How are those winter tires holding up, user?

How are those winter tires holding up, user?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SU_HWvKtKhA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I live in Chicago and don't have space for a second set of wheels so I just drive ATs. They work fine, I drive a 4wd explorer but rarely even use 4wd anyways. People are retards and don't know how to drive in poor weather.

Don't want to waste money on stupid winter tires so I just run my all terrains at 22psi.

>Georgia
The rare chance it does snow we just dont do anything

No, you all just literally crash and burn on the interstate and declare a state of emergency.

I have m+s rated all terrains and 4wd. They do okay. Would be better in slush if they weren't a foot wide.

actually, even for winter tires, you need to inflate them 0.1bar more than summer tires.

Good

Only brainlets I see in the ditch are luxury cars and dumb jeeps running mud tires on 2 inches of ice

Good

>on work commute
>decide to stop at sonic on my way
>pull in
>ice
>oh well, i was going slow
>wait for traction as I slow skid
>regain control and resume
>about to tun into the drive-thru part for Sonic
>all ice
>lol nope guess not
>skid right past drive thru turn in
>yank wheel around
>throttle
>rwd drift through next ice patch
>no traffic coming
>all ice
>keep throttle going
>whip around back onto main street

i hit the burger king down the road a little ways, that was the only time I've been denied this season as far as road conditions and my destination have been concerned. Snow isn't a problem, sheets of ice though...

My Nokian Weatherproofs are just fine for this weather.

My Michelin XIce tires are doing quite well. They are pretty great on ice even without studs. They suck in corners though; the sidewalks seem to want to fold even at 35 PSI

When your snows are from the great depression

We had snow here for all of 2 days this winter (Christmas eve and day actually).
Iffy if we'll get anymore.

So I just roll with my normal tires (and I bought new ones in September anyway).

Plus I drive a truck and just added some sandbags over the rear axle.

My faithful Hakkapeliittas get me wherever I need to be whenever

>Sovgum
TRAITOR

Fucking stupid Americans and your all seasons. Every day I read your stupid shit
>hurr you don't need winter tires if you have awd
>durr me and muh bubba run all seasons 365 all year around

t: Northern Yurop

Idk it's sunny and like 55 F

>yuropoor upset that Americans actually know how to drive in the snow
Don't worry, maybe one day you'll learn and can leave the training wheels at home.

I just put some summer tires on my car.
Fuck you and your snow

I have Hakka R2's so I pretty much DGAF about most conditions. I'll drive on the snowy/slushy patches just for shits and giggles.

I need to find an empty place somewhere to find the limits and learn how to control the slides though.

Other thing is that I wonder if I should've gone for 205/55r17 instead of 225/50r17. Stock wheels at 245, but even going down 20mm the tires still look wide as fuck to me.

They're sitting in a corner in my living room. My usual all-seasons seem to be working well enough so far, rwd to boot. Neat.

I'm a poor retard who can't afford snow tires, I've just learned to know where breaking traction occurs and how slow I should be to decelerate. You only need snow tires if you're driving like it's dry conditions, and in that case you deserve sliding into the intersection and then getting slammed by stacy in her dodge caravan

Winter tires aren't a requirement here unless it's pure ice for weeks, and even then, studs are the only plausible option. Driving summer tires in 4 inches of snow shouldn't be a problem for a good driver though.

>you only need snow tires when
What if live in an area where all-seasons dont provide enough traction to for safe driving that doesnt impede other trafficants, let alone get to the place one needs to be if there is any elevation at all?

I live in north Dakota and I've gone through winter with summer tires, it's not impossible or even that difficult

Well, then you need snow tires.

Depends on kind of snow, condition of roads, how much snow, but if you choose an all season that's good in the snow, it's just around town or on the highway, and you have a sense of how to do snowdriving then it's often no biggie.

I was really only concerned this year because it's my first time with rwd and I didn't know if I was going to be getting stuck all over the place or spinning out five times on the way to the grocery store or what.

>Rwd
This is more of a problem than your choice of tire when it comes to your traction in the snow

And I live in Norway, where even with the best tires available there were times where I could not procure adequate traction to get up the mountain road to my workplace

Downhill roads where there are sections so slippery with ice that there are certain stretches you would not be able to stop on, even with the best tires

What happens to the pace of the traffic with a decent snowfall?

>Been running the same set of 10-ply tires for two years now
>They've still got another year left on them according to the local shop
>Living in Georgia so it gets cold for like two weeks in winter and that's it
Eh, they're alright

Really only under power or substantial engine braking. The rest of the time I might as well be driving anything else. I already know the tires I'm using to be pretty snow-cabable mated with awd. rwd is a little hairier of course but so far it's been fun.

Don't know that I'd go try to brave a blizzard or a big unplowed road like I would with awd however.

There aren't any mountains here so that isn't an issue. People just usually drive slower but I live in a small town and we don't get traffic jams. I have awd so getting stuck doesn't happen, even in summer tires

>Driving summer tires in 4 inches of snow shouldn't be a problem for a good driver though.

Ask me how I know you've never done this.

Engine braking is your best friend in coming to a stop on ice. Abs works good too but both together works like a charm. No power to the front wheels sounds like an understeering nightmare in the snow

I have a lowered car and I could feel the snow rubbing against the bottom of my car. As long as you have awd then snow isn't a huge issue like it is in rwd

>Michelin x-ice xi3
Jesus christ might as well have all seasons on

I deflate them so the tread isn't as rigid and can throw mud instead of it getting stuck

So... you still think there arent people out there who genuinely need decent winter tires?

Yeah engine braking has always been my favorite thing in the winter fwd or awd. It's been a pleasant surprise that it still works pretty good with rwd instead of just making the rear pop loose on corners or whatever.

For the most part though once the car is in motion it's not a really big deal. Sure you have to expect to counter steer, but once you get the hang of holding it it slightly sideways it starts to become old hat. Definitely would not want to try to plow through deep snow or something of course.

>As long as you have awd then snow isn't a huge issue like it is in rwd

You've never driven in snow with summer tires.

If you had you'd know that a good summer tire will have next to zero traction in snow and ice. AWD means fuck all if you can't steer or stop.

I have summer tires on my awd sbubby and it's sketch as fuck in the snow

>People just usually drive slower
Thats also the thing; traffic does not slow down here. Sure, if the road isnt plowed and you're in the middle of a two-foot 24 hour snowfall the speeds will drop a little bit - outside of that we keep the same speeds, which is something no all-season/summer tire would remotely allow

You wouldnt be able to get going in a lot of cases, and if you did you would never be able to keep the speed limit while also maintaining a safe braking distance

I ride snowmobiles and they are basically constant understeer machines if steered with the skis. I rode them for a long time like that and it was really frustrating because it was hard to turn. Eventually I learned to countersteer the skis and weight shift at the same time to turn the track on it's side and turn that way, but I got pretty good at turning with a understeering nightmare. I translated this understeering issue over to driving and i found that it's pretty easy to keep the front wheels from sliding with throttle and brake control. Doesn't matter how shitty the tread is.

That's an important difference then. All the places I've been in the northeast of the US that reliably get snow and maybe a lot of snow every year, you can tell who you're probably going to see in a ditch down the road by who doesn't slow down.

Of course main roads are usually get plowed or salted before too long unless it's a major snowfall that just takes time to recover from. If you have to deal with a lot of back roads or private roads or whatever then you're probably going to care more about having a tire and a vehicle that can handle it.

Good thing I don't live in Norway lmao

Great, got some for my stang. I rip past boomers in 3/4 ton trucks, throwing snow at them while in a perpetual skid.

Dick Cepek Extreme Country tires are excellent in the snow.
33" x 12.5"

I live in a big city where the roads are constantly plowed and salted, I have no need for summer tires

*Winter tires

>hear Veeky Forums talk about winter tires 24/7 like its fucking essential as oxygen
>Huge ass blizzard hits the northeast, 12" of now
>Do just fine driving before, during, and after the blizzard on all seasons. All I have to do is slow down a bit.

Wow.
I seriously hope no one got shilled hard on this board by this winter tire meme.

Next thing you know, we'll see "hey Veeky Forums, you are't driving without your fall tires are you!? You need specific tires to drive on the crusty freshly fallen leaves! You can't just use summer or all season tires!!!"

I've also seen Blizzaks get mentioned in every single winter tire thread. For those of you who are more aware, take notice that this is a viral advertising campaign on this board.

>Advertise to car savvy young guys, or those who see themselves as such
>They buy winter tires
>tell everyone they know that they also need these things that they've never used before and neither did their parents or grandparents
>Create entire new generation of people wasting their money on blizzaks

The most viral of viral marketing campaigns.
If you MUST buy winter tires, there should be a sticky on Veeky Forums to specifically not purchase blizzak tires which were the source of this marketing scheme and should not profit.

>Do just fine driving before, during, and after the blizzard on all seasons. All I have to do is slow down a bit.
And where were you driving? Highways that had already been plowed and salted? I'm not even going to read the rest of your post because I'm busy pooping.

They're goddamn magnificent. Set of 185/65R15 Bridgestone Blizzaks in CDN dollars

Thank you Costco for your dirt cheap tires.
But be warned the 185s weren't an approved fitment for my vehicle so they declined to install them and refunded the $60 labour fee. So despite the fact I have put on 185s before without issue, I still took my car to a friend at the stealership and got them mounted and balanced for $75 plus tax.

I used sort of mid-shelf snow tires last year for the first time. Compared to a good choice of all-seasons this year I am not very impressed with the difference. There is a difference but not very big for just sort of average local conditions.

I have no doubt that people who live in areas where it makes sense to pony up for serious winter tires wouldn't want to be without them.

Those look great, my dude

But fucking terrible on ice though

t. someone who drove on AT's on snow for a bit

>People just usually drive slower

Yeah its the same deal here, 90% of cars where I am have winters and the 10% that don't inevitably either crash into a ditch or snowbank or slam into other people.

People who go fast in the snow or floor it around parking lots at least make it obvious who to keep your distance from.

I once got pulled over driving under but close to to the speed limit as a major storm was getting real just because there had already been so many accidents already in such a short time that night. Buzzkill, but let off with a warning and the dude probably did the right singling out people going faster than average.

>>People just usually drive slower
>Yeah its the same deal here

I meant people drive the limit or above even when the roads are snow covered here, only slow down in whiteouts really.

Yeah theres definitely people who literally drive on the snow as if it was dry tarmac, they are the ones who slide through stop signs and fly off corners lel

I live in northern fucking Utah and it has snowed TWICE since this entire winter. Absolutely pissed, I just wanted to enjoy my snow tires early in the comfy Sunday morning with some coffee and low traffic. Drift up some parking lots maybe. But no, it's been 40-50 F since New year's. REEEEEEE

As it should be user

>tfw don't need to buy an extra pair of tires
>tfw all you need to do is make a slight change to driving style
>tfw some Range Rover rear ended you into a ditch and now hes paying for your brand new paintjob

I have blizzaks and its quite amazing. Nothing like crunching throw the fresh snow like it was asphalt.

As well as expected, I guess.

former Ogdenfag here, I miss cruising up the canyon and playing around in the empty parking lots in front of the lake after a fresh snow. Go do some donuts for me user.

Don't need em. Sure it's colder than it's been in decades, but there's no snow so far.

>Forth season on Winterforce UV tires
>Ran them in the summer last summer
>Still running them on the Safari this year

They're definitely due for replacement. I intended to replace them as they're extremely noisy tires, but they still do okay. Tread life is down to about 11/32 last I checked.

My sister has the Safari until I fix her car. The tires on her car are a mix of Blizzaks and some weird Douglas winter tires. All of which are completely bald and absolutely terrifying. It's so frustrating driving her car as I'm now the guy I cannot stand on the road.

The tires on the Subaru are the ones the previous owner put on. Some kind of all season falkens that hardly do okay in snow.

>It's not me, it's you
I wish northern Michigan would enforce mandatory winter tires.

The difference is literally night and day. I get so frustrated following people going 25-30mph because they chose to run the wrong tire for the season.
>You wouldn't use sand slinger tires to go mudding

Ogden area as well. I would if it would snow. Huntsville got one or 2 big drops around Christmas but it's been dry ever since

>Due for replacement
>11/32

That's roughly the tread depth on a new defender ltx. Pic related

>No tire is good on ice.

I live in Michigan, I've had snow tires on my truck.
These Dick Cepek's are MO BETTA! My experience driving here keeps me safe on the ice.

Yeah I agree with you, but some studless are better then AT's.

The AT's you can stud though must be pretty good. I'd do it if it wasnt fucking illegal here.

I'm running Firestone all seasons on my 2wd Vibe and they suck ass in the snow. I can easily spin the tires going 15mph in second.

Just how good does ice get? Black ice has to be about the most terrifying thing and I can't imagine anything short of like studs or chains doing much against it.

Or are you talking about patches of lumpy, or gritty or crunchy ice that tend to crop up eventually?

Great meme friend what's your instagram

I saw studs in tires out in Colorado. Didn't seem like they tore up the roads. I'm curious to know why studs are illegal in the Great Lake State.

Im talking about salt melting the roads, making everything good and slush wet.
Then the temp drops to zero (below with the wind) and the roads freeze to a solid sheet of ice. The salt won't work at these temps. So us Michigander's just adapt, and drive on.

they aren't explicitly illegal here but they have to pass MDOT road wear standards and studs haven't yet iirc

Is that a late 70's- early 80's ford thunderbird? Or mercury cougar?
It even has 4 lug, my guess is this the car.

Ahh...upper peninsula needs studs. Lower peninsula is optional.
Lol

>have winter tires
>no snow
feelsbad

Does that turn in to something like flat glare ice for you there? I'm a few states to the east and usually when that happens it winds up with enough texture on the ice that you can still get by as long as you're careful about remembering that there's really not a lot of grip to work with.

Definitely something that would merit snow tires of some sort if it happened too frequently.

Just get all-terrains, they're shit on wet pavement and mediocre in snow but they look awesome you feel like a badass driving over literally everything in your way.

>tfw you look for nails and piles of broken glass to drive through

just avoid hills and ur good fameroni

Just took those off my truck. Noisy as all hell. They performed alright in the winter. But when the got to about 5/8" life...they lost all grip.
They werent a bad tire for the money though.

I travel from oakland county to houghton county 5-10 times a year. I'm hip to hills.
I have property in Calumet.

nice
i'm living in hancock right now
calumet seems pretty fucked with snow and poverty but houses are cheap at least

I got 15 acres heavily wooded for 8k awhile back. Let the logging company clear cut 4 right in the center.
Fucking love it up there

Lol, i got lost a few years back, ended up on Park Ave.
Thought i was back in Detroit for a minute

>when the cheaper knockoff outperforms the richfag's version

GG's are amazing on snow

>cheaper knock off out performs

People that can't afford, usually complain about people that can afford.

>look how rich I am by buying the inferior name brand
Hey at least ppl will be admiring your wealth as you spin your overpriced garbage tires in 2cm of snow lmao

>careful your envy is showing

>Not a single flake of snow
>Worse grip on dry and wet than my summers
Just kill me already

Yeah but my tires got thrown out of an airplane and worked just fine after being mounted directly onto a Jeep.

Besides I've actually seen KO2s go through hell and back, anyone who thinks they're just a meme is either misinformed or just a mad poorfag. Not implying you're either, but KO2s absolutely assrape Generals and Toyos. The only thing that comes close are Wranglers, but like said they're noisy as fuck. KO2s aren't that noisy IMO.

youtube.com/watch?v=SU_HWvKtKhA

Deflation does not work on hard surfaces. Deflation only makes the tire slightly wider which is great for trying to get through mud, sand, and deep snow. What happens on harder surfaces (asphalt, hard pack dirt, etc) is running a low pressure puts more weight on the edges of the tires, and less on the center. thus substantially reducing traction. This under-inflation portion of this chart crudely shows this in effect.

Very nicely

>KO2s go through hell and back

Not gonna happen with 2ply tire.

Proper MT tires like GY G90 or Mich XZL which come of commerical Patrol/Landcruiser/Hilux are like 10ply or so.

The last time it snowed at my elevation it was 1871.
Shoutouts to Otto Von Bismarck.

Slav europoor here.

Didn't even bother putting snow tires on this year, global warming is at full swing here, no snow at all.

I once bought all seasons, brand new, for a subaru legacy i had (4wd)

I hit a patch of literally like 2 inches of snow, had zero control, couldnt turn and went off the road and crashed

For my current BMW i bought used studded Nokian winter tyres, and i can plow through 5x more snow than that and have complete control.

If you think winter tyres are just a meme, then you're either an idiot, or have never driven in snow

dsdsa

>BMW

EG Civic with summer tires.

I live in a rural part of illinois, and we hardly ever see a plow or a salt run, weve had a plow run twice this yearmy cooper ice tires are holding up great. My panther handles like it has four wheel drive