RAM 1500 - AMA

I worked as a release engineer on exterior parts at the time this was designed, looks like it hasnt changed much since I left FCA. AMA about the exterior design.

yes the design process is as absurd as you think

Other urls found in this thread:

cbc.ca/news/dodge-ram-steering-under-investigation-1.1113040
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's absurd about the design process?

Do you know if the steering system was updated to not break if you breathe on it the wrong way?

I found the "inspiration room" pretty absurd. basically they plaster the walls with pictures of stuff they want to imbued the design with. but its almost cartoony. Pictures of deserts, cactus, shirtless hipsters surfing, cowboys, black guys in suits next to murdered out trucks. large cutouts of kid rock. Women in flannel towing boats

Then they take it to sketches which actually look like the ones they float around after. then draw something closer to real life, and build a buck.

I just found it funny how pretentious the whole thing was. like they were transending these design themes to speak to the customers.

No clue, from what I remember the frame is almost identical to the outgoing model to save cost. however im not sure if that changed since I left. id imagine the steering was updated.

Those mirrors look hella small for a truck that large.

Its because of 2 things:

1: Mirror shake. because the new brightwork goes all around the mirror it reduces the footprint that the mirror can have on the door. this leads to a really flimsy mirror so they needed to shrink them.

2: visibility again because of the brightwork the mirror moved back sucking up A-pillar visibility, which means its really easy to miss the kid crossing an intersection in front of the truck. they shrunk the mirrors to give a little back

fun fact they were considering having 2 sets of doors one for standard mirrors and one for towing mirror because the visibility was impacted. the whole project was a shitshow of poor design choices. the truck is markedly more expensive because of it.

Do you think that making it look like a Tundra people will assume it's reliable?

That's probably exactly why they split Ram into its own company, Dodge has a really poor brand image as far as vehicle quality goes and making the trucks "not dodges" might have helped that a bit.

>the all new RAM
>inspired by a cactus and a woman towing a boat
The absolute state of dodge

bread on evidence

I read that in May-sempai's voice desu~

>...and hammers

when can I get a OEM sticker of DODGE THE FATHER RAM THE DAUGHTER

It kind of looks like RAM and GM decided to work together and meeting the middle when it comes to that grill. I was just looking at the 2019 Chevy and it's not the same but there are distinct similarities.

All automakers do this shit unfortunately.

lol

Whats wrong the steering brother? Ive had 3 Ram1500s of this generation and never had an issue with the steering. My current Ram has electric assist and hasnt failed either.

This is the only pic I got inside the design studio meeting room.

I wish I could have gotten the "personality boards" for each of the trim offerings. the long horn was about as clitche as you can get.

theres also a top of the line trim coming that was also inspired by luxury boats. my assumption is it will surpass $80k msrp

cbc.ca/news/dodge-ram-steering-under-investigation-1.1113040

What can you tell me about the design dome.

Seriously?
I remember them doing that on old new top gear but I thought they were joking.

It will surpass the $80k mark, and they will sell everyone they make.

I'm picturing the personality boards full of cowboy boot leather, rustic woods, and Jackson Hole, Wyoming. lol the design world is something else isn't it?

as this design was coming together, did anyone notice it was (unintentionally, I presume) taking on a bit of a resemblance to the Ford Ranger (previously Rest Of World, but now coming to NA)?

It's ok because Ford's Everest sold overseas looks like a Dodge Durango.

i feel like this is the only truck left that has chrome trim

it most certainly does lol
i guess what i was asking isn't DOES it look similar. we know it does.
more wondering, when a design just starts to take the shape of something else, do the designers realize that and take a step back, or just go with it?

We spent a good 8-9 months on the first iteration, and Sergio rejected the front end said it looked too much like the outgoing model. it was back to the drawing board I left before they decided on this design.

there was a huge blow up picture of Sam Elliot on the longhorn board. it was fucking hilarious. unfortunately nobody there is self aware enough to get how ridiculous it is.