Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums

I just graduated high school and my dad wants to buy me a car. I've always wanted an RX8 or a Miata (I love Mazdas) but he says he'll NEVER buy me one of these (he says they're "killers", I'm guessing it's because they're so low they're unsafe for some reason). Instead he found an E46 M3 which I DO like but I'm afraid it won't have the charm and the handling of the RX8

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the gift but I'd like to have a say in what it is. Wouldn't be a gift I would enjoy if it was an automatic Prius...

Are they that different?

Other urls found in this thread:

rx8blog.com/mazda-rx8-worldwide-awards/
youtube.com/watch?v=vZOB8_JmfO4&app=desktop
youtu.be/xAkJYnxFYJQ
forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=430496#/topics/430496
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Lmao e46 m3 has more charm and handling than any mazda.
RX8 is a slow piece of shit with no torque its one of the worst cars of all time.

Samefag

The M3 is over 200kg heavier than the RX8 and it's less stiff
Revving the shit out of the Renesis is half of the RX8's fun and it's not exactly slow

t. asshurt RX8 owner

Why would I shit on a car I defended in the OP?

We are talking about a car with timeless looks and the best straight 6 ever produced with ~330 whp VS a unreliable rotary car with 230hp and no torque.
Tough call i'm sure

Rotaries can last IF you treat them correctly

I like the M3 too, it just doesn't look like a real sports car to me. It's surely more powerful than the RX8, what I'm worried about is the driving feel and handling

e46 is a very capable and successful race car platform while i can't recall the rx8 being successful at any sort of series.

How about the driving feel? Does the M3 feel as nimble as the RX8?

I'm just asking, not being passive-aggressive

You're both being stupid about this in different ways. OP really likes Mazda and can't look past the NC chassis. user can't look past benchracing. OP, unless you live somewhere with a bunch of super twisty roads I'd consider the Beemer, unless it just doesn't speak to you on the test drive.

I'd suggest you drive them both but E46 M3 feels everything but numb or heavy.
It's not a miata but the M3 performs excellent on track on corners and its a great hoonmobile.
RX8 chassis is fine but the engine is just awfully lacking.
There is a reason e46 m3 so sought after by driving enthusiasts and the value is going up already.

Lol this guy must have never heard of a E46 M3. If he has, this would be a no-brainer. Thanks for the troll thread.

M3 S54 revs up to 8000rpm while putting down actual power, 9000rpm redline is achievable with some tuning.
Renesis revs to 9000rpm and is a unreliable turd with no torque

Is the M3 as fun to drive?
Or will I have to get a job and buy the 8 myself

The M3 is definitely a great car, I'm just looking for a car that's fun to drive and handles well (I don't care THAT much about horsepower)

M3 E46 is considered as one of the best M cars of all time and the "last good M car"
RX8 was never praised for anything particular
I guess it should speak for itself

>RX8 was never praised for anything particular
I'm sorry but that's just flat out wrong
rx8blog.com/mazda-rx8-worldwide-awards/

>1/2JZ
>RFB
>Barra

lol sure

>new car receives some awards
Wow big surprise
Nobody cares about those shitty rotaries hence RX8's can be had for dirt cheap

Holy shit a 9k rpm piston engine

Are there actual power gains from raising the redline? I've heard that lowering it by 300rpm stops the engine from eating itself

Which one of them makes 360hp from a 3.2 liter naturally aspirated?
That's right, none.

M8 I'm aware the M3 is a better car overall, I just like the 8 for what it is
Just a question, what do you think of the FD RX7?

Is this gonna be your first car? I love rotaries but I’m holding off on getting one until I know I can take care of and afford it. I’d definitely test drive the M3 though, you’ll never be able to make a decision if you don’t have enough experience.

Coming from someone who has driven both, i'd say RX7 is just as good as the E46 M3 in terms of driving pleasure/fun
There are some power gains but the biggest gain is the visceral experience of revving an inline six to such rpms
youtube.com/watch?v=vZOB8_JmfO4&app=desktop

Mean to reply

Yeah the first
I've been driving a 2003 Avensis (hence my need for handling and driving feel, that thing made fishboats look like twisty machines) for as long as I had my learners license but my dad sold it

Won't the engine blow up at these revs?

Don’t get an FD without a good income. It needs a lot of TLC and they had serious problems with heat. RCR did a review on one and the owner had to do ungodly things to keep it from melting.
youtu.be/xAkJYnxFYJQ
The lack of torque allegedly makes the drive experience lackluster until you hit higher revs, but you can just watch the review if you want better insight on that.

If properly set up, nope
there are several people driving their (often boosted) 9000+ RPM S50's and S54's for years with no issues

I was thinking about one but I need the rear seats
Plus I think the 8 looks way sexier with a rectangular spoiler and a Mazdaspeed front bumper

go away you furry fuck

That sounds fun

1. Will the rev limit actually show in the instrument cluster? (will the first red rectangle move up?)

2. Would it be worth doing that to the M3 I'm going to get?

On a serious note, the RX8 is a pile of sh..shitbox.
Not worth the maintenance and upkeep of a rotary.
If you like how it looks buy one and LS swap it.

And ruin the weight distribution?

I'd love a 26b RX8 though

Nigga what?
I don't see how you could regret an E46 M3 especially if you have rich daddy who will pay for everything. I understand that the M3 isn't as light and direct as the Miata, but it's still an amazing car. Stop bitching that your dad is buying you a 20-30k car.

Not sure about the instrument cluster but you need to be tech savvy and know how to do your own engine rebuilds or have some $$$ for such mods.
Plenty of articles and topics in forums, i'd definitely do it.
forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=430496#/topics/430496

Just buy a C4 :^)

I'm not rich
Upper middle class at the most

And no I'm not bitching, would you like to waste 15k on your son for something he wouldn't enjoy?

Why don’t you try and get a mazdaspeed 3? They’re pretty quick even by 2018 standards, and they look just like the regular Mazda 3s so you might be able to pull one over on yer pops.

your dad is a faggot, your mom fucks faggots, you're the son of a faghag and a faggot.

chalk and cheese. completely different.

he wont get you those because:

>>rx8 its a rotary: fast and unreliable.
>>miata: too low to the ground. yes even standard height are too low and some cars wont see you. also both not recommended for a learner drivers

e46 are nice but m3 is maintenance heavy more than the non m powered cars.

>FWD
I mean he suggested one, but I chose the M3

How does one not enjoy an M3 of any gen (especially e46 being one of the best gens)
It's an icon of light, compact, daily usable sports cars

Speed6 is AWD iirc. You could look into one of those.

>light
kek

But I didn't say I won't enjoy it, I was talking about the prospect of buying your son an unspecified car that you didn't know he would like

I drove an RX8 once but the owner was sitting in the passenger seat so I couldn't hoon
To be honest it felt MUCH MORE fucking powerful than the gutless Toyota I drove, can't speak for handling because fuck traffic

My friend has an NB Miata that I love as well, sucks we can't drive it (he hasn't got a license yet and I'm not on his insurance)

>rx8 its a rotary: fast
thats a good one

just tell your dad you are interested in the m3 too and go and test drive it.
If you dont like it for some fucked up reason get the rx8.

If your parents can blow 15k on a car for a high school grad, they're pretty well off. My parents gave me 1k for a car.

If you don't enjoy driving an M3, you don't enjoy driving.

Thanks but I prefer RWD, AWD wouldn't be bad but I'm guessing it won't be much different from the FWD I drove, plus how would I hoon in that

Some retard told my dad that the Renesis opens up from a 1.3L to a 2.6L so it gets much more powerful

Everybody has an opinion on shit they don't understand, never said the 8 is fast

don't get an m3 you'll wreck it and they're getting rare

This
OP sounds a like a dumbass talking down on the godmachine (for which his dad is willing to pay for), he doesnt deserve an m3, OP get the mazda.

It just looks kinda like somebody took a sedan and chopped the rear doors off
But it still looks good from all angles

I'm not talking down on it, I just like other cars as well

>looks kinda like somebody took a sedan and chopped the rear doors off
Uhh that's like what all M3's look like

An E46 M3 is a better car in literally every single way than any Miata ever.

The RX8 is a good car but you probably don't want to daily one.

Listen to your dad. Take the free M3.

>this is bait